JUST FUCK MY SITE UP

>As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb
How is getting rid of the message boards meant to make the site better? It will simply make the site not worthy to go there at all apart from reading the occasional blurb about a film and whether you should watch it or not.

This is a horrible decision to get rid of the entire message boards

>This includes the Private Message system
Oh so we can't even private message other users?

For fuck sake

Other urls found in this thread:

thechamcham.blogspot.com/
tracker.archiveteam.org/imdb/
themoviedb.org/en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It will kill imdb, everything else is on wiki

pretty much
I just found out about it because I went to the boards after watching they live and there were some guys talking about how "the boards were the glasses and they're taking them away", lol

the funniest part is that they claim in that post that IMDB users now post on the IMDB facebook site as their primary way of interacting about movies.

who the fuck are they trying to kid with that bullshit?

fuck IMDB and fuck Amazon.

>the funniest part is that they claim in that post that IMDB users now post on the IMDB facebook site as their primary way of interacting about movies.
>who the fuck are they trying to kid with that bullshit?
ikr, facebook sucks for any organized discussion
even groups are shit
also fuck off with trying to get my name

It's OK thechamcham.blogspot.com

Sup Forums will be kill soon

for 11 years every single time I've watched a movie or tv show I've gone to their boards to see what people were saying about it, no matter how obscure or ancient, someone would be posting about it

theres no other site that has a message board for literally every piece of media ever published, and they're not even going to archive it so you can still read the discussions for older movies, what a waste

fuck I'm mad, and you just know it's because they got bought by amazon and they dont want negative things being posted about the media they sell and produce

The IMDB Diaspora will flood movie sites with autism.

As if every site couldn't get worse.

> imdb ads == top of page
> long forum threads == scroll down below ads
> amount of $ to spend paying ad team to rewrite ads to be persistent through every thread > amnt of $ theyd make from the 10 ppl who actually bother reading that far down
> which is in turn < amnt of $ to maintain their garbage forum code
soh theres literally noh reason to keep them

>authoritative source
lolwut?

>disable the message board
good riddance, I hope gamefags is next

They do have a point.

Look at the discussions there. It's just less vile than Sup Forums.

At least tasty memes can come from Sup Forums

This is retarded, considering some classic and obscure films had pretty decent discussions sometimes on their dedicated message boards. Who was responsible for this decision?

Have no fear, we have Brendan for years

thechamcham.blogspot.com/

seconding this. there's a bunch of things i've found discussion about on there that i've never, ever seen mentioned on any other tv/film site, this board included. can't someone make a new site that creates a board for each imdb entry?

Do they think the trivia and goofs are THAT interesting? Wikipedia has a much better layout for cast names and plot summary. The autisctic forum ramblings were the only reason I ever visited Imdb

>IS HE GAY???
>stupid movie!!
>Looks like....
>Most overrated movie of the Year - BORING
>Reminded me of.....

The Trivia is basically the only thing left.

The Trivia is shit but I still love it.

>Actor Y was considered for the role of X

Someone wrote his name down on a napkin or what?

The studios want to control the narrative. Free speech online is nearly dead (and will be as soon as hiromoot decides to sell the site).

How do they know that more than 125 million users don't like the message boards?

They don't. It's a thinly veiled ploy to boost advertising revenue (by forcing people onto social media) and to please their corporate overlords in Hollywood.

TCM Message boards are pretty good but kind of slow.

Tmdb will probably replace it soon, too bad it has a terrible interface.

Oh, it doesn't even have boards. Never fucking mind. Why does that site even exist?

>theres no other site that has a message board for literally every piece of media ever published
This so much
I don't think they even really understand what kind of a fucking forum they had, if anything they should pour more money in to the forum aspect of IMDB, it's the one thing that really sets them apart from other sites and the user interface is from early 00s or something

it's not about that. it's about all the wrong think that was posted on the message boards. we see it all over the place. all sites are starting to remove message boards and comments. the one thing the left hates more than anything is anonymity. how else are they going to get you to think correctly if they can't attack you as a person because we know damn well their beliefs don't hold up

the 20th can't come soon enough

>theres no other site that has a message board for literally every piece of media ever published, and they're not even going to archive it so you can still read the discussions for older movies, what a waste
Yeah, this is why it's such a retarded thing to do. It was unique.
They could've just killed the "forum" section with all the general boards and left the boards for individual pages intact.

They don't want to bother moderating the countless shitposts anymore.

Probably also has something to do with movie studios paying shills to increase the score and post positive reviews.

IMDb wants some of the cash spent on that by studios to go into their pockets as well.

And Trump will save your internet free speech and anonymity, right? Get real.

Who said anything even remotely concerning Trump?

bannon will

because legit forums aren't allowed to exist in the age of social media.

>they're not even going to archive it so you can still read the discussions for older movies, what a waste

A ton of information and interesting stuff will disappear permanently.

>how else are they going to get you to think correctly if they can't attack you as a person because we know damn well their beliefs don't hold up

You just hit the nail on the head

Really hate the direction the internet is taking. Has been going on for awhile now and it's just getting worse.

this is the reason. They can control reviews through bot-upvoting paid shill reviews, but they can't keep a 24/7 eye on actual discussion. Only thing they can do is to just shut down discussion completely, so people wont notice the contrast between completely uncritical reviews and everyone taking a giant shit on their product on the forums.

Who cares if the decision shuts down ancient, hardcore fan communities.

just give us all your fucking money and personal information including where you are at all times user

you literally have no reason to refuse

>implying it's ever a good thing to give the retarded plebs a public platform to spout their uninformed, inane opinions

Good riddance.

i'm not at all religious, but if there was a mark of the beast it would be smart phones

No, it would be the literal microchip implants people are now getting to help them speed up cashless transactions and security clearances.

atleast those don't have shitty mobile games on them

>implying it won't be a matter of time till we can play games off them
Brain graphics is the best graphics bro.

Jesus dude be a little less partisan. Leaf here, other user was probably a brit. Get over your ass pain. Appreciate the weaknesses of your own position objectively and work towards fixing them or don't, fuck it.

>How is getting rid of the message boards meant to make the site better?
Same way removing a malignant tumor does

Will Brandon move to Sup Forums and become a tripfriend?

Literally why do we have so many threads on this? IMDB has always been shit.

I agree with this, to be honest

It's funny because the "interesting discussion" of the lesser known films on IMDB, if you check, are mostly from years ago, and with replies also years apart. And even if exist, they are drowned out by posts of these types I have little doubt IMDB is the place with the least intelligent people hanging out, even worse than youtube,reddit or Sup Forums, because youtube at least has some measure of moderation in their platform, where at IMDB dumb people are actually encouraged to voice their opinions as lengthy and frequently as possible since who is gonna moderate every single forum of all those popular tvshow and movie? off topic discussions are the norm in the popular boards. The most hilarious thing is, just look at GoT or Walking dead board, that place is much like Sup Forums where almost everyone is a tripfag with a "cool" identity and things to prove to other strangers by getting into argument over pretty much every trivial thing unrelated to any tvshow or film and there are literally popularity contest threads (I'm not kidding). On Sup Forums posts that are considered ironic are also copied there but as a mean of showing how interesting the posters are.It's bizarre and funny

Everytime I watch something even remotely popular, I'd have to refrain from looking at the forum. And once in a blue moon if someone pointed out they are being stupid they would start claiming to be "troll" and some has like 50 sock accounts after being ignored, so people can't simply mute them, ironically, that led to the new wave of posters being butthurt and notified the site owner and ultimately led to the decision to shutdown the board. Basically this whole thing is just retarded autists shoot themselves in the legs. I mean what kind of people "don't know what to do with their life" when a internet message board is shutdown? they can't possibly be the majority of site traffic. I use IMDB since 2008 and have like 10 posts in the forum.

It's not a secret that many of them post here. Especially the "cool" posters from popular boards like GoT. It makes sense. On Sup Forums they are the avarage autistic user but at IMDB they are the popular intelligent connoisseurs with the most interesting opinions

It was so easy to spot the studio plant reviews. If you clicked on their accounts they usually had only one film review and it was ten out of ten stars.

Oh no, now where will I read my "is he gay" threads

This.

The only reason why anyone goes to RT is because it cemented itself as the top review set due to Google's aggregate system being easy to pay off. Previously they had a massive forum that was systemically killed off through obscuring access to it. You literally couldn't get to it from the frontpage, and making an account didn't lead you to it. The only people who even knew it existed were oldfags that had the URL in autocomplete.

This

Is there a single good alternative to IMDBs forums?

Every time I watch something IMDB is usually the first place I go to because you are guaranteed to see content. What other websites have active boards for decades old movies?

see There's also Letterboxd and iCheckmovies I suppose.

even so, without the boards I don't see the need to ever visit IMDB again.

which is sad, IMDB was one of the first boards I ever joined (though I also have very few posts) and first web sites I started frequenting so many years ago (90's?)

tracker.archiveteam.org/imdb/

letterboxd doesn't even have boards either, why do you faggots keep bringing it up

>for 11 years every single time I've watched a movie or tv show I've gone to their boards to see what people were saying about it, no matter how obscure or ancient, someone would be posting about it

This, Even if it's 99% pure tripe, it's still amazing to see people talk about rare as fuck films, make jokes about it. Very sad.

brb making imdb clone

reminder this is 100% pure corporate decision

its not the coders

not the designers

not the moderators

its the BIG big higher ups who dont give a shit about the community --- only about $$$

"They'll live with it" they justify as they make room for more ad space and kill resources to reuse them for more profit

>for 11 years every single time I've watched a movie or tv show I've gone to their boards to see what people were saying about it, no matter how obscure or ancient, someone would be posting about it
>theres no other site that has a message board for literally every piece of media ever published, and they're not even going to archive it so you can still read the discussions for older movies, what a waste

same :(

yeah

STOP BEING DESPAIRED
themoviedb.org/en

IMDb has customers?

"[Amazon] know the cost of everything and the value of nothing"

It was one of Wilde's.

>Someone wrote his name down on a napkin or what?
Podesta :^)

lol

I didn't even know IMDB had a message board or private messages. People google movies and actors and IMDB comes up automatically or I go on the app to see who's in a flick. It won't affect it at all

Worst thing is that the 10% that visits the boards is probably overrepresented in the content generation, in the curation of pages.

>They could've just killed the "forum" section with all the general boards and left the boards for individual pages intact.
agreed
I never used the forum section until yesterday btw

>implying that isn't Sup Forums itself too

nah ur just too lazy to sift through some of the worse shit. shutting the message boards down is dumb

>muh is he gay threads
you faggots don't realize the amount of relevant stuff that was there even if you had to dig a bit for it (personally I never found the is he gay threads btw, perhaps it's the kinds of movies I watch)

>They can control reviews through bot-upvoting paid shill reviews, but they can't keep a 24/7 eye on actual discussion.
Yeah because nerds discussing movies in forums nobody knows about are so dangerous.

>99.99% of imdb message board traffic is for popular movies
>all popular movie message boards are utter shit
>the .01% isn't all that bad, but is still predominately shit
>people arguing to keep the imdb message boards around are arguing because they found one post one time at some point that wasn't absolutely horrid on some obscure movie.

Same here.

>they're not even going to archive it
I don't think they ever did archive it even before this. Pretty sure they would routinely purge message boards once they reached a certain limit.

>because they got bought by amazon and they dont want negative things being posted
I think it's more to do with that such a low percentage of users post on there (though I suspect far more lurk than post) and that they don't want to cover the maintenance cost while there is no direct profit being made from them. Lots of websites are going this route recently.

>I don't think they ever did archive it even before this. Pretty sure they would routinely purge message boards once they reached a certain limit.
I doubt it, there were decades old posts
>I think it's more to do with that such a low percentage of users post on there (though I suspect far more lurk than post) and that they don't want to cover the maintenance cost while there is no direct profit being made from them. Lots of websites are going this route recently.
not according to the user who allegedly works there, he said the cost was a non-issue

chamcham on suicide watch

Maybe stop viewing the message board for capeshit and expand your patrician intake.
>tfw no more legit Das Boot discussions/shitposts

Fuck man.

>tfw no more legit Carpenter discussions
>tfw no more legit Giallo discussions
>tfw no more legit film soleil discussions
>tfw no more legit neo-80s film discussions
Who am I supposed to ask? Plebbit?
FFS the format of IMDb was unique, there's no other place where there's a comfy board for each movie
Fuck Amazon

TMDB looks like it could be good.

Though its so dead right now.

I didn't even know IMDB had boards. Bet a lot of people like me only used the site to look up movie information and never looked further. Doubt there's anything there worth salvaging anyway, forums on web 2.0 have been dead for almost a decade.

Autists on the internet deserve to have everything taken away from them

I guess I'll try that then

Sounds like the usual thing then. Every board has its scrapers. People who just absorb the board's memes and opinions and then regurgitate them on some other platform, and they become efamous there for their "fresh and original perspective." Always thought that Sup Forums's scrapers were on letterboxd, but I guess that community is too niche for them to really thrive.

>have a community that curates your pages FOR FREE
>take away what keeps that community going to your site because it doesn't make you money
>said community gets pissed off and goes to TMDb instead
>lose your free curators
>have to start paying more people to keep having a relevant site
>TMDb makes your site irrelevant anyways
What was their endgame, Sup Forums? Creating jobs? Handing TMDb the monopoly of movie sites?

>I doubt it, there were decades old posts
Depends on the movie. I think the more popular ones got purged more often.

TMDb looks like a fresh start but I can see that going to shit real fast too.

This whole shutdown is weird.

oh, makes sense

Forums are old and to chaotic to control ($$$$) these days. It's happening in other sites too.

They're a relic from a previous internet era. They have no place in the new internet, which is dominated by social media and intertwines real and online identities. In a decade old style forums will be as obscure to the general public as IRC.

old internet was better tbqh

>forums on web 2.0

imdb was web 1.0 numb nuts.

i'm a level 16 yr imdb member year 2001. been posting on imdb boards ( the indivdiual actor/director/movie boards, not the general crap) for a decade.

oh thank god