They Shoot Pictures Don't They: Top 1000 - February 2017 (12th edition)

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php

TSPDT’s Top 10 Greatest Films
1. Citizen Kane (1)
2. Vertigo (2)
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey (3)
4. The Rules of the Game (5)
5. Tokyo Story (4)
6. 8½ (7)
7. The Godfather (6)
8. Sunrise (8)
9. The Searchers (10)
10. The Seven Samurai (9)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_wsUzJUPo
theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_sources.htm
rateyourmusic.com/films/chart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=film&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&limit=none&countries=
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Same top ten as always. If you haven't seen these by now you should just give up. Even teenagers have maxed out the top 100. How big of a pleb must you be to have not even seen the top 250?

everyone and their mothers have most of this shit in their top 10s or whatever. do people really enjoy 8 1/2 that much or any of this other shit to put it in a top ten. fuck.
fuck citizen kane and fuck vertigo. whooa cool effects amirite. fuck ozu old dead nigga although his movies are good i do not believe some 20 y/o hipster faggot legitimately thinks tokyo story is some marvel. 2001? pleb masquerading as a patrician.

if you want to try dispute this, post your top ten and give us a laugh

Post yours, wise man.

The Godfather really bugs me in that list. It's not a good film!!!

That's a really bad list

after you, big guy

>2. Vertigo
I don't get the love critics have for this movie and I say this as a Hitchcock fan, it's good but it's nowhere near the top 10 or 50 films of all time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"french"

The Tales of Hoffmann is on this edition! Offenbach is back, baby!

Thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_wsUzJUPo

So pretty much every top 10 "normie patrician" edition list.

the raw top 10 isn't that interesting because, what with it attempting to be an aggregate of all lists across time, it just doesn't change. What is interesting is the fluctuations in the top 250 and so on. It's weird when one year suddenly some semi-esoteric film from 1967 finds itself into the top 250 or climbs 200 places or whatever. You find yourself wondering what happened there. Similarly what is great about this website is the guy does a break down of all the new film releases which managed to enter the, sort of, critical canon. Similarly looking through the lower end of the top 1000 of the 21st century will lead you to some gems you probably hadn't encountered before.

The problem I have with this site is that it's not transparent. He doesn't specify exactly how individual lists are aggregated and weighted to create the final meta-list.

>ameriplebs trying to do opera

kek

So basically the 00s are finally making presence after a decade.

I didn't expect to see There Will Be Blood and Brokeback Mountain jumping that high, but im okay cuse they are both classics of 00s anyways. Theres lots of undeserving old movies in this list so its good to see some good recent ones doing well.

The Dark Knight is climbing lots of rows, Sup Forums will rejoice this. it'll reach top 500 soon as well.

Lots of Kubricks as always. Not much change in the top 100.

I'm sure there's more details, ill look up later.

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_sources.htm
?

They probably wait a while to see if the films still hold up or if it was just hype.

oh sorry I misread you. Yeah sure that's true. I think the guy has said that the more "canonical" polls like sight and sound every 10 years have the heaviest weighting. I think some years as well he says he changes his formula or rating system.

Yes, if a movie drops out it should also dropp out of the list considerably. Unless he's also counting previous lists then no they will stay there forever even though they are not that good/dated as hell. He should definitely change formula if thats the case.

Also, no Cuaron besides one of his movies is surprising at least for me, children of men was deemed as one of the best of the 00s and since its so technical i thought the presence in top 300 was assumed. Gravity shouldn't be too far below either but i can understand because it's relatively new. all of these movies will crack top 300 one day I'm sure

>64 - Mulholland Drive

I'd say it's still a 5 star film but probably on the lower end of 5 stars

Well it's much easier to judge a film in a retrospective fashion. You can see if it holds up or was just fad

>1. Citizen Kane (1)
Stopped reading there
>2. Vertigo (2)
Stopped reading there
>3. 2001: A Space Odyssey (3)
Stopped reading there
>4. The Rules of the Game (5)
Stopped reading there
>5. Tokyo Story (4)
Stopped reading there
>6. 8½ (7)
Stopped reading there
>7. The Godfather (6)
Stopped reading there
>8. Sunrise (8)
Stopped reading there
>9. The Searchers (10)
Stopped reading there
>10. The Seven Samurai (9)
Stopped reading there

They forgot Black Dynamite though

All of these are good flicks

However Its ridiculous that they keep switching 1 position and then going back every year as though no other movie can possible get in and these are the canonical top 10. I mean at least throw the number 11 in the mix as well

The list overall is pretty good and one of the best "fuckhuge number of best films". It's better to look for the middle of the list instead of the top 10 though.

Οι kυνηγοί
Gardiens de phare
さらば箱舟’
Кaмeнь
La glace à trois faces
Matka Joanna od aniolów
Živjeti za inat
J'entends plus la guitare
Бeлыe гopы
Ryakushô renzoku shasatsuma

now you

What's the deal with The Searchers?

>A nip movie in moonrunes and the other one in roman alphabet

What are you even doing

Now for the 6000 updated lists on Letterboxd

They needed a western to even out the genres.

It's an exceptional film

>capeshitters of neo-Sup Forums mad at this list
it's a perfectly adequate introduction to film you autists, if you don't at least appreciate all the films in the top 100 on some level then you don't like cinema

le Duke in the doors

Ive only seen 2001 faggit and im literally an expert on movies

Nice fierce hook friendo but you forgot the bait. The placement of these is all wrong.

Im having a hard time believing Taxi Driver belongs top 20, maybe below 60 and near the rear end of a top

Dogstar Man should be top 20 but its nowhere to be found.

And After Hours is true scorsese kino but it isn't even top 1000, into the bin it goes!

i dont even need to bother after seeing that abomination of a list. back to plebbit for you

these '10 greatest movies' does not equate to an 'adequate introduction to film' you fucking mong

>A visual document of the life of serial killer Norio Nagayama, focusing entirely of his living environment with some narrated biographical information.
Haven't seen it but that sounds like a good film.

>67: Mulholland Dr

literally stopped reading literally there

Psueds leave

I won't deny thaat, but is it the 9th greatest film of all times though?

Which is the best list?
rateyourmusic.com/films/chart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=film&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&limit=none&countries=