Star Trek Discovery Klingons Revealed?

A recent Instagram update by one of the extras from the upcoming series Star Trek Discovery indicates some major changes to the Klingon character design and fans are not happy. Do you think it's legit and if so what are your feelings on the change?

youtube.com/watch?v=0FCaRwfspik

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9cWnubJ9CEw
youtube.com/watch?v=WasyIZOHg8s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And here's a screencap of the Instagram post for your convenience.

Hi CBS' marketing team, the reason we don't like this change is because we don't like you, you're scum, you're nobodies changing Star Trek because you're incompetent and couldn't write something in the existing universe.

Do as you wish, nobody is going to watch this tripe.

I thought Discovery is supposed to take place in the prime timeline, they're just doing a really bad job at maintaining points from that continuity, like pic related.

And yes, fuck CBS.

Has it been confirmed it's not a cosplay or fan film?

who the fuck is saying that they're supposed to be klingons?

Andrew MacKay is saying it apparently it'd be pretty elaborate prosthetic makeup for a fan film and it does match the concept art the turbo autists at Trekyards showed from STD which was labeled "Klingon Captain"

You just don't like it because they are using BLACK PEOPLE to play the Klingon.

more like black cone heads WE WUZ KLINGANZ AN' SHEIT

>Captain! Our sensors detected a pair of Class P Shitposters off the starboard bow! I recommend a full spread of photon torpedoes!

>vulcans die
>completely change klingon appearance
> starfleet religious and gay
Makes sense

take a closer look at what CBS has done to your people Mr. Woof.

FIRE EVERYTHING!

Don't get me wrong, it looks fucking atrocious, but CBS being a bunch of dipshits who actually think J.J. wasn't out of his god damned mind when he re-designed the Klingons, has nothing to do with the We Was Kings people, and they don't need to be brought into this.

I've seen Enemy Mine already

So they are redesigning aliens to look like actual fucking aliens.

Good. In my opinion. They should do this with every alien species. Make the Vulcans look like Eldar imo.

The leaked Klingon ship also looks fucking badass, Warhammer 40k as fuck.

OK bot

J.J. Klingons may have looked a bit extreme, but I was expecting that and all things considered, they didn't look as outlandish as I thought they would.

This shit is more like what I was fearing they'd look like. Not like I was expecting discovery to be good anyway, I knew they'd fuck this shit up.

they look pretty much human, this would just be a pointless change probably to put them more in line with the stupid Jew Jew Abrams version of the Klingons

I knew that design had a familiar and yet fucked look.

The producers will be praying to pack half the punch Enemy Mine did.

Because I think we should update shitty 80s makeup?

98% of Trek Races would look like shit in a modern production since they are simply humans with a few basic prosthetics.

Redesigning Aliens should be one of the first things they should do, Any alien that looks like a human should be changed and there is actually in universe arguments for this, you often see characters being able to easily differentiate humans from aliens that look identical to humans, so obviously, the aliens don't look human to the characters.

Also like the Klingon ship leak, it looks fucking weird and gothic as fuck which fits Klingons fine and honestly, Star Trek becoming super fucking weird in it's designs is a good choice, it's one of the reasons I love V'Ger because it's so fucking bizarre and truely sci-fi.

>since they are simply humans with a few basic prosthetics.

Clearly you miss the point of trek.
The main alien races are supposed to look like humans because they're supposed to remind us of our various aspects that the idealistic federation lacks.

When I heard they were putting in a space Muslims I lost all interest. Trek has always been about transcending old world religions and the triumph of secular humanism.

Putting the worst, most intolerant, religion on earth on the crew to virtue signal? You deserve nothing but failure you fucking hacks.

are you sure they didn't mean Muslim as just "middle eastern" rather than Islamic?

Apparently its full on observant prayer-mat-room-on-the-ship hijab sharia muslim.

Middle Eastern would be fucking fine, Doctor Bashir was Middle Eastern and he was awesome.

>Because I think we should update shitty 80s makeup?
>we
May as well admit that this is a marketing thread
None of what you mentioned was a problem nor looked bad. They looked fine. You're trying to stuff bullshit into a slick package.

The Actor for Bashir was Arab but the character was East Indian

The guy (possibly) unironically suggested that making Star Trek look like Warhammer 40k is a good idea.
youtube.com/watch?v=9cWnubJ9CEw

I think it's crazy that they didn't notice that the fans didn't like JJTrek and there's a market of old Trekkies who just want something recognisably Trek.

You sound like a CBS employee. They should try and make something as good as Star Trek before they start trying to improve it.

Huh, I honestly never knew that.

pics of Klingon ship leak anyone? M

Bashir is an Arabic name though, not Indian. And I don't recall any explicit mention of his heritage.

>tfw the fans liked Beyond
>It wasn't directed by JJ
pottery

No we didn't you poser shit.

In one episode his parents visit.
His mother is fairly clearly Indian, his father looks like he has some indian in him, could have been middle eastern too.

Bashir was genetically modified though so part of that could have made him look less mid-east/indian if we need a reason to headcanon an actor cast at the start not looking like his parents cast for a single episode.

>Goes against the fans
>Isn't the poser shit
never change Sup Forums

That still looks like a Klingon. The dudes in the behind the scenes photo look like a totally different race.

His mother is played by Fadwa El Guindi (Egyptian) and his father by Brian George (Iraqi Jew), but that doesn't really indicate anything, and if it does then it's not Indian.

Ok, to a White American everyone from that general area looks similar.

It's different but honestly these are some great costumes.

This feels a lot like stargate universe all over again.
Even though I liked aspects of universe, it Redesigned everything so much that no one wants to touch stargate without letting that fucker emerich reboot it.
This feels so similar,
Fuck
Not again..

Part of the thread that makes this believable as a klingon is that this is a time period when klingons were very human like in the prime universe. People were wondering how JJ was going to handle klingons in his universe and it ends up being kind of a half way point between TOS kirk's human Klingons, and the movies/TNG's headridge Klingons. It's actually probably one of the better things he handled if he didn't want to go with full human Klingons.

Discovery fucked shit up by comparison.

>That looks like a Klingon
And I guess the Jem'Hadar are just Klingons who were never told about the importance of moisturising.

Seriously though, that J.J. thing resembles a Klingon about as much as an average person today resembles Homo Erectus.

Closer to a Kazon desu.
Just give him some bark hair.

oh they'd be fine as their own species but Klingons they are not.

Sasha from walking dead is arabic?

Why would it be a good idea to radically redesign something that's meant to take place years prior to the original series?

it's just a tv show

I've been wondering how they're going to handle the Klingons. This takes place before Kirks mission when Klingons were played by white actors in blackface with Genghis Khan mustaches. Not going to fly today.

People probably wouldn't like it if you just cast black actors either, the racial implication of a warrior like dark skinned savage race.

While those optoins may be inelegant it makes more sense than this. They're doing ridged forehead Klingons even though this is set before Kirks mission when they all had humanoid forheads.

And as if that weren't confusing enough, they look different from the ridged foreheads we're used to seeing in later series.

The Klingons already went through one redesign that was pretty much accepted by all and the discrepency was happily brushed off by most fans until Enterprise retconned an explanation which is neither here nor there. This is just the most confusing thing they could have done.

Voyager did the same thing with Chipotle and his mystical spirit animal journeys

And this a thread discussing that tv show

Official True Facts Copypasta for Star Trek: Discovery [version 0.9]

The Good
>created by Bryan Fuller
>Rod "my father is a shitbag" Roddenberry producing
>Nicholas Meyer (Star Treks II, IV and VI) in the writers' room
>Joe Menosky (Darmok and other classics) in the writers' room
>Doug Jones as a science officer on the USS Discovery
>Anthony Rapp as another science officer on the USS Discovery
>Michelle Yeoh as a recurring character and the captain of another ship
>airing on Netflix worldwide (except in America and Canada)

The Neutral
>Sonequa Martin-Green as the executive officer (and lead character) of the USS Discovery
>James Frain as Young Sarek
>Emily Coutts piloting the ship
>some Klingons on another ship are recurring characters
>TOS era

The Bad
>Bryan Fuller has left, saying "I’m not involved in production, or postproduction"
>Alex Kurtzman producing
>Akiva Goldsman producing
>first episode on TV, then all subsequent episodes only on CBS All Access (in America)
>a fucking prequel

That's it. That's all we know.

It's not believable at all, how does killing George Kirk make the Klingons completely different than any of their previous appearances?

JJ Trek wouldn't have bothered me so much if it at least made some kind of sense within the rules it set up.

That was a made up religion that was invented by aliens

Except they just made them black anyway, the implication is still there.

Clearly CBS gives zero shits, and is pants on head retarded on top of giving zero shits. Why would you spend money on redesigning an entire race just to alienate your entire fanbase when you probably still have leftover klingon prosthetics sitting in a storage container somewhere?

Even using JJ's klingons would make more sense because hey we already have all the costumes ready and within reach.

Why did George Kirks death change the racial makeup of Khan Noonien Singh, a eugenics war survivor who prided himself on his genetic purity who was frozen in statis centuries earlier than the supposed timeline altering event.

The answer is JJ Trek is a rabbit hole with no answers at the bottom.

>Putting the worst, most intolerant, religion on earth on the crew to virtue signal
But there are pleanty of christian characters already in star trek user.

Seriously though, this Sup Forumstard aside, The new klingons are absolute crap. Still hopeing they're just some new race, but how would that fit into the timeline?

When you watch JJ trek you have to throw out some idea of continuity. It's like the power rangers movies. Why does the first movie give them rubber suits when the subsequent movies and the series all around are nothing but spandex?

Everyone knew the klingons werent going to be dudes in blackface because it's not 'theatrical'. The designer at least didnt go overboard and kept them within the scope of both klingons.

G'Kar? I'm Londo.

youtube.com/watch?v=WasyIZOHg8s

The Klongins, brothers to the Klingons from the planet of Qo'nis, shunned by pure blackface klingons for their offensive skull deformities and taste in uniform that would make a 14 year old doom metal enthusiast blush.

The same reason why George Kirk will return in the next JJVerse movie:
Because all that matters it what they can sell.

Just remember folks, I called it before Beyond, and I'm sticking to it; because it's canon that Nero casually hung out with V'Ger (who may or may not have created the Borg), and because it's canon that Nero casualyl retrofitted his mining vessel with Borg technology:
I guarantee you, George Kirk's body was salvaged by Nero in one of his plans at revenge, only to be turned into a Borg Drone, and Chris Patt will fucking wrestle him to the tune of The Time Is Now.

Worf was black but I'm pretty sure the majority of Klingon actors were just in makeup.

Gowron and Martok were straight up cowboys. Kah'less was a white guy. All the Klingon villains from the movies were white guys.

I think it became more acceptable once they were given the funny alien foreheads. Before that it was too close to blackface which is the awkward position they're in now.

But instead they opted for redesigning them to look like some other species entirely. Bravo CBS.

Second new series more attuned to fan expectations (post-Nemesis, no radical reinventions of main alien races) to run concurrently with Discovery when?

Next time, look at the screen, not your phone. They explained the racial change IN THE FUCKING MOVIE.

>Chipotle

I've regretted seeing that shite twice and the only explanation I can see it Bandicoot Cobblepott was/is flavour of the month genre actor.

That shit was in TOS too, but in episodic form, not as part of a main character's continuing story.

>2 autistic faggots talking about a redesign for an hour
>when the redesign significantly improves on the original

I hope they go balls to the wall and make all the aliens actually look alien.

>inb4 that seeding race shit
fuck that

>chakky 's sumb medicine wheel

That was so fucking stupid.

That episode may have been a half hearted attempt to explain something that most audiences were smart enough to put down to budgetary restraints but it's CANON

That is not all we know;

>An audience member asked the duo whether there’d be a Muslim crewmember aboard the titular ship, USS Discovery NCC-1031, in light of Star Trek’s previous commitment to humanizing geopolitical or ideological outsiders, such as with Pavel Andreievich Chekov, who appeared on Star Trek during the height of America’s Cold War with Russia.

>Beyer and Meyer looked at each other. There was a long silence and moderator Jordan Hoffman tried to provide them with an out, should they not want to answer. Meyer said she was just thinking of the most judicious way to answer (a paraphrase, I didn’t catch her exact response).

>It looked for all the world like two people caught dead to rights, trapped into finding an evasion from a simple reveal: Star Trek: Discovery will have a Muslim crewmember in its cast.

>Of course, the actual content of the answer provides no such reveal. “The spirit of inclusion is not just related to sexual orientation,” Beyer said, alluding to showrunner Bryan Fuller’s previous reveal that there would be a gay crewmember aboard the Discovery.

>So while proof is lacking, it now seems likely Star Trek: Discovery will have a Muslim crewmember. Like Uhura in the original Star Trek, representation of racial, political and religious minorities (in the United States) can be an important reminder of the more equitable, hopeful future ahead and a catalyst for young viewers unused to having role models on mainstream shows. In America’s current climate of Islamophobia, xenophobia and racism, a Muslim crewmember aboard a starship would

You saw it twice and didn't catch that part?

You're a fucking moron. Sorry, but it's true.

The canon is useless if it gets in the way of... Everything. Which is happening here. The series needs to grow with the fucking times if it is to survive.

>want to do cool shit
>cant

>can finally do cool shit
>wont

Canon autists need to kys themselves.

Magical native animism in harmless and fine.

Islam is the most intolerant socially regressive conservative religion on earth, it is against free speech, against the separation of religion and state, against minority rights, against the rule of secular democratic law, against the emancipation of women, it is literally inherently against everything Trek stands for.

And yet you have fan outfits producing better shit that's respectful of the canon that CBS is trying to shut down hard instead of partnering because they're fucking retarded.

>a single point
>all this text
Why?

As opposed to what? Christian America who SAYS they are for separation of church and state but are constantly ensuring that their presidents are Christians and repeating God Bless America and sending out its soldiers to fight the evil other religions and so on and so forth?

I thought humanity had moved beyond primitive superstition in the future?

THEN WHY DO A PREQUEL AT ALL?

By doing a prequel you are beholden to everything that comes later. Literally becomes 10x more complicated because you have to constantly check if what you're writing is consistent with what comes after.

If they want to grow and change and try new things they should have set it post Dominion war. It's not impossible to do with a little imagination and that way, you aren't stuck with the canon all the time.

A prequel is not a place you can 'try new things' without pissing off the people you're trying to appeal to. Prequels are always a mistake.

So, all that green text and it comes down to no, there is no confirmation of a muslim character in Star Trek.

Because of course there isn't.

>A prequel is not a place you can 'try new things' without pissing off the people you're trying to appeal to. Prequels are always a mistake.

I agree.

bump
i want some pics of this too.

Actually, while ferengi represent ruthless capitalism and greed they could also represent muslims with how they treat women as direct property and regard a clothed female with the same discomfort as devout muslims regard an uncovered woman.

A wild Muslim character appears in

TOS

Kirk dropkicks him into a wall and double hammerfist him on the back

TNG

Picard discusses with him for an hour (no, Mister Worf, we cannot just "torpedo" him) and convinces him to change his ways and become more tolerant of people's differences

DS9

Crazy Sisko puts the fear of the Black God in what is left of the Muslim's soul

VOY

Janeway uses timetravel and illegal Borg tech to kill the Muslim as a baby in the past in the most painful way possible.

ENT

All the crew laugh at the Muslim and T'Pol makes a logical epic burn about him and his beliefs.

If they have a muslim crewmember im definitely not watching it, not just because i hate muzzies but because itd literally make no sense, isnt the point of star trek that humans have evolved past the need for shit like religion? In ds9 they even go out of their way to show the differences between the secular federation and the religious bajorans

If you were'nt a brainless poltard and looked at the bigger picture, you would know that islam has a much more tolerant history than christianity does. You are factually wrong you moron

>>Putting the worst, most intolerant, religion on earth on the crew to virtue signal
>But there are pleanty of christian characters already in star trek user.
There aren't, and cringed

>it is literally inherently against everything Trek stands for
This comment is. Don't be fooled by media, just make friends with some moderates and find out for yourself. Or try to make friends with some radical christians and find out most of these thing you think are common for Islam are found in christianity as well.

Lets be honest guys, these probably arent even klingons, this is just some extra posting it, and 20 bucks says hes never watched an episode of star trek in his life and wouldnt know the difference between a romulan and a klingon.

In DS9 they even show the prophets are actual higher beings too. You may not call them gods but you do have to be respectful of their power. Also the orbs.

I thought the wars were fought for oil, not Christianity, I thought we all decided on that. Was it not fought for oil now? Was it not the crude, dude?

Pic related is what percentage of countries in the Islamic world think that Sharia should replace secular democratic law as the law of the land, that includes death sentence for homosexuality, stoning to death for sex before marriage, death sentence for leaving Islam, death sentence for insulting Muhammad or the Koran, cutting hands off thieves, etc.

It goes against everything trek stands for.

I, for one, welcome our fedemuslim overlords.

Thats a very good point, even when they have gods in trek they arent gods but higher life forms.
Even apollo turned out to be an alien in that TOS episode didnt he?

there's plenty of Jews & Christians who believe the goofy old testament nonsense like how traps can't get into heaven. That's Deuteronomy 23:1 if you want to look it up.

Maybe the muslim will be they worf of this show, but instead of reccommending a spread of torpedos he reccommends sharia law for every situation

Indeed sir, indeed.

Source is Pew Global Attitudes Project: The Worlds Muslims - Religion, Politics and Society. The most comprehensive polling of the Muslim world to date.

What if some people still want to live their religion, even if its just for the sake of tradition? Wouldn't excluding them also go against everything starfleed stands for?

Crusades, slavery, those things, I guess.

I wonder, do some people really don't know a single muslim who act as normal as your average christian or jew?

reminder
founders are literal gods and the dominion is a religion of peace.

>Or try to make friends with some radical christians and find out most of these thing you think are common for Islam are found in christianity as well

Really? I don't remember the part about executing people who leave the Church.