Manchester by the Sea

Not sure if it's because of my period or the film was actually that heart wrenching.

Other urls found in this thread:

nydailynews.com/news/national/md-mom-famous-smacking-rioting-son-homeless-kid-fire-article-1.2753858
insideedition.com/headlines/21571-dad-who-lost-3-daughters-in-2011-christmas-house-fire-dies-at-51
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>that moment when he's sitting on the back of the boat and he smiles for the first time in the whole movie
...if only the film ended right there

IDK man, I felt like that ending was if not awesome, kind of fitting.
I mean he is a totally broken character, really didn't expect him to move back with Patrick and a so called "very happy ending".

The scene at the police station was pure kino.

Most effective horror film of 2016, what a fucking nightmare

>my period
kys roastie

I planned watching A Man Called Ove, Land of Mine and Nocturnal Animals after this.
Damn! I started with the wrong movie. I'm so devastated right now.

>when he tries to kill himself in the police station

Fuck Casey is great

You can skip Nocturnal Animals, desu. Or don't pay for it, at least.

go eat tendies

He really does a great fucking job. For the first 30 minutes or so, I kind of didn't get the hype, he's very low-key and understated and in many scenes he's barely "acting" at all.

But at a certain point I realized I was legitimately worried about his character and desperate for any sign of hope that he'd be OK, and it's rare for a movie to get to me like that anymore

I knew he was great when the first flashback rolls and I saw him being this social blue collar guy instead of the depressed fuck he is in the present. The contrast is very well done and it hints the magnitude of his transformation

Movie of the year for me in any case

I knew he was great when I saw him for the first time at the morgue. Look at his hand gestures when he enters there. He was so puzzled like any normal person in real life.

I saw this at a theater that all the Jewish ladies in Boston go to and everyone was crying.

I had the weirdest reaction to this film. I felt numb at the end. But I was thinking about it all the way home (with my hands in my pockets like Lee) and I sat there eating and thinking about the film and suddenly I started to well up. I have never had such a delayed emotional response to a film. If he doesn't win the Oscar I'll be annoyed.

My uncle told me I remind him of Lee. I haven't seen the movie yet. Am I doing something wrong in life?

I saw a lot of myself in Lee. Self-destruction, depression, social awkwardness stemming from low self-esteem...

He turns down a lot of social invitations because he doesn't feel he deserves them.

>If he doesn't win the Oscar I'll be annoyed.

Seriously this.

I saw Manchester by the Sea and Hacksaw Ridge the same weekend and jesus fucking christ the contrast was pretty HARD if you know what I mean. I felt I was watching a cartoon or a capeshit flick with HR

(Maybe) yes. But don't worry you're not alone user.

Do you have crippling sense of guilt and a "just die in my sleep already" attitude in life?

I do.

>He turns down a lot of social invitations because he doesn't feel he deserves them.
Oh dear

I pretty much am Lee except i never burned down my house full of kids. I work a shitty construction job for over 70 hours a week. Haven't had friends or cared about myself or anything else for almost ten years now.

>When you realize Lee pulls the trigger of the gun, but it's not loaded and fails a suicide.
>When you realize you can hear a quiet "please" coming off Lee when the police wrestle the gun away from him.
wev

>tfw Lee rejecting his ex wife so he could just keep on suffering was a more satisfying revenge than the one in Nocturnal Animals, a movie about revenge

And I liked Nocturnal Animals

Why does he have as gf the worst girl, shitty singer, can't even score with her and slut girl aviable instead of titty well mannered caring beautiful girl? This was fucking atrocious and makes me hate him so fucking much.

Also, don't waste the ice cream if you aren't eat it fully you fucking disgrace I want to fucking punch him in the face so badly

Horrible media reading skill.

A Man Called Ove is one of those movies who cheat you to death and make you cry like a baby when the movie itself doesn't deserve it. Land of Mine is pretty good and should win Best Foreign Language, but it will not.

>Land of Mine should win over the masterpiece that is PV's "Elle"

No. Watch more films.

>my period
Uhmm that only happens to boys, user...

>.png (2.49 MB

You're all praising it as a comedy, right?

I think the gun was with the safety on, then he unlocks it and tries again but he got the cops over him alredy.

To be honest I was calling all the way that the house will get on fire... Not so surprising, the best thing was his acting and the character.

>that ever so slight bit of hope that he might inch towards getting better when he says his new place will have another bed

He's probably broke beyond repair, but that was a nice touch

>He turns down a lot of social invitations because he doesn't feel he deserves them.

too fucking close to home user, too close

Elle is not nominated. I'm talking about nominated movies this year dude. And I alredy watched Elle weeks ago so go back to your basement, pleb.

>Why does he have as gf the worst girl, shitty singer, can't even score with her and slut girl aviable instead of titty well mannered caring beautiful girl?
Umm, maybe because he is 16?! He doesn't want a girl acting like his mother all the time; just a girlfriend?

I think there is a new Avengers movie coming out, you should really check that out!

What are you talking about, the brunette was an obnoxious bitch. One of Lee's best moments was "no, I don't like her and I don't want her here tonight." He was really acting like a good father figure in that scene.

>And I alredy watched Elle weeks ago so go back to your basement, pleb.
I think your psychosis spilled some spaghetti on the alphabet soup.

Anyways Land of Mine wasn't nothing noteworthy.

Toni Erdmann? Not talking about if it will win or not, who the fuck cares about that!
Asking you liked it or not?

He turns down purely social invitations because he is dead inside person that can't talk about anything. How could he? He burned his family , there's not much you can talk about after that. The one time he goes in to help Patrick he just can't talk about anything but he isn't really spilling spaghetti like a hikikomori would.

If he was a hikikomori he wouldn't work as a reliable janitor in Boston or look for work in MbtS (both of which he does in the film).

Y O R K
O
R
K

It was good. I felt bad for based afleck

Personally I think he should get it retrospectively for Robert Ford as well. It's the most nuanced performance in years. By Hollywood standards anyway.

Yeah.

Way too close for me as well. I felt the scene where he turns down the first invite to come in to the woman's home so hard.

Well, that too. But it's an endless cycle. He knows what he needs to do but can't bring himself to do it because he feels the need to punish himself. Survivors guilt.

You have five seconds to describe how you'd handle this situation.

Exactly like he did, probably. ;_;

I cried a couple times during this film, such a wonderful drama. I think it worked so well because it was very down to earth and the emotional moments felt earned and grounded in reality.
Very tight screenplay compared to the usual melodrama we see

The parts where he punishes himself are when he gets drunk and starts up fights, that's some masochistic self punishment once in a while when he can't distract himself, but as a theme I don't think its that big in MtbtS

Social exclusion and moving away from the town is just logical reaction to something so horrible, as a way to cope with it. He can't live in MtbtS (not even in the film) after the incident. Self-punishment would be living there and be reminded of the incident every day (like when he is at the lawyer and has the flashbacks) and as far as him being not being in relationships, well, he did burn his kids and almost his wife.. doesn't mean he is punishing himself rather than just being too torn up inside to function as an alive person.

>"I think you might like my nephew"

I suppose so. Perhaps I'm just projecting my flaws on to Lee. I can't remember, but during the "reunion" between him and his wife does he ever look at her? From memory he just stares at the ground, but I might be misremembering.

I liked how initially you think he's just a dick, but it turns out it's more of a "protect others from himself" kinda thing. I don't know if he feels he doesn't deserve people, I think it's more of a fear of ruining their lives

"It's okay don't worry". Next thing I know I'm in the restroom, and not to clean it up of course!

But normally you won't even find me in that kind of environment irl.

I'm a miserable fuck so I'd either go about it the same way or get even more pissed at her

>and his wife
EX-wife*

He looks at her a few times in the funeral and in the meet at the alley.

Projecting one's self to characters not intended as a self insert is pretty narcissistic, especially one such as Lee which is a complete character.

>me drinking alone ever
>girl talking casually to me when alone ever

Can't see that happening to me I'm only functional within groups of people

The scene where Lee arrives to Patrick's practice is great. Just, so good. Lee is a sign of his father being at hospital or dead. A literal fucking grim reaper coming to tell him the bad news.

>I think it's more of a fear of ruining their lives
That's definitely what it is with Patrick, it's why he rejects the idea of being his guardian so fucking hard. His reaction is basically "You really think I can do this? Remember how it turned out last time?"

With other characters like the woman at the bar or the girlfriend's mom, I think he literally just doesn't have anything to say. He's not proud of his life or his career, he doesn't have any ambitions, and he doesn't WANT to form close connections with new people.

Way too close to home user, way too close.

Can you goys stop shilling this awful movie please?

Thanks.

Way too close to home user, way too close.

I don't think that's true, as he looked quite happy with Michelle Williams in the flashbacks

Can you stop shilling your awful taste in film? Thanks in advance :)

You're leading a way too happy life to be in this thread user.

read this post carefully

Yeah but that was before he ruined his own life. I'm talking about "present-day Lee"

>have to talk to some post-wall bitch just so your nephew can get his dick wet
>he doesn't even get said dick wet
>you don't get your dick wet
>leave

He takes some responsibility though.

He doesn't just fuck off from the town, he puts Patrick's things into order.
>managing the finances Patrick inherited
>making George his guardian
>taking care of the house being rented
>Becoming a friend to Patrick

as for why he is just quiet when he meets other sex, probably never stopped loving Randi just made himself numb to such feel.

She really seemed to enjoy cock-blocking Patrick and catching them "in the act." Bitch was a freak Lee should've hit that

>I can't remember, but during the "reunion" between him and his wife does he ever look at her?

He does but he's uncomfortable as fuck, they keep interrupting each other she trying to spend time with him and he trying to get the fuck out of there asap. Best scene in the movie, that's literally how it would go down in real life with people like these characters

lol as if that matters when ur his age

only thing that matters is whether or not she lets u suck those gorgeous tits and then nutblast em til they're glazed

Hey there Patrick

Loved this one. The scene when he meets up with Randi near the end fucking killed me.

fuuuuuuck that character

fuck the scene where the bitch in the bar 'spills' her drink on him hit too close to home too

except I have no excuse

Watching this piece of shit be typecasted as beta males now almost makes up for killing those people.

I always laugh a bit when the scene goes on after Lee has left the scene and camera just stays on directing Michelle Williams when she is saying sorry/excuse me.

Definitely one of those takes went beyond what was intended but director decided to leave it in.

It's clear that he really cares about Patrick, and the parental attitude comes through in several scenes. But he's constantly looking for someone else to take the responsibility off his shoulders, because he feels that pretty much anyone would do a better job than he would. It's not that he doesn't want Patrick around, it's that he's terrified by the idea of another person DEPENDING on him after he made such a horrible mistake with his own children.

At least that's the way I saw it. There's also the fact that the actual town is Lee's personal hell, and he'd rather live anywhere else on Earth other than Manchester. Maybe if Patrick hadn't been so firmly tied to living there, they could've actually worked the guardian thing out, it's tough to say.

It was pretty weird seeing him in this. I can't remember the last time I saw Matthew Broderick in anything recent.

I watched Ferris Bueller the day before. That was a weird experience.

Is Patrick a malformed Jesse Eisenberg by any chance? The similarities are uncanny at times.

unpopular opinion but this was movie wasn't that good and does not deserve an oscar

too much rode on the plot twist with the house burning down

basically the whole movie hingoes on that and that happening ain't normal at all. i thought this wouild be a realistic movie but that shit just doesn't happen in real life, especially not to white people like this. it might happent in third world countries or in the hood to dumb blacks but not with these people.

nydailynews.com/news/national/md-mom-famous-smacking-rioting-son-homeless-kid-fire-article-1.2753858

solid movie worth seeing but it's not an all-time great, not even close.

>basically the whole movie hingoes on that and that happening ain't normal at all. i thought this wouild be a realistic movie but that shit just doesn't happen in real life, especially not to white people like this
I really hope you're trolling

Wasn't very memorable

>insideedition.com/headlines/21571-dad-who-lost-3-daughters-in-2011-christmas-house-fire-dies-at-51

Stuff like this does happen though

Literally change the fire with a gas leak or some other bullshit accident to calm your autimus and the movie is just the same

Also white trash people get killed by waaay more stupid shit than this every day

>Is Patrick a malformed Jesse Eisenberg by any chance?
If anything, Jesse Eisenberg is a malformed Patrick. Patrick was qt

He was ready to fuck off with Patrick, then he was actually ready to live in Manchester (in my eyes) since 1. he looks for work there from multiple places 2. he goes back to Boston and takes his personal objects such as framed photos off with him to MbtS - but the incident where he sleeps and the stove starts smoking the house probably freaked the ever living shit out of him and he decides not to take the "risk" of moving with Patrick.

Human contact be it Patrick or gf. would definitely help him on his way to functioning like a human. There's some change in the end obv. as him and Patrick are friends and that's the second relationship Lee has had since the incident (the first one obv. being his brother)

>The inferno, caused by fireplace embers, took the lives of 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah, 9-year-old Lily, and their maternal grandparents Lomer and Pauline Johnson.

It even happened like the film too

I watched like the first 40 minutes of this, the point where they tell u about some logs rolling out of the fire what can I expect from the rest of this film?

>Posting on Sup Forums while watching a film.
>Pausing a film to post on Sup Forums.
you already failed at lfie

Nah, if it was a gas leak, it would've just been a freak accident. The reason the house-fire works so well is because it was COMPLETELY Lee's fault, to the point that it makes sense he'd torture himself for the rest of his life over it. But it's also clear that it was just a dumb accident, not intentional, the type of thing other characters could forgive even though he can't forgive himself.

That scene where he explains the whole thing to the police was just stomach-turning, there's no other way to describe it. Just a complete fucking nightmare. The look on his face when he realizes they're not going to arrest him or punish him in any way...

its a modern horror movie about a man who is walking dead

I liked the Dinner scene with Patrick's mum. Seeing her get all anxious then off she goes to the kitchen for a beer.

Ending was realistic. Thanks to the director for not treating the audience like children.

>what can I expect from the rest of this film?

Hopefully the strength to go back to r3ddit and never come back

ADHD

>That scene where he explains the whole thing to the police was just stomach-turning, there's no other way to describe it. Just a complete fucking nightmare. The look on his face when he realizes they're not going to arrest him or punish him in any way...

Absolutely this, and then it comes the suicide attempt with the mumbled "please" as he is reduced.

If this movie doesn't win I'm joining those antifa fucks and burning shit down in Hollywood

Will you be my gf

>If you don't like boring movies, you must have adhd!

Of course it's heart wrenching
his babies burned while he was out buying beer
he wanted to die because of it but was too scared to follow through after the initial attempt
the very sight of the town made him feel sick
he never wanted to be in charge of anyone ever again, but he had to watch over the kid
that meeting with his ex wife where she has a new kid on the way and tries to forgive him
this movie is Heart Wrenching through and through

DESU I just care about the nominations of any award ceremony, one of the way of getting to learn about good movies for me. Don't care anymore about who is winning and who's not. My favorites never wins.

>Heart Wrenching