jesus christ this movie

>237 MILLION dollar budget
>4 years to actually make, not including conceptual ideas and preplanning
>made over 3 Billion dollars worldwide
>one of the highest grossing films out of any other.
>completely forgotten by pretty much everyone

Avatar was a masterpiece, and easily deserves to have a spot in Popular culture, even several years later. It's visual effects, plot, and storyline were masterpieces, yet I have never heard anyone tell me there favorite movie was Jame's Cameron's Avatar. Why do you think this is, Sup Forums? How could such a high grossing film have so little impact on the world around us? Titanic didn't even make as much money, nor did The Matrix, yet both of those movies are still very relevant despite being even older than Avatar. What caused such a good movie to fade into obscurity?

Its story and characters are utterly forgettable.

it was a theater experience if you didnt go see it in the theater you missed out. the movie is pointless to watch at home. so after its run people just forgot about it.

>completely forgotten by pretty much everyone
What are you, 12? Everybody knows the movie. They might not remember the plot but they sure as fuck remember the 3d experience they got.

>le its not memorable meme
don't worry, james did exactly what was needed to create the space for 4 more movies to be made without exhausting their exposure. when it's said and done, this will be more groundbreaking than the star wars trilogy.

It was cool looking. That was literally it. Everything else was a rehashed shit festival of movie tropes. You see it once in theatres and then you forget about it.

>wah wah wah muh diaper is full of big, wet, smelly Avaturds!

>Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves IN SPAAAAACE
>good plot and story

lol no

It was eye candy, plain and simple. The plot had been done before and done better. Avatar was a massive success because of how amazing it looked to the point of word of mouth spreading it around and the fact that it had zero competition when it came out.

>start of the 3D fad
>go watch avatar
>left eye fucked since childhood, no proper binocular vision so no 3D
>miss out on all the fun and hype

Fuck this movie for making me pay more for a worse experience

I love Avatar but never talk about it because I don't want people to think I fap to blue cat people.

>conceptual ideas and preplanning
It really was monumental
it spanned several decades
and several movies, books, and so on
from ferngully and dances with wolves
way back to early decades of sf
truly a masterpiece

If a story can only be told in one specific format, then it's simply not a good story.

Hopefully the humans are in every movie. I really liked their future tech.

>237 MILLION dollar budget
Less than BvS...

hi.

Who cares if they do? Own it

>thinking "story" means anything

Ultra-pleb with no hope of reform. End your life.

The sequel is 2018 now, I don't get it. There isn't some deep storytelling going on here, it's just a fun action movie so why is it taking so long?

(James Cameron)'s Avatar was literally the movie Pocahontas...

>>completely forgotten

Whats with this maymay? I'm just waiting for sequels.

>It's visual effects, plot, and storyline were masterpieces

Visual effects yes, plot/storyline lol no. The reason that people have forgotten about Avatar is that it's a forgettable movie. Forgettable cast, forgettable plot, forgettable scenes. Its most memorable attribute is its financial success.

Er, it wasn't a good movie? It was just a mishmash of all sorts of other things that had done it better before

But that's true if every movie. They're ll better in the cinema.

Sup

A B A T A P
B
A
T
A
P

What's up with this meme? I need a quick rundown.

Just now realizing it's 'Avatar' in slav.

That's just what butthurt haters believe

Eh I thought that too. Then a few weeks ago I downloaded the highest quality version I could find and threw it on my 65" smart tv. That shit was absolutely fucking GORGEOUS.

I don't shit on it anymore. It's a visual spectacle and it knows it. Nothing has come close since, and that's coming from someone who only really ever gives a fuck about the writing of a film. This one made me put my pretentions aside that last time, regardless of the fact that it's pocahontas in space.

That movie is shallow and pedantic, and it insists upon itself.

I miss the old Sup Forums when this crapfest came out.

ABATAP and banned threads and monikers.

Good times

NeyNey

Because the first movie made so much damn money that they decided to rewrite the script and make FOUR sequels, ALL AT ONCE.

I'm hoping that this means the sequels will be of a quality on par with the first one, if not better. Because usually the sequel turns out to be complete shit compared to the first one. Only the third or fourth movies are as good as the first.

But if Avatar really did make that much money, and if they really did rewrite the scripts, then if we are lucky they simply expanded it, and added in a shit ton of details to each character and their backgrounds, as well as world building. Rather than just canning the original script and starting over from scratch.

What was it like?

I want Neytiri to hold me close and cuddle!

>I want Neytiri to hold me close and cuddle!

I want her to hold you close and give you Space Aids, faggot.

why are you so angry user, have some more Neytiri to cheer you up

>ITT: Butthurt haters being butthurt about the #1 movie of all time
Cry more
0/10 you're just butthurt

It made 2.78 billion tho

James never delivered Avatar 2. In fact, he hardly merchandised this at all.

green nigger woman > blue nigger woman

They said the same thing about Terminator 2. Look how that turned out.

Why the fuck did they spoil the whole plot with the trailer? Why did they make the hoomans so cartoonishly evil? Did they not give a single fuck about the story?

>being wrong
>not being right

Like, I don't understand why they are making a sequel to Avatar at all, much less fucking 10 years after the release when Avatar was out of the zeitgeist in like 2 years.

Avatar had no cultural impact at all, if anything, it's more seen as a joke now.

And not to mention, Avatar didn't have a big, engrossing plot that has many seams in it just waiting to be explored. It was a really simple, boring movie who's plot was wrapped up with one movie. Now they want to take that and expand it in to fucking 3 more movies?

It was forgotten by everyone because the good guys, aka the Navis have a fucking ugly design and no one wants to be associated with that.

The story is basic but really well executed but never at a single moment can someone empathize with big nosed giant blue hippie cats ffs

>Now they want to take that and expand it in to fucking 3 more movies

4*

take that back!

It was alright. And it had a 3 meter tall catgirl waifu, so there's that. But is it really some sort of timeless classic? I don't really think so. I mean, I liked it more than Inception which, inexplicably, seems to be remembered a lot more fondly but that's not saying much.

a big part of entering popular culture is about being marketable. No one wants that shit plastered on their products, it just looks silly.

i mean nothing can resist such an aweful design. I'm pretty sure Star Wars would have been aweful if the main protagonists and the Rebels in general were giant blue cats too and then it turns out Darth Vader is Luke father which means he's a giant blue cat in a suit

I dunno, the most compelling bit was the humans thirst for colonization. I'd like to see more of them tearing across the universe and reaching for the stars. Tbh I think that one macro of the human military commanders speech that isn't in the movie is my favourite part so if they base the next few movies on that one Sup Forums meme I saw it should be good. I just want Aliens 2: Blue guys boogaloo.

Who am I kidding it's gonna be more LOL BLUE GUYS, MUH NATURE, MUH COLONIALISM IS BAD tripe.

Gameplay > Graphics.

>No one wants that shit plastered on their products

I do

I hope abatap comes back

First mainstream popular director-centric cinematic universe should atleast happen once. Seems like Cameron wants to take that risk. First he wanted his own Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Now he wants his own MCU.

I know what you mean. But James Cameron is a huge environmentalist. The best we can hope for is some cool villains.