Nicolas Winding Refn

Shallow hack or auteur genius?

Auteur. I wouldn't say genius but he's pretty good.

>auter
autist*

Shallow auteur

neck game insane

this

Auteur.
He has a clear artistic vision, he writes and directs his films, his style is unique and his works share common themes (masculinity, Freudian neurosis, change of one's nature or identity, religious or mytholigical tropes etc.). He could be shallow (Fear X) but he has the insight of a genius (OGF).

Nope, he peaked with OGF
It's over. He's been exposed as a soon to be has been. His next movie will continue his spiraling decline, even if he himself doesnt know it.

He really is a kind of a shallow auteur but I mean it in a complimentary way.

I don't even know if "shallow" is the right way to put it - he does have interesting ideas, he's just kind of stupidly blunt & obtuse in the way he expresses them at some points.

I kinda put him in the same category as Brian De Palma - I really enjoy his films and I think he's a great filmmaker in some ways, but I'd only recommend them to certain people.

Savant

There's a great and funny bit in the doc where Refn is urgently (and lamely) explaining his approach to scenework to Gosling: "violence in movies is just like sex, it's about the build-up and not the release" only to have Gosling keep deflating it by turning to the camera and slyly repeating his words verbatim. There's also a great bit where Jodorowsky kind of shrugs off the question of whether Refn and Corfixen should get divorced... I kind of enjoyed it, but watching Refn pace around whining to his wife and the camera is pretty funny to me!

Just rewatched Bronson last night, definitely an auteur.

Give me one good reason to watch a Refn film that isn't Drive. I bet you can't.

Hack genius

Bronson. It has a Kubrick feel to it and it isn't a gorefest.

You cunt.

Great Director, awful Writer.

>he hasn't seen the pusher movies
don't be a pleb user

hack

>Shallow hack or auteur genius?
Somewhere in the middle. He is shallow, and he isn't a genius, but he does have vision.

literally one of the best directors working today
easily top 10, probably top 5

His next film will literally be Drive 2: Spy Edition ft. The Aesthetics From Only God Forgives

It will be his most successful film so far and pseudo-cinephiles will love him

This may actually apply better than the shallow auteur.
He appears so in ways, but we don't know how autistic he is if he's actually autistic.

it's mostly an act
but he, like most directors, is film-obsessed and focused and probably struggles to talk about anything else in day-to-day life

but his interview persona isn't real, unfortunately