The Young Pope

Has the latest episode brought you to tears? Can it be mentioned in the same breath as the Sopranos or the Wire?

Who actually got inspired to go to Church?

Pure pope kino.

Favorite Scenes:

Love letter: youtu.be/DGkyDSM-JFc

Prayer: youtu.be/BIj_bNd2oew

Africa: youtu.be/cbb-mita0Hs

Smile: youtu.be/yE99LvM7OzA

Thread theme: youtu.be/cgTF_fNuzXQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2HC_7EKPYXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=x2Yl0ALK3-4
youtube.com/watch?v=XCR1MQhwswM
youtube.com/watch?v=K6NnXF-L9c0
youtube.com/watch?v=scLWcF2I7V8
youtube.com/watch?v=a6LPvSC0KIk
youtube.com/watch?v=jXi4WK6KJsA
youtu.be/HV4gqvWGELE
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/01/the-young-pope-hbo-review
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is Gutierrez a good character?

>who got inspired to go to church
Nigga, i got inspired to be a saint!

was it implied that he also molested children?

most pure

>Show's quality is so high there is nothing to meme about and the viewing audience isn't retarded so bait isn't feasible
> thus any threads about it die quite quickly

classic Sup Forums

No... all will be revealed about Gutierrez tommorrow. He was molested as a child.

That he was molested as well.

Most threads on Sup Forums are waifu threads. Makes me want to ree.

Honestly this series is gonna BTFO aot of critics who judged it early. The american attention span can't comprehend an actual series that spreads its story throughout with each episode flowing into the next. Sorrentino is GOAT

>Latest
Welcome to 4 months ago.

Well for most burgers its new.
To add i really hate the Trump to Lenny comparisons. Its pretty asinine.

that guy's english sucks a lot I don't know how JL kept a straight face

Why didn't Lenny pray his brother back to life?
Why didn't Spencer pray his brother back to life?
Why didn't pray his parents back into his life?

>not watching the season finale
Nuff said

It didn't sound that bad... kind of a mix of new yorker with hints of northeast

We got most of the good discussion out of the way before it arrived on American tv

Kek... when Voiello starts crying about Maradona

Bamp

that whole episode was wonderful. had me on edge the whole time and I finally cried like a bitch at the end

Save your tears for tommorrow... this show is pure emotional kino....

We need more tasty beats: youtu.be/2HC_7EKPYXQ

I've never been to Church but as retarded as it sounds this show actually got me interested. I'm not sure if I've ever been as emotionally impacted by a series before.

Just check out your local catholic church... if anything bro ask any questions on pol's catholic general. Just search the catalog there! There is one ongoing now

Enjoy

>This show went so far over Burgers heads that they compare it to Trump and House of Cards

I guess it's official then. The US are culturally and intellectually dead.

Honestly I stay out of these threads because a lot of anons have already seen the whole season and I don't want spoilers.

wait, you mean that the serie did not end with the venice speech and that there are more episodes? Fuck me, I'm running home to watch them

Most US film critics are jews, so the Catholic Church is just this organization they vaguely resent and don't care to understand. Viewers are loving this and Catholics love it on another level.

I hated House of Cards. It had no heart. The Young Pope feels like it's dealong with broader themes than "lol power dude."

The HBO promos keep painting this show like a super serious thriller it's confusing.

He's just a poor little pope who wanted his parents to love him.

The dream of the Popes was pure cinema.

WATH IT VOIELLO

He's the Pope, not a witchdoctor.

It'd be nice to know who all the popes there were. This was the only one I recognized on sight (probably Lenny's least favorite).

Well it got renewed and should shoot over the summer... we hype now

youtube.com/watch?v=x2Yl0ALK3-4

JP2 was there too.

>banal platitude

On another note, was that FEMEN scene a dream or reality?

I'm pretty sure St Peter was the one that stood separate from the rest.

Pretty boring, dropped it after the first episode desu~

I didn't like the ending. The show felt like it was building up to something interesting and then the last episode blew it. Otherwise great show, though.

t. pleb

Trips of lies. Ameriburger attention span on full display.
Pope Pius the XXII was the one playing piano... or was it JP1

>le atheist pope that doesn't believe in god and is always 6 steps ahead of everyone else

I did catch someone that looked like him but it only was a vague likeness, so I wasn't sure.
Would definitely be appropriate and I had the same thought at first, but when I saw those crosses on his robe I kind of discounted it.

Looking into this a little now, I think the one on the speaker's right was Leo XIII.

I think it was supposed to end like that, with an ambigous ending of Lenny realizing god was real and his parents weren't just a dream. However the open endedness is a good setup for S2. So who knows, but I believe it has a fuck ton of potential especially with more juicy beats

>what is a crisis of faith
Enjoy never scratching past the surface.

>every catholic has had a crisis of faith even the clergy.
St. peter was there too, white robes with sideways crosses

youtube.com/watch?v=XCR1MQhwswM

This show is really good at making normies upset.

So it's already been confirmed for a second season from the sounds of it, do you guys think that essentially means Pius must still be alive or is it possible theres gonna be a new Pope

He probably lives but is dying. Imo, he becomes a living saint and has to deal with its burden. We pretty hype. As a catholic im pretty surprised to see a show that actually can explain the Church and its pros and cons without and libfag biases.

Except Ben Shapiro, fuck that kike

>that's the door
>the only way in
>small and extremely uncomfortable

Every normie I've recommended this to after explaining the gist of it has recoiled. They're totally allergic to it. I may be a robot but I have a soul.

>To add i really hate the Trump to Lenny comparisons. Its pretty asinine.
I was picking up those vibes in the first episode (brash, vain), but the character quickly changed.

Tell them le pope trump meme. They'll watch it and then get redpilled on it. Seriously, a couple normie friends of mine started going to church cause of this.

Isn't that true about religion, specifically catholicism?

I hope it he stays, Jude Law really killed it IMO. And yeah as someone with only a broad interest in religion this show kind of inspired me to explore Catholicism in a more serious way.

is this show on HBO Go yet? or do I have to get it from somewhere else.

youtube.com/watch?v=K6NnXF-L9c0

Find me a more kino scene from 2016.

>when you say you studied at Harvard but the Pope is not impressed

>Who actually got inspired to go to Church?
Protestant here, yeah it raises my interest again with religion. But to be quite honest, i mainly watched it for the aesthetics and Jude Law.

>Has the latest episode brought you to tears?
Episode 9 is perfect 10/10

That said, i can see why this might not appealing to most peoples, due to the focus on Catholicism, the pro-conservative undertone in the surface, and the slow pacing of the story.

Its there. Been there for months. If you're a brit, italian, or frenchie their up fully for y'all

Sister Surree a CUTE.

youtube.com/watch?v=scLWcF2I7V8

He's a saint.

The slow pacing is a turnoff for people who watch House of Cards and GoT, but then again that isn't the target demographic for the show.

I still find it astounding that HBO and co greenlit this project. Its phenomenal
You're always welcome to

Honestly at this point in time in our culture it's a mark of true greatness to be received poorly. The shows that will be remembered as the best of this decade (i.e. Young Pope and The Knick) got little to no hype and regurgitated think pieces, and this board's ignorance and lack of attention to them has become the most reliable indication if a show has genuinely high quality.

What's in a Papal snack?

What do you think happened to talking goat man?

They threw him in quicksand.

Giggles and bread
Alask'd or Monastar'd
The Knick was pure fucking kino. Love that show too, especially that twist with ambulance man and the nun

>read Italian review when TYP aired
>"sensationalized characters for an american audience"
>read american review
>trump, HoC

christ. The whole world is retarded

When shows like Girls wins awards you know everything is shit

>was that FEMEN scene a dream or reality?
Real I think, I also figure they're the ones that killed the kangaroo.

youtube.com/watch?v=a6LPvSC0KIk

I cried like a bitch. The way he dismisses the miracle. How humble he is about it.

The humble part is what I love. He doesn't even like talking about it, unlike that sheep farmer

I don't remember, which episode is it?

I cried at the end, reminded me of first love

youtube.com/watch?v=jXi4WK6KJsA

youtu.be/HV4gqvWGELE
Lost love....... Love hurts

thank you friend

yeah, lost love is more accurate....ah

Was the kangaroo shot or stabbed? I couldn't see

WHAT HAVE WE FORGOTTEN?

Are we sinners or are we saints?
Are we kings or servants?

Blessed Juana...

SMILE

I'm in Europe and the whole show has already aired. You can download it on torrents.

He dies in the end.

>Season 2 in the works

>implying he will not resurrect himself

I think it was Spencer, notice the rifles in his house/living room.

Spencer later dies of cancer. Did he redeem himself on his deathbed?

Was Dussolier a degenerate?

how is that relevant to the kangaroo situation?...

>degenerate ginger
yes

TO NOT FORGET

>vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/01/the-young-pope-hbo-review

HBO’s Vatican drama is darker and harsher than the memes would have you believe.

But . . . I don’t know. I’m having trouble reveling in it right now. The show’s accidental similarities to real-life events—Lenny was elected Pope in a stunning upset that confounded the Vatican establishment’s assumption that a more familiar veteran would win—are so keenly felt in the first half of the season that it makes for difficult viewing. I don’t really want to watch this amoral, perhaps insane autocrat exert his ordained might, upending an age-old institution while others fearfully scramble—disbelieving and caught entirely off guard—to save what they can. Sorry, that’s just not the kind of Sunday night I want to have right now. I’m sure those with stronger stomachs—or, indeed, different political sensibilities—will find something exciting or trenchant in The Young Pope’s political annihilation. But, for me, it’s no fun.
[...]
The main Italian in the cast is Silvio Orlando as a beleaguered, mole-flecked cardinal tasked with advising this cocky young Pope, and thwarted at nearly every turn. Cardinal Voiello is horrified by the new Pope’s flouting of tradition, his refusal to submit himself to observance of common courtesies and ethics. (Ugh.) Voiello plays the role of dutiful vizier when in the presence Pope Pius, though we know—and Lenny knows—that he’s much craftier and more resourceful than he lets on. A potentially satisfying bit of intrigue is developing there, but for my sanity’s sake, Voiello better be able to topple this frightening, power-mad narcissist.If not, all of Sorrentino’s style and quirky Euro humor will have been in the service of something rather cruel and redundant. We’ve already got a real authoritarian fox (Trump) in the henhouse to worry about. Lord help us, we don’t need another one on TV—blessed though he may be.

I finished this series and I'm mad it'll be ages till season 2. I'm also worried it will ruin season 1 retrospectively for me or just outright be worse

Made me want to believe again

Do you guys think he's the anti-christ, the second coming or just another saint?

Not only the US but yes, the US is the most fucked of them all because of the retarded politics

there's a reason it's called The Great Satan in some countries

I think you should fuck off little faggot

>this guy is a "top critic" on rotten tomatoes

Just burn this industry down already

its almost as if this dickhead didnt even notice the character arc and watched only the first 3 episodes.

literally the anti-christ
the first episode was clear about it

It's the same everywhere actually, retards fed from social media are authorized to write articles in newspapers. Not so long ago they would have been laughed at and gently asked to get the fuck out the second they try to make an analogy between a complex political event and game of thrones or whatever flavour of the month pop culture shit that cross their mind.

What's the point of this kind of reviews? He only cares for "likeability" of the characters, which tells you nothing about the quality of the show.

>(Ugh.)

America get your shit together right now

I was on the verge of crying several times watching this show. It's got the Awe most of the other shows are missing. Seems like the presence of supernatural being and the gears of faith work quite well with the general audience. The sense of purpose and destiny. Its really great.