Will there ever be a cinematic director and production team talented enough to adapt the literary works of Howard...

Will there ever be a cinematic director and production team talented enough to adapt the literary works of Howard Phillips Lovecraft?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt1756479/
youtu.be/p6vTI7aDIHc
youtu.be/pd5gWGfnK5M
youtu.be/4t-MxVyublk
youtu.be/zEiC4a6PLcI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No because he was an anti semite

I doubt it.

Any time he is brought up in conversations today it is always about how racist he was. Not about his work.

Lovecraft's horror is something that eats away at you internally. Audio (radio) might be able to capture it, but video never will.

He got better, married a jewish girl even.
Death of the author, etc.

He would regularly shit talk the Jews while out in public with her. Just because he loved one jew, doesn't mean he didn't hate the rest

before he died he denounced his racism

Ben Wheatley with Kill List convinced me he could properly make an atmospheric Lovecraft film but his movies have been...okay since that one.

Fuck Toro because he's all about monsters and shit which is not what Lovecraft is about. he's like a child playing with action figures

Lynch has directed some surreal moments in his career that are a bit Lovecraftian.

Huge Lovecraft fan and I usually end up at a loss when thinking about someone actually adapting his work. I'm going to say it but yeah - True Detective season 1 was the closest we've come to actual Loveraftian horror

>Any time he is brought up in conversations today it is always about how racist he was
Only on fucking Sup Forums, where you cannot go five fucking seconds without someone feeling the need to bring it up.

No, because his writing is shit.

You're more into Dan Brown I take it

>i am the real contrarian
>fight for the rights of every user

The thing is that when people think about adapting HPL they only think about the aesthetic part of the monsters.
When in fact the Lovecraft is much more about the complete feeling of powerlessness or complete helplessness that people are subjugated directly or indirectly which drives them to madness.

I would prefer a director who can create the right atmosphere, and who can make a character transition smoothly from curious to completely mad.

Maybe, Flincher.

only Sup Forums is obsessed with this faggot

I was actually going to suggest Fincher

Lovecraft would need a deliberate director who can do a lot with a little

Didn't Carpenter do a version of Mountains of Madness or am I making that up?

Anyway, for films that create the feel, I call Alien, the Thing, movies like that have clearly used him as inspiration.

Also Re animator is a direct adaptation though it does away with the Lovecraftian feel entirely.

>Didn't Carpenter do a version of Mountains of Madness or am I making that up?

he did In The Mouth Of Madness which was more of a homage to Lovecraft and King as writers.

>Anyway, for films that create the feel, I call Alien, the Thing, movies like that have clearly used him as inspiration.

Two of the only actual Lovecraftian films.

>Also Re animator is a direct adaptation though it does away with the Lovecraftian feel entirely.

Reanimator was pulp nonsense he did for cash

There was a huge debate not too long ago about removing a statue of his from some writer's hall/museum. The main argument was because he was a racist and they wanted to replace it with one of some black woman.

It's not at all unusual for racists to like individual members of the race they're bigoted against. People are quick to disregard stereotypes for special cases.

>Fuck Toro because he's all about monsters and shit which is not what Lovecraft is about.
Del Toro would be ideal for a Dreamscape movie for that reason. But if no one is making a Mythos film they sure as hell aren't going to finance a Dreamscape one.

Sup Forums has never read his stuff. Anyone that memes about Cthulhu eating humanity hasn't.

>before he died he denounced his racism
Too bad that all his books are still racist.

B O Y CO T T
O
Y
C
O
T
T

>better
i think you might have that backwards m8

>be me, 15 years old
>very introverted, constantly reading Lovecraft, it fascinates me, his works are literally a solace to me
>fast forward to college
>"nerdy" roasties meme Cthulhu without even reading the stories

>his works are literally a solace to me

>Lovecraft
>solace
u wot

The definitive Lovecraft work has already been produced.

There's literally nothing Lovecraftian about that game. If you think there is you've never read Lovecraft. And it's also not a film.

I was a weird edgemaster

>muh indescribable horror
>muh euclidean structure
>muh nameless terror

He was a hack writer with a good imagination. Lord dunsany did lovecraft better

>>muh euclidean structure
Why was Lovecraft so terrified of things not composed of right angles?

Pessimists are nice people. Read Lovecraft's essays. He sounds like he was an incredibly pleasant and compassionate man, despite the doom and gloom. His outlook on the world was pretty much 'it's all a big pointless nothing so we might as well all be nice to each other and cling to our native traditions because that's all we've got.' He wasn't a racist in the naive modern sense, he didn't just hate people for not being European. He was more just opposed to cosmopolitanism and foreign influence because he thought they undermined the protective and nurturing aspects of society.

I've read Lovecraft and I found it Lovecraftian. Checkmate atheist. King's Field is better anyway so who cares?

You've literally not have played it then.

My favourite story is Ex Oblivione. And you?

Just watch The Thing, watch Alien and stop fucking complaining.

It'll never work.

Colour Out of Space could work, you don't even need that big of a budget to pull it off and it's well paced.

Stop mistaking Lovecraft's work for being about monsters and aliens. They often built up to those things but the bulk of the stories were usually about exploration and landscape/architecture.

Did you really play the game user or do you just hate Sup Forums?
>The Victorian Gothic city that has devolved into madnesss you've been exploring was actually influenced by the worship of extra-dimensional "Old Ones"

>before he died he denounced his racism
source please

shame that he died early though

The problem is not that there wouldn't be people skilled enough to make Lovecraftian horror work, the problem is that it would not have mass appeal and thus would not be economically viable.

Lovecraft has a niche audience these days, and movies need to be marketable to teenagers. Its not about his works being so "hard", that no director would understand them, its about most people finding that shit boring.

>Audio (radio) might be able to capture it, but video never will.
this

>age to Lovecraft and King as writers.
I didn't get that impression. How so?

The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath, because I read a lot of his stories out of publication order and reading that story made me realize that multiple storied locations in his mythos actually existed in the "dream realm" outside Earth. It made not understanding references to places like grotesque Leng in other stories worth it. Realizing some of the more fantastic stories took place in a dream realm was great.

>he didn't just hate people for not being European. He was more just opposed to cosmopolitanism and foreign influence because he thought they undermined the protective and nurturing aspects of society.
He also seems to have had a literal phobia.

>Stop mistaking Lovecraft's work for being about monsters and aliens. They often built up to those things but the bulk of the stories were usually about exploration and landscape/architecture.
You say that but then call Bloodborne Lovecraftian because it's got alien tentacle monsters.

Lovecraft didn't write anything in a Victorian setting that I'm aware of, either.

>Colour Out of Space could work, you don't even need that big of a budget to pull it off and it's well paced.
Good luck inventing a color no one's ever seen before but actually registers to human senses. The film adaptation is going to have to wait until you can selectively induce synesthesia in the audience so it can be the color seven or some shit.

No, the real problem is that it could have mass appeal, but producers don't want to risk it.

You literally have not played the game.

>The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath, because I read a lot of his stories out of publication order and reading that story made me realize that multiple storied locations in his mythos actually existed in the "dream realm" outside Earth. It made not understanding references to places like grotesque Leng in other stories worth it. Realizing some of the more fantastic stories took place in a dream realm was great.
Some places exist in both. There's a physical Kadath in Antarctica that is linked but distinct from the Kadath in the Dreamscape. Though they're both unpleasant.

imdb.com/title/tt1756479/

Colour Out of Space is in pre-production. Funded by Elijah Woods company Spectrevision (Maniac remake) and directed by Richard Stanley (Hardware, Dust Devil.)

>a literal phobia
Where are proofs? And a cat named Nigger-Man isn't proof.

Kinda Lovecraftian but not really. Although I like to imagine the Event Horizon bumped into one of the Old Ones at the edge of space.

>Azathoth, or some say Azathothm

>Where are proofs? And a cat named Nigger-Man isn't proof.
How would naming his cat Nigger-man be evidence of a literal phobia?

It was a Warhammer 40k prequell

I explained why I consider Bloodborne Lovecraftian in that post, because it has a city destroyed by madness the source of which is the worship of horrendous being from outside of Earth that we would call "Gods."

This is more subjective but I got The Shadow Over Innsmouth vibes from Hemwick Charnel Lane.

The presentation seemed like a thin veneer rather than truly Lovecraftian to me though.It's just a Souls game with tentacle alien Gods. The themes aren't Lovecraftian. And yeah Amygdala looks like something that might be in a Lovecraft story but it doesn't behave in a way a Mythos "God" would at all.

Also I forgot the fishing hamlet and the Orphan of Koss in the DLC. Yes the fast action focus of the game and the ability to actually fight these beings flies in the face of Lovecraft, but that's due to the nature of the game itself. The influence is still there even if it isn't a perfect representation of one of his stories.

Lovecraft was an awful writer that only appeals to edgy teenagers and manchildren. His work is atrociously bad and if you attempt to defend it then you are embarrassing yourself!

I really can't see that happening, most moviegoers want to see monsters chasing braless blonde women in white tank tops. I'm fairly sure they conduct research into what people would like to watch, its not just some suit pulling shit out of his ass.

Yeah like I just tried to say, it uses Lovecraftian influence in a pure action game setting. Of course the encounters with the "Gods" in the game didn't end with the player being unable to cope with or comprehend what they were facing, although the game does have a frenzy mechanic which seems to represent insanity and kills or nearly kills you when the bar fills up. I thought the giant eye-covered brain of Mensis firing mental thought-spears of pure madness at you as long as it could see you was also a fair representation.

I would like to see a braless blonde woman raped by a Deep One in a decaying New England fishing village.

On the Creation of Niggers would translate into pure kino, can't wait.

Just admit that he is a terrible writer and we can move on. He was amateurish and frankly a trashy pulp fictionalist.

It's more about his subject matter, which some people are drawn to, than writing ability.

Terribly boring with a few wtf moments, still glad i read his complete works though.

Shadow Over Innsmouth is pretty suspenseful though.

Yeah, Dreams in the Witch-House, The Shadow Out of Time and The Haunter Of The Dark too I thought.

I actually thought dreams in the witch-house was pretty well done.

There already is an adaptation that they simply made in black and white.

Yes:

youtu.be/p6vTI7aDIHc
youtu.be/pd5gWGfnK5M
youtu.be/4t-MxVyublk
youtu.be/zEiC4a6PLcI

>NEGRO EGGS

Every thread about H.P. Lovecraft must ultimately devolve into a frantic shitstorm of made-up facts, ebin memes and people sperging about his racism and classism.
Fuck off, the lot of you.

The only 'FACT' you need to know about Lovecraft is that he was a terrible writer who overcompensated due to a lack of education. Poe, on the other hand, was truly great.

Ignore Lovecraft if you have not read him. You are missing nothing. He was shit.

Poe is far superior.

I don't give a crap about your opinion, in all honesty.

Bump

The trick to Lovecraft is you're not allowed to do Lovecraft, just things like Lovecraft.

Thus Horror Hotel is still the closest thing in tone even almost sixty years on.

I would have liked del toro's at the mountain of madness visually.
He was going to work spetral motion, which are the same guys that worked on hellboy

>I would have liked del toro's at the mountain of madness visually
Me too, I love the albino penguin design.
The script was hogshit, though.

No. Visuals don't work with the cosmic horror stuff unless it's something like The Dunwich Horror, but an invisible monster won't fly.

True Detective S1 is the only thing ive seen that really captures the feel of a Lovecraft novel. Its not about the tentacle monsters, its about the creeping unease and wrongness that grows over time.

He had a phobia of African voodoo and miscegenation, not necessarily different cultures.

>No. Visuals don't work with the cosmic horror stuff
There goes this meme again.

What sort of people read Lovecraft?

up until the criminal minds tier last episode

Role-playing neckbeards, pop culture autists and people who actually like 'weird fiction'

>that pic tho :3

His cat's name was Niggerman

Meant for

He owned Nigger-Man in his early teens, and he was probably named by his mother/aunts. What's your point?

Rats in the Walls would make a great short desu

There are bunch that manage to feel Lovecraftian:

-The Thing
-The Mist
-IT
-The Mothman Prophecies

And another bunch that take some direct references to make the films interesting:

-Hellboy
-Cabin in the Woods

>tfw there will be a proper adaptation of The Colour Out of Space.

What is Lovecraftian about it? I heard before I started watching it it's got 'Cthulhu-shit' in it, but I haven't noticed it at all really. I only have the last episode to watch now.

There won't be a colour out of spacce movie because you can't capture the color. I know of some german movie that played it by doing the movie black and white but it is shit. I think it is very well adaptable if some genius does the aesthetics and shit right (like the trees moving on their own and shit)
Many Lovecraft's short stories are very well adaptable it's fags like that made me think they haven't actually read him. It's not always some unspeakable thing that turns the person crazy. Real shit happend to the MC and in the end he either sees something ethereal or understands the implications. For example
>Rats in the Walls
>Innsmouth
>The Festival
etc
could be very well adapted if the director is good and manages to capture the weird sensation you have when you read it.

I remember reading about some tech that could cause people to see new colours through a special pair of glasses

Yeah if you're colorblind

lovecraft was a hack desu

Wow first post

the last episode has a wrestling match on top of the superdome between cthulhu and hastur

>She seems to have immediately fallen in love with him. For his part, Lovecraft keeps a reserved attitude. To tell the truth, he knows absolutely nothing of women. It is she who has to make the first move, and even the following ones. She invites him to dinner, comes to visit him in Providence. Finally, in a little Rhode Island town called Magnolia, she takes the initiative to embrace him. Lovecraft blushes, then goes totally white. When Sonia mocks him gently, he has to explain that it is the first time he has been embraced since his early childhood.
This happens in 1922, and Lovecraft is thirty-two. He and Sonia will marry two years later. Over the course of months, he seems progressively to thaw. Sonia Greene is an exceptionally pleasant and charming woman; in the general view, a very beautiful woman also. And in the end the inconceivable comes to pass: the “old gentleman” falls in love.
Later, after the breakdown, Sonia will destroy all of the letters that Lovecraft sent to her; there only exists a single one, bizarre and pathetic in the will to understand human love by one who feels, in all regards, so distant from humanity.

Can't believe I share this board with this kind of pleb

;_;

Dreamquest might work because it's mostly a straight adventure, the hardest part would just be getting the right sense of dread for the black rock island, the monastery at Leng, and for the priest. That can be done with musical ques and proper framing.