This "masterpiece" is nothing without its shocker ending

Prove me wrong

Yeah even then I still didn't really like it. It's bait for teenage males.

most people on this board thinks it's already trash

stopped watching when one guy beat like 10 other guys alone. that is some anime level retardation.

>I watch movies for an accurate portrayal of real life

>have you seen John wick though?!

I fondly remember a time when anybody who simply wrote an inflammatory comment followed by "prove me wrong" in the OP would be told to fuck off back to Sup Forums.

So fuck off back to Sup Forums.

i read the manga afterwards thinking it was going to involve incest, gore, fightscenes etc.

nothing, absolutely nothing and the ending was so stupid and made me contemplate existentialism why the fuck did i waste my time reading a turd.

I realise that park chan wooks magic all comes from shitty source material that is too boring for film if you tried to make a true 1:1 adaption and gives the material some necessary changes.

Go read fingersmith and then watch the handmaiden, he is like a M. night shylaman that is his twist

that movie was retarded on purpose. oldboy tried hard to be dark and edgy with serious plot.

This "masterpiece" is nothing without its shocker ending

Prove me wrong

It's almost like a modern day Greek tragedy needs to end in...shocking tragedy?

>implying that wasn't possible

Hit the gym, beta boi

I will more adaptations would go this way. It's so easy to read something mediocre and think of a much better story.

I don't even think it's a masterpiece. But damn is the film really pretty.

That was some really stupid shit.

So the manga was bad because it jogged your noggin?

And?

The "shocking" ending of Oedipus Rex is constantly mentioned and foreshadowed by the oracles' prophecy and the chorus. We know what is going to happen, we just don't know how. The difference between Old Boy and Oedipus is that Old Boy treats its ending as some big and edgy twist.

I don't think the twist itself is the important part. It's a really neat twist, but the important part is do you, the audience, think Oh Da Sue actually forgot that it's his daughter, or is he going to choose to ignore it in favor of a happy life.

Did you watch Oldboy?

We're told, specifically, in the first scene of the film, that Oh Daesu's daughter is turning 3-years-old. Then we're told that Oh Daesu has been imprisoned for 15 years. After Oldboy meets Mi-Do (who, conveniently, is around the age Oh Daesu's daughter would be), we drop the daughter plot. But this is a movie, and if you think that that's the end of it, you're a poor consumer of media.

Besides, the twist isn't the part that makes it a big tragedy, it's his tragic fall that does. The fact that Oh Daesu was so eager to take revenge for Woo-jin's transgressions, when it is Oh Daesu that wronged Woo-jin in the first place. He wants revenge so bad he drops his pursuit of his daughter. His lust for vengeance ends up ruining his life--like a Greek tragedy.

I thought it was a pretty good film.

I remember when Sup Forumss resident weabs come out in defence and praise of the hallway fight scene. That shit was awful. It's choreography is abysmal and you can easily see the strikes don't connect, the opponent just jumps backwards or falls to the ground. It's pathetic.

But the original manga didn't have incest. The point being made is that Old Boy intentionally went out of the way to include an incest storyline, just to shock the audience. There was literally almost no foreshadowing on that, so the film feels kind of empty on a rewatch. Likewise, the whole revenge thing is really convoluted and kind of unreal.

I already posted this, but the fact that it's more shocking makes the question of "did Oh Da Sue actually forget, or is he going to choose to ignore it in favor of a happy life," more pertinent.

what's wrong with the manga?

This. I mean... did any of you really not see it, ahem, cumming that she was his daughter? It was pretty obvious. The ending scene is still amazing.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance shits all over Oldboy though

Maybe my words 'big and edgy twist' were too harsh. My point is not against Old Boy. I just wanted to explain to that Oedipus Rex' ending isn't shocking or played as a twist in the same way that Old Boy's ending is. It has been a while since I've seen Old Boy so it's possible that the twist serves a purpose like says.

he nearly dies doing it and only succeeds because it's a thin hallway you fucking spud

>wow if you remove a crucial part of this film it's shit

retard stop posting

Still over hyped by elements of Sup Forums.

Its mediocre at best.

>the singleshot fight scene
>the uncomfortable sex scene
>Mido is fucking pretty
>eating dumplings
>the music

A lot of memorable scenes even without the last part.

If I ever take revenge on someone I'm definitely doing the laser pointer + wrapped box thing

The hallway fight scene is why I watched it, didn't care about the ending.
Funnily enough the manga is more realistic and had no such tomfoolery.

>laser pointer + wrapped box thing
What?