'John Wick 2' Box Office: Keanu Reeves Sequel Scores Explosive $30M Weekend

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/02/12/john-wick-2-box-office-keanu-reeves-sequel-scores-explosive-30m-weekend/

>Keanu Reeves' John Wick opened with $14.4 million in October of 2014, riding a wave of strong reviews and solid buzz to a $43m domestic and $86m worldwide cume. The film also earned $53m in post-theatrical, which is the kind of post-theatrical bump that is a lot rarer than it used to be during the DVD boom. And now the sequel just notched a $30m debut weekend. So yeah, I'm thinking John Wick: Chapter 2 is a classic breakout sequel.

>No, the Keanu Reeves/Common/Ruby Rose action flick won’t top the entire domestic total of the first film ($43 million) in its debut weekend, but it did open with more than double the first John Wick’s debut. You can’t say that about almost any recent initial sequel save for Pitch Perfect 2 or the comparatively long-ago likes of The Bourne Supremacy, The Dark Knight or Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.

>And in an era where most sequels open smaller than their predecessors, this is a big deal and a big win for all participants. This was a case of a surprisingly good and refreshingly under-the-radar hit building a following both during its leggy theatrical run and in post-theatrical, with the fans and the curious showing up for the next installment in comparative droves. And when you have what amounts to an unexpected sleeper hit, you sometimes get an accidental franchise and get to reap the respective rewards.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tpr8oqyjKIc
imdb.com/title/tt1086064/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3
theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/10/john-wick-chapter-2-gun-violence-keanu-reeves
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Im glad Keanu is back

BASED KEANU

It amazes me that the film only cost $40 million to make.

I've been watching heuge blockbuster films for so long that I'd forgotten it was possible to make a relatively modestly priced action movie.

Third film was already confirmed before the John Wick 2 released in theaters, now it more than confirmed

I bet that they are thinking to make a John Wick TV Series about his past

>I bet that they are thinking to make a John Wick TV Series about his past

They are, yeah

he made it

I'm thinking he's back.

>the comparatively long-ago likes of The Bourne Supremacy, The Dark Knight or Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.

Jack reacher 2 was so copying John wick in style, the cringy ubermensch Scientology character didn't work

"KINO REEVES"

Speed 3 and a direct sequel to Point Break please. Ignore the remake

You realize that the reason why most blockbusters are so expensive is so the people involved in making it can get a fat paycheck and not because those movies are expensive to make.

Most blockbusters are filmed in front of a green screen with special effects outsourced to korea or some other Asian company. The paychecks are what make it expensive.

>direct sequel to Point Break
How the fuck would you even do that you dumb nigger?

But would the John Wick prequel TV show actually be Keanu? Cause if it's not Keanu and it's not a premium channel like HBO I'm not interested.

it's a movie franchise cash cow. they're not gonna move to tv while it's still profitable.

But given all the recent box office bombs you'd think there would be some downward pressure on actor/actress salaries

I mean if say Nicole Kidman demands $10 million/film and every film she's in fails to break-even surely someone would tell her to come back with a lower offer

Just going off when it said i nthe article, bud

>There is already talk about a potential John Wick 3 and/or a prequel television series, and this boffo opening day implies that there is an audience for more adventures in and around the Continental. If it plays like the first one, we're looking at a $90m domestic total, which would be nuts for this kind of movie in this day-and-age. This is exciting news for a terrific movie and an old-school "earned it" sequel. That'll do Wick. That'll do.

Excellent. I've yet to see it but the first one was great.

>The Bourne Supremacy was 13 years ago
>Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest was 11 years ago
>The Dark Knight was 9 years ago

Lmao that's it?

Even Ghostbusters hit that you retarded shills.

Go see it today

You're a retard. John Wick is a modestly budgeted R-rated action movie, Paul Feig's Ghostbusters was a super expensive PG-13 blockbuster.

OK but this isnt a big studio movie like Disney where it's all about making money. This is movie that Keanu and his friends really wanted to make and were doing it more for love of the craft than making money in China.

>John Wick: Chapter 2
>budget: $40 million
>Ghostbusters (2016)
>budget: $144 million
Plus there's marketing. Movie studios usually spend just as much on marketing as they do on production so that means Sony blew around $300 million on Ghostbusters.

Dredd sequel when?

>believing inflated numbers created for tax writeoffs

That ship has sailed, bud. Forget it.

I'm glad for Keanu.

youtu.be/tpr8oqyjKIc
operate in peace you mixed race mongrel

>l-l-lies Malebusters was a h-huge success!

Yeah, I'm thinking he's back.

kino of this caliber deserves the success.

I'm not saying that the movie wasn't a failure, but money laundering and tax evasion is a common thing in Hollywood. It isn't uncommon for bad movies to suddenly become ridiculously expensive and for various newly formed production companies to suddenly go out of business along with all the records disappearing

>Ghostbusters was a success, I swear! Don't believe all of the film industry professionals who say that Sony lost millions on it! That's anti-Sony propaganda!

I hope his plans to pull a Diesel work out because I'd love a Bill and Ted 3.

Also the dude knows how to pull some great pulp talent and make a good movie on the cheap.

I'm glad for Keanu. Also I am glad Hollywood started making good action movies again.
Crank 3 when?

chad actually said they are modelling the series on how Lucas did Star Wars.

which means after the third film we'll get 3 crappy prequels, some TV shows/cartoons, and then they'll sell it to disney to make an anti-white male propaganda meme movie trilogy

>the comparatively long-ago likes of
>with the fans and the curious showing up for the next installment in comparative droves

Someone got paid to write this

>you are now aware that the way John's beard is trimmed makes his face look like a skull

John Wick 3 and the Cinemax spin-off confirmed.

>the Keanu Reeves/Common/Ruby Rose action flick

What did he mean by this? No really, Common Ruby Rose? What the fuck?

Based.

if john wick 3 comes out will that mean keanu is one of the few people who actually played the main character in 2 separate and successful trilogies?

they are actors in the movie, and they actually do a good job in it, strange I know.

imdb.com/title/tt1086064/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

Yes and this time he has the potential to make a truly rare 3 > 2 > 1 trilogy where The Matrix was 1 >>>>huge power gap>>>>>>>>>

>Common
He was great in 2.

And the Deaf chick was a neat bad guy. She reminds me of those old Bond villains that had to be weird but you couldn't do scifi.

Bet you a fucking doughnut Common teams up with John by the end to fuck every ones day up.

What was the dog's name?

Dear god...

if the link is for Bill and Ted 3
I hope that movie eventually fucking comes out

He didn't give it one he's still afraid of forming attachments

They better cast a black man as John Wick

honestly, bill and ted 3 is the perfect idea.

this idea that the 2 dudes are wondering why the world never turned out the way it was supposed to, is great

pure kino

I wonder if it was the same dog as from the first one. That was a really good movie dog. I like how kept a perfect pace/distance with John at the very end of 2.

Pit bulls are the niggers of the dog world

only weak sissies afraid of dogs are scared of pitbulls.

They're normal dogs like every other breed

Idris Elba to play Wick in the inevitable TV prequel?

Fuckin sad that's where we are. Batman is also an established franchise/brand in general and Pirates arguably was too (the ride).

So basically like only a handful of new films came out good enough to warrant a bigger and better sequel in the last 15 years, and some of them aren't even original characters and ideas.

Thank fuck for John Wick, it may not truly deserve the critical praise in hindsight (it was certainly fucking fun to watch and well executed), but it's becoming more and more obvious that the Hollywood model is stale and more people are looking for a way out.

Probably not but I could see him being in the third. He's been training kickboxing IRL lately. 3 Wire alums for the third film would be ok with me.

If they could get liam neeson for Wick 3 that would be the best thing ever.

Well, he's a draw.

No he will be the guy that trained him and now has to kill him in Part 3.

no, it isnt funny at all. but that's what happens regardless these days

Better, they can complete the Matrix reunion by getting Hugo Weaving

If we could get you to stfu that would be the best thing ever

John Wick 3 will take place in Jerusalem or Tokyo they said

HELL YEAH

I don't see it

Is that a Punisher reference in their Executioner homage? Deep.

Just like blacks

IS THAT A MOTHAFUCKIN JOJO REFERENCE?

That would be stupid

Daily reminder that keanu reeves is 70 years and stil LOOKS LIKE THAT!!??

Meanwhile in australia...

Didnt Australia have a hard time getting GTA V?

>tfw I can't say John Kino to my friends because they aren't losers who hang out on Sup Forums

Feminists got it pulled from Target because you can kill women in it.

No cares about ausfailia

Not enough people saw it here in sweden so nordic film has decided not to show it in cinemas here. Fucking dick move.

>Shamalamadong back
>Keanu back

Is this the year of unJUST?

Keanu was back since the first movie that's where the line comes from.

it actually did really well here in aus. these distributors are apparently just a bunch of lazy cunts

A great film. Better than the first.

Deserve every bit of praise and revenue.

>yfw Reeves gets invited to The Expendables 4

Not enough face shitting scenes for it to qualify for Aussie distribution

Shut your whore mouth, he would never go that low

hes not that old though.

expendables is for former macho 80's stars to go

meanwhile in the UK...

theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/10/john-wick-chapter-2-gun-violence-keanu-reeves

>dubs

Nice, might go watch it alone

Could this become the perfect trilogy?

>make a great film
>people love it
>make a sequel to great film and is almost better in every way
>people love it
shocker...

I couldn't make it past the 3 sentence, holy shit what a pretentious douche

Guess I'll have to subscribe to Netflix again then

WITH NO RELEASE IN AUSTRALIA

WHAT IS THIS 2006

Cassian and John will not team uP. Cassian does not even owe John a professional courtesy. They are now even. John killed his ward. That'd be like John letting people get away with killing his dog and stealing his car.

>A lustily shot sequence teases out one weapon after another and, to one who has never held a firearm and has no intention of doing so, each make and model just sounds like chrome noise. Until our hero was handed an enormous rifle in the AR family. Ah, that’s one I’ve heard of. I recognize it as the gun of choice in Newtown and Aurora and San Bernardino. (The Pulse dance club in Orlando fell to an MCX, the Pepsi to the AR-15’s Coke.)
>I don’t think it’s overly prudish to wonder just where the line of decency is as audience bloodlust continues to get chummed. Eventually, the moviegoer staggering out of a violent screening looking for headache tablets will be you.

What a fucking faggot

>No John Wick 2 in my shitty country until may.

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP, SEMPAI