Why are RED cameras so disgustingly ugly?

Why are RED cameras so disgustingly ugly?

Because it's built for function rather than form? Why would you need a "pretty" camera, except to pose with it in Facebook photos to show everyone "I'm a filmmaker now, Mommy bought me a camera!!!1"

OP irredeemably BTFO.

Panavision and ARRI cinema cameras are utilitarian, but not aggressively ugly.

RED goes out of its way to make it Oakley-sunglasses-for-niggers-and-FOB-Asians-tier ugly.

Who gives a fuck, cunt? You're not going to be filming the camera itself.

why do you keep posting m8

This photo is just the camera body. Once you add the lens, matte-box, viewfinder, monitor, follow-focus, etc - it will look very similar to except with a hard drive & battery in place of the film magazine.

You're a fucking idiot dude

>actors have to stare at ugly, distracting monstrosity with a giant bright red dot that screams "I'm a douche" instead of inconspicuous grey boxes they used to stare at

>actors are supposed to stare directly at the camera

is that a mini cam?

how will OP ever recover?

wtf i hate op now!!???

ITT: RED shills

>s-shills

first post best post

no recovery from this

Because RED is owned by the guy who owns Oakley sunglasses, obviously his input into designers is there because they share a lot of the same characteristics as his hideous sunglasses

heavy handed faux technical aesthetics, like some 90s low budget B grade sci fi movie

pretty ironic considering gearfags love RED and the only reason why RED has been so popular is because of gearfaggotry

your question is built upon an incorrect premise

Everyone should love RED, their cameras literally ruin the competition

FIncher's custom one is pretty nice

Arri Alexa is still picked by most high tier DP's outside of Jeff Cronenweth (and David Fincher is definitely a factor there because he loves RED).

that's because it has a reputation and people like to stick to what they know, despite RED being clearly superior
see: DP's who insist on shooting on film

Michael Bay's on the other hand...well, it's an acquired taste I guess. Tech wise it's great but don't know about the aesthetics.