/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Prev on /lang/:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png
i.imgur.com/OR95Lah.jpg
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg
daserste.de/
germanwithandrew.com/list-of-sites-to-watch-german-online/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

LANGUAGE-SPECIFIC IMAGE GUIDES/WALKTHROUGHS:

>Arabic
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png

>Farsi
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png

>Finnish
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png

>French
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png

>German
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png

>Irish
i.imgur.com/OR95Lah.jpg

>Japanese
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png

>Mandarin (traditional characters)
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png

>Russian
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png

>Spanish
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png

>Swedish
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png

>Turkish
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg

guess what thread's going to prematurely die again

not this thread

can anyone recommend any good video series and/or grammar textbooks on Korean?

Good thread, before any misunderstanding I'm Persian with Japanese VPN
I'm learning German, and now after a while I tried to find German materials, especially dubbed Sitcoms and Mangas, but almost impossible!

Extremely hard to find a good dubbed American sitcom, I've found a couple of free live tv channels though, if they can help just ask. Germans take piracy and copyright extremely serious sadly.

Anyway, I'm looking for a particular manga, in German, called "To Love Ru", the German version is "Love Trouble"

German manga sources don't have nearly as many numbers as German hentais. The best one I found was Wiemanga.com and barely has any I like. I'd appreciate if anyone knows any

I'm perfectly fluent in two and know three languages in general, and very familiar with one more, I guess this table underestimates one's ability to learn a language.

With the heavy extended content 6 months for only category 1!? Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

>I've found a couple of free live tv channels though, if they can help just ask

hit me wit dat ish

thread dont die

You're not progressing from Cat 1 to Cat 5, those are groups of languages grouped from easy Cat 1s to hard Cat 5s. Heavy Extended content would let you learn an easy Cat 1 lang like spanish in 6 months. See the Cat lists here: effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

I liked this one better, but others are on the article below it, their tv format is more like Japan than US, less series more different shows and games:
daserste.de/

The article:
germanwithandrew.com/list-of-sites-to-watch-german-online/

I thought they were levels of fluency, but still at least after studying like that it'll take 6 month seems a bit much.

Because after knowing languages I know now (Arabic and Persian are amongst them) I totally think it's not that hard to learn an average language in 3 month or even less! Am I being retarded desu?

Maybe I am, forget about it X)

Thanks btw ^^

I'm learning my first lang spanish right now so I wouldn't know how accurate some of these are.

>Korean

I want to know this too.

jan pi toki pali li lon seme? ;_;

Learning languages is hard and don't worth the hardships. Help me

It will help you get a gf

What are you learning?

I've taken up studying german. Is it realistic to be somewhat proficient in about 4 months time with regularly studying? I don't mean anything like having meaningful conversations, just understanding a good amount of what people say or write.

Noka? In russian it would be "noga"

What Language is that? i recognize a lot of slavic words in there

Toki Pona.

The language seems interesting, Croatian Finnish and Esperanto are not what you'd expect the words of a meme-language to come from. Too bad i'm already busy with Polish and Croatian

For vocab, is it better to learn in categories (like anatomy, directions, etc) or just whatever is shown in a textbook?