What is the theme of Star Wars? Like what is it actually about underneath all the lightsabers and spaceships...

What is the theme of Star Wars? Like what is it actually about underneath all the lightsabers and spaceships. What is the moral takeaway from A New Hope?

It's pretty simple really. It's good vs evil. What each represents and how each comes to be. The strengths and weaknesses of both and why ultimately we should put our faith in good rather than evil.

Just read Propp and Campbell, it's a very basic monomyth

Don't... don't... look for symbolism in Star Wars, it's a silly child's movie.

The monomyth user.

Vietnam war
srs

Faith and human spirit over technology.

Courage and hope that good will win against evil in the face of overwhelming odds.

The struggle for America's soul in the post-vietnam era.

Are we an evil empire or are we plucky Rebels?

The failure to fight for the right reasons.

if you can't understand the simple themes in star wars, you should just kill yourself

I fucking hate this website sometimes

Star Wars is quite misunderstood.

Faith

Have faith (in yourself -Luke and the torpedo- in others -Han coming back for Luke and Leia- in Destiny -the Force- etc.)

Faith is the main theme. The Empire lost Faith (relaying on tech intead of "the old ways") and were beaten for it (Luke not using tech for the shot was a big thing). That's why vader was so dangerous, he still had faith, but lost some of it when he went evil and robotic and worked with people with no faith.

it was an anti-nazi movie
and now with drumpf in the office it's more reliable than ever

Space Opera

Fascism is bad.

The overarching narrative of Star Wars was inspired by the idea proposed in Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With a Thousand Faces".

Family

it's about donald trump

Yep. The Ewoks are Charlie.

why, it's my peenus weanus of course :)

hahah! :D

it's my weeeeeenus peanus :) hahah

my answer is, of course, my peanus weenus :D

hahaha!

/thread

That's not the theme, that's the story structure.

The new version of the monomith (Blake Snyder's BS2, used in 96% of hollywood movies since the early 90s) says you should state the theme in the first 10 minutes of the movie, but in subtle manner.

>Theme Stated (happens during the Set-up) – What your story is about; the message, the truth. Usually, it is spoken to the main character or in their presence, but they don’t understand the truth…not until they have some personal experience and context to support it.

The theme iself will be discussed later in greater depths

>B Story – This is when there’s a discussion about the Theme – the nugget of truth. Usually, this discussion is between the main character and the love interest (the mentor, in ANH's case). So, the B Story is usually called the “love story”.

>you should state the theme in the first 10 minutes of the movie
remember the first shot of the original Star Wars? The small rebel ship running way from the giant Star Destroyer? Now, remember how the entire trilogy is about those rebels fighting and in the end beating the empire?
Basically what said

Found the pleb.

Incest isn't so bad

The underlying them is believe in yourself and you can achieve great things even if you're a just dirt farmer up against a Star of Death. Have (a new) hope.