Mfw sc*ndinavians think they have culture when they don't even have a national epic

>mfw sc*ndinavians think they have culture when they don't even have a national epic

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prose_Edda
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Monetary_Union
sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandavágsstenen
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Inb4 anime posters
>
>
>

>mfw scandinavian says he has culture

Scandinavians don't have culture, they just make use of ours. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prose_Edda

Are Finns like the paddies of the North?

They don't? I thought they had all sorts of sagas.

>leave Scandi
>take all sagas and re-tell them over and over at your shitty rock island
>"WE'RE THE REAL DEAL"

No, they have some bedtime stories about gods, but no national epic

Icelandanon is right though. They're the ones that have the culture sc*ndis claim to have.

umm try again sweetie :)

>Icelandanon is right though. They're the ones that have the culture sc*ndis claim to have.

Taking all the sagas about what happened to us Scandis doesn't mean they have it.
They were cucks leaving war to live in "peace"

They're the actual descendants of the previously scandinavic culture. Maybe you shouldn't have warred so much and remembered to tell and make up sagas too.

Looks a little like home, only a little shittier.

I thought they have Beowulf and the Saga of the Volsungs?

>they have Beowulf
>they

>mfw I'm scandinavian

What? It's a Swedish and Danish legend

SC*ndis disgust me desu

"Beowulf is an Old English epic poem consisting of 3,182 alliterative lines. It may be the oldest surviving long poem in Old English and is commonly cited as one of the most important works of Old English literature"

- Wiki

Beowulf is a Danish-Swedish legend

The Angles and Saxons were the first to actually write it down

>SC*ndis disgust me desu
>italian

a national ebin? :---D X--D

>What? It's a Swedish and Danish legend
It's really Anglo-Saxon. Beowulf just supposedly is in Denmark and from Gottland and Finn the King is mentioned in it. There is some belief that Beowulf is actually from around Friesland and it takes places in Britain (some of the details don't fit Denmark at all but nicely fit England).

Even italians are better really. Sc*andis combine all the worse things in Europe.

Most of the sagas that fucker Snorri wrote down deal with Scandinavians though. Thanks for retelling our stories and history, I suppose.

The story is set in Denmark and Sweden, the original author is unknown

>finnish national epic is a fairy tale written in early 19th century
>still more relevant than scadinavian "legends"
that christianity thing really did a number on that peninsula didnt it

>Even italians are better really. Sc*andis combine all the worse things in Europe.
>Finnish

Shut the fuck up

Beowulf?

>saying "Anglo-Saxon" rather than "Old English"

*cringe*

>Don't write something
>Someone else puts it into verse, physically writes it down, binds it into tomes doing 100% of the work
>Literally forget it over time as you never wrote it down
>I-it's mine! I was totally thinking about writing it...I think...

Scandinavian culture in a nutshell, anyway besides the Edda, all of the Sagas and so on (the majority of Norse literature) were fully written here from concept to book about events around Icelanders in Iceland (and Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Estonia) in Icelandic. Scandinavians either didn't do anything like this because

A. The monarchical oppression left most of them illiterate while the democratic Icelandic commonwealth thrived
B. They didn't do anything particularly interesting
C. They were too lazy/dumb

Any one of these reasons is just as hella sad imho

the Kalevala is a translation of a medieval Greek epic called Καλός Βόλος, i.e. beautiful pebble, it's the story of a boy looking for the most beautiful pebble in the world's beaches

big if true

actually kalevala is ancient and was an inspiration to many great works throughout the history such as iliad, odyssey, macbeth and gilgamesh

That's ridiculous

Don't be rude, dude. Let's not forget the only reason the Eddas were written were to schmoozy up to the king of Denmark

>the finnish national epic was made by Elias Lönnrot
Hmmmm

Hah! This.

>finns are undocumented
>now under swedish rule
>wtf are these names these wont do t. swedish magistrate
>swedifies names in registry, some finns adopt them, some just ignore the official documents and keep using old ones
wow. REALLY made me think

How do you even define ''culture''?

Finns do have culture and totally different history than scandis. Scandinavian culture is mostly just swedish shit. In the past scandis even had their own monetary union. Scandinavia is just one country.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Monetary_Union

Who cares?

Yeah, I remember reading about that. Shame it stopped. We could have joined in too. Instead we're stuck with e*ros

>The english national epic takes place in Scandinavia and is not about englishmen in any way
What did they mean with this?

implying we need a national epic when theaters around the world are performing Ibsen plays on a regular basis, that's a bigger cultural impact

>swedish sagas were written in iceland

Sounds gay

Where's all the monster slaying and gods turning into cows to pick up chicks?

*Norway

And no, Snorri Sturluson was on the other „side“. He was actually murdered by men loyal to the king of Norway.

Don't just assume historical things, they are much more nuanced than you would think. The swearing of allegiance to Norway was preceded by a civil war of independencists/republicans vs Norwegian royalists. There was nothing normal about it and I'm sick of Norwegians calling Iceland Norwegian clay or little Norway it's fucking insulting, Scandinavians did nothing but attack, undermine and exploit us and now they act like all of our accomplishments (Discovery of Greenland and America, literature etc.) Are theirs, they call Leifur Eiríksson „Leif Eriksen“ and call him Norwegian.. even though Norway didn't exist as a state back then while the Icelandic commonwealth did and he was born in Iceland...

>finns steal their stories from Karelia
>then they judge us for stealing our stories from Iceland

There is one, it's called Frithiofs saga. It was written by a swedish author, based on an icelandic saga and takes place in Norway. I think it was meant to be a national epic for all of Scandinavia.

icelandic is a dialect of swedish?

It is basically old norse, what all scandinavians used to talk

Karelia is a part of Finland though

Kalevala is quite plagiarized, they made it seem like those were just magical heroes.

why has finnish retained words from old norse while swedish has bastardized them throughout years of "language reforms". is swedish a dialect of finnish??

this

East Karelia has never been a part of Finland and that is where the stories came from

Not as bad as danish has.

didnt finland lose ww2

I am pretty sure we have more words from old norse and you got those words through us anyway

we're talking about words of old norse not words from old norse.

We got Heimskringla though. Atleast its not some shit made up by a Swede in the 1900s like kalevalevala

Maybe not officially, but it is culturally finnish.

A Norwegian discovered Greenland though, Erik raude

And Iceland is culturally Scandinavian

No wait Gunnbjorn Ulvsson did that. Still, a Norwegian who settled on s

If you put it that way, then Scandinavia isn't culturally scandinavian.

Still, he was a Norwegian who later settled on Iceland*

wut

who cares about snow nigger stories anyway? it's hilarious how such a big region of europe manage to be the most pathetic and useless in every capacity throughout its entire history.
truly the "master race" top kek

We also have Peer Gynt which is arguably more famous than Finland and Icelands entire combined literature.

>who cares about snow nigger stories anyway?
Op, apparently. I'd sooner point to the statistically unparalleled success the nordics have had in economic and societal wellbeing than having legends written down in the 900s. That's just playing into the anglo way of looking at culture.

Never forget that you were once part of that success

lel thought Peer Gynt was only that composition. Surely not famous than Kalevala, with the Tolkien and all

not a swede hun xx

Scandis are hansard rapebabies who were cucked out of their viking culture by the eternal herring merchant.

>Slovenia
Is that the czech one or is it the tiny balkan one?

First, I'm swedish, second, I was talking about the success of the nordics in the 1950s and onwards, which Finland has been, and is a part of.

the tiny balkan one

we've got a national epic of our own though, even if it only dates back only to the 1830s. It concerns the violent christianisation of our territory by the Duke of Carinthia in the 9th century and ends with the pagan hero's conversion to xtianity at the urging of his unrequited love, whereupon they both enter the monastic life. None of the events in the epic actually happened. Thank you for your attention.

Ibsen's Peer Gynt

there are sections of the book that take place in frisia, and refer to them as foreigners. most of the book also takes place on sjaelland.

>the finnish national epic
>written by a swede, to exactly no one's surprise
How does it feel to know that everything non-nordics will ever know of finland was made by cai-göran?

there are countless adaptations, theaters around the world are always acting out this play, Grieg composed music for it which became very popular ("In the hall of the mountain king" for example) and the play influenced many foreign, famous artists

But you WERE Norwegians back then, even if your fathers and mothers left Norway to start a new country they would still be "Norwegian" really...

>even though Norway didn't exist as a state back then
It did.

>while the Icelandic commonwealth did
Yeah... with like 5000 "Norwegians"

See what I mean? Norwegians always do this..

Yes. It wasn't a bad effort from our part but ultimately we lost.

looks like poo land

norway didn't exist as a concept back then.

Norway was one kingdom back then, so yes it did exist.

No one called themselves norwegian back then.

They said eastmen or their kingdom eg rogaland.

Eastmen? They said 'Norðvegr' (which is pretty much the same we say today).

In a thousand years time the only Italian culture people will look back upon is the Godfather movies and Super Mario.

sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandavágsstenen

Well... of course they mentioned their local area and not 'norway' because they were already standing on Norwegian clay.

What did he mean by this?

>even if your fathers and mothers left Norway to start a new country they would still be "Norwegian" really.
>but Norwegian-Americans are muh heritage 53%ers

can't have it both ways you sophist fuck

But, it's literally the same thing.

Norwegians moing to Iceland are still Norwegians.
Norwegians moving to America are still Norwegians.

You said the parents though, someone whose parents were Norwegian-born but who was not born in Norway themselves isn't Norwegian and especially if they did not grow up there is not Norwegian, and I know Norwegians wouldn't consider them Norwegian

so how are they Norwegians when Iceland was more or less an established state?

>so how are they Norwegians when Iceland was more or less an established state?

It's like if some spaced out Americans went to some island to create a new country... they would still just be Americans to everyone else, and so would their children be.