/cfb/ - The Calm Before the Rankings Shitstorm Edition

Initial CFP Rankings are due Tuesday. Post your predictions and let the autistic rage flow

Other urls found in this thread:

wbir.com/mobile/article/article/sports/govols247-sunday-night-update-on-butch-jones/487081234
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for I exclusively judge teams by their preseason rankings

>im crying because of the current rankings that wont matter next week because >muh past rankings dont matter

get over it you fucking retards

rankings shitstorm? No need. We had perfect ones before the season started. Florida State and Michigan are currently in consideration for the playoffs

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame

Is my prediction. I think they SHOULD go with Georgia over Bama. Georgia has way better quality wins and Bama struggled with unranked Texas A&M, while Georgia hasn't struggled at all.

cap this

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Georgia
4) Wisconsin

Not necessarily what I think it should be but this is definitely going to be the committee's ranking.

georgia
bama
nd
clemson

Why the fuck would they put OSU over Georgia

>tfw Wisconsins best win is against northwestern

>Barkley has 172 total yards and 2 TDs
>people act like this is a poor performance

Give me one reason why he isn't still the front-runner for the Heisman

to generate controversy and discussion. it always sorts itself out in the end but they have a god damn tv show dedicated to this shit.

>mfw we have been Bama's best win all season and there is a solid chance we won't even become bowl eligible

Most of those yards were on a punt return with broken coverage than any half decent returner would have broken for a td and the rest of the yards were on less than 3 yds per carry on an overrated run defense

#
you are actually fucking retarded. this post confirms it. even if your argument held water (it doesn't) iowa states win over TCU proves they are a good team the Oklahoma win notwithstanding.

Your argument is like trying to predict comet trajectories and eclipses using a flat earth model. its nonsensical no matter how sophisticated you try to make it appear

Clemson's early win over the current hottest team in the nation (Boston College) will propel them into the initial rankings at the 4 spot causing immense frustration.

>replying to someone in an old thread then calling them retarded

ironic

Daily reminder that Penn State choked away two different 18 point leads

Daily reminder that Saquon "give him the Heisman" Barkley ended the game with 44 rushing yards, and wasn't even his team's top rusher

Daily reminder that Penn State will be missing the playoffs again this season.

wait, do you faggots SERIOUSLY THINK unranked losses are erased simply because the team that won the upset rose in the rankings?

do you faggots seriously give YOURSELVES credit for your OWN LOSSES?

do you faggots seriously believe that your loss => rise in opponents ranking => softening of the upset => bolstering of your SoS WITHOUT having the team that beat you outrank you?

do you faggots SERIOUSLY BELIEVE that purposely losing would increase your standings so long as the team that beat you keeps rising?

do you faggots SERIOUSLY BELIEVE that Oklahoma > Ohio State because Ohio State lost to a team now ranked #8, but that #8 team should be higher because they lost to a team that is now #14 only because they beat the current #8 team?

are you faggots SERIOUSLY ARGUING that your own record is strengthened because your losses are "retroactively ranked" and your victories are "retroactively cheapened", thereby creating a paradox bubble where your losses STRENGTHEN you but your wins WEAKEN your opponents?

>All these Ohio State fans are shit-talking after beating an overrated Pedo State and getting daddy dicked by a no-defense Choklehoma team because they don't realize they about to suffer back to back losses to Iowa and Michigan State.

Iowa State has two top 10 wins now, ergo they are ranked 14th.

Your premises are continuously flawed.

Oklahoma beat Ohio State by 2 scores and dominated them physically and in all facets of the game.
Oklahoma>Ohio State rankings notwithstanding

mfw i realize Sup Forums is just a bunch of cucks who get so angry over OSU being better than their team but love to watch themselves get fucked by OSU week after week

Bucky reporting in.
Fuck the schedule, we the best (...music...)
Seriously though, Ohio State or penis rape (Penn State for you bitchass alum) gonna get wrecked in the big 10 title game.

>lose to 2-2 unranked Iowa State
>drop 9 points
>Iowa State ranked #25 two weeks later
>Iowa State beats #4 TCU
>Iowa State now ranked #14
>therefore Oklahoma didn't lose to 2-2 unranked Iowa State, they played 6-2 #14 Iowa State on October 7th, 2017
there isn't a fanbase that practices mental gymnastics harder than Oklahoma Sooner supporters

they let Iowa State beat them so that Iowa State could become a quality loss and less of an upset

Haven't you been arguing about this on a Chilean knitting forum for about four hours now

big if true

/cfb/ consistently has some of the dumbest posters on this board. the last thread was just really disappointing. some of you are staggeringly stupid.

>having up to date knowledge is mental gymnastics
the mental gymnastics in this post is amazing

>tfw the school mascot walking around campus tries to get you to dance with him

fucking hated this shit. leave me alone.

but Iowa State has the head to head over Oklahoma

NA > #3 is a larger loss than #5 > #2

#14 > #8 is a larger loss than #8 > #3

no matter which way you try to spin it, Ohio State > Iowa State > Oklahoma

arguing about you eating the shit OSU served you or pretending i havent been eating shit on repeat?

theres a difference

>2 championships in 50 years
there are quite a few teams out there that Ohio State is not better than

>Tfw both Iowa and Iowa state win out starting one of the best chaos scenarios

>p-past rankings d-don't matter
>pulls up the past 50 years

wew lad

>mfw OKST wins Bedlam and makes 8 day's worth of shitposting completely meaningless

You don't get points for losing. I know OSU has the best loss and this would work out well for you but you don't get rewarded for losing games.

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Ohio State
4. Clemson
5. Notre Dame
6. Wisconsin

>Wisconsin's best win is FAU

again supposing you would be fine with Alabama calling its win against FSU a top 3 win

i mean why even play the games man Alabama was #1 in the preseason, give them the natty right?

ignorant fuck

Ohio State and Oklahoma have similar resumes.
Iowa State does not.
Oklahoma beat Ohio State
Oklahoma>Ohio State

Ohio State has never played me. Congrats on eating shit for four hours though.

especially not when that loss is to an unranked team

You do get points for winning though, and Oklahoma stomped on Ohio State in Columbus.

>implying i said anything about OSU playing you

m e n t a l o l y m p i c s

in a vacuum yes however in this case it doesn't work because Oklahoma was the one that handed Ohio state its loss so there is an (enormous) head to head factor

>mfw scenario shit-posting almost always gets blown up at some point because Sup Forums is always wrong
>We still have to play Bedlam, TCU, WVU, and a Big 12 championship just to make this argument worthwhile
wew

>the shit OSU served you
I'm not sure when I even interacted with this college to be quite honest.

agreed, Ohio State does look pretty bad losing to a team that lost to an unranked, 2 loss team

luckily Ohio State just beat the Heisman forerunner and #2 team in the nation, with their only loss to a top 5 team. Too bad about Oklahoma losing to literal who's, like you said, you don't get points for losing, especially when said points are being recycled from the team that beat you

>oklahoma supporter wants to refer to their wins as support

you realize everyone notices OUs weakness as their wins outside of that one OSU game, right?

all you said was were jealous of Ohio state fucking us every week, all i pointed out was the declaration (of Ohio state fucking us every week) was demonstrably false

did >y'all get worse or did OSU get better

yep, that's a fine argument, this other kid is just retarded though

not an ou supporter

you're interacting with them right now you autist fuck

you either have a terrible understanding of the >us meme or you're retarded enough to not realize you conversing and crying over them is a form of interacting

you need to post student ID or diploma or defending a school you didn't go to for this long over something this petty is really pathetic

We definitely got worse. Our defense was FLYING against Ohio State. Now their limpwristed, don't rally to the football as quickly, and can't seem to get the penetration they got on Ohio State, and have completely failed to cover receivers consistently. Our offense is still top notch but Mayfield looks like he loses his focus sometimes.

he didn't go to osu dude. he's taking vocational classes at akron and as you can see is great fun at parties.

B1G Championship will feel so much better knowing I get to watch the #2 Buckeyes take on the #3 Oklahoma State Cowboys in the 2018 Sugar Bowl

truly a fantastic game between two conference champions, go OSU!

I have yet to see either of those two faggots respond meaningfully to the 3-4 posters who have made this point.

No wait, he has a point.
Just give Bama the natty right now.

you don't have to be so bitter anons, Ohio State is a world-renowned university and has one of the largest alumni networks in the nation

look on the bright side, you can use all the money you saved from attending South Norman Community College and transfer into a real school!

>world renowned
that's it, I'm going to bed

The "academics are hard" argument that ND always tries to pull whenever they suck is a pretty shitty excuse desu. Here's a list of schools and their USNR (top 100 minimum) and most recent AP Poll rankings

SCHOOL USNR Rank Week 10 AP Poll Rank
Stanford 5 18
Notre Dame 18 5
Southern Cal 21 16
Miami 46 9
Wisconsin 46 4
Penn St 52 7
Ohio St 54 3
Georgia 54 2
Washington 56 12
Clemson 67 6
VA Tech 69 13
Texas Christian 78 10
Michigan St 81 24
North Carolina St 81 20
Oklahoma 97 8

All of the schools in the top 100 are pretty much academic peers with the top 50 being marginally better because of the rigorousness of their acceptance standards.15 of the ranked teams this week are in the USNR top 100.

Is Iowa State gonna win the Big 12?

>1 SEC team
why are the rubes so stupid down there?

Nice playoff hopes you got there, It be a shame if someone killed them.

my guys are bama though.

>tfw wisconsin grad
>tfw torn between pride in my school's football program and disgust over what the academics are turning into

to be fair, there is a world of difference between a top 50 school like wisconsin or notre dame, and a not top 50 school like a university in the state of ohio.

>Wisconsin
>anything other than a slightly above average public flagship
kek, no

it's a party school for a reason

Long suffering Georgiafag here... I guess suffering isn't the right word compared to others, we could always be counted on to win 9 or 10 games but lose the most important ones. At least we could also make fun of others for "Clemsoning" until they got gud, then we were pretty much the standard for that so I haven't really been on Sup Forums much the last few years.

My question for the board is this: When did you first start to think maybe this isn't the Richt UGA choking dawgs of old this season?

I'm sure there were still plenty of people
>Notre Dame
>Miss State
>Tennessee
'ing earlier in the season, but perusing the last couple threads it seems we have finally gained some modicum of respect and belief.

When, if ever, did this happen for you... why? Do you think it will last?

Because unfortunately, I'm one of the ones who still can't quite buy into it completely. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see us lose to Carolina or Tech again this year, just because I've been a Georgia fan all my life (not that we lose to Tech often, but we've usually lost to Florida and/or Tennessee by now). If we had a competent killer of a coach we would have won championships in 2002, maybe 2005 and definitely 2007. Is Kirby finally /ourguy/?

1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. The Ohio State University
4. Notre Dame
Stay fucking mad Soonerfags.

UGA is beating teams they are supposed to by margins they are supposed to. In addition the MIss State and ND games look better and better

The real problem with Oklahoma is that they have the best win through the first half of the season, but they also have a simply embarrassing resume outside of it. You simply have to blow out teams like Baylor and Kansas State if you want to cement yourself as s contender
Teams like Ohio St, UGA, and Bama all handle unranked teams like contenders do, but Oklahoma needs to step it up

>FSU
what happened bros? was Francois that good for >us? is Jimbo a meme?

1. Georgia
2. Notre Dame
3. Ohio State
4. Miami

sources have told GoVols247 that Butch Jones's fate has been decided, with only the timing and the announcement of his firing to be settled.

Jones will coach Tennessee (3-5, 0-5 SEC) this week against Southern Miss (5-3, 3-2 Conference USA), those sources said, but the fifth-year head coach's future beyond Saturday is unknown.

wbir.com/mobile/article/article/sports/govols247-sunday-night-update-on-butch-jones/487081234

JUST

Baker Mayfield

Ole Miss and Florida are looking for new head coaches

Butch Jones, Kevin Sumlin and Bret Bielema could be gone

Perhaps that is why Florida made the first move, to jump ahead of everyone

Kirby Smart appears to be building a powerhouse in Georgia, and Florida cannot afford to slip further behind the Bulldogs -- not only in the win-loss column but on the recruiting trail. Then there is Tennessee, the team Florida absolutely has to beat for the top coaching hire in the conference.

>stay mad team that destroyed us and will get into the playoffs over you if they win out

>all said while posting le troll face in an obvious attempt to hide their own anger

He doesn't lose focus. He's fighting through injury.

How Jim McElwain went from relatively safe to out at Florida in basically 3 weeks:

Oct 7: Entering the day, McElwain’s record as Florida’s head coach is 22-9, with two SEC East titles. Florida loses in the Swamp to LSU, 17-16, in what has become a classical fashion for the program: The defense plays well enough to get the job done, but the offense can’t do much of anything.

(cont..)

Oct 9
This isn’t really a contributing factor to McElwain being fired, but one would argue that trotting out a team in these should endanger anyone’s job security.

(cont..)

Oct. 14
Florida loses to Texas A&M, 19-17, in those uniforms in a game that was death by field goals. Florida’s defense stands tall and doesn’t let the Aggies score a TD on multiple trips to the red zone, but the offense can’t add to its lead.

(cont)

Oct. 26
The credit card scandal from earlier in the season — oh right, that — cinches itself up with most of the players entering pretrial diversion. The players have further hearings to go through and code of conduct hoops to jump through with the university as well.

Oct 28
Hours before Florida is set to take on Georgia, it’s reported that the school and McElwain’s agent are getting together to negotiate McElwain’s $12.9 million buyout down.

Florida looks for wiggle room out of the buyout

Oh, and by the way, Florida gets absolutely crushed in the game. The Gators lose one of the more embarrassing results in school history, 42-7, at the hands of rival Georgia.

McElwain is mum on his future.
McElwain asked if he’d be surprised if he’s not Florida’s coach tomorrow: “Nothing surprises me.”
McElwain asked about job security: “At the end of the day, we were brought here to win. We haven’t done it.”

Oct 29
By early afternoon, multiple outlets are reporting that a parting of the ways between McElwain and Florida is imminent.

And that evening, official word comes down with a statement from Florida:

Jim McElwain and the University Athletic Association have mutually agreed to part ways, Athletic Director Scott Stricklin announced Sunday.
Randy Shannon will serve as interim coach throughout the remainder of the season.
"We want to thank Coach McElwain for his efforts in leading the Gator football program," said Stricklin. "We are confident Coach Shannon will provide the proper guidance to the players and rest of staff during this time and we will begin a national search for the next head coach."
The two parties are currently negotiating terms of separation.

unfriendly reminder Oklahoma is a top 4 team and Based Mayfield will win the Piesman and there is nothing you can do about it

OSU student here, relieved the next game is Iowa and not ISU. I hope they meme their way to a Big 12 title.

why are they fucking pussyfooting so much with this

I'm pretty sure his own players don't even want to play for him at this point, put him out of his misery

The SEC is now unironically the 3rd best conference.

>All the schools in the top 100 are pretty much academic peers

Not really. Ivy League, Stanford, MIT, Caltech >> The rest of the top 20 >>> everyone else

Southerner here. The public unis in the south always suck, the smart kids 9 times out of ten go to private ones like Vandy, Lipscomb, Belmont, Samford etc.

all undefeated teams should automatically be ranked above teams with at least one loss

fite me

>Tennessee has already thrown a $10 million per year offer at Jon gruden
>there is no way they could have even interviewed him already
>he hasn't coached a football game in 10 years
>he has repeatedly said he doesn't like NCAA rules about practice or recruiting
>Tennessee also thinks they can get gary Patterson and are even willing to get in bed with Bobby petrino

Jesus Christ what a shit show

What if they're Alabama and haven't played anyone?

Nothing wrong with throwing money early and seeing if it works.

you now remember Cayenne

Schools already have incentive to schedule as weak a season as possible. Let's not turn it up to 11.

No brah, of the big states in the Power 5, only Tennessee (which is where 4 of the 5 schools you listed are), Illinois, Ohio, Missouri, Minnesota, New Jersey, Colorado, Arizona and Texas are seriously underperforming with their flagship state universities:

Top 25 Power 5 schools in the US News Rankings, 2018 Best National Universities

South, private schools
#2 Duke (private, tuition: $53,744)
#4 Vanderbilt (private, tuition: $47,664)
#10 Wake Forest (private, tuition: $51,400)
#16 Miami (private, tuition: $48,484)

South, public schools
#9 UVA (VA is #12/12 in the US by population/GDP, VT ranks #32)
#12 UNC (NC is #9/10 in the US by population/GDP, NC State ranks #38)
#14 Georgia Tech (#1 engineering school in South, #4 in US behind MIT/Stanford/Berkeley)
#15 Florida (FL is #3/4 in the US by population/GDP, FSU ranks #36)
#21 Georgia (GA is #8/9 in the US by population/GDP, GT ranks #14)
>only other Southern states in Top 20 population/GDP:
>#45 Tennessee (TN is #16/18 in the US by population/GDP)
>#51 Missouri (MO is #18/22 in the US by population/GDP)

Midwest, private schools
#3 Northwestern (private, tuition: $52,678)
#5 Notre Dame (private, tuition: $51,505)

Midwest, public schools
#11 Michigan (MI is #10/13 in the US by population/GDP, MSU ranks #37)
#17 Wisconsin (WI is #20/20 in the US by population/GDP)
#18 Penn State (PA is #6/6 in the US by population/GDP, Pitt ranks #28)
#19 Illinois (IL is #5/5 in the US by population/GDP)
#20 Ohio State (OH is #7/7 in the US by population/GDP)
#22 Purdue (#8 best engineering program in US, IN is #16/17 in pop/GDP, Indiana ranks #39)
>other Midwestern states in Top 20 population/GDP:
>#31 Minnesota (MN is #17/22 in the US by population/GDP)

[Cont.]

West, private schools
#1 Stanford (private, tuition: $49,617)
#8 USC (private, tuition: $54,259)

West, public schools
#6 Cal (CA is #1/1 in the US by population/GDP)
#7 UCLA (CA #1/1 in the US by population/GDP)
#24 Washington (WA is #13/14 in the US by population/GDP), WSU ranks #57)
>only other Western states in Top 20 population/GDP:
>#40 Colorado (CO is #19/21 in the US by population/GDP)
>#48 Arizona State/#52 Arizona (AZ is #14/21 in the US by population/GDP)

Northeast, private schools
#13 Boston College (private, tuition: $46,755)
#25 Syracuse (private, tuition: $46,755)

Northeast, public schools
>none in Top 25 that are in Power 5
>#26 Maryland (MD is #15/19 in the US by population/GDP
>#29 Rutgers (NJ is #8/11 in the US by population/GDP)

Texas, public schools (TX is #2/2 in the US by population/GDP)
#23 Texas
>#30 Texas A&M
>#64 Texas Tech

Texas, private schools
>none in Top 25 that are in Power 5 other than:
>#33 Baylor
>#34 TCU

*wasn't sure where to put Mizzou/Missouri, probably should have put it in Midwest, but Mason-Dixon divided the state and it is the SEC now so dunno