How do we fix the MLS?

How do we fix the MLS?

Other urls found in this thread:

traffic.libsyn.com/secure/force-cdn/highwinds/tfss/TSS-Oct25-2017-FIXUSSOCCER.mp3
espnfc.com/team/united-states/660/blog/post/3228135/promotion-relegation-system-could-unlock-usa-soccer-potential-riccardo-silva
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

gas pro/rel shitposters

You dont

Give goalies a beanbag shotgun

Let it die.

>raise the salary cap and gradually phase it out over a 10 year period
>invest more in MLS academies to emulate the youth systems in Euro clubs
>get rid of pay to play at the youth level
>consolidate USL and NASL into a 2nd division
>pro/rel, starting with only 1 team per season with the goal of 3 per season within a decade
>synchronize MLS schedule with FIFA schedule

>more BBC
>divide the two halves in two, making 4 times
>MORE COMMERCIALS (for the $$$)
>stop the clock everytime the ball leaves the field
>if the game is tied let the game go on untill one team scores

Current MLS team owners won't let pro/rel happen in our life time.

Totally support investment in youth though.

>the MLS
Better question, how do we fix OP?

Fire

we blew it

The conversation, like the pros and cons of the MLS have no value now that we're out of the World Cup. It's time to accept the economic ruin that is coming to the MLS

move it to Europe

deport all the mexicans

Add relegation and promotion ffs. Its like the whole point of the sport. And don't 'relocate' the teams or whatever the fuck you guys do

It's only a foul if they touch you with their arms, or spikes of the shoes.

Headbuts and sliding and all that shit would be sick.

No more pussyfooting around

this

had a laugh

Sick

Not lose to Trinidad and Tobago.

The main problem of MLS is pay to play 2bh. when you have Trump Jr (I don't have anything agains the kid, but watch the videos) in a MLS club training camp (Washington), there is something wrong.
Here the kids who makes it into training centers are the best of the best, not people who pay to be in the club.
Actually, if the kid is very good, the clubs pay the young players and their parents to be in the center.
There is something very wrong with pay to play

It was coming anyway champ. The league loses a sbitload every year and sustain itself off adding new teams paying entrance fees every year.

Remove playoffs and have a proper league system

desu their league system is still quite small and player sales don't generate enough revenue to keep an A+ tier academy. At least yet.
I wonder in mls has drafts, tho.

>Houston Dynamo
>Sporting K.C
Change it back to some 'Murican names

Real Salt Lake

Why is every fucking Yuro obsessed with this aspect?

This

Anyone who thinks pro/rel is sustainable with the next 50 years is insane

Americans are the ones obsessed with playoffs, all your sports have them.

But this isn't a thread advocating for the Premier League to adopt a playoff

Let it die. I'm sick of poverty ball and its faggot fans

because they are incredibly fun

Btw WC, CL and FA Cup are considered playoffs as well?

it's just so out of touch with the required cash-burn that allowed MLS to build the current pool and academies to their current status. i'd love to see pro/rel, but anyone advocating it is necessarily calling for a break-down and rebuild with a long term view that accepts drastic reduction in quality in the short term.

And?

It's a question, la.

What are you asking?

He is asking if cup competitions count as playoffs.

I actually like the idea of playoff, for a cup or something, not a Championship.
The problem for me is that it renders the conference season to filler.
If you add draft picks to this (and how being worse will benefit you), then I really think it becomes... stupid.

Most International competitions have a playoff system, and this is fun for cups. Championship is reserved for a league where you have to be the best all year, not the best in the final game.

The biggest problem with any discussion about what to do with soccer in the US is there really isn't a model for anyone to follow

Pro/rel shills follow Yurop's but this isn't Yurop
The game hasn't been engrained into society for decades
There's only 60 someodd soccer teams in the US
The English FA lists 92 as being professional there
You can't really follow that model

A ton of people don't like MLS and it's far from a perfect league
But it has to establish as a major league both nationally (being close to the big 4) and globally before it has any real impact in the sporting landscape here
Soccer will never be among the top 4 sports here if Americans consider their own league to be a stepping stone
Only a certain portion of Americans are going to be able to cuck themselves into rooting for a team in a completely different country

They are right about the playoff aspect of it. It's ridiculous any of our sports have them outside of the NFL, even fucking nascar has it lol. They are just artificially resetting the field for entertainment purposes.

They are wrong about pro/rel though because that kills the financials of everything and unlike anywhere else we have 4 major sports to feed and another sizable moderate one in the mls not to mention college football and basketball. Club system would stretch everything way too thin and every leagues top level would have to take a severe hit to maintain itself. In regards to soccer I'm not pretending to be an expert because I don't watch it but I'd imagine it'd be a death kneel to the mls getting off the ground. LA's team would've been relegated this year for example and getting the second biggest market in the richest country to not totally abandon a team playing in a minor league in at most the 5th most popular league with a dozen other options would be impossible and soccer would immediately die there.

No
The problem is that those other cup competitions aren't that important when compared to the league
The mentality here is that the whole season comes down to one game instead of 34
Baseball and basketball regular seasons are considered filler here but that mostly has to do with how long and how many games they play in each of their respective seasons
NBA has 82
MLB has 162
That waters everything down

MLS as it is currently designed is supposed to remain the 4th most popular sport in the country. The media partnerships it has always put it behind the "big 3".
The single entity nature and salary cap means it will never compete with even the likes of Liga MX in terms of quality.

Playoffs are much more interesting than leagues
MLS Cup playoffs is about as memey as anything can possibly be
I hear Liga MX playoffs are even crazier than MLS playoffs but they have 2 seasons a year so that ruins any notion of "deserving" out anyways

They can have their leagues
I'm gonna keep my playoffs

Divegrass is behind four sports in popularity, five if you count auto racing.

That makes my point even strong then.
People want to "fix" something that isn't that popular to begin with.

TV contracts per year
>NASCAR $820 million signed in 2013(people who've never been around rednecks or the country wildly underestimate the power and popularity of NASCAR)
>NHL $200 national signed in 2011, $700 counting Canada national and probably $1.2-$1.3 billion total counting all local contracts
>MLS $90 million national signed in 2015, probably at most $120 counting local deals

Not to base it on this solely but it's an easy way to put it in perspective. Soccer has a small detached but fairly loyal fan base coupled with affordable prices relatively speaking so that explains the attendence meme soccerfags like to use as an argument. The average run of the mill American has beyond zero interest in soccer.

Bring in this man.

10 ways to fix US Soccer

traffic.libsyn.com/secure/force-cdn/highwinds/tfss/TSS-Oct25-2017-FIXUSSOCCER.mp3

Establish a MLS Cup competition letting USL UASL and MLS teams play each other in a proper cup competition.

There already is a domestic cup
It's called the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup and it's the 3rd longest running cup competition in the world

pro/rel

espnfc.com/team/united-states/660/blog/post/3228135/promotion-relegation-system-could-unlock-usa-soccer-potential-riccardo-silva

Which is why you watch poverty nigger ball and poverty spic stick. Nice job, Cletus now go slit your cuck throat.

We already have that. It's called the U.S Open cup and it's exactly like a yuro cup competition where every professional club in the federation participates.