I feel asleep. Tried too hard to be like Bravo Nolan. Intelligent alien design to instill fear...

I feel asleep. Tried too hard to be like Bravo Nolan. Intelligent alien design to instill fear, but still has some bullshit super power.

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/12/21/14035620/arrival-denis-villeneuve-interview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lol nolan plebs can't comprehend actual sci-fi

why has literally every science ficition movie of the last decade that's started off promising totally shit the bed in the last act?

This. nolan babbies BTFO.

If you fell asleep watching Arrival, I wonder what would happen if you put on anything from Tarkovsky or Bela Tarr?

You mean Solaris you clown? Solaris and 2001 were top tier movies. This was dog shit compared to them.

>Tried too hard to be like Bravo Nolan
in what moment does the movie try to look like shit?

I never said I liked Nolan, which made this even worse

If learning an alien language allows you to time travel, what power do you get if you learn other Earthly languages?

No. it was just stupid. I mean plain stupid

If you're an Alien, and refuse to learn the language of the land, you'll get lots of free pussy

Agreed

>Hey guys lets make a movie just like Interstellar but on Earth and with that bitch from Superman.

This might be the best sci-fi movie of the last 20 years.

You can have your own opinion but for the most part, it seems the dumber you are the less you liked it.

Not even kidding, I wouldn't expect most people on Sup Forums to truly understand it though. But comparing this to Interstellar is actually fucking laughable.

They're not even near the same level. I can't think of another film that represents most human ideologies and the concept of daoism/buddhism in an actually coherent and entertaining manner. I don't know if the credit should go to the original story or the adapted screenplay but there is some deep shit there.

How is it anything like interstellar?

As I said in another Arrival thread, all these "Arrival is shit" posts, but not one actual buzzword-free argument of why is it a "bad movie".
You don't have to like it, but if you think it's a legitimately bad movie give some arguments with your statement

You hate the people who enjoyed the movie more than you hate the actual movie.

>a parent - kid relations
>loss of a kid
>a threat to the whole earth
>its not a threat - is a possibility
>one person can handle it
>one person saves the day
>fucking time travel
>its a scifi movie but its not
>happy end but not a happy end

There is no time travel in Arrival

This should be the first post in every Arrival thread.

This is not a troll, this is what a fedora tipper looks like. Fuck off m8. The story wasn't that hard to grasp. Also just because the story is complex it doesn't make it better. They fucked it up. The main plot feel on itself. It was retarded. The movie actually had some good parts, especially dealing with linguistic stuff. They fucked it all up trying to be like Nolan

First post should be an image of a fat guy tipping his fedora

Not to sound elitist, but you are really simple minded if that's all you took out of either film.

That's like saying shaun of the dead and return of the living dead are the same because guy, girlfriend, zombies.

Also this

See

>she skips to the future where the chinese commander tells his phone number to her
>"there is no time travel... there is no time travel" he squeeks

I'm not, your criticism of the movie literally is "it feels retarded" and "it tries to be like Nolan", and it doesn't even make any sense, there's like 3 shots in the movie that might remind you of Interstellar and those are actually needed to show the immensity of the ships.

Other than that it is nothing alike a "Nolan movie" which I assume you mean Interstellar because I fail to see any relationships with the rest of them.

The mother-daughter is the main plot you autist, how could you miss this?

The opening sequence is about it, the ending sequence too, all the major scenes are intercut with those scenes and when it's in the current narrative it's either a hard close-up of Amy Adams face or her point of view with a shallow focus.

The ayylmaos and the science are only the setting for the actual story.
You are only hating the movie because it didn’t fulfill your preconcieved expectations of what it "should be"

I agree

If I could see the future and I knew something bad was going to happen to me, like cancer, I would go to the doctor every week to get a check up. Isn't that just what the ayylmaos did? Came to earth because they knew they would need the help of humans in the future? Yes I know what the main plot is, and this is why I said it fell on itself. Fucking retarded fags. I'll give you a point by point breakdown of why the movie sucked donkey balls, but I can't be bothered, and it's not worth it

Only her perception of time change where she "remembers" the future just like we remember our past in the form of memories.

Nowhere in the film does she literally move from one point in time to another, she is always present in the current narrative.

When you remember a certain childhood memory, are you time travelling to that point in time?

>defending a schmaltsy pro-choice propaganda flick

Still not one actual argument of why it's a bad movie, just the usual "reddit fedora nolan artsy imdb" posts as always

Still not a single actual argument of why Arrival is a good movie besides the usual "it's too smart for you" condescending reddit-tier posts as always

You're obviously blind or retarded. Which makes sense as though why you're defending the film

poorly executed stupid story with retarded ending

>Too deep for me

It's not a pro life propaganda

>"I was honestly afraid that because of the nature of the story, it could be seen as a pro-life movie, which is not for me. In the short story, the idea is that the heptapods see life like a [scripted] play. They know what will happen, so they have the choice — either they do it bored to death, or they embrace it and try to be at their best, like an actor on a stage"

theverge.com/2016/12/21/14035620/arrival-denis-villeneuve-interview

And thus you prove you didn't understand the movie. You just described the plot.

But please reply with your anti-intellectual praising comment.

>Look ma I posted it again.
>Wait she can't listen to me she's too busy getting gang banged

>stupid
>retarded

Not an argument.
Actually explain what is not executed well

Look at this virgin fedora fag. I'd ask you to explain your take on it, but I'd probably just get cancer.

>Hey lets give humanity the best gift ever - our language (sic!!). Oh and instead of staying on the orbit and broadcasting our grammar book and dictionary like normal fucking squids we will fucking invade earth and cause the biggest conflict ever encountered. What can go wrong lol

I'll say what I think were the positives of the film.

I loved the first contact scene, one of the best executed first contact scenes in cinema history.

Where others would fully show the aliens in the first scene and lose all the tension in later sequences, Villeneuve builds up to the moment with Amy Adams freezing right at the point of contact and a sudden jump cut to the decontamination chamber which serves almost like a jump scare to the audience and we get to finally breathe just like the characters in the movie do.
He doesn't need to show us what happened there, we know that they failed to communicate and there's no point in wasting screen time with that and we are still eager to see the aliens in the following scenes.

Perfect tension building and release dynamic, brilliantly executed. Top notch editing too.
I liked the cinematography by Bradford Young, props for him not going for a standard sci fi look, also loved the framing and composition which makes the viewer in the main protagonists shoes
I liked the sound design, where it's used not just to "fill the form" like in most movies, but as a storytelling device where the clues from the future are played in the current narrative
I liked the score by Johannsson
I liked the production design, the blend of practicals with CGI.
I liked Amy Adams performance and her character development.
I liked how was the main narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death effectively handled through a sci fi setting, showinf how we should appreciate every waking moment of our life.

And there are the underwritten/underused Renner and Whitaker characters, also some cheesy lines in the third act.

That's about it.

This, if they were so fucking advanced they could have done so much then just land. Also the science about the vessels floating makes 0 sense

Big part of the movie is "working together", if it was just a message every government would secretly work by themselves to figure it out

I agree with most of what you said. I like 70% of this film too. My Problem is they tried to over complicate it like fucks and completely ruined it for me. This entire flash forward shit didn't work. Made no logical sense. They could've gone with another storyline, and the film would've been thousand times better

Yeah its not like the first contact could bring ppl together. It had to be an invasion.

not enough superheroes for you?

Are you retarded? I said the alien's had bs superpowers, could've done without it. Kys

>Yeah its not like the first contact could bring ppl together

It wouldn't, if it was only one ship it would also result in that country shutting off all countries out of it with letting no information slip out. Thats's why there are 12 of them in the movie

well they are from an advanced civilisation. why does this trigger you

They are from a civilization where their "language" gives then the ability to see the future? Wtf. Are they reading mantras? Fucking Dr. Strange bullshit. You absorb squid cum, now you too have superpowers, but unfortunately you can't do anything about it.

just remember, its a movie. its just entertainment, not a factual documentary

Ohhhhh, so now it's "just" a movie. I agree it's just a movie like a Seth Rogen or an Adam Sandler movie. Do you care to defend those movies as well?

>entertainment
but I should feel entertained and not insulted

I bet you would hate on 2001 if it came out today
>monkeys fighting and a giant floating space baby where is my hard sci fi arghhhhh makes no sense

>implying 2001 was good ever

because a movie isnt 100% realistic doesnt mean its on par with an adam sandler movie. why do you expect such scientific accuracy in movies?

You know how you sometimes try to prove a point by making up a short story or a situation in which your point is made? Movies do that too. Everything that happens in a movie isn't meant to be taken literally as if it's a fake documentary about some imaginary real world out there. This is a naive approach to storytelling. The creators don't mean to say that reading a language can give you superpowers. Their point is that learning an new language and immersing yourself in other cultures changes how you think. Just that. The superpowers and aliens are just window dressing.

Pls kys. Now you're going full retard for the sake of an argument

I can't believe this autism, screen capping for future humor threads.

No the guy I replied to is autistic. He obviously has no idea what a metaphor is and needs things to be laid out literally.

>tfw Abbott is death process

oh shit does this mean we are all actually time travelers?

brb going back to a time where i was able to feel joy

Fuck, too much autism for a day. I thought fedora tippers went extinct, apparently I stand corrected. Have you watched your daily show of Drive, yet?

The point of that post is that remembering isn't time travelling.

Hope you are just baiting.

>They fucked it all up trying to be like Nolan

I got Terrence Malick vibes.

>modern sci-fi
Everyone tries to come up with a crazy, intriguing, revolutionary concept but they can't follow it up with a coherent explanation/resolution in the third act & they don't have the balls to go full 2001 on the audience

This film is pretty good at filtering plebs who are too dumb and posers who think they are too smart

can someone explain what the barrier between them was when they were speaking to eachother? were the aliens not actually on those pods or what

i found this film was quite shallow in depth, doesnt tell you too much. i was watching it expecting another hour or so, but to find it was near the end with so much unanswered left me a little disappointed to say the least

>heptapods can see the future
>3000 years in the future humans will help them with some disaster or some shit
>introduce language to prevent the disaster
>Amy Adam's character willingly has a kid she knows will die of cancer even though you can change the future

No either free will exists in this universe or it doesn't. Or she willingly has a kid which is strange knowing she could have the same experiences and better by adopting.

This. The entire premise didn't make sense. I agree, the rest of the film was pretty good

>Or she willingly has a kid which is strange knowing she could have the same experiences and better by adopting

How could she have the same experiences?
She already deeply loved her daughter specifically (as her daughter loved her too) and despite knowing how will it end she had her because she thinks the moments they had together were worth living for.

Do you think parents of kids with cancer wish they never had them/adopted someone else?

Free will exists.

Adams' character is just a stone cold selfish bitch. Having a kid that dies early and horribly means she never has to deal with all the painful parts of raising a child. The kid will never grow up, grow away from her, or grow to resent her. Not to mention the split custody divorce situation means she can always be the good guy and always make sure the kid loves her more.

Furthermore, because she can see the whole of her life laid out before and behind her, she can just jump to all the good parts of it for the eternity. Then because she knows that the kids going to die, she gets that much more intense emotional reactions.

>Do you think parents of kids with cancer wish they never had them/adopted someone else?

Those parents never knew their kids would get cancer in the future.

>Do you think parents of kids with cancer wish they never had them/adopted someone else?

It's more like parents of kids with intensely crippling disabilities that are identified en utero who choose not to abort for religious reasons. Those people most definitely wish for the kid to just miraculously "wake up" one day and be perfectly normal, as a reward for their faith. Which is, in effect, wishing for a completely different kid and/or for the kid. Though they'll take the kid dying as proof they failed their god.

>or grow to resent her.

The scene in the beginning where she screams "I hate you!" at Adams' character makes me question if Adams' character told her her eventual fate, or if the daughter too gained the ability to foresee the future and found out herself.

Either way, adams gets her baby back when the kid starts dying.

But if you asked them would they rather live through it again or not have them at all they would most definitely have them.

And that's the option Amy Adams character has in the movie, to live through the moments again or not to have her at all.

From this thread I can tell 90% of you didn't even watch/understand the movie. No wonder yall think Batman v Superman was good.

What if you asked the kid if it wanted to go through that agony again? Not everything is about you.

Yeah, a kid would most definitely say "You should have never had me mom".
It's not like her daughter was in constant physical agony from the moment she was born.

the whole concept is retarded, learning a crappy smudge language won't allow you to see future, any physicist would laugh at this concept
the movie presents the tired meme theory that the time is set as an existing fourth dimension and that everything that happened and happens is already set there and we are simply reading that dimension in order, like reading a book, but learning the language allowed her to skip ahead in the book and read the future pages
the movie is boring and the concept is fucking retarded
i thought that the time travel concept in interstellar was stupid and it couldn't get any worse but oh boy has this movie proven me wrong

+1
now get ready for some redditor to condescendingly call you an idiot for supposedly misunderstanding the plot without saying what you got wrong
really shitty movie

Which means the heptapods cheated the plot by rewriting the pages which goes against the idea that the book is already written.

>Which means the heptapods cheated the plot by rewriting the pages which goes against the idea that the book is already written.

The heptapods would have always showed up on Earth at that time to teach humans their language.

"Oh humans help us in a few thousand years. We better go make sure they have the tools to help us"

>the whole concept is retarded, learning a crappy smudge language won't allow you to see future, any physicist would laugh at this concept

Sometimes in fiction you have to make a conceit that a concept that might not work in the real world does work in that fiction. I think it's called suspension of disbelief.

Or do you just hate all scifi and fantasy?

>Or do you just hate all scifi and fantasy?
No

I can suspense my disbelief if the movie or whatever is not solely focused on a concept that does not make any sense, which is the case for most of the fantasy/sci-fi movies/shows/books.

It's like if Harry Potter was a series about how to cast a spell.