Are McMansions the biggest crime ever commited against humanity?

Are McMansions the biggest crime ever commited against humanity?

Explain this meme

Cheaply built large houses with vulgar architectural features that serve no real purpose to the function of the structure
For example those columns next to the unnecessary large door serve no function, they don't support anything
That micro window on right serves also no purpose, its not large enough to let enough light trough it to make it a good ambient light window

They are rivaling Soviet commie blocks in terms of eyesore. They're houses built with nothing but showing off wealth in mind.

mindless consumptionism is the biggest crime

most mcmansions are probably made for the families that found wealth recently

they have the money, but they don't have the culture to spend it accordingly
in Portugal we call these people "novo rico" or new rich.

They are the kind of people that spend millions on a top of the line car and then add something to it that drastically reduces its value, or that take hollidays on high end resorts but go around acting like they are still in their yard with their inflatable pool.

America is new money the country, which pretty much explains why everything here is so tacky and tasteless.

No, you just have no taste.

but your cum is so tasty america-kun!

I didn't know something like that exists. People who want choose showing wealth over practicality are, well I respect their opinion.

BTW this is my idea of a good house design. You might not like it but everything about it is practical. Japanese also got interia that actually works. Windows that face the sun, openings that let air flows in and out during summer, balcony that is wide open enough but somehow your neighbor can never see you. And so on.

not bad but too simple desu

I don't like it. It's unfortunately not too different from a lot of the stuff that you see here.

My taste has changed. I don't own a lot of stuff anymore and my room look like this. But without naked concrete and have even less chair.

No. Communism is.

i wouldn't mind living there. It's a lot better than my apartment in Amsterdam.

my room is pretty similar too actually

patrician taste
also western style beds were designed to keep sleeping people from vermin on the floor, and have no practicality nowadays, Japanese style "beds" are superior in every way.

we minimalist bro now

You're right. Actually I also don't have bed either but I can't find the 100% similar picture. My room have this elevated mini 2nd-floor and I put my futon up there. It's super practical in winter as it's the warmest part of your room. (Not really keen on putting futon on the floor, at heart I'm still not Japanese .)

>dead space to the right
disgusting desu, i hate dead spaces.

I like this the most. Well I can't decide from Northern European style or Med style, but you get the idea.

It's pretty compact.

It's functional, but that's pretty much it. Wouldn't hurt to have some details, or at least a different facade

Yeah they are architecturally pretty ugly
The big problem is that they look character

>Are McMansions the biggest crime ever commited against humanity?
I wish McMansions were the worst thing we've done to humanity.

this is actually a nicer example of a mcmansion. ive seen 50x worse.

Pretty much this.

WOW. JUST WOW.

this looks depressing as fuck.

It's like they mixed Luxor Temple and European Classical/Neoclassical architecture
All while ignoring their garden which was the saving grace of the previous two McMansions

Fuck, man. Even as an American I find this grotesque and appalling.

Jesus Christ almighty what's up with those columns

At least it's symmetrical

i wish the autist that yploaded these pics didnt add the gay commentary

good thread

I find it funny to see they identify the same problem as me

the faux-med mcmansions are the worst.

There's no way somebody lives in that. That's an alien house on a different planet

>"palladian"
I feel sorry for the memory of that great architect.

If you think the outside of these things look bad, then theres a big surprise in store for you when you go inside.

Let's get some interior shots

Well in this case the commentator is bitching a bit too much
I like old furnitures, especially the ones passed down from generation to generation
The glasses we drink Champagne in my house in are at least 100 years old.
However I'll admit that it's very, very Kitsch and nouveau-riche

They couldn't stick to a rustic/rural or modern lifestyle and picked up what seemed nice from both, resulting in a nightmare

>BTW this is my idea of a good house design.
A boring square box.
I have a bunch of cardboards. Do you want to live in them?

If you want a square house, at less make it look nice.

fake bricks and faux-stoneĀ®. Probably made entirely with compensated wood.

This one is by far the less worse. I liked the archs, to be honest.

i am pretty sure no one lives in these places

hadid is my architectfu

>what style should we pick?
>I like the "we need to shoot the barbarian invaders" style
>say no more

This is EXACTLY what's wrong with McMansionism
Two different artsyles that go extremely ill toghether, not a fucking concern for utility or maintainability, and so much fucking empty space

This Ikea Kitchen might be very cheap-looking but at least it's unified and practical

seriously, who draws these shitty houses and who tought it would be a good idea to build them? and the interior architect should be put in jail

I've never thought of ikea furniture as cheap looking
it's cheap yeah and you can tell it's cheap ikea stuff but it always looks just modern enough that it transcends its shitty materials

>half the building space is just stairs.
>no one uses them because elevators where invented few hundreds of years ago.

>shitty materials
Depends on which price range you pick
Ikea in whole-wood is surprisingly durable

They are highly customizable, that's the thing. You would often start with a base model and customers could then add things they'd like resulting in a clusterfuck of a facade

whole-wood with proper insulating paint is durable in general, it doesnt have to be ikea.

this would be a horrible place to live if youre allergic to dust.

shitty was the wrong word
I didn't mean to imply they were fragile, just that they were commonly available and low cost materials that you could find in any cheap furniture

The fact that you start a blueprint and customise from there is in itself a shitty idea
Buy an old, big, and comfy house with character and rehabilitate it, with their wealth they can pay for the work

Just hire 3 illegals to do the cleaning and vote for democrats.

Someone post a nice house, this is making me sad.

Agree. I don't know what european taste is like (except meme 20sqm apartments)

It seems like you guys are over analyzing this. Yeah they might seem kinda weird and unpractical but rich people always build weird and Kitschy houses (or at least it seems that way to me).

This what a lot of newly built houses in the UK look like. People are pushing for more to be built.

Jesus Christ, those gardens

>I have a bunch of cardboards. Do you want to live in them?
Who wouldn't want to live in a cardboard castle?!

>your neighbor can never see you
>in Tokyo
Too cube-like for me though.

Are Japanese Jewish? Because that very exact building code was adopted by Israeli building authorities and it turned the entire country into ugly cube dumpster

>McMansions
I don't think that is one

>what?
that's the garage

This is the biggest mansion close to a town I used to live.
Build in 1921 with a castle type of feeling in mind. Pretty infamous these days cause nazis took over and killed prisoners there.

Doesn't America have any older mansions with taste?

That's terrible in a different way.

French-styled

There's a bunch of colonial/revolution-era buildings, but I'm not really a fan.

Thomas Jefferson's house.

Yeah it is. Most of them are bought by working/lower middle class professionals.

pretty much

It's less bad but the god-awful columns and the unnecessarily intricate roof is there

Washington's house.

It's probably a new construction they'll add grass soon.

I wish Frank Lloyd Wright was still around.

He designed my county's civic center. It's kind of cool in a weird space way.

i am glad he isnt. those are bit shitty designs desu.

In Sweden: functionalism functionalism functionalism. That or traditional like pic related

So it's architectural autism mixed with envy? Got it.

its not much better here

ppl with new money build weird glass cubes

would you pay 14 million for this piece of shit?

This is what the inside looks like.

So what's the actual appeal of art deco? I see a lot of people loving it but all I can see is an overly busy and gilded jumble of squares and cylinders

it has that feel of "mass produced". But i like the brick wall.
What make it french? Architecture stiles where shared by all western and central Europe.

I really think that the Luisium Castle is one of the most beautiful and simplest building i ever see.

thats pretty neat. where is it located?

at last it looks less fake than the usual mcmansion

Why European homes have so much doors to outside?

There usually are some key differences.