Am I a pleb if I didn't like this?

Am I a pleb if I didn't like this?

You're just being honest with a dishonest film

The Fountain is better.

There is nothing dishonest about Terry's work.

Quit memeing.

Am I a pleb if I didn't like

Terry's work is some of the most honest ever created

You have a dishonest mind if you think differently

To keep it short, Yes..

Yes, but recognizing the problem is the first step to recovery, so you still have hope.

but yeah I get it the film ain't for everyone

Honestly I don't see what's not to like. The answer is yes, you're a pleb.

To me the film seems very simple.

Yes

I don't like it

I mean its a wonderful movie

But I don't like it because it feels so depressing and nihilistic.

It's overrated pretentious garbage.

Then explain me what's so good about it.

To me something very important in a film is the story it tells
>inb4 that's what makes me a pleb
You can't deny that this barely has any story, and it has a lot of scenes that don't contribute to it. Fucking dinosaurs out of nothing just because it looks cool? Really

I know the cinematography is great and it is a very well done movie, but in my opinion that's not enough. And believe me, I really wanted to like it.

>Fucking dinosaurs out of nothing just because it looks cool?
disgusting

See? You keep not giving explanations

>To me something very important in a film is the story it tells
Get out

And continue not giving arguments

I'm starting to think that no one really likes this movie. You just say so because it will make you seem smarter

Welcome to Sup Forums

No. It has problems. Not even Malick's fourth best film. Badlands, Days of Heaven, The New World and The Thin Red Line all have it beat.

>Am I a pleb if I didn't like this?
Nope it's garbage, the dinosaur showing empathy scene is the most hilarious and depressingly stupid i've ever witnessed in cinema so is this accompanying universe scenes with warm classic music... the universe is abstract, cold and extremely cruel.

This is also true, the only friend i have who liked it is a low i.q hipster that recites writer names and pretentious films constantly to seem smart.

agreed, it's a genuinely laugh out loud moment and the dinosaurs were better actors then Sean Penn.

Anyone who has to mention the dinosaurs in their critique of this film should be immediately ignored

Why the fuck would I? did you bring any value first before asking someone to go through a mental strain of making a post that is insightful and eloquent enough to change someone's opinion on a thing? And even if they did, in 99% of cases the responses would be

>this is what faithtards actually believe
>saying that lacrymosa scene is anything but a snorefest

so here are some arguments that are on par with your inquiry and probable response

1)it's beautiful

2)it made me feel things

i absolutely guarantee this user is just extremely insecure about his friend who knows more than him and projects that on to anything "arty"

Banner worthy.

It really hit home with me.

admittedly i wasn't a fan of the big bang tangent

I didn't like it at all. And I like Malick's films.

personally I really liked the story

I didn't mind it. It was extremely ambitious and emotive even though a lot of the choices didn't mesh well with me.

Knight of Cups on the other hand was fucking terrible. It was everything I hated about Tree of Life dialed up to 11 and nothing I liked about Tree of Life. I don't like calling things pretentious, it's generally a thought terminating cliche. But if anything qualifies as being pretentious, it's this movie.

It was two hours of wavy camera work and deadpan voice overs saying non sequiturs and embarrassing prose about how even though Terrence Mallick is rich and bangs supermodels he's still totally sad and introspective.

Structured loosely on The Pilgrims Progress? Fuck off.

Broken up into chapters named after tarot cards? Fuck off.

Dialogue like "You gave me peace. You gave me what the world can't give. Mercy. Love. Joy. All else is cloud. Mist. Be with me. Always."? Fuck off.

Dinosaur scene along with anything other on universe and with cool effects and visuals is about the creation of the world.
Hope that helps to understand it better as to what this all about.
It's not your fault though. Sean Penn himself has said that though the screenplay is absolutely beautiful, it's too abstract sometimes and things don't come out sometimes.
It's hard to get into this style at the first try, but this movie something really beautiful IMHO, and it is definitely worth the try.

>Malick
>dishonest

Actually one of the most honest directors still working.

How do you make something not pretentious? Do you quip a lot? You don't say anything? Maybe you don't do anything in order not to be called pretentious?

Mallick follows his truth, he doesn't want to sound smart or to fuck hot bitches thanks to his work (though he likes them bitches), he just does stuff that he thinks is right.

In KoC he didn't use pilgrim stuff, tarot and poetic dialogue simply because they are cool, he believes that stuff contains truth so he uses it.

>kid dies
>mommy says why god why would u do this
>que book of job metaphor
>dinosaurs showing how the universe started birth of morality etc etc
>god basically saying yo mommy how do u know what my plan is im god and ur not dont question me
>film is about that struggle of understanding ur own blind faith

starting with a quote from Job should be the clue to have an understanding of the book before watching

That's exactly the reason that I thought it was pretentious. Because there wasn't actually any truth behind the choices.

They didn't do anything to enhance the meaning. The parallels you can draw between the pilgrims progress and knight of cups are so fucking vague they're practically nonexistent. Likewise with the tarot cards.

The prose is the worst part though. It's the kind of stuff a 14 year old girl would post on social media. Everything is so superficially deep. Bullshit like "I was waiting all my life for life to finally begin" (I made that up, but you probably couldn't tell, could you?)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mallick was trying to get one over on the audience. I genuinely believe that he puts his heart into the work. I just think his ideas aren't nearly as profound as he thinks they are.