Tell me what I should think about this film

Tell me what I should think about this film

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OkEdyq3UE5M
youtube.com/watch?v=oSjOhdb0WHg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's the best

You're disgusted by the fascism and jingoism. You think war is horrible and should not be made light of.

>Tell me what I should think about this film
Carmen > Dizz

Hola amigo redditor

they must have fucked irl

Whoahhh..... So this is the power..... Of the RLM fanbase.....

a good flick

>Carmen > Dizz
Civilian detected
Get your fucking head straight

>they sucked his brains out

>Get your fucking head straight
I would rather bury it up Denise Richard's ass

kind of like Funny Games it's bad satire that works best as an unironic example of the thing it's satirizing

>we can't have Starship Troopers threads for a couple of months now because everyone will just be shart in mart because RLM said a thing
Fucking great

skip it not worth the time man

Imagine her puttin on a show for you with rico

redlettermedia just posted a fine review of it, its creative intent, its general reception at its release and in retrospect. u should check it out

>for a couple of months now
You mean forever
You can't say anything negative about the ST prequels without someone squealing "RLM", and how many fucking years ago did they do that?

explain to me why tv idolizes the beer swilling midwesterners

What thing are you referring to?

What did Funny Games satirize?

there wasn't anything wrong w/ their review like i mentioned here but agreed anyone who hasn't watched this movie ever day for 2+ decades deserves administrative punishment: ten lashes

bite down on this son, it helps. i know.

DUDE AUDIENCES LIKE VIOLENCE LMAO

It's my number 1 guilty pleasure movie and I can rewatch it non stop and not get tired of it. This along with Total Recall and Robocop are just so damn rewatchable.

satire of fascism, jingoism, militarism

Basically Verhoeven is the fucking king

Buenos Aires was an inside job

The bugs are a falseflag

Diz>Carmen

whoever disagres should go with the first wave

hard to imagine how much coke has been thru that dude's nose

> a fascist militaristic society will bring equality and diversity to the galaxy along with FTL travel and incredible galactic vacation destinations like Zegama Beach
Wait isn't this what leftists want?

Friendly reminder Buenos Aires was a false flag
>asteroids can't melt steel beams

No, leftists want redistribution of wealth.

actually this
they have progress
they are tolerant (multiracial society)
they've colonized space

but where's religion?

nah, after the future-jews encourage a destablizing war with the bugs the leftists would've invited bug refugees into our homes to give our women the BBugC

Mormons caused the war by making an outpost in the bug zone

ITS A GOOD DAY TO DIE
WHEN YOU KNOW THE REASON WHY
CITIZENS, WE FIGHT FOR WHAT IS RIGHT
A NOBLE SACRIFICE
WHEN DUTY CALLS I'LL PAY THE PRICE
FOR THE FEDERATION I WILL GIVE MY LIFE

As it turns out, superstar internet comedians RedLetterMedia just did! You can check out their new hilarious video in the following link :
youtube.com/watch?v=OkEdyq3UE5M

Make sure to like, comment and subscribe!

he spilled some on his shirt

>wanting to bed anyone who's had unprotected sex with Charlie Sheen

forgot about them
so this is basically a paradise where everyone have a purpose in society?

and they're trying to make it something bad...

According to non-citizen scum. It was space plasma an asteroid sent into orbit by bugs.

>hurr durr starship troopers is FASCIST!

You know serving in the military wasn't the only way to become a citizen, right? It's just the path that Johnny and company decided to take. You can go be a teacher or a scientist or plenty of other jobs, so long as you're doing something to contribute to society.

The last time we tried this our medicine,science and technology fields advances roughly 50 years forward in period of 5 years

>so long as you're doing something to contribute to society.
How about sperm donor? Could I jerk off for the good of the Federation?

BUENOS AIRES WAS A FALSE FLAG BY OUR EVIL GOVERNMENT, #BUGLIVESMATTER

>You can go be a teacher or a scientist or plenty of other jobs, so long as you're doing something to contribute to society.

You had to serve in the military in some capacity, but you didn't have to be involved in combat directly.

youtube.com/watch?v=oSjOhdb0WHg

No, it was just any type of federal service, IIRC. Not just military.

You cannot vote or hold public office unless you have military service.
Regardless of your comfort level in a post-scarcity society, you're a literal second class citizen.

How can a man age so well?

Shame about the career 'n' all

In the book service wasn't necessarily military. Or maybe that's what the writer said at a later date.

Well in the movie it seems like depending on your grades and interests the Federation chooses your role. NPH's character chooses something else but instead he gets selected for Games and Theory or something like that

So you prefer a society where every retard is entitled to certain rights just because he's born?

This, last I saw him was in one generic horror movie about a ghost pointing to a murderer. And he wasn't even important in that movie, he just tagged along a bit with the protag and got killed.

it was a joyless society void of any human ambitions outside of rabid competition with each other and with ayyliums a zillion miles away who don't start shit. i think the only in-universe work of art you see is like the tattoos they get of their platoon

I'm from Buenos Aries and I say watch em all

>Carmen > Dizz
you know, Richards looks like shit now while Dina Meyers still looks pretty great.

in all seriousness for what purpose do you need art for?

The book is probably one of the best books I've ever read. I really like Heinlein's vision of society.

The film is not kino and has virtually nothing to do with the book, but that's a good thing because the movie Starship Troopers is classicly Verhoeven and easily one of the best not-serious movies of all time.

It's a 10/10 flick.

Also, Carmen is the only real Starfu, if you like Diz you're a fucking queer.

They have future football, dances, live music and vacations to places on other planets. It's not all bad you just need to be willing to serve the Federation.

Yes I do, in the interest of liberty and freedom.
You probably don't agree, but I respect your opinion too.

I like Verhoeven's over-the-top sense of satire, but he's an uber-libcuck through and through. He said he barely read a few pages of Starship Troopers before throwing it away and just making the movie anyway.

It's a fun flick, like you said, but there's literally nothing wrong with limited suffrage

Creative endeavors to understand ourselves and communicate thoughts and ideas for the betterment of everyone. Art isn't just sweeping aluminum statues in a bank plaza, its exchange of feelings and ideas.
We're actually discussing impact from a work of art right now.

passive crowd control

do you think artistic expression is necessary for human being to exist?
moreso there are other types of art other than expressionism.
and on top of that more than few people are expressing themselves through science or exercises other than art.

art and freethinking leads to degeneracy

>t i'm not a nazi

how should it work?

To provoke thinking and discourse. Like what is happening right now as we discuss a film on an imageboard dedicated to discussing film and tv (a medium of art).

You might reply that 'shitposting is not discourse' but I'd counter that not all discourse is shitposting. And although 'rlly makes u think' is a dank meme, the purpose of art is to make you think. It's stimulating and engaging and improves humanity as a whole. You might be a HFY fascist, but if you think humans are truly the best thing ever and that no other species should exist (other than those specifically in our enslavement for food, textiles and other industrious needs), you have to acknowledge that art has taken a major role in humanity's evolution.

ok but what if you have already an unified society? what the discourse would give you? do you think that questioning the status-quo will add anything to the table?

>on top of that more than few people are expressing themselves through science or exercises other than art.
Science is strictly and by definition not art. Science is the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. It is objectively speaking not art.

so you are stating that one can only express oneself through art?

the fucker lived in the basement all along
what fucking nonsense

Satire angle aside, it's interesting that Mike compares Starship Troopers to Star Trek because out of the two, Starship Troopers shows a more realistic portrayal of how human society would be (and have to be) for them to be driven to become space faring and colonize other planets. Humans develop in the face of antagonizing forces, not through pure "science and reason", because without that adversarial drive people become complacent and decadent.

get ready for autistic arty fucking feels nonsense

Others can only encourage you to be analytical and critical, but they cannot draw the conclusions for you. Only you can think for yourself.

>get ready for autistic arty fucking feels nonsense
>saying this on a film board

you woldnt have this movie without art

In the Star Trek universe didn't the Earth fall into horrible earth wide war the nearly destroyed humanity too? It's one of the reasons the Federation (in ST) avoids war.

>Yes I do, in the interest of liberty and freedom.

What's the difference between the two?

>being pragmatic is cool, man, I'm just like Sheldon from TBBT

Challenging the status quo combats stagnation. Imagine you're in the 1800s and you asked the average normie how they think they could get around quicker. They'd probably ask you to breed faster horses or build carriages with less friction. Instead someone invented the automobile. I'm not implying that the invention of the automobile was the direct result of art but my point is if you aren't consistently questioning and seeking the next horizon through a variety of means, art and science included, you stagnate as a whole and get nowhere.

That's really the point though, Verhoeven is conflicted about fascism and ST is his way of trying to work through his conflict. He hates fascism because fascism is inherently violent (by violent, I mean dynamic conflict, either within the individual or towards the enemy) and violence is something that still haunts him from his youth; but at the same time, he envies fascism for it's order, it's strength, it's veneration for the beautiful (Verhoeven is in love with beauty, see his previous film with their gorgeous cinematography). He is terrified of conformity and the subjugation of the individual to the needs of the commune, but his desire to see human equality and peace moves him towards that very same tendency towards the human as commune.

It's a lot more deep that "Ha, fuck totalitarianism". This is a man who has read The Republic and The Open Society and It's Enemies, and he's trying to show that the best parts of fascism are also it's most horrifying. It's up there with Pi for one of the most thought provoking movies of the 90's.

Speaking generally, Freedom usually means to be free from something, whereas Liberty usually means to be free to do something, although both refer to the quality or state of being free. Jefferson's use of the terms almost always reflected those meanings.

Problem with a bar for suffrage is someone has to set that bar. Those setting the bar will have interests. In the usa felons cant vote which is fucking crazy. It is an overt dig at the poor

I wasn't stating that explicitly but I would argue that all self expression is artistic in one way or another. My point was that science is by definition not self expression. Real science has nothing to do with the opinion or the feelings of the individual. Science is observable and repeatable by any person of any background. You can write 1+1=2 in any language and it is unarguably true.

You can't 'express yourself through science' because the results you produce have nothing to do with you as an individual, they should be universal truths.

>Challenging the status quo combats stagnation
Ok but the stagnation is what we get after everything will be in it's place.
>Imagine you're in the 1800s
James Watt claimed his steam engine around 1780s iirc.
but nevertheless artificial motion isn't a work of art...

not to mention that guy from alexandria around 2000 years ago

>everyone always talks about Denise or Dina
>no-one remember muh waifu was in this

in this case
science =-objective truth
art = subjective truth

also:
> My point was that science is by definition not self expression. Real science has nothing to do with the opinion or the feelings of the individual. Science is observable and repeatable by any person of any background.

if so how come only one man created telephone if anyone can do that?

Yeah but humans will only stop fighting each other when there is an external threat to deal with

good for you, that means she can stay your waifu and only yours

But the Athenians knew the fundamental truth that the only people who can act as good stewards of the state are those who have a direct involvement in the state by protecting it and holding property. If you allow people who have zero involvement in the state - they do not protect it and they do not hold property - then they have no stake in that society, and will vote for measures that will enrich them but which will damage the ability of the state to survive.

You can see this today in democracies - those who do not defend the state and those who have no stake in the society (women, the poor) consistently vote for measures that impoverish the state and strip it of it's defences. Women consistently vote for measures against defence, they consistently vote for public benefits, they consistently vote for measures that overall fundamentally harm society.

The whole thing creates disorder, chaos and ruination. And Verhoeven sort of agrees when he says through Ironside's character about the collapse of the 21st century and the seizure of power by veterans. This can't just be waved away by "Oh, it's just propaganda", because the society in ST IS stable, IS prosperous, IS able to defend itself in direct contrast to the horrible situation we are in now.

what?

Panda pop

But fascism glorifies art though. It's a cliche at this point about Hitler and Wagner.

>Mike gives a thoughtful analysis sprinkled with personal anecdotes
>Jay cant stop laughing and interrupting like a little child

So when will Mike review movies on his own?

Probably looking for Kolob

>the society in ST IS stable, IS prosperous, IS able to defend itself in direct contrast to the horrible situation we are in now
The society in Starship Troopers is a FUCKING FICTIONAL SOCIETY

Name one functional fascist society that exists right now. I'll wait.

Women pay taxes, i think theyre just dumb, like men, but in a different direction. We also dont see enough of the world, we dont see future earths ghettos. Rico is implicitly, well, explicitly, privileged as hell.

Your argument relies on too many vague beliefs. Poor people don't spawn out of the earth just to spite society, women can be conservative and authoritarian, people reject society instead of being rejected by it and so on. It's typical fascist thinking to externalise all the downsides and failings.

>This can't just be waved away by "Oh, it's just propaganda
It can be negated by pointing out that it's a work of fiction, and it's easy to poke holes into it by becoming conscious of its framing. Much is omitted, obviously due to runtime concerns, but WHAT is omitted is a choice and that comes into play with the movie taking place within a media platform constantly pushing propaganda videos to the viewer.

A true redpilled movie. Militarism, war and conquest are the key for advancing in history. Don't mind the libturd idiorts that keep saying it's a satire, as usual they don't know what they are talking about

I'd say if you shoot a nuke down a bug hole, you got a lot of dead bugs.