Britain has Chaucer, Shakespeare, Sir Walter Scott, Dickens and a whole host of others

>Britain has Chaucer, Shakespeare, Sir Walter Scott, Dickens and a whole host of others
>France has Voltaire, Montesquieu, Dumas, Hugo and a whole host of others
>USA has Irving, Poe, Twain, Hemingway and a whole host of others
>Russia has Tolstoy and Dostoevsky
>Germany has Gutenberg, philosophers like Kant and Nietzsche, and fairy tales and folklore compiled by the Grimm Brothers
>Spain has a guy who fights fucking windmills
You can't make this up

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_literature
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystian_Bala
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Spain is just Portugal's little brother.

There's this Miguel de munomuno guy I like his books

I like Goya.

>tolstoy

Ngl ivan ilych was nice but karenina was absolute poo

>Japan is prob known more for anime and hentai than all their literature

At least Spain has it better than Japan

>Spain has a guy who fights fucking windmills

Who?

They all pale in comparison to Ancient Greecee writers. Prove me wrong (pro-tip: you can't, greeks are better than other humans)

Don Quixote but I think the amerifat is too dumb to know that's a fictional character

You can't expect much more from a country with no culture like Spain.

>amerifat

Canadians are basically Americans. Just weaker men and thinner, cuter girls.

What is Lope de Vega.

What is Francisco de Quevedo.

>writers
>writers
>writers
>writers
>writers
>character
What did he mean by this?

Gutenberg wasn't a writer dipshit.

Poolan has quite a few, but who cares

But mad you can't get as much pussy as the don

He basically invented the novel format.
And the book is good as fuck even by today's humour standards. You can not go more timeless than this.
Lazarillo de Tormes is another re commended classic on a equally great tone.

I'd replace Tolstoy with Sołżenicyn desu

La Araucana, the Spanish-Chilean epic, is as cool as Homer's classics

What are some famous Polish writers? Anytime I see a slavic name I just assume the author is Russian.

Good question. Who the fuck are those obscure faggots indeed? [spoiler]:^)[/spoiler]

Your perception of literature and philosophy is on the level of a slightly below average /lit/izen, so you don't sound very smart.

He didn't invent the format. He only defined some of its elements.

At least my countrymen know that Don Quixote is a fictional character, tubby.

>famous

Well that might be an exaggeration, I don't think much people care outside of Poland and maybe Ukraine/Russia/Belarus/Lithuania, but:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_literature

My faves are: W Pustyni i w puszczy, Lalka, Faraon, Quo Vadis, Heart of Darkness (by Polish-English writer Joseph Conrad/Józef Korzeniowski), and a few from the WW2 stories like Dywizjon 303, but that's rather obscure.

Thanks. I'll check some of them out.

Chaucer little brother I like Goya Ancient Greecee But mad you can't get sound very smart a fictional character, tubby

Damn never knew HoD's author was a polak.
Also wasnt there a guy called Bala who got arrested for writing a novel about a crime he committed kek

Didn't even know that, kek: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystian_Bala

>Poe
>Twain
>Irving
America has so many great writers and you had t choose the most plebians
Pleb
Anna Karenina is one of the best novels ever made.

>Damn never knew HoD's author was a polak.
You can tell by his long-ass sentences

Stanislaw Lem

>Spanish """culture"""

>boring characters
>a literal cuck
>plot of a soap opera
It had very good narrative control I'll give you that. But maybe it's the fact that I'm looking at it from today's lens, but all of the characters, yes they're decent and multidimensional, don't really pull me in. Neither does the plot.

Speaking of Karenina I notice the long ass sentences in most Russian novels as well. Is it because Russian and probably most other slavic languages as well are very synthetic as opposed to our analytic English and Western European languages in general?

Does OP rate schopenhauer? Or hesse?

>muh western dick waving
Nigger you've likely not read 10% of the pool of works from the authors you've mentioned. Fucking tryhard.

the only slavic people with any cultural contributions are Russians desu

b-but Don Quixote wasn't a writer but a character....

wtf i hate spain now

A guy who singlehandedly makes books over 1000% easier to access has made a significant contribution to literature.

I've noticed that good literature always comes from Western nations that are dominant or rising powers. Considering that Spain's decline began around the 17th century, it's not surprising that they don't have very many internationally known authors. After all, the first novels weren't produced until the 18th century (Don Quixote was more of a satire of chivalric romance than a true novel; the distinction between a novel and romance is something worth reading about on its own).

Anyway, I like Spain. You did a good job at civilizing the Americas and the Philippines. Spain more than makes up for its lack of litterateurs in its history and culture. I'm hoping your economy will get fixed up soon.

Also, OP is a faggot.

Pic related is my favorite Polish-American writer, although he identified more as a German.

yall guise utterly clueless
and on the top of that she doesn't care about me anymore
>pic related
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ
>more of a satire of chivalric romance than a true novel
t. has only read the Wikipedia article on Don Quixote

>karenina
>poo
Literally one of the best pieces of literature the world has you philistine

I used to study literature in university, Paco. Believe me, I know all about your picaros.

A romance has more to do with chivalry and fantasy whereas a novel is about contemporary social issues. Compare and contrast Sir Walter Scott and Jane Austen. Today we refer to Scott's books as "novels," whereas in his day they were "romances." Austen's books have always been referred to as "novels." Don Quixote is definitely not a novel by that criteria so there's no surprise that there's about a 100 year gap between Don Quixote and the novels which started to appear in Britain such as Pamela and Clarissa by Samuel Richardson.

Anyway, don't you have some food to serve to sunburned Brits? Some German tourists who need to be shown their room at Hotel del Sol?

Yeah, but that one novel is consistently ranked the best novel of all time

>"Don Quixote, the tale of a Spanish knight driven mad by reading too many chivalric romances, was yesterday voted the best book of all time in a survey of around 100 of the world's best authors. [...] Around 100 well-known authors from 54 countries voted for the 'most meaningful book of all time' in a poll organised by editors at the Norwegian Book Clubs in Oslo"

There are several other similar rankings that put it at number one, including another one by literary critics who made a list of the top 100, and refused to rank them, except for Don Quixote, which they could agree was the best ever.

Only an American would attempt to insult another nation's literature by sharting on what is most commonly considered the greatest novel of all time.

Reading backwards Japanese comic books is not a study of literature. Would you call A Confederacy of Dunces a novel?

Manga was not studied in my English department, although sadly there were plenty of courses offered on lesbian African poets alongside Milton and Shakespeare.

As for Don Quixote, have you actually read it, leaf? It's actually very poorly written and has cheap, shitty gags every other paragraph.

>a leaf's self-image

>English department

I think I found your problem. Why would you be studying African or Spanish literature in the English department?

Oh, and as for Confederacy of Dunces, I would call it a novel as any non-autistic person would, just as I would refer to Don Quixote as a novel if some randomer mentioned it to me. But for discussing it in university in the context of history of literature, obviously there are more accurate terms you should use.

You would be hard-pressed to find Don Quixote not mentioned in a given English course that covers early British and American novels. I don't downplay Don Q.'s influence, but it's simply not a "novel" about contemporary issues. Don Q. is often mentioned in these courses when they want to cover picaresque elements of early novels.

As for African literature, whether it be by Americans or actual Africans, a good portion of it was written in English and more of it has been included in the curricula in the name of political correctness. I avoided these courses when I could.

>Spain more than makes up for its lack of litterateurs in its history and culture
But we have the best literature, Amerifriend.

t.don't know shit about literature.
Spain has an inmense literary heritage. Just because Europe has always been circle-jerking around french, english or german and not spanish doesn't mean they don't have anything worth. Spain could easily stand against France or Germany in terms of literature.

Spanish literature is fine in a provincial sense, but that "circle-jerking" you mention only goes to show how universal and far reaching English and French literature is. There are more Spaniards and spics reading Shakespeare in translation than Lope de Vega in the original tongue. I have never met a single soul who has read L. de V., but spics sure love Guillermo Shakespeare.

>Don Q
>L. de V

why are you abbreviating like this? just write the whole names you spastic.