Most movies I see nowadays have bland a nd underwhelming representations of grief, rage, deep sadness, desperation, etc

Most movies I see nowadays have bland a nd underwhelming representations of grief, rage, deep sadness, desperation, etc

What are movies/actors that show these emotions properly?

Pic NOT related

beat me to it.

same

I thought this was considered shit by Sup Forums

Bad Lieutenant

Eh that scene and the police station are pretty fuckin good.

That nocturnal animals had some desperation in it.

Make your own opinon, user.

yeah keitel was great

This.

the fountain
synecdoche, new york

All modern tv/ film acting is fucking garbage. it's like no one wants to create a genuine, believable scene anymore.

It's either safe or edgy, overly gritty or overly clean. And never meaningful or "deep".

What we have now is the only good movies being just partly good.

Pleb detected

Drive

Manchester by the Sea

Eh

I hate the fact that you're right

Blue Ruin

you'll mostly find this in war movies.

>The Man Who Sleeps
>Oslo, August 31st
>The Hunt
>Eraserhead
>Polytechnique
>The Pawnbroker

I understand why that movie by Will Smith would trigger you people
Great movie btw

i thought the guy in this did a really good job at grief, far better than anything i was expecting from the movie
like it's a twisty thriller and in the middle of it the dude is knocking out a 10/10 raw performance that the movie didn't even really need

>expecting millionaires to ever properly be able to display these human emotions

Does anybody know any films about breakups?

Manchester by the Sea is not a meme, it's worth watching

Bresson films

Jackie

The Wrestler
Good Will Hunting
Creed (some moments)
The Hunt
Room
Split
The Theory of Everything
Warrior

KEK

Actually this is a good post, the viewer experiences deep sadness and rage at the same time while he watches something as atrocious as this

There was a miniseries on Irish tv called "smalltown" that was super emotional in a very human and realistic way, it was really good.

Underrated post

The movie was pretty bad but mel gibsons reaction to losing his sons in the patriot, especially when heath ledger died. Mel displays confusion, anger, sadness, rage, and grief all at once its nuts I really wish I could find the scene i am talking about.

is the joke that bresson literally didn't allow his actors to emote?

They look like they're going to kiss.

Synecdoche New York is one of those movies that I can't physically watch because it hits way too close to home.

>Oslo, August 31st

This. Really liked this movie for not falling into cliches.

Shame

Honestly, is this movie good? Im thinking about watching it

>>Oslo, August 31st

Thirded. That movie wrecked me

John Q.

The movie literally made me cry, fuck what Sup Forums thinks about it, it's a great movie.

American. There is still a few french (VERY few now) and canadian movies/tv series that do it properly. Italians used to be good at that, but not since the 90s.

People don't want to see proper emotional responses from actors, it's too disturbing to their coddled little fragile minds.

Not kidding. It makes the sheeples feel "weird" and "bad" on the inside.

Agreed. But I have to point out that the best Denzel Kino is, and will always be, Ricochet.

If you don't agree, I will fight you! Let me put my armor made of telephone books on and take my spear and we'll go at it Prison Style you boxer wearing nigger!

Sorcerer has all of that.

I also unironically think Nic Cage can pull it off with the right script and directing.

Les Miserables
The Passion of Joan Darc

Hence all the Whedonesque dialogue that seems to have become de rigeur these days. There is so much undercutting of dramatic moment with insipid humour these days to provide "comedic relief".

Too much irony, too much sarcasm. Some critics blame Star Wars for infantilizing american cinema.

I'd say 'Star Wars' can probably shoulder some of the blame but It's by no means soley responsible.

I got carried away; it's not that Star Wars itself is to blame, it was an honest escapism piece; the fact that it made a ton of money and the fact that some movies like Sorcerer and New York, New York didn't, led producers to question the artistic vision of directors.

That was never questioned, only how much they costed. After SW, everything had to be made with some sort of warranty, safe filmmaking.

Yeah, I can agree with that.

But Star Wars was not inherently safe filmmaking.

Some of those are good. Some are shit.

21 grams
5 minutes of heaven
Gone baby gone

I feel like modern society's preoccupation with emotionally and dramatically shallow escapism is not a good sign about where we're heading. People seem to to actually get angry if a movie tries to challenge them in any way.

Of course not, but it also didn't challenge the viewer as some contemporary films did.

BvS is great

But all of them have at least 1 good emotional scene

Birth.