What is Linklater's best film and why is it Waking Life?

What is Linklater's best film and why is it Waking Life?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nQpYHiB0k6k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is his best film before sunset, you mean?

Always forget that Alex Jones is literally in this

Wrong.

Waking Life is a masterpiece.

I would say Before Sunset is my favourite of his. Boyhood would be a strong contender as well.

I agree with your enthusiasm though OP, one of his best films for sure.

I liked Slacker and Boyhood. The Before trilogy is also great.

Have you seen Waking Life?

It is very similar to Slacker.

Waking Life is garbage. It's like bring trapped in a dorm room with philosophy 101 students who just started smoking weed.

Not yet. I've got it on DL right now.

Waking Life is probably my favorite

Slacker, Dazed & Confused, Waking Life, and Everybody Wants Some!! are incredible

School of Rock, Bernie, Boyhood, and SubUrbia are decent.

Haven't seen the Before trilogy.

Bad News Bears and Food Inc are fucking terrible.

Had some useful tips about lucid dreaming, that and the Ethan Hawke Julia depry scene make it passable

+ Alex Jones

the only questionable scenes in Waking Life is the gun control scene and the one with the Mexican poet.

Everything else is flawless. Dream is destiny, boys.

You should really watch the Before trilogy. Food Inc is okay I think, definitely one of his weakest. Bad News Bears is definitely pretty bad though, one of his worst.

>You will never bed young Julia deprey after picturesquely strolling through Prague then proceed to impregnate her ten years later in Paris and make a career as a novelist writing about your extramarital affair until she gives birth to twins and you elope to Greece to escape your depressing slow decline into old age

I went to Europe when I was 18, at least partially motivated by Before Sunrise. Had one night in Venice with a girl ten years my senior, it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced.

>tfw still remember her face and name and conversations we had nearly 10 years later

If Boyhood is anything to go by, anything that director ever crapped was utter pretentious shit.

Did you fuck her? Details please

Ever watch Jarmusch? Don't answer you probably think he's pretentious too.

how come no one talks about A Scanner Darkly that much

it's great, great book, great story, great visuals, top meme actors who are funny in their roles

shit I totally forgot A Scanner Darkly. It is good until the final fifteen minutes then it becomes great.

youtube.com/watch?v=nQpYHiB0k6k

before sunset is the best of the bunch but i love before sunrise simply for wish fulfilment reasons

Nothing past some making out unfortunately. We had gone out with a group from the hostel for most of the night, after having just had a brief run in the night before in the hallway, where I immediately felt some strong pull towards her. During the night we were all drinking pretty heavily and her and I got closer over the night, branching off into our own conversation, felt intimate despite being around other people. We tailed behind on the way back to the hostel, walking through Venice in the black of night, the canals illuminated by the moon in what might have been the most cliche, perfect romantic circumstances imaginable. Got back to the hostel, climbed out the window together and spent an hour on the balcony, which came out over top a canal, and spent a lot of that time in a close embrace talking and making out.

Made me realize that it is in fact possible to fall wildly in love in a 24 hour span, even if that love is almost certainly just a fantastical, imaginary, ecstatic kind of love and not the real, lasting kind. I'll never know what might have happened.

One of my top films and one of my top books. Both work great. A++ would watch and read again (and have).

I love that song so much. I prefer Sunset too because of what I perceive as its honesty but Sunrise is so incredible. It captures the feeling I am describing here with astonishing accuracy. Possibly because it was at least partially inspired by Linklater's own experiences with some woman he happened to meet and spend a few nights with.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSS IT CAN ACTUALLY HAPPEN, REALISTS BTFO

You should have kissed her neck/ear. It really drives women wild and they tend to just take you to their room even if you promise you won't fuck them.

But I get you trying to be delicate. I just would have pressed the issue.

I love Linklater and have seen nearly every thing he's made, Scanner Darkly is one of the only ones I haven't seen. Will get on it ASAP.

this is an accurate review of this stupid movie that i almost fell asleep watching

Yeah, I was an 18 year old, inexperienced kid. Had one girlfriend before that and even though we had sex a number of times I still felt awkward and shy.

She also seemed a little reticent with the age gap, which I do understand. I'm sure had I been more suave it could have happened. It really doesn't matter to me at all in hindsight though. It was one of the most perfect experiences I've ever had, will always cherish it.

Oh shit I thought you were 22 or something in that story.

Yeah man you did great. Hooking up with a hot 28 year old at 18 would have made me a king.

Gotta get paid somehow, I guess. Those Ethan Hawke movies can't be very lucrative

Unironically a great movie. One of the best "kids" movies around really. Mike White rules.

I definitely got a lot of leverage out of that story when I came home. I had turned 18 about 5 months before that happened.

School of Rock is a really good movie. Granted I was 14 when it came out and fully into "classic rock" but I still think it's a funny charming kids movie.

It was great though, one of the best kid's movies out there. Still makes me laugh rewatching it.

Excuse me?

That dude is silly.

School of Rock, even though it's a kids movie, still ties into Linklater's thematic concerns very charmingly. Jack Black's character is a classic example of one of Linklater's favourite characters, those who don't fit all that well into conventional society and are seen as mindless slackers by everyone else. Also the whole "fuck the man" stuff.

I really like the visual style of Waking Life, obviously it's the most compelling aspect of the movie, but some of the dialogue and monologues in this movie are either not very interesting or are just really unnecessary or egotistical. I like what it's trying to do and it succeeds at being as meandering and illogical as a real dream, but it doesn't really get all the way there because at times the people speaking are way too cogent for what is supposed to be a dream.

>But the legend of the rent was way hardcore

Is it 2022 yet?

I'm not the biggest fan of these, but I hope they keep making one every decade. That will be a much better project than Boyhood.

Soon, user. Soon...

I don't get the hate for Boyhood.

Was the first half much better than the second? Sure. But I think the effort paid off, if only to pin down that era in such a perfect way.

Is this the Linklater thread? I caught Everybody Wants Some!! recently and thought it was fantastic, just that the theatre party went on a little long without a lot that was funny or interesting

Yeah, Boyhood is great. I mean, I can understand why people call it pretentious and hating it but fuck me it's good.

i liked boyhood until they started popping acid and went walking off somewhere. usually linklater is pretty good with endings, what the fuck happened there?

>Every movie filmed in your hometown is about degenerate faggot liberals

Fuck this city, Dazed and Confused was the only thing good to ever come out of this cesspool.

it's in my top 5 of the year. fucking RawDawg I loved that retard.

really makes you think.

The hate is mostly contained to this board.

It's among the 5 or 10 most critically lauded movies of the decade so far and it will continue to hold that place.

It's a masterpiece.

The hate for it on this board is very funny because it's clear that the people memeing it don't even understand why he filmed it over 12 years.

I don't fault people for hating it. Like I said, the second half really doesn't reach the dramatic heights of the first. It is interesting to see how his life plays out and there are some classic Linklater side characters, but I came away mildly satisfied when I should have been truly enthralled considering the buildup to this project.

Was okay. It's nothing he hasn't done before really, just another take on Linklaters usual themes.

>It's nothing he hasn't done before really
It's true. But his style is so wonderful I will watch anything he does because of it. In fact, his worst movie (besides outright misfires such as Bad News Bears) is probably SubUrbia because it's so uncharacteristically angry for him.

>how do you know when someone is from austin?

>they'll tell you

I think Jack Black was born to play this role. Nobody else could be so "rock and roll guy" yet so unintimidating, so that it's not weird to watch him interact with small children unsupervised.

>dramatic heights of the first

I'm having a lot of trouble remembering anything remotely dramatic in the entirety of boyhood.

Jack Black's best performance

this guy?

He was so over the top it wasn't convincing

Before Sunset, Before Sunrise, Dazed and Confused, Before Midnight, Everybody Wants Some, and Boyhood are all better than Waking Life. Even A Scanner Darkly is better.

Kinda undermined by the fact there's nothing wrong with drinking and his anger was entirely the bitch's fault.

I thought he was great. A degenerate women's studies college professor turns out to be a disgusting wife beater.

I HATE SQUASH!

Dazed and Confused > Before Sunrise = Before Sunset > Everybody Wants Some!! > Before Midnight > Waking Life > School of Rock > Me and Orson Welles > Bernie > A Scanner Darkly > Slacker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shithood

>Slacker second to last
why?

Sup Forums hates it because mason actually gets a girlfriend and has friends.

The over-the-top anger just lead me to think that arquette's character was just a stealth uberbitch. But that impression is given by most of her scenes. So the entire sequence was just reiterating that point.

For me it was like bring trapped in a dorm room with philosophy 101 students after smoking a ton of weed

Correct. The Before series is his second best work.

This is also true, but to me that doesn't detract from it. The ideas may be basic, but the way they are presented and the movie's narrative as a whole is what makes it interesting, not how advanced of a philosophy course it is.