So I just finished watching this movie. And I am not really getting the feels I am supposed to...

So I just finished watching this movie. And I am not really getting the feels I am supposed to. I know it's supposed to be realistic and portraying the true face of grief, but I honestly do not understand the hype around it. Am I the only one on this boat? Seriously? I have a slight feeling only elitists like this film. Also it fits perfectly with the definition of "oscar-bait":

"... Lavishly produced epic length period dramas..." etc...

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester-by-the-Sea,_Massachusetts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>lavishly produced
>epic length
>period drama
zero for three, good try retard

Roast me for having a different opinion than you. Also calling me names is ad hominem and not an argument. And yes it's 2 hours and 5 minutes which is really epic length. Also it's only tag is "drama" maybe not periodical, but still looks really tryharded. Now stop being so butthurt for offending your new favorite drama.

Casey literally walked around for 2 hours being sad and nothing more. That is a far cry from being Oscar-worthy.

I agree with you I just didnt feel any astral energy with this movie

It wasn't bad it was just very overrated.

did you even notice the stellar writing of this movie?

Please elaborate. If I was so subtle and genius at the same time for me not to notice it, then I am obviously retarded. But educate me, I am really interested in what you saw in this movie.

Why make a film where everything happens exactly the way you would expect it to?
Burning your kids alive ruins your life.
Wow, film at eleven! Glad I saw this to get that point rammed home.

This. It was basically "dude from Massachusetts has to deal with life in Massachusetts plus he burned up his fucking kids" the movie
It was alright but not worth the praise it's getting.

I'd assume it's getting mostly positive praise from people that don't know what human emotions are and think this is a good portrayal of what they should imitate.

>2 hours is epic length
either you're too stupid for this film or just baiting, either way, fuck off

Thanks for the constructive answer. Obviously I am too stupid for this movie. This movie made it feel a lot more than 2 hours due to the plot being over-prolonged an slow as shit.

Beautiful movie - and not without moments of laugh out loud levity.
Casey Affleck is a revelation.
The hunched shoulders and suppressed anger and sadness, modified by almost submissive politeness to those around him (except when it can't be contained) has echoes of the feelings evoked by James Dean's misunderstood persona.....you want to fold an arm around him and deliver some comfort.
The performances, as mentioned, are beautifully drawn and a nod also for Michelle Williams for a perfect chord of grief and forgiveness.
Gretchen Moll as Patrick's mother is chillingly rendered first as the frightened selfish wife and mother, and later the re-moulded creation of the sinister Christian boyfriend who is her 'salvation' and gaoler.
I wasn't overwhelmed by the sombre nature of the subject but utterly absorbed in the portrayals.
And the sequencing between present and past moves about seamlessly.
A gem of a film.

I enjoyed the movie, it still sits with me, but I was never moved to tears. Honestly I give the movie a big plus for that fact...I never felt manipulated into an emotion despite the ample opportunity to do so. Also he tried so hard to shove his depressed persona down my throat, at one point it was too unrealistic. A person experienced all that would be in a mental hospital. This movie fails to deliver realism as hard as it tries to.

>it's 2 hours and 5 minutes which is really epic length.

You're brain damaged.

Wow. You got pleb-filtered by a Casey Affleck joint. Stick to superhero movies and 80's revivals.

This movie is the antithesis of oscar bait. You just don't know about the world in how it really works. You were probably underwhelmed by this movie because you heard it was great and you automatically build up something retarded in your head of what the movie is supposed to be. And the reason is because you don't really understand and/or have any experience of how life works. There's no melodrama in this film whatsoever and you found it underwhelming because you haven't learned yet that most of life is underwhelming. This movie shows relationships in a very realistic way that you probably found uncomfortable. You just need to stop being a little bitch basically

None of the characters had british accents which ruined the film for me. What did the boat even represent?

I'm with you. I thought the writing/acting were very realistic (I have an uncle who acts exactly like Lee, lost his wife & 2 kids in a car accident) everything was well-done and all.

But it didn't really move me either, except the brief part where he starts opening up to his nephew a bit and it seems like there's some hope he's going to step up. I'm not a total pleb, I didn't need a Hollywood happy ending, but I just can't understand why you'd want to make a film about a guy like Lee if you're not going to give him any hope in the end. And don't give me the "realism" argument, there are real people who bounce back and make a new life for themselves after tragedies like Lee's. A story like that would've made a worthwhile film.

If they'd ended it with that scene where he helps his nephew fix the engine, and then he's riding on the back of the boat and you see him smile for the first time in the whole film, I would've liked it a lot more. But then it goes on for another 20 minutes and really extinguishes that possibility that he might get better. Which is perfectly believable for someone in his position, but I just don't have any use for a film this bleak and hopeless.

If Casey wins though, it'd be well-deserved. He couldn't have possibly done a better job with the character as written, and the fact that I even cared enough about his character's well-being to be pissed off by the ending is a sign of a great actor.

2 hours and a half actually.
>You're brain damaged.
not an arguements

Are you just replying because you feel obligated to reply only because I offended your elitist taste, or are you actually going to come out with a real point instead of just offending me.

>realistic way
Taken from another thread:
"And like I said it wasn't just heart disease. It was a rare as fuck condition that only affects like 2000 people in 100 million. And he just happened to have it. And he just happened to burn down his house with three kids. And they just managed to save the wife and not the kids. And they just managed to have a messy divorce. And he just managed to run into her on the street. And she just managed to have a baby with her new family.

Every single piece of plotting in this film was contrived, and served only to make him feel worse besides the boy, who was such a lovable rascal."

There is absolutely nothing realistic here. The dude would be in a mental hospital after that trauma.

you're pretty stupid my man

>None of the characters had british accents which ruined the film for me
I hope you're joking, mate.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester-by-the-Sea,_Massachusetts

I am stupid for trying to actually start a discussion on this board. Maybe you could try argumentation instead of blatantly trying to attack my persona.

He sure was depressed the whole movie. We got that. No we really did. He was sad the entire movie. And that was it. Honestly, I wonder how animated movies can cause more emotions in people than this.

I didn't buy the teenage love triangle in this movie, but I agree with this. Gretchen Moll was underrated

She didn't have a ton of screen time, but she was really good. That whole "family reunion" scene with Matthew Broderick was so awkward it was physically uncomfortable to watch

I think you may have to be in the target demography for it to feel realistic. For me the writing felt completely unrealistic and I just couldn't believe that he burned his family down like that. After that scene I just mentally logged off.

To my knowledge I simply don't know a person that retarded and still be capable of emotions or social functions who should be also considered a "good man".

For me the drama would have been more effective if he had simply failed as a father economically and socially and got divorced with no access to his children. That would have been realistic and tragic enough.