Do you think we will stop signing for credit cards in America soon...

Do you think we will stop signing for credit cards in America soon? I got a new debit card today and it has a chip in it now.

welcome to the wonderful new world of slower payment at the cashier.

You don't have to sign for stuff under $50 in many places, e.g. grocery stores.

Sweet fucking Jesus.

Australia has already moved to universal PayPass with no pin for purchases under $100.

What the fuck are you technological retards doing?

whassat

I just use the NFC in my card m8

I'm glad that my debit card doesn't have an RFID chip. That shit is crazy annoying to use at the register.

put a fucking drill to that chip, fuck people who have to wait behind you

>not using cash

do they even have credit cards or debit cards in poland?

I absolutely HATE the chip system.

It's so slow, and I'm always worried that some nigger is going to come up behind me and run off with my card while its sitting in the slot.

I seriously don't see what's wrong with sliding my card and putting it back into my wallet.

those chips are fucking terrible. Takes like 5 minutes for the readers to scan them, it's horrible.

It's also possible to ping them from a distance. Some Harvard kids figured out how, so you need to buy a wallet that blocks RFID, which either looks horrible, or is horribly expensive.

I'll just do without, thanks.

You Americans are literally retarded. Magstripe was insecure even back in the 70s and you fuckers are still too dumb to implement new standards. The rest of the world laughs at you.

Poland's technologically far more advanced than the US when it comes to card payments, friend.

you have only just got a chip and pin card? hello there 2001!!!!!

are you guys really just getting chips now.

>I got a new debit card today and it has a chip in it now.
Welcome to 1999

>yfw you realize the signature is supposed to match the one on your ID card and the clerk is meant to check them and compare

In the 68 years I have been around I have never seen this happen
Not even once

to make it worse all the machines use tech from like 2005 so it's incredibly slow. It's pretty much pointless and a huge hassle to use.

it's the fucking (((merchant banks))) not wanting to spend money.

Japan has NFC chips everywhere in comparison and people can pay almost everything with just their cellphone or waving a card like a train pass.

When I was a teenager, I did it a couple of times. Pretty much only when the customer wrote "SEE ID" on the back of their card, and made a stink when I didn't.

This is not really true though, the signature is there mainly for legal purposes. If you claim that you didn't make a payment, the store should find the receipt with your signature and say "but you signed it". If the signature was forged it's not their problem, it goes somewhere else in the chain.

i've seen it once, You'll see it more often if you make expensive purchases

They constantly tried to get that started in the US, but whenever I tried it on a card that said they allowed it, it never worked, so I just swiped the card.

I'm not sure why the entire industry made the push for RFID chips now, of all times. I don't really care, as the vast majority of my purchases are on my Bluebird card, which doesn't have one. Most of the purchases that aren't on that (since it's AMEX) are online, so I don't deal with it there, either.

But man, the once or twice per month I have to use it on my mastercard, it's just a drag.

Being behind the rest of the world in all things, as always.

We have RFID chips in fucking everything and have since 2010.

Oh no, it takes an extra 12 seconds to type your PIN in for a fuckton of added security.

Retards.

German visiting the us here. I really enjoy my stay here but jesus christ, the way you handle credit cards here is ridiculous. I sign every teceit yet no one checksvthe signature.

Also i just had a drink in a bar with some locals and we were talking about game of thrones. I told them that bran is a huge crippled emo faggot and people were looking at me like i just daid that we need to gas all the jews. Seriously america, for a countrx that takes so much pride in freedom my options of expressing myself are fairly limited

it's because america manufactures way more cards than yurope, dumb fucks. those smart chips aren't cheap and everyone here has more than 1 credit card.

Magstripes made fraud incredibly easy. A friend who worked in retail would clone the cards of customers who he thought were dicks. He would put under $500 on them buying things to resell. Theft under 500 was not even worth it for the banks to investigate. He would even let stores have his real name. They don't care where the money comes from.

inb4 degeneracy. just FYI you shouldn't use a magstripe card anywhere.

That is the most lame excuse I've seen for months.

>like i just daid that we need to gas all the jews
You can't say that in Germany.

RFID is easy as fuck to hack. Yeah I chips in all my cards but no RFID shit

American is Aznac

Pay wave with your phone is awesome

Aussies can't use it yet because their banks are fucking them - Amex only for them right now

ever hear of a gift card? or course you haven't. there are millions that go out every year, it's a huge thing here.

Except that it's not RFID, it's NFC, so you probably have no idea what you're talking about.

>You can't say that in Germany
You cant say 'gas the jews' in any western country because it is incitment to violence. I just used this as an example because merely using the word faggot is apparently a hate crime here. Ah well, probably shouldnt have said faggot in seattle anyway. Still you people are pretty uptight when it comes to speech. Wasnt expecting that in the land of the free

I thought this was a world standard, every country I have visited has had this system. How do you check your balance or draw money without a chip? I don't get it.

>american technology

I've used a magswipe card for years and only only had it compromised once.

>I don't get it.
Me neither. And experiencing this makese wonder how the burgers manahed to put a man on the moon...

that's liberals for you

you used to just swipe your card at an atm, but new ones eat your card until you leave.

This world is circling the drain...
Can we get the final happening already? I want off this ride

The magnetic stripe has the card data, when you wipe the card the machine reads the mag stripe, just like your machines read the chip data. It's not just a piece of plastic with a logo and a signature.

I honestly don't see a reason to update until it's necessary. If it is, then that's fine. But most credit card companies are good at monitoring theft and in my time I've never experienced anything that would make me think it's outdated.

Cheers. I've just never known otherwise and I'm coming up to 30. So do you still have to enter a pin at a cash point?

Chip and PIN used to be secure about 8 or so years ago. It can be exploited just as easily as signed cards now.

so how does the RFID hacking work? I get that they're able to scan the stripe from your pocket, but what do they do with the data? Does it give them your credit card number and they use it online? Or do they copy it to a blank stripe and swipe it places?

depends on the store
Most places if it's over a certain amount

for debit purchases you use a pin

Then why are non-american banks spending so much money on upgrading their cards when it isnt necessary. That would just mean less profit for them and we all kniw that less profits greatly displease the happy merchants.

Let's be real, magnetic stripes are as corruptable as an officer of the iraqi army

The credit card companies actually want to upgrade because magstripe is insanely insecure. But it's expensive for the acquiring banks and merchants to replace the terminals and implement proper EMV so they fight back. Everywhere else over time they wise up and say ok to the new standards, in the US they're shitheads.

Holy shit, you cucks actually sign when you buy stuff?
What the fuck does that accomplish?
I don't even put in a pin code, just tap my card and that's it

i don't think europe has to deal with some gas station out in the boonies as often as we do in the US. Aussies might though.
A lot of states here you can drive hours and hours on major highways and not see anything at all. So some guy has to go around and upgrade all their CC shit in all those little podunk stores spread all over the US.

no worries b/ro
you'll find the normal people soon enough.
...Rikon was just an extra.

>Gass all the white walkers

>chip and pin is so ancient we now have magic cards that you just press to the machine and it accepts it in a second.

Still one step behind in backwards land.

Im going to the us soon and now im worried my cards wont work. Chip is ok but mag strip is in tatters, didnt realise places still use it so much.

don't most companies charge foreign transaction fees? I think it's usually like 2%

I understand that rationale, especially from the perspective of the CC companies, I'm just making the case that the public hasn't directly felt the risk so it seems unnecessary at the moment.

Though since the feds are making us upgrade would prefer the tap kind as described by a few posters in this thread

Don't worry, i've met loads of cool burgers. Some are a bit shallow and naive but good people at heart.
Still, political correctness is ruining this otherwise great country...
Also. I wanted to shoot a gun here bit apparantly as a foreigner just visiting the us i'm not allowed to even hold a gun in the staze of washington. The chap at the shooting range apologized 1000 times for his 'stupid government' but still.o cant fire an ar15 here. This shit sucks...

So someone can easily steal your card and buy stuff with it?

You can have your bank issue you a replacement card (same account number). Sometimes they will expedite mailing it to you...sometimes.

I don't think a foreign card can pay domestically. You might have to get a travel card or just use cash if you're not here for that long.

Yeah until you deactivate it an hour later.
I never keep much more than $100 on my card anyhow.

Bullshit. I'm here with the same credit card i use back in germany. With the slight dofference that i never have to enter my pin and just need to sign every receit. Which basically means that every negro can use my card if he gets a hold of it

will lining your wallet with aluminum foil not work? or making a wallet out of aluminum foil like that one kid with duct tape in high school?

isn't that always the case with any card though?

Interdasting, I was unaware. I would have expected currency issues.

Also I just remembered that Oregon and Washington passed UBC laws. I wonder if that is why you can't posses a weapon in Washington. Either way if you knew someone you could just go shoot on blm land.

you could just get a proper blocking wallet or card sleeve, rather than some ghetto crinkled up tinfoil piece of shit wallet.

>
>I would have expected currency issues.
You do know that banks have these things called computers that can easily convert currencies and process transactions automatically, right?

The guy at the shooting range told me that the law prohibits citizens of washington state to provide weapons to non citizens and classifies it as a class c felony. As much as i want to shoot a gun i dont want to end up in guantanamo for it... So i guess i just have to suck it up... Land of the free my ass

>it has a chip in it now.
>now

>RFID
>Secure

Leaves, lol

>You do know that banks have these things called computers that can easily convert currencies and process transactions automatically, right?
I've never left the country so that was just my gut feeling.
>law prohibits citizens of washington state to provide weapons to non citizens and classifies it as a class c felony.
That's pretty lame.

Underrated, cock sucker

Does Texas have the same laws?

You should go hunt feral/wild pigs and hogs in Texas then.

Pig Hunters even shoot in the air while riding small helicopters when hunting feral/wild pigs/hogs.

I still use my velcro wallet my parents gave me for my 14th birthday so it's not like it would be getting that much worse

You use American Express?

Isn't it getting less popular these days which is why Costco switched to Visa?

I wish Costco picked any bank but Citibank to make this deal though.

Technically we all should have had them by October. I don't know why OP got it so late.

No. The guy said only washington and massachussets, or however that failed abortion of a state is spelled. Sucks ass. Saved the shooting part up for my last days, i'm leaving tomorrow so no shooty shooty for me. I'm really devastated

they've been threatening store for the past two years that next month your would get fined if you don't support chipfags

68? I don't believe it.

We just have barcodes on gift cards.

The US is just the most kiked country in the world, if anything enconomy of scale should make upgrades like this cheaper.

Here in developed europe we have nfc, i sipe my card and thats it, done.

Mate, I like America and all, but you guys are way too behind in card technology.

Chip and pin is not complicated at all, and we've had it for a LONG time now.

We even have NFC cards, you just tap it and you're done.

>slower payment at the cashier
It's actually faster than signing, I know from experience because I have 3 cards I use: One is chip and pin, one is tap, the last one is swipe.

Only have to sign when I use the swipe one. The other two are WAY faster than signing.