Does anyone else hate the fact that over the course of all seven films...

Does anyone else hate the fact that over the course of all seven films, Harry makes no discernible effort to become good at magic? I mean, for starters, this kid finds out aged 11 that he’s a wizard, a fucking WIZARD, yet he doesn’t seem to be bothered in the slightest in developing or honing this incredible gift, and instead fucks around in his classes for the next six years, often struggling to master the most basic of spells.

Surely, after seeing Lord Voldemort return from the dead, and later finding out that you must be the one to kill him, you would devote some time to training and learning spells. Harry, on the other hand, seems to prefer letting others carry him, and die for him, rather than picking up a book.

In his fifth year, his unequivocal bone-idleness is responsible for the untimely death of Sirius Black. At this point most people would realize that they need to stop being such an entitled little bitch if they don’t want to see all of their friends and family die. One has to wonder if Harry is actually a sociopath. Personally, I like to think he approached Nearly-Headless Nick because he was shit scared of Sirius returning as a ghost, ready to haunt his pathetic waste of life until the day he dies.

Even when he learns that he must be the one to kill Lord Voldemort nothing changes. He spends his sixth year chasing Draco around when he should have been training. In fact, he’s so utterly incompetent that despite following Draco for a whole year, he makes no headway in preventing the boy’s plot. Even when his extreme lack of foresight costs the life of Albus Dumbledore, nothing changes. Over the summer he does no research, he devises no plan. As usual he is carried completely by his two friends.

Gryffindors are supposed to display extraordinary courage and bravery. I find myself wondering why the sorting hat had a hard time placing Harry, since one can truthfully admit that they are the only two positive characteristics he ever shows.

inb4 unfunny copy pasta about the series being dull or whatever

>waaah where's muh training arc I wish this was naruto

fuck off

Wizards seem to be one trick ponies, anytime someone else comes along with more than one trick they end up trying to take over the world.

Harry's one trick was disarming spells. Also it wouldn't be fun if every book was Harry sitting in the study with dumblefag touching wands all damn day

Did you actually expect anything more from the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>Surely, after seeing Lord Voldemort return from the dead, and later finding out that you must be the one to kill him, you would devote some time to training and learning spells. Harry, on the other hand, seems to prefer letting others carry him, and die for him, rather than picking up a book.
It was written by a woman. What the fuck did you expect?

I thought the same thing
I'd be training super hard learning all the cool shit i could

To be fair, didn't the prophecy said he would win in the end? So what is the point?

apply yourself, triggered Tumblrette.

>sit around and train and learn as many spells as you can
>have fun in a magic castle and comfily soak up all the magic around you

what would you rather do OP?

Came here to post this

>world filled with magic
>can do shit like fire snakes and teleporting around
>at least 2 immortal men in the world
>can literally become a demigod
>all you need to do is get off your ass
>"lol dude let's play quidditch"

BRAVO ROWLING

Thanks doc

Do you guys think the governments of the world recruit wizards for clandestine purposes?

Surely the government, especially the surveillance-crazy UK, could not have a shitload of wizards around without knowing about it.

How much investigation is there about womens and the fact that they do not want to achieve a thing. I have female friends and almost all of them love to point out that they are bored or that something is boring them. They seem to live just for entertaining and not for something to leave behind. Of course there are girls that work hard but the majority lacks of the drive to get better.

I'd rather do the one that makes me more likely to not die at 17

This is actually a pretty good point

Like, after his first year at hogwarts Harry seems kind of BORED with learning magic.

Why would he? The best wizards all die trying to be the hero. All you have to do is have people do the hard work for you.

Ambition and hard work is for Slytherine.

Potter's power level was shit, he was just paper to rock Voldemort.

All the teachers would've rekt him in 1v1.

Jesus fuck a shitposting thread with all these replies. Harry is the defacto defense against the dark arts teacher year five. He knows his shit, if you didn't notice je didn't exactly have all his time to devote to studying years 1-5

Why are Harry's adoptive parents so comically evil? I mean, do they have to be fat, and completely repulsive, and treat Harry like a slave for us to sympathize with him? Why can't they just be indifferent?

Rowling is such a hack.

>write kids books about magic and magical adventures in the world of magic and wonder and shit
>instead of having fun and getting into magic related trouble all the kids in the book are studious and boring
>try to explain this to your audience of 10 year old's by going into detail about the various power levels and hypothetical power levels of your children's book characters
>nobody ever buys the first book because it reads like magic for asspies and kids just want to have fun

>characters have no ambition our work ethic to become better wizards
>instead just fuck around a giant castle with moving staircases while the one girl cucks the protag

who /nerd/ here

They did nothing wrong. They took in an entitled little piece of shit who would later on always sneeze about how much better he is than his muggle family, just like his mom did. He also almost got his own cousin killed, plus the cases where he was abused with magic. What did they do? Let him stay there, out of the goodness of their heart.

whoever made that should consider suicide

Would Harry have mastered the designated shitting spells, if he had lived in pre-18th-century Hogwarts?

Out of what orifice does he pull the ability to do all these defensive spells though? We only ever actually see him working on his patronus.

Does Rowling get paid to churn out this shit? Or has she just fallen fully off the edge of the fame cliff and gone bat shit insane?

Lupin and Crouch actually taught him shit you know, and he learned it.

The only defensive spell he was shit at was Occlumency.

This is actually true as fuck.

>from the dullest franchises
you fucked up

>wizards have powers to alter the fabric of reality on a whim
>primarily use them to automate simple household chores
>have access to house elves: a willingly servile slave race with magical powers far beyond the capacity of the average wizard
>also just use them for household chores
yea these books were definitely written by a woman

Pretty much this. It's like people don't even pay attention to the books.

Harry is really good at Defense Against the Dark Arts. Better than any other student at Hogwarts, and even the people testing him in book 5 were impressed. He just didn't care much about his other subjects, and that's kind of the point of the character. Harry is supposed to be kind of mediocre and lazy; one of his biggest flaws is that he'd rather go half-assed into a flawed investigation than study. He's a poor student because he's lazy, and when he actually applies himself, he can be talented.

harry potter is a mary sue

>when he actually applies himself, he can be talented.

Nonsense, Potter was as untalented as he was arrogant, just like his worthless father.

POO

IN

SORTING HAT

It's 2017, fascist. If you're not a complete and utter grownup baby you know nothing about culture.

SHARTS

IN

HOGWARTS

Wasn't he also good at Charms when he took that test? I remember him fucking up in Transfiguration and obviously shitting up Potions.

>learn there's fucking magic out there
>and you can perform magic
>You don't even have to study for it if you know the spell, just train your pronounciation and wizard waving skills and you'll fucking create gold or water or women out of the blue
>think it's boring/whatever and don't even try to learn more about this world or dragons or witches or fucking tree ents, just go along like a half-asleep mental midget

I just can't wrap my head around this.

That's the whole point. If he'd applied himself across the board, he'd have been in a better position to stop Voldemort months or years in advance. The point is he has the raw power to defeat Voldemort in battle, but his laziness causes loads of pointless deaths.

What's the point of studying magic other than disarming spells for DAtDA? Arent the unforgivable curses unblockable and immune to counterspells? Why don't they just spend all of their time studying acrobatics and shit to dodge the killing curse?

>WHAT IS DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY???

holy shit op and everyone else itt kill yourselves the entire 5th movie did this

I always felt there was a problem like this. There was just this insurmountable gap from average wizards to the good/great ones. Even by the 7th book, Harry Ron and Hermione still seem absurdly outclassed by the good magicians. Like Snape or McGonagall could absolutely rape all 3 of them easily.

Making the killing spell unblockable really was retarded

>he has the raw power to defeat Voldemort in battle

No he doesn't. People seem to think Harry had some stupid hidden power level but he didn't. His mother's death is the only reason he lived the first time, he can only talk to snakes because of Voldermort and he was pretty shit at everything else, and most magic they study in Hogwarts is completely fucking useless.

There are 3 useful classes, DatDA, Potions and Charms. That's it.

He's only good at DADA because he's like 5% Voldemort though, not because he's put any effort in to studying or working on his spells (other than his patronus which Voldemort wasn't much help on).

Avada is blockable by physical objects, so it's not that OP

>transfiguration isn't useful

Why don't wizards just wear armor?

>not carrying a shield
fucking retards.

If you don't want to be an animagus, it's completely useless.

They know. It's a shill thread my hindu friend
They were chased out of /lit/ and now they spam here

Why didn't all battles reduce down to people standing behind shields shooting avadas at each other?

Yeah, even though Hermione is supposed to be a genius wizard student she still sucks at dueling.

>random teenage students are taught how to transform sentient creatures into inanimate objects
>they fuck up constantly so their teacups have twitching mouse tails and ears and shit
How is this ethical?

Maybe you can't be touching the physical object or something?

Avada kedavra is hard to cast repeatedly unless you're Dumbledore/Voldemort level

Go read HPMOR if the inconsistencies bother you that much. Harry Potter is a children's franchise, not an attempt to accurately predict how magic would play out irl.

He was never going to beat Voldemort in a fight no matter how much he trained. Voldemort was particularly naturally gifted. Harry was just some chucklefuck who was brave. The only way he could (and did) beat Voldemort was by using hax.

Why don't you ask her on twitter you virgin beta male? Maybe she can stomp your numale ass too

Moody explains it in 4. It takes the urge to kill to cast the spell properly and most people aren't capable of that.

What did she do to make people hate her?

stomp THIS
>*pulls out Mandrake*
>battle is over in two seconds because Voldemort didn't bring earmuffs

It's a death metaphor.

It's explained and demonstrated that the reason why the Unforgivable Curses are so unforgivable is that you have to MEAN them. As Mad-Eye Moody (actually Barty Crouch Jr.) says, the whole DAtDA class could attempt to perform the killing curse on him and nothing would happen because you have to hate someone so much on a level that apparently doesn't typically exist even in despicable people's hearts.

became a brooding twitter feminist and started changing characters to make them gay

Harry does a Cruciatus on Bellatrix but it doesn't work properly.

THAT'S FUCKING IT. YOU'RE GOING TO GET IT

Most of the cool shit Dumbledore did in his Voldemort duel was Transfiguration.
Also,
>not wanting to be an animagus

>Avada is blocked by shields
>opponent has a shield
>"hmm, I think I'll use this one particular spell the other guy has specifically prepared a hard counter for, instead of shooting flames at him or collapsing the ceiling or Transfiguring the ground into quicksand or something"

You're a special kind of stupid, you know that? Because you actually thought your post was smart and not dumb as fuck.

>it's an odran thinks he's smart enough to cyber bully other people episode

Why not just conjure eagles to kill Voldemort?

Exactly, it hurts her for a split second and knocks the breath out of her and that's it. Even though Harry saw her kill Sirius and he was the closest thing Harry had to a father. As mad as Harry was, it still wasn't enough to fuel a proper Cruciatus Curse. And Harry's not really portrayed as being more moral than anyone else in the books.

Would a thermonuclear detonation have penetrated the magical shell around Hogwarts?

why didn't they just learn the dark arts

Dumbledore was extremely racist.

This kind of stuff is actually interesting

>Platoon of soldiers with machine guns vs platoon of wizards

>look it up
>it's canon

What a literal shitshow of a setting

>oh hey these assholes killed my entire family
>they even added their neighbors as a bonus
>nope, i don't have urge to kill them, no siree, i'm a good wizard

Yes. In fact, one Soviet-era bomber could've won the battle for either side. The real reason the Statute of Secrecy exists is because without it, wizards would realise Muggles left them in the dust decades ago. Their entire world would collapse.

What's the threshold for something becoming a Muggle device? Clocks function fine. What's the lowest level of technological advancement before something stops working?

>run the math on it
>Dumbledore would have had to use that magic

This is fast approaching wookiepedia levels of autism.

Why do people defend this shit series? She is literally no better than georgio martin