Maybe I'm just a dumb dumb or maybe I just don't find selling your soul to Satan to be very scary...

Maybe I'm just a dumb dumb or maybe I just don't find selling your soul to Satan to be very scary, but I didn't see how the climax of this movie was particularly terrifying or compelling.

I feel like it would have been a more interesting movie without all the supernatural, there's actually a devil and he wants your soul elements.

It's a fun ride with nice atmosphere, its not supposed to be scary at all...
I agree on the supernatural stuff, would've prefered it to be some old hag or someshit.

It's not really a horror movie, it's more of a psychological thriller designed to put you in the minds of the people going through the events in the movie.

Some user once said that the Witch and the book of Job are very similar: god and/or satan putting a family through horrible, arduous trials for no particular reason (though that's probably a very reductionist summary)

>I feel like it would have been a more interesting movie without all the reasons the movie was actually made for

Yeah it was a fun ride and I was interested for most of the movie and Thomasin and Pops were interesting characters. Just felt the destination kinda sucked. Just the idea of being completely isolated in the wilderness next to a vast expanse of forest holding god knows what seems far more terrifying than some convoluted plot by a mustache twirling devil. Also the movie makes being a witch look like dogshit.

Why wasnt this nominated for any oscars?

Well like I said, maybe I'm just not into movies where the devil is the antagonist. I just noticed a lot of critics, both amateur and professional, insinuating that you've got a bone in your brain if you don't find the movie scary.

Now that I would have appreciated, if everything turned to shit and the movie just ended. Not enough films are like that.

Selling your soul to Satan is pretty scary if you believe (like all people did at the time) you can end up in hell, like real hell. If the movie did not manage to communicate that idea, then it failed you.

Maybe that's why. I've never quite been able to put myself in that mindset. Like zombies and ghosts and stuff are fine, but the idea of some unseen devil that wants your soul for some inexplicable reason just never hit resonated with me.

The movie is unwavering in the bleakness of its atmosphere, and there wasn't a scene where one of the characters all of a sudden adopts a 21st century mindset towards religion and mocks the other characters for their beliefs.

one of the best things about this movie is that people never doubt the existence of supernatural, be it god or devil. Supernatural is just out there and you have to be careful what you choose.

It didn't pander to "progressives", didn't have some pretentious theme/idea/lesson to push, and desu the average moviegoing American probably couldn't understand what the characters were saying

OP here. There were a couple moments where I couldn't quite hear them, but did people really have that much trouble understanding what the characters were saying?

I really liked the film but after a half hour I just had to put on the subtitles. There's far too much mumbling and low talking, and mixed with the language and accents I felt I was missing too much dialogue.

I also wish they'd have shot the gun more. I always thought matchlocks were cool.

That's something my 8 year old wife's son would say about a film. What a fucking pleb you are.

You shut up. Archaic firearms are magical.

get off my board pedo sicko

It wasn't meant to be scary nor was it meant to have jump scares.

I liked the movie and it had a nice slow buildup with great visuals but people tend to over hype it and call it something it's not.

>deliciously
>deliciously
Can't blame her much since the greatest thing in the world for colonists at the time was butter and a door that kept the draft out.

I saw quite a few people saying the movie was like uber super duper scary, which I just didn't get. Though maybe it's just dummies confusing creepy and unsettling with terrifying.

You missed that the last 1/3 was feminist allegory - shedding the obsolete family unit and becoming a self-actualizing individual by transgressing the patriarchal image of sin represented by the devil.

just kidding that's a bunch of wank it's just a bad horror movie