Why are white people actually defending this casting?

Why are white people actually defending this casting?

You hated when Heimdall was played by Idris Elbow but you'll defend this? Seriously?

>B-But she looked white in the animes...

So you're telling me if a story takes place in Japan, the characters have Japanese names and the omnipresent culture is clearly Japanese, the film adaptation should still star white people just because the animation style took on a certain stylistic choice that you interpreted as white even though anyone's who's been to Japan will tell you there are Japanese people who would look the part?

And you actually claim to take the moral high ground and get outraged or offended when a white character is played by someone who isn't?

Shameful, absolutely shameful.

Especially when at the end of the day you're defending someone who looks like this.

SAD!

*yawn*

*scratches butt*

*reads post*

*goes back to sleep*

*fart*

americans love Jews and hate the Japanese so it's no surprise

even japs themselves always design themselves as caucasians. even the nigs in anime have caucasian features, only the colour of skin changes.

so give us a break.

should have gone for a more athletic and prettier actress though, johanson is too old, fat and short

This fits the bill more.

No one can look at scarjo's bulbous simian features and seriously think she looks better for the part. Just looking at the OP makes it pretty clear.

She looks like fucking ET.

Then why didn't a japanese film company produce the movie you cunt?

Once the rights to a story/franchise are secured, whoever produces it has the right to do whatever they want with the production. That's how the industry works. No one owes you a god damn thing. Just don't go see it

And also, this film is being released in English. How many native Japanese actors can you name that are female, speak English fluently, are young and would be able to an action film? The list would be very small

This movie would literally not be made at all without her. That PoS Lucy made half a billion on her name alone. Whether they would cast an asian was probably never even considered. Please name one asian actress, hell ANY actress, with a tenth of the box office draw of ScarJo.

Japanese American/British women are everywhere, dude.

You can Google the actresses.

This also.

It's almost like OP forgot that studios hire household name actors to play the lead in major productions because having that certain actor will put asses in the seats regardless of the movie

Here's a question: why do people who are offended by this casting lump all Asians together? Isn't lumping all Asians together racist?

see

It probably shouldn't have been made.

Especially now that we know where Yohandsome is investing her cut.

Obviously, the big twist is that the Major was originally a Japanese woman before her consciousness was transferred to a white body.

I often wonder if the same white people okay with this are the ones that complained about Heimdal being black in Thor.

No more racist than lumping Brits, Aussies and Americans together.

How offended were you by LA Confidential?

>So you're telling me if a story takes place in Japan, the characters have Japanese names and the omnipresent culture is clearly Japanese
The first film's location was obviously inspired by Hong Kong you retard.

Name one without Google. Lucy Lu maybe? But maybe she's chinese. Without google you probably couldn't name one and neither could the average north american movie goer.

And that's part of the point. ScarJo is a household name with experience in action movies in a movie being produced for a north american audience. Why take a risk when you could guarantee a return?

>cuse muh feelings

She's so fucking ugly.

And none of them have any draw at the box office. Let's say it like this: Pacific Rim wouldn't have flopped with Scarlett in that Japanese chick's role. Nothing to do with talent or whose "right for the part".

>So you're telling me if a story takes place in Japan

The setting of the 1995 movie was based on Hong Kong you dumb fuck, other than that they don't even state the name of the city.

But it's Asian right, so it all looks the same right? You're here bitching about it not being Japanese and you overlooked this detail. Fuck off.

>even japs themselves always design themselves as caucasians
No, the design themselves as cartoons, you read them as caucasian because you're caucasian, it's in your brain to find patterns to make things related to you.

When a Jap designs a Westerner they made their eyes and nose more realistic instead of the usual big eyes, small nose and small mouth

I literally could care less about this meme flick so yeah..

>I'll say all Asians rook same, except when it suits me and suddenly I'll pretend to give a shit

Yeah I forgot Hong Kong is in Europe.

My problem isn't that she's white (Motoko is a cyborg and doesn't look very Japanese compared to other Japaneses in the movies) my problem is that she's fat and not very attractive

>But it's Asian right, so it all looks the same right?

Pretty much.

Why do you think they had to CGI her body?

Should've done her face too.

Face perception + Cross-race effect = These threads

im not caucasian and i see all anime heroes as caucasian. whats wrong with me doc?

>didnt smell fingers

Even whites themselves always design themselves as Asian, even nigs in the simpsons have Asian features, only the colour of the skin changes.

Hey, two can play this game.

This. Hollywood remakes of anime are unnecessary. Same with Death Note. Nobody is going to see that shit anyway. At this point Hollywood is hurting anime more than delivering something worth seeing.

Your logic is why the nothing will ever change.
Asian stars don't exist because Hollywood doesn't cast Asians as lead characters and give them the opportunity to work up to being a star and box office draw. This causes Asians to not be interested to becoming actors in Hollywood, knowing there ain't shit for them apart from stereotypes or martial art roles. Thus, Hollywood can blame this whole situation on a lack of Asian actors to play these parts.

I'm not defending the casting of ScarJo, but Anime tends to use looks of phenotypically white people all the time so I have no problem with live action adaptations using white casts.

I do however have problems with live action adaptations of anime just existing though, namely because they've all been shit.

want to make a movie? Have a japanese studio make an OVA but holy shit live action anime does not work.

lol what?

Japanese actresses are not household names. That's the point. When a studio invests millions into a movie, they want a big house hold name in the lead.

Think about the demographic of people who have never seen Ghost in the Shell, probably more than those who have seen it. Since ScarJo was cast, there is a chance that this movie will get people from that demographic watching the movie simply because they like her, or saw her in Lucy or some shit. That would never happen if they hired a Japanese nobody for the role.

You seems to want to the entire industry to change how they operate so your feelings won't get hurt, but no one gives a shit and this will make millions regardless.

animu is much more anthroporphic compared to the simpsons mr pleb

Lol she looks like ET

>Let's say it like this: Pacific Rim wouldn't have flopped with Scarlett in that Japanese chick's role.

Pacific Rim flopped because the trailers made it look like a knockoff Transformers and it had a title that didn't give any indication of what it was about.

Also Guardians of the Galaxy disproves your point completely.

OP, what's the big deal?

This movie literally has a white woman being surrounded by Asian guys. This movie is fetishizing white women for the asian audience. I would prefer this more than a movie with an asian actress in a western country.

Remember your own money argument the next time you complain about TFA or the next Marvel blockbuster.

All that shit is meaningless. There aren't WHITE actresses which could automatically greenlight a movie like she can. It has nothing to with skin color it has everything to do with Americans loving Scarlett Johanssen.

And hey, if Asians want more asian actors/actresses how about making some art scholarships for them instead of pressuring them to be chemical engineers or accountants in fields they are over-represented in?

>Jews
>white

>There aren't WHITE actresses which could automatically greenlight a movie like she can
I'd argue Jennifer Lawrence a couple of years ago

The only people who give a fuck about her ethnicity or whatever are people who don't care what the original film tried to accomplish.

brits, aussies and white american anglos all come from the same stock you retard. its like casting a singaporean chinese and a taiwanese in an hk film. terrible example

>thinks I watch starwars or capeshit

nice projecting. these movies are for children. I probably won't even see this movie, I'm just sick of you politically correct adult-children complaining about your feelings all the time, talking about how it's always the white mans fault

grow up

You really think America would love Johanssen if she looked like a terrorist?

I wouldnt even have a problem with it if the white actress was good.

This frumpy swolen faced bitch is a meme now.

Not going to joke, but you probably have a problem, that or you live in a place where whites are the vast majority so you have been conditioned to think white is the default and unless explicity said everything is white.

PR flopped because it was shit

>So you're telling me if a story takes place in Japan, the characters have Japanese names and the omnipresent culture is clearly Japanese, the film adaptation should still star white people just because the animation style took on a certain stylistic choice that you interpreted as white even though anyone's who's been to Japan will tell you there are Japanese people who would look the part?

yes since in the GitS world people can choose to have whatever body they want and if South Korean eye widening and jaw narrowing plastic surgery and sales of skin bleach is anything to go by asians all would choose to look as caucasian as possible

You've literally never seen interviews with Asian actors and actresses have you? They're always only landing small commercial roles or bit parts as love interests in the case of women but literally can't advance higher because major roles - even ones based on Asian women - are taken by white actresses.

The Martian being the most recent example. Ridley Scott complained the book had too many Asian characters and felt American audiences would be weirded out.

>people can choose to have whatever body they want
GitS had very few full prosthesis characters. Outside of villains and Motoko I can't think of any.

This+++

Also, for the """"""fans"""""", Major's body isn't supposed to be Japanese, compare her to other Japanese/Asian women on the movie, she doesn't look like them

Checked.

But it doesn't even matter. The only real asian part of 1995 GiTS is the boat ride, and it's from HONG KONG not Japan. It's not even about being in Hong Kong or Japan, the boat ride I mean. It's seeing the Major looking around and seeing herself questioning her identity. You could replace it with any kind of similar set piece from another country, a fucking taxi ride down a decadent Times Square, as long as the Major is clearly having an issue with the idea of self.

The Major fuses with a goddamn sentient AI, becoming raceless, becoming post-human. Her ethnicity doesn't matter in the least.

Can Asian men even compete

>if South Korean eye widening and jaw narrowing plastic surgery and sales of skin bleach is anything to go by

It's not. Koreans would literally look like this if not for surgery and if Japs didn't rape them during WW2.

Koreans have a massive inferiority complex not found anywhere else on the continent.

i couldn't give a shit about any of it desu. stop whining you uppity faggots. If you wanted your cartoons to be cast as asian you should draw your cartoons to look fucking asian.

She was a fucking iPhone dude and people still went to see Her just for well, her. She could be wearing a box for the whole film and people would buy tickets.
Wow it's almost as though Asians are a minority in the USA and the movies made in the USA are intended for a majority white audience. Who'd have thought? What do these people fucking want? What do they really expect?
why would a movie studio pander to a audience which won't make a return on investment? Do you really think this has anything other to do with than money and demographics? You think Hollywood cares about art or what's right?

Yeah but ScarJo is a shit actor and fat.

She also doesn't look like any of the white characters.

Her voice is her one redeeming quality. Only reason I watched Her more than once.

Oh I agree. I think she is not right for the part, but I understand they wanted guaranteed profits.

>implying you don't

Now who's projecting.

REMINDER that Ghost in the Shell was always more about the setting than the characters.

As it stands, this is just Ghost in the Sheckle.

Well maybe then Asian movie companies should try to be more relevant. This sense of entitlement is baffling to me. Why should western movie companies who makes movies primarily for western audiences consider your fucking feelings. Nobody is complaining about how Bollywood movies always cast Indians in their lead roles instead of black or white people FFS.

I dont watch anime since I've had sex before but everyone is bitching about Scarjo's casting

good work somehow reading only the middle of my post

>I've never watched the source material, but here I am touting my opinion that is clearly researched and unbiased
Go fuck yourself.

The setting, vistas, and art take prominence but the film isn't about the setting. It's about mankind moving forward with technology.

>he looks at the OP and thinks they look anything alike

> moving forward with technology.

So, nothing original. Gotcha.

Why should western companies adapt Japanese IPs at all?

The fact that it is obviously just leftists ideologues looking to soap box about how enlightened and cosmopolitan they are rather than true fans wanting it to be as authentic to the cartoons as possible. Not that elitist dweebs would care to see it since it's not subtitled like their cartoons.

Huh? What other film is about encouraging humanity to stop delaying the inevitability of fusing consciousnesses via technology? What other film demonstrates it in the way the 1995 GiTS does?

I'm not defending this for a moment, ScarJo looks fucking hideous and I won't be seeing this shit.

YAMERO!

This film isn't 1995 GiTS and people have gone to lengths to point this out to me you intellectually dishonest fruitcake.

Why shouldn't they? Why shouldn't a Japanese company be allowed to make an all Japanese cast Adventure Time live action production if they wanted to buy the rights to? It's just a story same as any other.

Me too

>This film isn't 1995 GiTS

We're talking about the ScarJo one? That wasn't evident from this post:

Yeah conservatives are all about the scarjew.

Fuck off shill.

Why shouldn't they? Because the feelings of some myopic leftist with scoliosis and an unkempt beard will get upset? They have money and shockingly people want to make it. Sorry it doesn't live up to your Nihongo fantasy.

Just don't bitch about race-swapping when it happens to a white character.

Oh I see, you were merely pretending to be retarded.

Inafune himself has stated repeatedly in interviews that he's more interested in broad, expansive settings he can use as a sandbox for his ideas.

>myopic leftist with scoliosis and an unkempt beard
Literally WHO?

I literally never have. Why would I give a shit? They aren't real.

No clue what's going man, let me try to get us on the same page:
made that post. I replied stating GiTS, specifically 1995 GiTS, was not explicitly about the setting. It was about man's relationship with technology, how we need to move forward with it. To which you replied: , stating that that is nothing original. I asked you to provide me the name of another film that does what GiTS did, and then you started saying "this film isn't 1995 GiTS," leading me to believe we are talking about the ScarJo one. But that wasn't evident to me, because I was never talking about the ScarJo one in this chain of replies.

>Inafune
You mean Mamoru Oshii? What does that have to do with what is explicitly said and shown in the 1995 GiTS?

It's not like it mattered, the flick was certain to be unwatchable garbage the moment the staff was revealed.

Scarjo is the least important issue with this mess.

you do realize they want to make it box office succesful,
thus the necessity for a familiar white actress

either way she is jewish so her ancestors actually come from the continent of Asia (israel)

exactly

I don't have a problem with her being played by a white actress. I have a problem with her being played by this jewish rat-faced cunt. She's easily among the top-10 of worst people in Hollywood.
HOWEVER. Jusdging by the look of the trailers, this movie is complete and utter shit. Jumbled bits from anime with a generous side of shitty hollywood writing, no lighting to speak of, awful lines and line delivery. And colour grading is trash. Johannson's "star power" is the only thing that can save this steaming pile of garbage from flopping. Even though it deserves to.

So who is this ?

That there's kataahna. She's got my back.

egg head, potato nose and probably is 5"5

I know it's a trivial thing to complain about, but I wish they'd tried a little harder to keep her attire and hair as close to the anime as possible.

Her new hairstyle especially screams of "modern at the time of production".

Honestly it doesn't look terrible.
Anyone complaining about whitewashing can fuck off to Tumblr and anyone complaining about a Jew playing their favorite Chinese cartoon character can fuck of to Sup Forums.

Star Wars and Marvel are huge on their own, they don't need a household name at their center. In the case of Star Wars, the studio simply got lucky in that its central cast were all unknowns yet the movie blew up.

In this climate of entertainment, Disney of all studios isn't going to invest millions into a movie and cast an unknown actress on the chance that it'll be a success. More so that Ghost in the shell as a franchise isn't strong enough on its own.

>Implying it wasnt besson who attracts the box office.

>I literally could care less

So you do care.

>Honestly it doesn't look terrible.

I bet you liked the Aeon Flux movie.