OKAY EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE HATE THIS MOVIE AND LOVE THE DRIVE! I mean it's not as good but they are...

OKAY EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE HATE THIS MOVIE AND LOVE THE DRIVE! I mean it's not as good but they are obviously similar. There are some masterful shots here, the acting is pretty good and the music is fine to.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aS0T1TVKsbs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

muh symbolism

It's boring. I really wanted to like it but there was zero emotion to latch onto. Gosling's character should've been more expressive and conflicted with the events taking place, instead he was just a robot along with the rest of the cast, going through the motions. There were a lot of good elements in this movie but they just didn't work.

I actually enjoyed it but its really slow

Thats cause youre autistic.

Why would people hate it though. It's kino.

Nah he's right to some degree, it's down to the changing of the script/working on the go that went on during shooting. Can't blame him too much when the director himself seemed constricted on where he wanted the character to end up emotionally and physically by the end of the film. The second guessing and moral insecurity of Refn was mirrored a little by Gosling and rubbed off on him I assume Neon Demon and OGF are better than Drive though in my opinion, Fear x as well although I'd need to re watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=aS0T1TVKsbs

Wanna fight?

yeesh, embarrassing

Pretty much everyone only knew Refn from Drive and was surprised when this was less a poppy confection and more akin to Valhalla Rising. It's not Drive 2, Goose isnt a real human bean and hero, and who even is this old asian dude lol.

It's a much better film.

I only like a film if the romantic or female lead is attractive to me

>Le long shots so it must be le good

It's really not. Vastly inferior to both Drive and Valhalla Rising, which are probably Refn's best films.

>long shots

What? Shots from afar? You're doing great.

How exactly is it vastly superior to Drive? Valhalla Rising I'll admit is sightly better, but Drive is nowhere near as good as them. Even Neon Demon is better than Drive.

Because Drive was really popular and its just an epic revenge story

You know what it means, stop being a condescending nitpicker.

>How exactly is it vastly superior to Drive?

That's the opposite of what the post said.

It's too art housey

I think what happened is there are a lot of long scenes where literally nothing happens. Also the fact that Gosling makes one single change of mood when he's with the asian bitch doesn't help at all, I mean he didn't even flinch when he was touching his moms womb.

I guess it's condescending but i'm sorry, if "boring" and "long shots" is what you got out of the film, i'm not sure you have the cinematic IQ or experience to "get" it quite yet. I really feel Drive is so beloved because it's so accessible and follows (albeit with Refn's interesting spin) a classic heros journey. OGF asks a little more. It's also a genre film, but told through a unique perspective, the eyes of a dead thug's ineffectual brother as he is pushed into some imagine familial obligation of avenging his brother's death at the urging of his domineering mother. We experience his dread and foreboding at his inevitable fate, that he portends, which is rendered eerily, icily, palpable throughout, the "long shots" I guess, it's an effective directorial choice. He watches himself in shock walking to slaughter over something in which he's actually in the wrong.

not going to read your wall of run-on sentences there, sorry.

No coherent narrative, no emotion on display, not even sure whats going on, boring color and music

>No coherent narrative
this
in drive he tells you who he is and what he does and stuff and you root for him to get the girl and beat the bad guys and stuff, in OgF its like, who are these people and whats even happening, why do i care

Martinez is the man

Drive is even more autistic its annoying.

OGF>>>>>>>>>>> Drive

Drive 3/10
OGF 6/10

Post your top 10

I don't have a le top 10. Maybe if you pick a genre.

pusher 3 = ogf = drive > fear x > pusher > pusher 2 > neon demon = bronson > valhalla rising > bleeder

Post ten of your favorite movies

Drive had a simple plot that didn't jump around.
Only God was a jumbled mess. Plus it was boring as fuck

Silence
Eyes Wide Shut
Possession
La Jetee
Solaris (2002)
Children of Men
The Fountain
Fellowship of the Ring
Barry Lyndon

the surrealism killed it
Like, I love the film, but the surrealism in the first act could've been done a lot better and turned people off
And the film was sold as a violent thriller, despite being a slow surreal mystery

REMINDER THAT PUSHER 2 IS REFN'S BEST FILM

this basically. we thought we were going to get a straight forward plot like drive, but instead we get nicholas going full wynd refn.

>Solaris (2002)
wew

Fight me lad. It's kino [\spoiler]

nah

drive: memes
ogf: pleb filter

drive is highly stylized but believable, this is completely unrealistic in every way. and no one wants to look at close ups up flips speaking in tagalog in a western movie.

I like both

OGF is visually stunning. Every shot is gorgeous, but on a narrative level it fails. There are some interesting dynamics between characters and some really great scenes, and of course it succeeds in cultivating a mood. But at the end of the day, the story just isn't all that it could be. I still enjoyed it, but it is what it is.

Just because something is inaccessible, doesn't mean it's a masterpiece.

it was shit

I liked it. The aesthetics are appealing to me.

So the asian old man is god?