People often bitch about realism in fight choreography but wouldnt realism be boring...

People often bitch about realism in fight choreography but wouldnt realism be boring? Arent films meant to take you away from reality anyway? Whats the best movie that does realistic fight choreography well? Post some fight scenes too

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oiq2pBrLyNw
youtube.com/watch?v=xeS6y6mbUzY
youtube.com/watch?v=-j58krZFb38
youtube.com/watch?v=FAY2LYoYCAU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Arent films meant to take you away from reality anyway?

Then why are documentaries a thing? And to your broader point, why not both? I like Shoot Em Up and John Wick.

I think above all the viewer should be able to see and understand what is going on in the fight, even if it's something over the top in wuxia the camera doesn't confuse the action.

You could have two experienced boxers in a ring but if you suddenly start cutting back and forth between different angles and shaking the camera it's going to be trash.

I think the realism comes from hiring performers who either can actually fight or have trained in fighting for the particular film. It's the reason why Donnie Yen's fights in xXx were fun to watch and creative whereas Vin's were slow and edity very choppy. Yen can set up and accomplish a series of visually impressive punches kicks and aerial acrobatics in a single take whereas the bigger untrained star can bairly through a single punch convincingly without the use of choppy fast edits and breaks.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oiq2pBrLyNw

Nice

Ralphie/Tony fight in Sopranos.

No one wants real fights because real fights don't last long. When you fight to win, you don't fuck around.

They alley fight in They Live, they only didn't connect on face & nut punches.

youtube.com/watch?v=xeS6y6mbUzY

The Bourne vs Desh scene in The Bourne Ultimatum is pretty based as far as realistic fight scenes go. Yeah the camera is shaky at times and can seem chaotic but I think it only adds intensity to the fight.

Didnt Bourne gave birth to shaky cam?

I don't get why people would whine about a realistic fight scene when it fitted the movie. If a knife fight is over in a second then it's is!

Realistic sword fight/huge battles would be nice. Brutal as fuck.

pleb. they live alley fight.

Ip Man is the closest blend of realism and choreography I've seen, generally Bruce Lee is at the real end and Jacki Chan at the choregraphed end of teh spectrum.

Nerds and chads want realism because they want to be able to do it in real life

Greengrass wasn't the first to do it but he popularized it. While it's true that if it's fine badly shaky cam can ruin a fight sequence and be confusing but the brilliance of the scene I mentioned is that even with shaky cam it isn't random at all. It makes sure that you understand what is clearly going on in the fight and includes only the essential details, yes it's hard to see everything else in clear 100% detail but that's the point. When you're in an actual fight it's a flurry of motion and action you're not paying attention to what is around you only the person that you're fighting.

The scene captures that perfectly.

The popularity of MMA has ruined movie fight choreography. Except for when Donnie Yen does it.

>wouldnt realism be boring?

Pretty much. Look at all the fight webms in rekt threads...they last usually less than 20 seconds. Humans can't withstand having their face beaten in for 10 solid minutes unless they're an MMA fighter or boxer.

It's real easy to kill someone in a regular street fight. Not very interesting to watch either, one good pop and most people hit the floor.

Ip Man doesnt come close to realism lol

I've said it before vand I'll say it again. The fight scene from crouching tiger between the two women is objectively the best fight scene.

Good taste

If you look at the most generic fighting choreography, It's usually shot really close, shaky camera, cut every two seconds and sometimes slowed down. It's pathetic.

I grew up watching jackie chan so I find the american need to use shakycam, quick cuts and blurvision to hide their shit ""fighting"" particularly glaring and irksome.

the only american movie I can remember that did a good job in this regard was john wick.

i like realism in a movie where the fighting isn't in focus, basically almost all movies. but i like over-the-top kung fu shit in over-the-top kun fu shit movies. jackie chan movies with realistic fighting would be dreadful.

Do you know a movie where it finds a balance in between

>Arent films meant to take you away from reality anyway?
This is as bad of a meme as "show don't tell". I wish people would stop believing shit they read on the internet.

>"show don't tell"
>a meme
Man, no wonder Sup Forums strokes DCEU's dick if THESE are the type of plebs who populate it.

Thinking a movie should take you away from reality isn't a meme or on the same level as believing something stupid on the internet. What's wrong with you?

Yeah, yeah you're such a patricia

But it is. It's what every retard on reddit or imdb will say about movies being "escapism".

any other examples of this in the same film? that sounds fun to compare

Maybe not realistic in the way that OP described it, but the scene where Ray Liotta gets the shit beaten out of him in Killing Them Softly is really affecting.

youtube.com/watch?v=-j58krZFb38

The camerawork makes it especially visceral, it makes me uncomfortable and queasy every time I see it.

jackie chan is fight kino

youtube.com/watch?v=FAY2LYoYCAU

I legitimately want you to explain, how is "show, don't tell" a meme? Why is a character telling the audience what they're feeling better, in your opinion, than a character showing their emotion through action?

Post more jackiekino

I really don't like the wuxia shit, all the wires takes away from the appeal of seeing the physicality of fighting

Easter Promises