Check out random locations in florida on google maps

>check out random locations in florida on google maps
>power lines are above ground
What is wrong with you burgers? Why would you not have it in the ground? It will take months to rebuild it after Irma?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-5jpB2n58RM
edition.cnn.com/2014/02/12/us/winter-storm-power-lines/index.html
eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=7250
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're above ground in my neighbourhood which was built in the late 1800's.

Probably something to do with our ground being made of goopy mush. But fuck, I'm in less-goopy North Florida, we should be able to have underground cables by now.

i would never notice this cause im kinda used to see wires up in the air cause of the trams all around here. no wonder they have to evacuate half of the state everytime, neither their houses have foundations (not a bad thing necessarily, but that + this fucking wires.....)

Ground not good, foundation fail and more expensive to fix than above ground

But you already have water pipes and sewage?

Actually, looking outside, I realize there are no powerlines and mine are probably underground. At least in my neighborhood. Explains why my neighborhood lost power for less than 24 hours when Hermine blew through.

Do underground powerlines run under sidewalks or under the street? In the US and Canada sidewalks are typically poured concrete which is expensive and time consuming to replace. Around the world people use pavers instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=-5jpB2n58RM

Here in Sweden they run where they need to run.
Usually 2-3 meters below the surface in special tubes so no need for concrete etc.
My own powerlines goes straight under my lawn, across the street to the nearest junction box. I know that since they dug it up a few years ago to upgrade the wires.

They're cheaper to maintain in old neighborhoods. I live in an area built around 1945 and most of the houses around here get power and internet from cables strung to them from tall poles. When you have less money in an area the tendency is to just stick with the legacy system.

old school dad

we also have those sidewalks like they have in bejing, but only new ones. most of them are still concrete ones

Floodings?

Above surface powerlines suck..
I speak from experience since I have 27 km of it to my house.
At least once a year something fails along the lines, fallen tree, snow or ice..
I want to pull cables below the ground but that's 200 000 dollars at least for this distance and months of no power at home..

How many bongs until Florida gets annihilated?

>Here in Sweden they run where they need to run.
Lame answer.

> so no need for concrete etc.
The *main* gas line, sewer line, etc. is under sidewalks or the street. They don't run randomly everywhere.

We didn't host ww2, so we never had a chance to rebuild and never bothered updating our infrastructure because it is expensive.

But it's true here. Can't help if it's "lame".
And sure, it's a little hard to move a house if a pipe fails but they are not locked to just streets. They dug up a park near me when they replaced the sewage pipes across town. But it's not random, pipes follow the path of least resistance.

In Toronto, they have stone pavers near the bank skyscrapers, but outside of the financial centre it's mostly large poured slabs of concrete.

The reason they're above ground is to make it easier to fix.

>pipes follow the path of least resistance.
And you live in a major city? That would seem like a terrible idea in denser areas.

100k people city.
Our city wasn't designed in the last hundred years or so, it was founded in the 1300s so streets are old. Pulling cables and pipes along these streets would be a bloody maze nightmare that would make zero sense.

What said.
My town is smaller (25-30k pop) but also old. 11th century streets and designs.
Using the streets as a guidance for it wouldn't work here in Visby so they have special channels and paths underground.

So you end up with main municipal sewer pipes and so on going under large buildings? That would be a nightmare to fix.

>and paths
So a tunnels are bored underground instead of being excavated? How does it work?

Basically concrete/some kind of material - tubes in a pattern under the city.
If something breaks they can pretty much go to any open space, dig down and pull the broken parts out from the main tube. Makes fixing stuff real easy.
And yes they bored them, they lie about 2 meters below the houses foundations.

Interesting.

Wait what? Why would you build a house without a foundation?

They did all this in the 50's/60s by the way so it's not something new either. Before that we had a much crappier system of tubes running everywhere and about 45% of houses didn't have indoor pluming.

Seems like it all comes down to costs.

>Underground power lines make up about 18% of U.S. transmission lines
edition.cnn.com/2014/02/12/us/winter-storm-power-lines/index.html
eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=7250