What did Sup Forums think of this movie?

What did Sup Forums think of this movie?

shitty on the level of The Possession (2012). lower than Insidious, Conjuring. better than Ouija.

Main character was excellent. Not inherently likable but very interesting which is a rarity in most horror movies, which often gloss over compelling characters and instead coast off of the horror itself. Even classics like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween are guilty of this. Having based Ethan Hawk portray him was a bonus.

First half of the movie was fantastic (except for the night terrors scene). Great suspense, mystery, build up, genuinely creepy. Deputy So and So was a likable comic relief, but dialed back enough to not interfere with the horror elements.

Movie turns to absolute dog shit when the mystery element is removed at the halfway point so they can reveal the killer is actually an ancient supernatural Babylonian demon called Baghul who eats the souls of children. The movie turns into a complete and utter fucking trainwreck from that point onwards. It's funny because it's not as if they built up this incredible first half but backed themselves into a corner with nowhere to go in the second half. All they had to do was continue the mystery and have Ethan Hawk press onwards with his investigation. But instead they had to go down the supernatural road.

Complete letdown. Genuinely could've gone down as a classic if the second half was any good.

Are those the only horror films you've seen in your life? The Possession and Ouija are both generic forgettable teeny bopper horror. Insidious was good, wasn't a fan of the first Conjuring although it was well made. Sinister is not without artistic merit.

I agree with this user
the thing I would add, is that, all of these movies are complete fucking garbage and ranking them against each other is a pointless endeavor

I'd rank The Posession the highest because Matisyahu was in it, and that's pretty neat

no, I was comparing Sinister to horror movies of similar quality released in the same proximity to provide context as to just how shitty Sinister is

Great first half, awful second half.

I liked it. Pretty spooky at times. From some reason Baagul's design scares the shit out of me and gives me the creeps

Hey, you guys want to hear my pitch for a horror movie? It's inspired by Sinister.

I liked what they did with the music/sound.

Ghost children weren't needed.

Possession and Ouija are not on the same tier as Insidious and Conjuring. Possession and Ouija are cash grabs commissioned by the studios, made by directors for hire who did not give a flying fuck about the movie they were making. Soulless products that were being pumped into the movie theater knowing dumb teenagers will go to see them just so they can talk about how hilarious it was when Stacey jumped so hard she spilled her popcorn.

You may not like Insidious and The Conjuring but they were well made films directed by someone who cares about cinema. If you deny this you're a simpleton with terrible comprehension skills. I dislike films such as The Innkeepers, House of the Devil and Kill List, or even the first Conjuring but I can acknowledge they were well made and directed by made with passion for the genre.

Sequel is way better

Whoa, a reasonable response. I'm afraid.

I agree with your analysis mostly but it wasn't the switch to supernatural that ruined it. It's the spooky kids that ruin it. Children just aren't a good focal point for horror imo. Still one of my favorite horror films but this might just be because I watched it while tripping the first time.

Also while I liked what the sequel tried to do but the snuff films were shit. It was as good of an attempt at a sequel could have been plotwise.

>directed by someone who cares about cinema
Sorry, I don't give out A's for effort. I only care if the finished product was good.
The only difference this makes is that I'm more likely to give the director another chance.

bagool

Gabagool?

Okay, so, it's called "Jump!" And then there in the titles it's subtitled "Don't Jump!" Because that's the plot of the movie, if you jump then he gets you.

And the main villain is called Jumpin' Jack! And nobody knows this except for maybe a scientist dude but way back long ago in the olden days, Jumpin' Jack! was a Jack-in-the-box, that some wizard made for the poor children to play with and they loved him so much he became real, but they loved him so much they tore the head and spring out of the box.

And now in the future days he's still a head on a spring but he lost his box so he jumps up from behind couches and closet doors and doggy doors and refrigerators and glove compartments and things like that. But only when somebody sings or plays or hums or saves a ringtone of "Pop Goes the Weasel" because that's what makes him jump out, but you can't jump because that's when he gets you.

I actually quite liked Baghul's design although most people just handwave him as a Slipknot wannabe. The idea of it being a (copycat) killer (with accomplices) or a cult was infinitely more terrifying and creepy. The movie wasn't completely destroyed for me when they revealed Baghul, but I was definitely disappointed in the direction it was going. I agree the spooky kids is when the film passed the point of redemption.

I liked the electrocution kill in the second one and the Christmas one is the best kill in the entire series. I agree the rest were shit though. They have to stay simple for them to be effective, when you get to the point where you're hanging an entire family upside down by their feet over a pond so an alligator can come over to bite their heads off it's so convoluted you just wonder why even bother.

What relevance does your post have to do with this discussion?
>I was comparing Sinister to horror movies of similar quality released in the same proximity
Ouija and The Possession, as I just demonstrated are nowhere near on the same level of quality. The finished "products" of Insidious and Conjuring are light years above Ouija and The Possession. If you cannot see this you must have the analytic skills of a child.

>light years above
I'll give you that they are marginally better
but not so much better that it's worth mentioning them as distinct from the other examples

they're all formulaic, predictable and full of the exact same cliches/tropes

Bagoogoo?

I think you're actually right now that I'm thinking back over it. The alligator scene just really just left a sour taste in mouth. But I liked the Christmas one and the church one. Mostly because of the soundtrack, which might just be the selling point of the series. But nothing tops the soundtrack in the car burning scene.

Also when I figured out Baguul is literally just the boogie man on a second watch made me appreciate everything a bit less. An interesting twist on the tale but still the fucking boogie man

Remove the jumpscare sounds.
Remove the ghost kids.
Then you'd have a good horror film.

Could you please shut the dooooooooooooor?

Honest Question: what's the fucking point making the bad guy a superhuman deity? It removes all tension and makes everything that happened beforehand worthless. If nothing the main character does could have ever changed the outcome because the evil god was always going to kill the whole family what's the fucking point? Someone fucking explain this to me

He could of just not moved out

YEah, I think it was supposed to be a false sense of security that by moving out he somehow beat it