The first person to die in a U.S...

>The first person to die in a U.S. crash involving a car in self-driving mode was the tech-savvy 40-year-old owner of a Tesla Model S who nicknamed his car "Tessy" and praised its sophisticated "Autopilot" system.

>Joshua D. Brown, of Canton, Ohio, died in the May 7 crash in Williston, Florida, when his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer rig from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes, according to government records and a Tesla statement issued Thursday.

>Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the tractor-trailer and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "watching Harry Potter on the TV screen" and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

>"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi said in an in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

Hopefully it was Goblet of Fire.

Other urls found in this thread:

finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-driver-killed-crash-while-012228445.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo
youtube.com/watch?v=tq_OTcncPH0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-driver-killed-crash-while-012228445.html

MICK'D

>speeding down the highway while watching a movie

Darwin in effect

I'd never trust autopilot that much

"I guess that's one Harry Potter trailer he'll never forget", said Baressi as he chuckled to himself. "Fucking faggot"

>tech savvy
This just means hipster who owned an iPhone. No sane person who knows anything about technology would offer to beta test a fucking car that drives itself

>>speeding down the highway while watching a movie
I can't even imagine how far up his own ass he was to be doing that. You know he was one of those fags who's all smug about being an early adopter of tech.

I would rather hope he died watching the third one, as that is the best.

>truck driver pulls out infront of car
>king obongo bans assault electric cars
Laughingoiljews.jpg

/o/ here.

>Trusting a completely self driving car
>Ever

Self driving cars are literally the same thing as flying cars - a fairy tale. If you want a car to drive itself while you do nothing just order a cab ride. Driving is a task with far too many human variables that it will be decades before a foolproof self drive system is made (even then it's still a big IF). Not to mention what the hell does one do when the computer sensors break down?

>Oh no my car won't drive itself anymore I guess I'm stuck. At least I was able to catch up on my latest Netflix shows rather than learn the simple task of operating a motor vehicle.

Fuck self driving cars and fuck Tesla.

This is not Darwin in effect. That man was 62. If he was going to have children he would have had them long ago, meaning his genes are likely already passed down a new generation.

"Abra Cadaver"

He was 40, the truck driver was 62

He was only 40.

The driver of the truck he crashed into is 62.

>Not to mention what the hell does one do when the computer sensors break down?

Die apparentlly

I imagine for good self driving you would need some kind of external control, like every legal road vehicle being controlled by some computer conducting all traffic. These auto drive systems based purely on reaction like the Tesla thing doesn't seem like it would be any better than a human.

This is why Google is still extensively testing their system

He could have just listened to the audiobook instead and not died. It's better anyway.

>this
>solarshitty merger
>ridiculous corporate turnover
>huge insider selling
>gigafag-tory is fraction of the size it was supposed to be b/c tesla has to use capital raise proceeds for SG&A
>cash burn stronger than ever
>model 3 going to be late and at least $50,000
>model X unmitigated disaster
Its been a good year to be short TSLA.

you just posted this thread on Sup Forums

Too dangerous. A 1000 ton metal body that can be remotely controlled? You are just begging for someone to gain access to it and send everything to hell.

also folks, remember that Tesla doesn't know shit about self-driving cars, they license that tech from 3rd party vendor, I think Mobileye.

You could say the same about regular cars, except in that case you have millions of possible crazed killers instead of pulling from a few dozen government officials.

>e. Driving is a task with far too many human variables that it will be decades before a foolproof self drive system is made
It doesn't need to be foolproof to be better than humans.

the solution to self-driving cars is external control, like some user mentioned

the problem is that even with external control- accidents will happen

imagine the carnage when instead of one self-driving car- the computer fucks up and accidentally a whole bridge full of automated cars and everyone fucking knows that they are going to die but they can't do anything to stop it

fuck it

im walking

lol, Tesla fags deserve it desu

>
1000 tons? Are you retarded?

More like 6 million tons

centralized system fail in every place you can imagine.
This universe do not support this for long.

Any system that is remotely controlled from a far off base of control is susceptible to having it's signal intercepted especially since for such a system to work, you would be required to bounce signals off relays. So it isn't just a few dozen government officials. Do you even know how remote operations Work?

Still less than the total of all conventional drivers anyway.

>allowing autopilot go that fucking fast

Oy vey

This would have never happened if ALL CARS were self-driving. Don't worry, President Hillary will give a free 2-seat Chinese robocar to all qualifying citizens. BTFO Trump racists

>Trusting computers in cars to make critical braking and acceleration choices for you:

youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo

>allowing autopilot go that fucking fast
This. If it was a short trip to the store and back I'd probably just chill out and let the auto pilot handle it.
But driving on the highway or speeding? I'd rather have some control over the situation.

What does a normal car do when the human driver's sensors break down? Or the human driver has a stroke or a heart attack? Or the human driver stops paying attention?

Not going to take the words of actual Luddites who still praise stick shift seriously though.

Make sure you aren't wearing white clothes, Elon Musk's prisonmobiles might mistake you for a fluffy snow flake.

Not the computer's fault to be honest. They forgot to turn on the brake/detection software before smugly standing in front of it.

Sup Forums here
Sadly, this man's death will serve as beta testing for future development. Your metal heaps that encase you and your bad driving, that cause millions of deaths every year, will soon be irrelevant. Programmers will get better and drivers will be phased out. Everyone covers this story, but no one talks about the drunk drivers and Fast and Furious wannabe racers that take so many more lives.
The codes we write will get rid of your "hobby".

External control is literally the worse thing you can do because communications can be interrupted or hacked into. You want a locked down self-contained system with enough redundancy in it's systems and sensors that it can safely detect failures, remove itself from the road, and shut down.

The problem here was that the sensors couldn't/didn't detect the object that was blocking the road. A remote system using the same sensors still wouldn't have detected it.

Self-driving cars will be safe when all cars and most roads have government-mandated position and orientation identifiers in them. A self-driving car going off digitized models of the traffic conditions is a trivial thing to accomplish. A self-driving car using entirely visual information will always have wrinkles to be ironed out. That's why CAPTCHA's are visual images: humans are just better at interpreting visual data than even the most sophisticated algorithm.

>But driving on the highway or speeding? I'd rather have some control over the situation.
Driving on the highway is the ideal situation for autopilot actually. It's mostly driving in a straight line with no cross traffic, basically the same reasons as cruise control.

ITT:

>Sup Forums shits on auto-pilot cars for its FIRST death while they ignore the 115 people that die in car accidents in Brazil everyday

I'd rather pick an auto-pilot than an actual person, tbqfhwyfam.

>115 dead berzillions

nothing of value, etc

>Implying ANYONE cares about third world shitstains

lmao

Isn't Brazil one of the countries where people drive on roads barely wide enough for 1 vehicle on mountain sides? Yea you won't be getting autopilot

No. Brazil doesn't even have roads.

F A T A L I T Y

yeah but % wise that self driving car seems way more dangerous

youtube.com/watch?v=tq_OTcncPH0

Tesla """""""autopilot"""""""" can't detect red lights, needs road markings to be impeccable meaning it can't drive on most residential/secondary roads or on roads in need of some maintenance, had a patchy GPS system and requires you to keep your hand on the wheel at all times.

So.. what's the fucking point?

>Brazil

nearly spit my drink out, thanks for the kek user

It's intended almost exclusively for long stretches of highway use.
That guy is a fucking moron, you're absolutely not supposed to use it in town.

Better than humans is not good enough.

Think for one second about the motor skills of the average driver.

>can't detect red lights, road markings, bad roads, roads in need of maintenance, etc
>implying the average anglo can

Anglos speed too God damn much for no reason. Why are they always in a hurry to prep the bull?

Reminds me of the Dead-Hand system Russia most likely still has in operation. Wish us all luck.

Under appreciated kangaroo post

Yes yes well done Elon, well done Elon. However

>"The car can detect red lights, but can't stop at them yet. I'm expecting that in a future update."

They released that shit to the public? Are they fucking insane?

His smugness is apparent even from that innocent quote

Maybe he was watching the scene in The Chamber of Secrets where Ron drives the flying Ford Anglia

It's not a self-driving car, it's more like super-cruise control. But idiots think because it has a fancy name like "autopilot" that means the car will drive itself all the time.

Ya, but how many fucking people use auto pilot?
Which is worse 1/5 auto pilot users? or 6million out of 10 trillion car users.?

>american
>complaining about people not stopping at red light

This thread is ridiculously cringeworthy.

Perhaps I am just brazilian and all I know for traffic are monkeys riding cars.

But the level of hypocrisy in this thread is out of the charts.

Why is Sup Forums so threatened by auto-pilots?

I'm not sure I'd trust it even on an empty straight road.

I guess they're so keen on getting that technology out there for some reason, they released it with some major shortfalls.

There are a lot of variables that people don't take into account, people who think that computers can do everything. Unless you develope a highly intelligent AI system to account for all sorts of shit that one might not even consider.

Take driving a massive rig for example. Normally you would think it is easy for a computer to take into account the weight of the load and even weather conditions in order to stop safely. But what about when you get into city conditions, when driving a truck you need to look several lights ahead and anticipate traffic conditions because you can't just slam on the breaks. You need to be aware of the conditions of your tires. You need to be super aware of the other cars on the road, because they aren't going to be aware of you. You need to be aware coming out of tunnels because sometimes the sudden wind can swerve your trailer. You have to watch out for deer running across the road. You have to be worried about bridge heights.

>recording yourself intentionally breaking the speed limits

according to OP's article, you die.
sounds great huh?

That's what I mean, how many people will misinterpret that. I mean, how does this guy know that it can see red lights but can't stop? I assume he didn't just test it, and must have read it in some Tesla literature, how many people are going to get to the line "can see red lights" and assume it will drive itself? Again, they must be begging to legal troubles.

t. Asshurt petrofag

Tesla is the only American car maker that deserves to exist at this point faggatron

Go be stupid somewhere else mudshit

>Why is Sup Forums so threatened by auto-pilots?

because they think trucks are sky?
because they can't stop at red lights?
because most proponents of them claim they will one day make driving your own car illegal?

Why have Huehues been such nonsensical little rat-like things, lately, always looking to gnaw at others' feets, looking for a fight no one cares about? Too much negative press between the presidential scandal and the crashing and burning Olympic construction?

I'd rather have a million auto-pilots than a single drunk person on wheels.

Then at least when you die it's your own fault, and not something else's.

And what's wrong with manual?

A million autopilots that literally can't stop at a red light is a lot more dangerous than one drunk guy.

>trusting a computer to get it right
>ever

shit automatic transmissions cant get it right the majority of the time. and you are trusting your life with pajiit to not poo in your code?

you are either brave, or retarded.

i barely trust the standard ecu working with o2 sensors to do its job correctly.

give me a full manual car with a Spartan layout any day.

can anyone make any sense of what the monkey is trying to say?

>Programmers will get better
whatever you say phajeet

Call Ahmed. He always makes your wife talk in tongues.

>deserved it

Friendly reminder that human error behind the wheel kills 95 people a day in America

At least he died being a smug, progressive cunt. It's a little easier to accept if you're doing something you love.

Imagine being Emma Watson in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Rupert Grint, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your red hair and doughy lumpy blubber face. I would totally have sex with you, both my character and the real me." when all she really wants to do is fuck another 21 year old chad in her dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Emma Watson and not only stand around in the rubble while Rupert flaunts his freckly visage in front of you, the bright sunlight barely concealing his bright red hair, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while he perfected that speech scene. Not only having to tolerate his corpulant fucking visage but his haughty attitude as everyone on set tells him he's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, RUPERT ACTS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch his doughy fucking butter face contort into types of grimaces you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of chads and BBCs and later alleged rape victims for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in England. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on his bulbous forehead as he sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in his "statuesque (for that is what he calls himself)" physique, the physique he worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the director calls for another take, and you know you could fuck every single person in this room before the studio security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Emma Watson. You're not going to tarnish your acting career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

This.

Sup Forums is too busy talking about how auto-pilots are bad because they don't understand it.

This entire thread has no arguements.

That manchild knew the risks.

By the way, Sup Forums, if a car accident ever happens as a result of an auto-pilot malfunction, who is to blame legally and financially for the damage?

The driver, the manufacturers or the jews?

>And what's wrong with manual?
It borders between Luddism and a FLAC-tier self delusion.

autism, not even once

>"ALL CARS WILL BE SELF-DRIVING IN A DECADE! TRUST ME GUYS!"

"Self-driving cars" is basically the new "flying cars"

I think you need to get in a Tesla and drive to a red light.

You'll really prove your "argument" then, ;^)

t. never learned stick

You think too highly of a low IQ feminist.

The difference is that there was never a flying car running around everyday.

You fucker don't know anything.

t. someone who actually works on auto-pilot

manufacturer unless the auto pilot is advertised as flawed and on own risk.

dude is 100% at fault. Autopiolet doesnt mean you can just sit back and relax. Still have to look at your own surroundings.

Fucking moron got what he deserved and i can't see tesla getting in trouble one bit for this.

Self driving car denial posts are my favorite. They'll be mainstream in less than ten years.

Countless lives will be saved without human error
Travel times will be cut with perfectly coordinated traffic
Air will be cleaner with fewer cars on the road
Families will need fewer cars per household once driverless cars
Insurance rates will go down
A portion of auto service shops will close down
Fuel prices will go down
Prices for freight goods will go down
Society will be much better off for it

this

Tell me when self-driving cars are going to dominate the traffic then? I'm curious to know...

at some points it doesn't quite fit.
good work nonetheless

You can remotely control regular cars already.

with the decrease of fuel price i can afford to drive my quad turbo twincharged 450 longblock manual diesel.

TOP LEL

As soon as the state legally defines who is to compensate damages financially.

Obama has given the first steps this year to pass a general regulation for auto-piloting cars.

As soon as congress actually votes for one code, we'll have auto-pilot everywhere.

There are technically already models which can park by themselves and have auto-breaks that will mechanically brake you car with 100 times more reflexes than your average human.

We live in enlightened times. Calling auto-pilot a "science-fiction" is just ridiculous.