Minas Tirith

How was the city fed?

Why isn't there agricultural activity outside the city walls?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5K3H-FjEhkw
youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY
youtube.com/watch?v=sqjfq5gsfYk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They've got a stash of banana's in the mountain Donkey kong style

>Why isn't there agricultural activity outside the city walls?
It was early spring and they were prepering for war. Why plants crops for orcs to step on a week later?

In the book there are outer walls which can't be manned for lack of maintenance and manpower covering a fairly large expanse of agricultural land.

Maybe they just sowed them, you dont know

you only ever get to see the vary tip of the white mountains where Gondor lies at the end of . there are many provinces stretching west of the city under the mountains

The area around the city, Pelennor Fields literally means "Enclosed Fields." The fields are supposed enclosed by a super long wall, and supposed to be filled with farms and shit. That cut got and replaced by an empty steppe for the movie.

Pretty sure there were plenty of farmlands and houses outside Minas Tirith in the book.

Because bravo Hackson.

youtube.com/watch?v=5K3H-FjEhkw

I understand why they didn't but they should of kept the black wall from the book

Should we not analyse the LOTR movie?

Tolkien's book has a realistic answer to this

But Jackson's movie shows a vast expanse of uncultivated terrain

Why did they build that wall on top of the mountain range?

To give it the high ground

kys
And why is he wearing a greek fishermans hat?

King's Landing had nothing but brothels outside its walls

The farm land is a few miles away.

Not too much of a stretch.

He thinks it makes him look classy and old fashioned. It doesn't.

Because goblins climb like lizards

youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

>GRRM's tax policy is "The Lannisters are rich because they have gold mines that have lasted 5000 years"

christ that audio, you get better audio quality with your phone.

I love how Minas Tirith is a fucking marvel of stone working and architecture and then you look at something like the Edoras and its protected by a wooden palisade.

he looks like a sex tourist

What a hack.

Minas Tirith was just an administrative centre and Gondor is a large kingdom. No need for farmland outside of it and especially when it is right near the frontlines.

Martin and Tolkien approached their universe quite, different. Martin presents his world from the viewpoint of a historian while Tolkien presented it in a form of sagas, legends and mythology.

i always wondered that same shit, if i was aragorn i would lowe taxes to incentivate foreign investment, build me some nice roads aaaall the way to arnor passing thorugh edoras, i will make a campaing for "Make Gondor Green Again" which consists in giving land to the folk for a number of years to exploit for their own benefit

>Martin presents his world from the viewpoint of a historian
Martin is absolutely not a historian and his works show him to have a laughable understanding of history.

What was Aragorn's tax policy?

Weren't they mostly nomads?

literally this. his explanations are just as dumb, dumber actually for trying to address these issues but doing it in a very simplistic way

Again, blame Hackson. Edoras is described as having wide walls.

that might be, but that is what it seems like when compared to tolkiens works.
>his works show him to have a laughable understanding of history.
I didnt know Game of Thrones was set in 12th century Europe, I thought it was fiction.

if you actually believe GoT is more grounded and "realistic" than LotR you almost certainly haven't read the books

Martin is a hack whose reputation for gritty realism comes entirely from his killing off characters at random

Martin isn't necessarily wrong, but he's ignoring that his writing follows the conventions of a different genre (or subgenre I guess) than Tolkien's, and the narrative voice is fundamentally different.

Martin focuses heavily on narrative realism (at least in the sense that he takes great pains to discuss political and social reality of his world), but the narrator of the LotR series isn't meant to do this. I forget the specific in canon explanation, but LotR's narrator writes with the goal of mythmaking, largely in the Jungian sense of creating larger than life characters and recounting the story of big people. This narrative style usually sacrifices details of the functions of society and politics in favor of mythopoeisis.

While it makes sense to prefer one narrative style over the other (I'm not really a fan of either writer, but I suppose I prefer narrative realism over larger-than-life monomyth), it is important to criticize a work on its own terms. Complaining that the LotR series doesn't offer a detailed account of Orc reintegration and Aragorn's policy decisions after the War of the Ring is like complaining about The Wire for not having enough psychedelic dream sequences. LotR was groundbreaking for its mythopoetic structure (people forget that it was one of the first modern attempts at mythopoesis) just as Martin's writing is seen as groundbreaking for applying narrative realism to the genre of fantasy.

Rarely do you see such a rapid goal shifting in defense of that fat fuck.

>He's like a historian!
>I-i-i-it's just fiction bro!

>This fucking autist thinks he knows better than Tolkein

WTF I hate Tolkien now!

>Why isn't there agricultural activity outside the city walls?

If you read the book you'd know how they're fed. Everything is made inside the city from ingredients that are shipped in.

getting anywhere in that city must be a fucking pain

>what is the tax policy?
>how does the economy function?
ffs someone kill this fat hack, WHY MUH MYTHOLOGY HAS NO REFERENCE TO POLITICS AND ECONOMY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Because it looks dope, you have less space to guard from attack, you cant transport siege vehicles on top of mountains. Jackson's Minas Tirith looks nice except for everything on the exterior.

Unbelievable. In a thread with dozens of responses, several of which have already said that in the books there are farms outside the walls, you feel so confident about claiming bullshit and indeed accusing someone else of not reading!

you are really fucking dense arent you?

Compared to tolkien, martins style is more from the point of a historian. In this case, a historian that writes about a fictional world.

I did not at any fucking point claim that martin was a historian you retard.

How fucking hard is that to get through your thick skull?

Those people haven't read the book. In Return Of The King, this is explained. They rely on trade.

Never EVER EVER EVER post again.

>Pippin could see all the Pelennor laid out before him, dotted into the distance with farmsteads and little walls, barns and byres

I live in a city that's similarly built on a mountain and can confirm that.

It is. But that's because it is a fortress that is now used as a city. Te city burned down

What would LOTR even be like if it was more grimdark realism like GRRM? would we even like it?

Right, those aren't the farms of gondor. It's specifically said they rely on trade.

Well he's just nitpicking with the taxing bullshit but I would like to have known what happened to the orcs, but everything after the Third Age just seems like fluff.

t. someone who has never read mythology.

No he fucking does not. The fact fuck writes like what he is, a journalist. You have no fucking idea how historians write since you've never read a piece of real history in your fucking life.

I fed them my big fucking cock, like I did with your whore mother after raping your dead faggot grandfather and taking a shit down his throat, remember that?

>The Pelennor Fields are not Gondor

Last response you get troll.

XD

>black outer wall

Patrician

GRRM never claims to have gotten it "right" or tolkien having it "wrong", that's just the title of the video setting a precedent.

What Martin is talking about are their different focus points in a Story.

Except you're wrong.

The Lannisters relied on their mines for wealth, and used that as leverage against Robert as they funded his kingdom and put him in their debt.

But then Robert continued being a shit king, which drained the Lannisters dry so they were forced to borrow heavily from the Iron Bank, to the point that the Lannisters, and by extension the entire kingdom are now heavily reliant on debt to function. Then the War of Five Kings happens and the kingdom is more in debt than ever.

This also creates a niche for Littlefinger to rise to a position of power and later factors into Cersei trying to rule.

The Fellowship would visit brothels, Merry and Pippin would probably be faggots, Gimli would curse all the time and talk about his cock, etc.

>And the ship went out onto the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a green country under a swift sunrise
- Tolkien

>"The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit."
- GRRM

You can see where this goes to.

No, I said those farms are not Gondor. Of course the land is. You can't feed the city on those small farmsteads. They heavily relied on trade. That's why when Pippin shows up there's hardly any food left. Keep up, troll.

If you don't even know what the fuck you're talking about, why are you posting? The idea that the Lannisters are out of gold is a show only invention. We are discussing Martin in this thread, not D&D (who if we're going to talk about economics don't even keep the numbers straight).

But what about Faramir's dick? What if it was too small to satisfy Eowyn and she began an illicit sexual relationship with Eomer? These are the questions Tolkien doesn't address and that I wanted to explore, because real life isn't a fairy tale.

The word trade does not appear in the Return of the King troll.

My friends, it is time to finally abolish the unfair Onion Tax

Based Aragorn

>>"The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit."
>- GRRM
Martin takes "write what you know" to heart.

Robert owed the Lannisters money. This is a fact that the book clearly establishes you dumb nigger. He didn't pull gold out of his shithole rock of a keep.

The Lannisters run out of money, they are in debt to the Iron Bank. Cersei tries to freeze the debts to pay for her new fleet, pissing off the Bank, or is that in the show too you dumb fucking ape?

Have you? Because it's the shitty show that makes a big deal of killing off random characters. In fact, there's only one or two that you can't see coming chapters in advance if you're not retarded.

the eagles dropped off food for them

Can you define realism?

>I forget the specific in canon explanation
iirc in canon tolkien was just translating and compiling surviving copies of bilbo's historical accounts

Last post you get.

The Lannisters owe nothing to the Iron Bank. The CROWN owes money to the Iron Bank. Cersei, acting as Regent in King's Landing, stops CROWN repayments to the Iron Bank.

I would suggest you reread the very fucking last chapter of the last book, where Kevin Lannister says "fuck, if I can't get any other loan for the CROWN I will have to start paying off their debts with the LANNISTER money that STILL EXISTS" but you've never the books at all, just the wiki.

I don't know why I wasted this response on you but you certainly will not get another.

edginess and ebin twists

italian detected

GoT is less formulaic muh good vs evil shit than LotR is so that's a start I suppose

Nope.

>Approach city
>Stop horse
>Look at city
>Say name of city
>Continue on

>Will clearly end with Mary Sues Jon Snow and Dany ruling together
>Less formulaic

Ok.

>he doesnt do that himself

Key word: "less"

To be fair in the movie the wall appears to have black mold growing on it

People start honking their horns like mad if you try something like that thes days.

youtube.com/watch?v=sqjfq5gsfYk
>yfw he actually deflected a real dagger
Why is viggo so based?

Tolkien ignored such things that add nothing to the story and is only of interest to autists

That's because the Rohirrim have shitty ancestors that are not nearly as great as the people who built Minas Tirith.

By the Third Age, if you are a human and don't have any significant amount of Edain blood in your veins, you are a litteral nigger. This is also partly why the Valar give so less shit about Sauron and the Third Age problems. The sentient people left on Middle-Earth by the Third Age are either there of their own volition (elves and descendants of the Faithful) or they have shitty wildmen ancestry that used to side with Melkor long ago (hobbits, rohirrim, dale, laketown, easterlings, etc.) or are openly siding with the enemy.

cont

And I guess dwarves and just fucked and on their own. They have their spot in Mandos caverns, but they were never part of the plan anyway.

I love Lord of the Rings threads because you have so many people who pretend to know what they're talking about.

E.g. who posts an answer that's been contradicted a dozen times in this thread.

Or who doesn't know that the ancestors of the Rohirrim and of Dale never sided with Melkor.

Often places nested up to a mountain will live on cave mushrooms. Like the sherpa whose diet is 80% mushrooms

I love both GRRM and Tolkien for different reasons.

Which is kind of odd. That sort of undermines the idea of them forming any sort of larger mythos.

poison the crops, put viet cong traps in the fields
? ? ?

Back to the fortress Urist, stop shirking.

What would the humans do if the orcs went around the mountain

>poison all the crops
>if you lose, orcs will just eat you since meat is back on the menu
>if you win, now you have to eat dead orcs or starve

Masterful lose-lose improvisation

are orcs edible for humans?
would it be considered as cannibalism?