Passenger in self-driving car dies while watching Harry Potter

finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-driver-killed-crash-while-012228445.html

>The first person to die in a U.S. crash involving a car in self-driving mode was the tech-savvy 40-year-old owner of a Tesla Model S who nicknamed his car "Tessy" and praised its sophisticated "Autopilot" system.

>Joshua D. Brown, of Canton, Ohio, died in the May 7 crash in Williston, Florida, when his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer rig from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes, according to government records and a Tesla statement issued Thursday.

>Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the tractor-trailer and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

>"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi said in an in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

Americans are this lazy.

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/3/15/11239008/sxsw-2016-google-self-driving-car-program-goals-austin
youtube.com/watch?v=1h-CkMLqE-E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Passenger in self-driving car dies while watching Harry Potter

You still have to watch the fucking road.

>It was still playing when he died
Fucking kek.

this

>40 year old watching Harry Potter

he deserved to die

HOWEVER

well, at least it's not as bad as that canadian? european? that thought that cruise control meant that the vehicle would drive itself so they got up and went to the back of their truck? mobile home? to make coffee.

I wonder if the last thing he heard was HOWEVER

Jesus what a fucking cuck. I don't drive anything that isn't carbureted. Fucking cuck microsoft doesn't know carbureted is a word and keeps underlining it. Fuck is this country coming to?

New technology isn't perfect.

More news at 11.

I would make a joke with some harry potter spell but I havent bothered to watch those movies.

Operational hazards.
This guy should have been paying attention to the road, particularly around vehicles. If it's an empty road that's different.

>who nicknamed his car "Tessy"

why is this relevent to the news story?

This. What a fucking retard completely relying on new auto-pilot technology. You're not even supposed to let your guard down in a plane with the auto-pilot activated.

I knew it was a britcuck pushing the HOWEVER meme

He was a navy seal and founded his own company. I wouldn't be quick to believe the Harry Potter claim

Jealous you've never had a nickname, eh?

The article says that he could only hear the movie, his Tesla model couldn't play videos.

>tech-savvy
Anybody tech savvy should appreciate how easily a computer system can fail due to unforeseen circumstances

>one less liberal.
Natural selection at its best. I am just glad no one else got hurt due to it's stupidity.

kek you mean Ron Burgundy from the movie: Anchorman 2?

To make him sound like more of a faggot and harm Tesla's sales more.

Good, this tech is just one more way for the government to know literally everything and control everything we do

Autonomous cars will become driven by central computers once there re enough on the road, maybe the incentive will be they can drive faster in a special lane just for them, but it's going to be centralized at some point

Or it was broken after the crash and he could only hear it.

>cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer rig from a brightly lit sky

I don't think they should be calling any driving software "autonomous" if it only relies on visible light.

Don't the google cars have radar and shit?

$5 says the car is sentient. Fuck.

>Tesla Motors Inc. said it is not possible to watch videos on the Model S touch screen.

>google and Tesla are the same company and use the same sensors in their cars

Oh shit, did the Trump curse just strike again?

Are you browsing on internet explorer? What the fuck?

I have no idea but my guess is visible light is probably less susceptible to noisy data

>ITT: Basement NEETs who can't afford a Tesla try to make fun of someone successful who could.

Yep I only buy Ford Broncos as my vehicles, fuck emissions and liberals, although my latest Bronco is EFI

its not a curse, its meme magic.

how is the ultimate cuck dying from his own hubris not meme magic?

Google cars never crashed, it had a flawless history and this include fucked up roads in other countries.

>dead
>successful

Pretty sure he's talking about a Darwin Awards case

yes but it was a Tesla car that failed here.

I'm still breathing

kek

Welp, that just pushed back self-driving cars in the US for another 10 years at least. Good job, Elon Musk, you fucking faggot.

I should buy TSLA puts tomorrow.

To be fair, tesla's "autopilot" is more like glorified cruise control than anything else. Only allows you to stay in one lane matching the speed of the car in front of you. Lane changes only one lane if and only if turn signal is engaged. It's not meant for morons to watch movies at the wheel, but rather to navigate slow-moving or light traffic. Dumbass had it coming.

That being said, marketing the tech as "autopilot" is definitely not the best idea, and is probably going to end up in a pretty sizeable settlement.

Silly user, you can't be a successful businessman when you're a charred corpse.

No it didn't, you're an idiot.

However there will be a whole new set of ridiculous safety standards set.

At least I'm not dead.

I'm making fun of him because he's dead and I'm alive.

Wheezing doesn't count as breathing you 300 pound basement dweller.

>'Driving' Tesla on autopilot
>Jacking off to Emma Watson
>"Isn't life great?"
poor sod

>trusting a computer to control a two-ton death box going 60 mph

I don't trust driverless cars and likely never will.

theverge.com/2016/3/15/11239008/sxsw-2016-google-self-driving-car-program-goals-austin

It's crashed many times.

I've had no fewer than half a dozen nicknames.

How's that virginity treating you?

This. I hope he didn't procreate.

projection

I guess in this case it wasn't noisy enough, huh?

Anybody tech savvy should appreciate how easily a computer system can fail due to foreseen circumstances.

I will trust a machine driving before I trust another Human driving. Fucking inefficient pieces of shit with no introspection or common decency.

Yes Tesla, well done, well done
HOWEVER

at least i'm not fucking a car named "tessy"

good post

additional tablet connected to the car's stereo?

BAN SELF DRIVING CARS

there are only dozens of ways to watch movies in your car dipshit

BAN ASSAULT CARS
ONLY THE ARMY SHOULD HAVE DRONES
THINK OF THE CHILDREN

>40-year-old owner of a Tesla Model S who nicknamed his car "Tessy"

Is this the same guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=1h-CkMLqE-E

The bad part is that this could lead to a ban on self driving cars. He should have known not to put full trust in technology this new.
These things need to be on the road for the next 10 years without much incident before I trust them.

>itt musk worshippers get butthurt about the piss tesla receives

>this is actually what muggles believe

>Florida

>tech-savvy
> needlessly puts life in hands of new technology where one error can lead to any number of fatal conclusions

Oh journalism

>implying that a white richfag with a self drive car named "tessy" is getting more action than literally anyone on this planet
>died watching mother fucking Harry Potter

Dude was bluer than the fucking ocean down there man, and death was a sweet release

>nicknames it 'tessy'
>is a tech horny faggot
>praises the sophistication of the car
>is a manchild watching harry potter
>killed by the thing he praised and nicknamed because of faulty design

The irony has many layers here.

>I will trust a machine driving before I trust another Human driving.
good thing most of us can drive ourselves.

>banning this
>bad

My wife's making me dinner so I can't really comment.

>feelings hurt in 3... 2...

>hey don't those google cars have better tech?
>LOL RETARD DO U THINK THEYRE THE SAME
nice logical fallacy asshat

>When hipsters get BTFO by technology

>40 years old
>no wife, no kids
>just a shitty overpriced car
>dies while watching a movie based on a children's book (which came out while he was still an adult)

Sad. Should have gotten married instead.

Could someone explain to me how this wasn't the trailers fault? The Tesla had the right of way, assuming it wasn't changing lanes or anything.

I could buy one new, cash upfront. Have no desire to own one.

Might get a Chevy Volt one day. I can plug in for free at work. I'd buy gas about twice a year.

the car thought the truck was sky.

A human would have stopped immediately.

"get in user-kun lets go for a drive..."

Success doesn't come with you into the grave user.

He died watching a cheesy kids movie in a car that he probably thought was a better substitute for a wife than a body pillow.

I'm Germany? Or you mean people? Because I'm constantly seeing retards driving around me. We could stand to benefit from a stoplight automation where all vehicles at a light will automatically lift off the brake and start acceleration at exactly the same time instead of the garbage we have now where you have to wait for everyone in front of you to wait for everyone in front of them to start accelerating and get far enough away before they start and then before you start. I'm tired of waiting for literal minutes at a green light because of this shit.

I'm curious, could you explain to me how a Volt appeals to you but a Tesla doesn't...?

That was a hoax. An it was still an american, driving a winnebago.

>sheered off the top of the car
>kept driving until it hit a telephone pole

Even when you give out the car keeps going!

amen

> Automobilus Collisiono!

AHM A WOT?

>mfw I built this car in garrysmod
1000 props

>Chevy
>vs some hipster faggot's startup

It's like you don't even appreciate automobiles senpai

Yeah reality check: that's not gunna happen.

How do we know that he wasn't married though? I mean a lot of tech guys have hot trophy wives and shit.

can you point to what fallacy I made? the mods keep a sticky if you need help