The Shining

Just rewatched this and I'm stunned how I didn't pick up on the nutjob vibes from Jack in the beginning. What other small details did you notice? Did Kubrick really pay this close attention to things?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AmcnnRv58Z4
youtu.be/XmXqf768bjE
youtu.be/4BMGq1c5YNU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Did Kubrick really pay this close attention to things

it took like 11 months to shoot and some scenes took more than 50 takes to get "right", so i guess the answer is yes.

The guy is a single white male, how could you not get the nutjob vibe lol

I loved the haunted ballroom scene it's so bizarre

>single

Are you one of those people who likes to talk about classic movies without having watched them?

>The guy is a single white male

the plot of the film is he goes to the hotel with his WIFE AND SON.

fucking retard.

Nicholsons acting is so fantastic in that as well, it's almost like you can just picture him drunk and dancing alone in the room. The way Grady goes from servile and meek to psychopath is so well done.

I watched it recently
So many aspects and motifs of The Shining have entered popular culture that it was like a sightseeing tour of modern cinematic tropes desu
I was literally like "Oh cool this must be the part where he found an elevator that looked like a scary face and all the food colouring runs out lol"

His wife's son
LOL!

That scene in the bathroom is also amazing
>A NIGGER COOK
And you just sharing Jack's bewildered expression the whole time

he's a white male. he probably kidnapped them before the movie started.

then a black man comes, he has some special powers

causality has shifted i see

I read the book for the first time recently and decided to give it a rewatch, did Kubrick even read the fucking thing? Completely butchers all the characters.

He's not single
unlike me

Who cares? Stephen King is fucking trash. Kubrick made a great film out of an atrocious book.

>Uh, Mr Grady. You WERE the caretaker here.

Sheeeit I'd rather be single than married to a woman who looks like Olive Oil from Popeye

So why didn't the ghosts help him out of the maze?

The accident on the highway is a direct reference to how Kubrick didn't like the book and purposely did that to piss King off.

Having watched and read both, I prefer Kubrick's because it aims for a subtle, unannounced mystery you never really know the answer to.

King goes overboard with supernatural, you can't compare both because they're going in different directions.

I read this analysis (which is long, poorly written and full of a lot of bullshit around a few good points) which said that there weren't really any ghosts and it's actually Jack's visions because he has the Shinning and just doesn't know it.

But Wendy sees them too? Could just be the ghosts have no jurisdiction outside the hotel.

>single
Here's a (You)

Wendy has the shinning too. It just kicked in near the end due to emotional pressure or something.

>The accident on the highway
What accident?

When the cook is on his way to the hotel he passes a crashed truck.

Best scene

youtube.com/watch?v=AmcnnRv58Z4

>white male

youtu.be/XmXqf768bjE

Did we watch the same movie?

Or do you seriously not get that the point of the film is that his wife and son died 5 years prior to the movie's events?

I thought it was super obvious the first time I watched it and I'm a dumbass. Even in the first few scenes he seems like an abusive spouse and father, particularly when the social worker comes in and Shelly Duvall is making excuses for him and lying about the time it happened. Also the interview scene made him seem creepy but I don't remember why

And what is the significance of that to King?

You might like seeing some of the analysis of the movie. Its been shown that Kubrick took very detailed notes on the book, and wanted to subvert the story. Completely flip certain elements around.

You are now aware that Lloyd the bartender was Dr. Tyrell in Blade Runner.

Fuck off, everybody knows that, because it's immediately obvious.

The car crashed into a red VW bug, a reference to the novel's color of car. The movie has a yellow VW bug that Jack drives.

Funny that you'd say that...

t. Stephen King

Ever see the ending?
youtu.be/4BMGq1c5YNU

>kubrick was a perfectionist
>fucks up the credits

POTTERY

What, because he was trying to go cold turkey?

Oh my god - I just put that together.

Cold

Turkey