Is this kino?

is this kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3WpGhk8ifK4
youtube.com/watch?v=o9r7fbaUuMw
youtube.com/watch?v=UEuOpxOrA_0
youtube.com/watch?v=RdTrPDQ08O8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes and Michael Nyman's OST is great too.

Yea one of my favorite films. the neo noir setting is extremely compelling and the story -- trying to overcome ones genetic limitations --- is age-old.

It is cinekino

redditkino

t. reddit

I watched it a long time ago and hated it, but knowing how my taste has evolved I'd probably love it now.

>Biology teacher shows class this movie in senior year of high school

That teacher was a true patrician

shit, i watched this in my biology class too. I've forgotten almost the whole thing though

>Watch this in my biology class
>Watch it and study it in my English class as well
Was this SchoolKino?

It was fucking stupid
So he ruins some billion dollar mission because it's "hurr my right as a cripple to go to space" ?

What are you even talking about? Nothing went wrong with the mission and Jude Law's character never wanted to go to space.

Morale of the movie:
It's okay to cheat and lie as long as you feel entitled to something

He was just as able as anybody else, both physically and mentally.

More like it's okay to cheat and lie in a system that refuses to acknowledge your actual abilities. He wasn't just entitled, but he also had the necessary abilities and determination.

>mfw that swimming scene

>More like it's okay to cheat and lie in a system that refuses to acknowledge your actual abilities.
>it's okay to cheat and lie in a system that you feel does you a meanie

You think a woman can understand this film?

Well yes, all women feel like they're special, and the world owes them.
Essential womynkino

Yes

They would struggle with the swimming scene.

The majority of dystopian sci-fi suffers from a lack of subtlety. In their attenpt to sway the audience, they push their societies so far that they become almost vaudevillian caricatures (1984, Hand Maiden's Tale, Fahrenheit 451). This was one of the few dystopian films that kept it's core concepts narrow enough in scope that it could be plausible.

Would you really have preferred a movie where he community organized and started a mass movement or revolution?

>shits on 1984
>retarded anti-eugenics propaganda is good

Thanks, just downloaded this, now I have an afternoon of sci-fi bewteen Gattaca and The Fifth Element. Cheers mates.

> Anti-eugenics propoganda

So, fid you miss the basic premise of a divide between those who could obtain optimized DNA offspring and those left with naturally selected DNA.

The dystopian element wa not that we selected the best traits, but that we simply assumed anyone without the procedure was inferior without analyzing them in depth.

>it's okay to cheat and lie in a system that you feel does you a meanie
Now you're just lying about the movie to insist on your retarded point. The system isn't "felt" to be discriminatory, it literally is. That's the setting the movie establishes. It's not down to how the characters feel about, it *is* a discriminatory system that doesn't judge people by their accomplishments and merits but by their statistical genetic potential.

>if GATTACA were remade today, there'd be a post-credit scene where some goofball scientist looks up from his microscope and yells "I FOUND IT. I FOUND THE GENE FOR THE HUMAN SPIRIT."

Only the MC wasn't strapped on money or anything, he parents simply chose to give birth to a sickly baby cause muh child of love. Children without genetic retardation can't be born of love, I suppose
>The system isn't "felt" to be discriminatory, it literally is.
t. Bernie supporter
Also, it's a FUCKING SPACE PROGRAM, with billions of dollars spent on every mission. Demanding the best of the best is not discrimination in this case, it's common sense.

i've never heard of this film until a couple of days ago what's it about

>t. Bernie supporter
Have a point or fuck off, you retard.

>Demanding the best of the best is not discrimination in this case, it's common sense.
Yeah, and he wasn't lacking in ability or determination. He was literally among the best by all measures except for his genetic profile.

>There's no way of knowing if he will or will not be the next Gauss
>Let's give him a fair shot and invest millions in him

Saw it in drama class

Pissing while some creepy doc comments on your junk.

>In the future kids are born in labs after their genes have been tangled with to make perfect people
>Ethan Hawke is conceived and born the natural old fashioned way so he belongs to the lowest tier of society
>Jude Law is one of those perfect people but he sells his identity to Ethan Hawke, so that Ethan Hawke can be a part of the high society and fulfill his dream of becoming an astronaut
Or something like that.

> Children without genetic retardation can't be born of love, I suppose.

Yes, user. That was exactly the message that Niccol was going for when he wrote it. 'DNA technology is bad' was a much better takeaway than commentary on preconceived ideas.

In a similar vein, Deus Ex:Human Revolutions core dystopian element waan't actually about a growing divide between augmented and non-augmented people, but really about how knife arms are super dangerous.

I watched this in university in some subject called Scientific Thinking or something like that, it was mandatory for Engineering. We only watched half of it though and they didn't ask us about it on a test or make us write an essay or anything.

>Yeah, and he wasn't lacking in ability or determination.
Except he was. He nearly died on a treadmill test that was breezed by every other participant. And again, it's a space program, senpai, even if his heart has 0.1% chance of failing, he's unfit, period.
>videogames
Stop

>went to a Christian highschool
>saw Gattaca multiple times in Bible class because of its pro life message
>saw Gattaca multiple times in science class because 'science is cool'
I think schools are legally obligated to show this movie to kids.

This THIS

youtube.com/watch?v=3WpGhk8ifK4

Have a listen lads. If I'm feeling overly stressed or agitated I just chuck this on and 10 minutes later I'm fine. Truly the most calming music.

r u me

We saw it in english class for some reason. Also saw Mystic River, GOAT teacher.

I'm a fucking swede (inb4 memes) and they showed it here in biology class as well. It must be some universal educational movie for high school kids in 1st world countries.

>He nearly died on a treadmill test that was breezed by every other participant.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Maybe you're right after all.

>teacher showed us this in high school during the last weeks before holidays
>nobody paid attention, assuming the movie is shit because the teacher was universially hated for doing stuff like sneaking off to cry because people made fun of her
>revisit it years later
>it's pure Kino
I am so sorry Frau Lente Lorenz that you were treated like that, you're an alright teacher and didn't deserve it.

At least I know I was one of the only ones that treated her well if she ever decides to commit suicide.

this is playing in the cinema in brisbane on the 17th if any aus/fags are reading :)

Showed it to us in Norway as well

>the teacher was universially hated for doing stuff like sneaking off to cry because people made fun of he
>Frau Lente Lorenz

Fucking germans

I thought Germans respected their teachers

It's playing I think as a double feature with The Fly on the same date in Adelaide, but the advertising was hell fucking confusing so that may not be the case. Probably nationally as well.

The kids were probably critical of the fact that she did not assign them enough mindless busywork.

>Also, it's a FUCKING SPACE PROGRAM, with billions of dollars spent on every mission. Demanding the best of the best is not discrimination in this case, it's common sense.

the only thing which would have stopped the MC from being a Mercury or Apollo astronaut was his corrected myopia(which means he couldn't be fighter pilot) but I don't even think that is even a requirement for astronauts anymore aside from space shuttle pilots(since they had to actually land a spaceplane) and not taking him because he has a chance of having a problem with his heart despite there being no sign of his heart being defective is bullshit

Col. Jim Irwin who test flew the SR-71 and was the 8th man on the moon had worse heart problems than the MC of Gattaca

Completely unrelated to OP, but I thought the film's music always suited reading the manga Kokou no Hito perfectly. In both stories, the protagonist pursues a dream of their own which is considered foolish by others/society, and there's an acknowledged extreme danger in giving up/risking everything for it, including your chance at a "normal" life, or even life itself.

>This is how I did it, Anton
>I never saved anything for the swim back
youtube.com/watch?v=o9r7fbaUuMw

Most teachers were respected, there just were a few acceptable targets (some of them deserved it, some of them didn't) on which all hate got concentrated.

The point is, the director was both 'grrrr evil oppressive society!' and 'le reaching for the stars metaphor' in one movie and it just doesn't work. Space program is like the last place where you can be judgemental about the strict rules of genetic superiority

Would you save for the way back?

Fair cop, sounds like most countries

If your strict rules about genetic superiority actually weed out viable or possibly better participants because the tests did not select for things like determination, then yes, we can question those tests. That was the director/writer's point.

I watched it in Bio freshman year, and Government Senior year, good times.

Admittedly I know nothing about things like NASA selection tests, and I'm not saying it should include cripples, but I assume there are various far more important factors than just physical conditioning, e.g. how well you can handle stressful conditions, long term isolation, cohabitation with the same people for years on end, mental and emotional fortitude, etc. hardly something that can be boiled down to "oh well you can run on the treadmill for 30 minutes, good to go!"

(They) want you to think that eugenics is bad.

>(They)
?

regular blood and urin tests are just unreasonable
at worst they would test you when you get the job, give you a chip/card and be done with it

and my point was given the Col. Irwin example is that the USAF, USN and by extention NASA care 100x more about aptitude, intelligence and skill than they do about a increased risk of developing a dickie ticker

they would rather have the skilled talented aviator with increased heart attack risk defending a carrier group or inflitrating russian airspace in a nuclear armed B1 Lancer than a fuck-knuckle with a perfect heart

OP, stop being contrarian. Let your thread live or die on it's own merits.

Don't forget that Jude Law's character is a paraplegic.

I'm not op. Did the reveal of the propaganda upset you?

? There is obviously not any shortage of people who want to do it
Yea, weeding out people with underlying or potential genetic/health problems is perfectly acceptable

Going to the moon is a short trip, spending the rest of your life in space is a whole different story.

We are to presume in a liberal fashion that the authorities have no purpose in what criteria they've set, that they are just needlessly & arbitrarily discriminatory

The movie certainly shows nothing to suggest that

>Going to the moon is a short trip
>8 days is a short trip

vs 2+ year round trip to mars? You bet your ass

they didn't expect the astronauts to be able to return from their mission and told them to be prepared to be stuck on the moon

>Going to the moon is a short trip, spending the rest of your life in space is a whole different story.

only like 5 years each way and there isn't any reason why past and current fighter pilot criteria aren't suitable( and in the eyes of NASA and the Russians they are perfect)

in all likelyhood the first men on Mars will be ex-fighter jock SLS pilots and engineers plus several non-pilot scientists who are less qualified

The SLS will never fly, and never will the SLS be used to send men to mars

It's not the space shuttle or apollo days anymore, noone will be manually flying stuff

Certainly on missions that could last a decade, long term health problems ARE a concern

>The SLS will never fly,

youtube.com/watch?v=UEuOpxOrA_0

the orion capsule is a fucking disaster
NASA flagrantly wastes tens of billions of dollars on nothing, the whole department has to be purged

same here but junior year. bretty based

why don't you apply for a job there then, i'm sure they could use your insight

Determination is a product of environment which can also be controlled just like genetics. Jerome had a shitty upbringing imposed by a society that only valued him for being a swimmer, kind of like child geniuses taught mental arithmetic tricks or to play chess/violin when they could have plied their intelligence towards trading on the stock market or starting their own business. The moral of the story is that the collective doesn't care what is best for the individual and just because you are disadvantaged by your environment doesn't mean you're not inferior.

Its my favorite movie ever

>noone will be manually flying stuff

docking is still manual and pilots still need to be capable of flying manual if needed

say it BACKUP say it REDUNDANCY

why do you think they still teach submariners ye olde Dick O'Kane pen and paper ww2 firing solutions when TMA and terminal guidance exist? if NATO nuclear submariners weren't trained for every eventuality like that then HMS Conquerer wouldn't have been able to sink the Belgrano because to sink her they were forced to use ww2 torpedos

Im in flight school right now for the Navy, and they do random urinalysis almost every single day.

I recently watched the film and it made me wish Jude Law had a bigger presence these days in film.

Young Pope is tv but it's as kino as it gets.

The pianist from that one scene has a youtube channel

he's a legitimately good composer but it's all set to bizarre shitty CGI children's stories

youtube.com/watch?v=RdTrPDQ08O8

Song based on the movie.

My biology teacher showed this to us our freshman year

does he actually have a milli fingers?