Was it autism?

Was it autism?
>i'm going into the woods without any experience on harvesting food, preserving meats, how to hunt or know what is and isn't poisonous!!
>whoops im dead XD

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=icUq7Hghsgc
youtube.com/watch?v=zRQNFdh7Z34
youtube.com/watch?v=z-ouUH--uCo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just youthful idealism, taken to an environment that punishes that kind of shit.

it was some kind of lack of awareness
i wouldn't doubt he was on the spectrum
most people that do out of the ordinary stuff are

nice,someone intelligent posting for a change

Largely this.

The book goes into this concept a lot more thoroughly. Krakauer (the author) connects McCandless to many other significant young American wanderers.

Only reason anyone noticed was because he was from an affluent family. I think his dad worked for NASA or some shit.

Truth is plenty of poor kids do this shit on a daily basis and no one ever hears about them but when a yup does it it's all over the news.

Jon Krakauer making something out of nothing to sell books. The read itself is a meager 200+ pages, including Krakauer's self insertion bloat and stories about other nutjobs that did the same thing as MacCandless. Haven't seen Penn's movie, but I'm sure it's shit.

His dad was a turbo autist and his mom was a hippy dippy loon who's first instinct upon entering the bus was to sniff her dead son's pants.

It's both inspiring and a cautionary tale. It's complex and that's why there's a film about it.

If you can't see and empathise with both aspects, you've got something wrong with you.

read too much henry david thoreau

>hey dude, if you don't see things the way I do..
Naw, just fuck off.

Not enough hippies got lost in the woods because of this movie.

Nothing wrong with not having empathy for a bi polar sociopath, t.b.h.

>another cynical bitter loser who doesn't like Into The Wild or McCandless
Never seen one like you before little guy!

Calm down Walt, lashing out wont bring your dead son back.

Lack of empathy for someone who was merely misguided and full of himself?

Try empathising a little more, it'll make you happier. Or at least, less of a cunt.

>dude I'm free from the chains of society!
>doesn't fuck consenting teen pussy
???

He's also kind of arrogant, giving away all the money his parents gave him for college and refusing to take warm, sturdy boots from someone even when it was damn well near necessary.

Idealism and environment are best taken into a balanced account because death is a real, tangible thing.

>Calls others a cunt
>b-but try empathising o-ok?
Sounds like you need to take a spirit journey to the Magic Bus to cool your head.

I fucking hate that kid so much and I don't even know why.

Who the fuck does he think he is? He thinks he's better than me because I value comfort and stability over going into the wilderness without a fucking clue how to survive?

Fuck him.

biggest mistake was passin up kstew t.bh

>Just youthful idealism
no way was it, I never even heard of his story but put this film on and within 10 mins I could see he was schitzo or psychotic.
he ha obviously had some sort of serious undiagnosed mental issue happen to him.

Guy goes into an inhospitable environment without even a knife or a barefoot fauna book.
Now either he purposely went there to die, or he was delusional, with unrealistic ideas of his ability to survive off of the land, without any experience.
Especially when you look that he had just finished his degree, he could have not been that unintelligent to not know that going into the Alaskan wilderness in winter, with no supplies or bush knowledge equals certain death.

Didn't Weird Al do a parody song about him in the 90s? Dead jerky in the bus or something?

Natural selection in motion. Gotta love it.

Bi polarity (notice how he swings between manias in the book, from absolute joy to despondency like a switch)
Narcissistic
Possibly sociopathic
Vandal that destroyed two cabins within a 6 mile radius of bus 142
Dude had some serious, undiagnosed mental issues.

Thanks neet psychologist

Nice,
Now try refuting said claims.

refute my willy in your arse

Fucking savage

I won't because I enjoy dick in my ass.

Rekt
Even McCandless wasn't a faggot.

Enlightened fedora gets romanticized by Sean Penn; the movie makes him seem like he was right

He was like first in his school or whatever, so he wasnt stupid

Just suicidal

He was good at track and field or some shit and went to university, he had book smarts, but not much else. He got as far as he did by pure luck and the general good nature of others. He nearly died early on from heat stroke in Mexico.

suicidal

>McCandless graduated from Emory University in May 1990, with a bachelor's degree in the double majors of history and anthropology.[11] After graduating, McCandless donated most of his savings to charity and adopted a vagabond lifestyle, working when necessary as a restaurant food preparer and farm hand.[13] An avid outdoorsman, McCandless completed several lengthy wilderness hiking trips and paddled a canoe down a portion of the Colorado River before hitchhiking to Alaska, in April 1992.

What's the chance he was getting high as fuck on LSD/mushrooms/some other psych and just lost his mind out there?

Going from academic to vagabond is something I've seen from drug users. It would explain how he suddenly forgot what he needs to survive after being experienced in hiking etc.

>majors in history and anthro
ew, maybe he wasn't so bright.

The book is pretty obviously and intentionally a romanticization, and I would rather blame readers for thinking it's an accurate piece than accuse the author of deception. We read it in school but not as non-fiction. It's still one of Krakauer's lesser works though.

>His father didn't love him so he went: Into the Wild
Fucking seriously?

if he was already high as fuck and raging against the machine it couldve been a meme choice

didn't read enough thoureau
thoureau actually knew how to live in the wilderness without dying like a chump a few kilometers from civilization

>It's the reader's fault for thinking Krakauer's reporting is fact
Wew lad
Go to bed Jon "McCandless had a map, Oprah" Krakauer.

>McCandless' journal documents 113 days in the area.

That's really not a bad effort at all. Dying after that long is less bad planning than people think.

R U retard??

It's a good run and most neophytes could only hope to do so well with a bag of rice and a .22.

Do you think Krakaer had an unhealthy obsession with Chris that bordered on homoeroticism?

Dude even the book was like "here's some things that could make him seem likeable but keep in mind he still thought and did dickish things". The movie treated him like a real rebel.

Movies are for profit user.... Truth is never the prime objective

True, but starvation can take awhile depending on fat reserves and caloric expenditure. He was close to a freshwater source, but the last 30 days must have been agonizing.

It's possible he jerked off a few times.

I read the book in grade school
He was an idiot

But nothing will EVER compare to the autism of Timothy Treadwell.

youtube.com/watch?v=icUq7Hghsgc

dunno but the movie has like 10 songs by eddie vedder, so it's good

Timothy was obviously mentally and emotionally unwell, but he did actually know how to survive in the wild. He spent years practically living with bears and he was fine, only when he brought his gf with him did things get fucked up and him killed.

>he did actually know how to survive in the wild.
>he literally became bear shit

Yes, because he brought his gf with him and that fucked shit up. Until then he did fine and never had any real problems.

It's more because he got mad in an airport and decided to stay for the winter. A stranger bear that he previously recorded was cutting it close to hibernation so the bear attacked him. The bears that he was "family" with didn't touch him.

His girlfriend being there only served to make the event more tragic than it already was.

Audio of their deaths pls?

*screams*
*sounds of frying pan hitting flesh*

thank this old faggot cunt herzog for snuffing any chances of that happening

youtube.com/watch?v=zRQNFdh7Z34

Well that sucks.
I did like him in Jack Reacher, though.

>he was a Japanese bear dad
youtube.com/watch?v=z-ouUH--uCo
Sasuga