What are Sup Forumss thoughts on long ball football...

What are Sup Forumss thoughts on long ball football? Why don't top clubs use it much anymore and why is it looked so down upon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QRo3p6kO0QE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>hoofball

Perfectly legitimate strategy but one that defenders should be able to deal with.

Basic strategy that is pretty much 99.9% of the time defeated by an offside trap.

its ugly

Because "feelings" triumph strategy today. The fuck have you been?

beautiful

So is Mourinho's ultra defensive Manchester that doesn't register a shot in the second half against Liverpool. At least teams managed by Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis have a go.

At home eating tendies. The fuck have you been?

>At home eating tendies. The fuck have you been?

Same. I prefer panko chicken nuggies tho la.

Nothing wrong with it besides it being easy to defend against. Even a few decent defenders should be able to stop it.

If teams go man for man all across the field, long ball is the logical strategy. See Spurs long balling it to Llorente in the Bernabeu. Madrid pushed Isco up when pressing and went 1v1 all over the field so it made sense to play long ball. People criticise the English for playing long ball but it just makes sense when you have 2 CFs vs 2 CBs. You can't play out from the back against that (or it's hard) and playing it down field has a lot of reward.

If that technique is so good and Brits are so smart how come all home nations team put together have only 1 title and it was more than 50 years ago?

Because Brits run lang baal for everything.

Because teams that can control the midfield win out maybe? Mourinho came here, played 4-3-3 and dominated.

Act like we're unsophisticated but the final progression of pressing high is that every man is put under pressure. What is the strategy then? Long ball surely.

Except it wasn't effective against RM at all. Not a single long ball converted to a chance. You have better luck just spamming fullbacks as faux wingers than you do going LLoris > Llorente/Kane

No one cares how a trophy is won nowadays, as long as it's won.

Look at Madrid and the blatant refball and offside goals in the Champions league. Does anyone care? lol no

Look at how Portugal "won" the Euro. That was probably the worst display of football to ever win a tournament in the history of the sport. Does anyone care? Lol no.

Longballs are a valid tactic when opposition are pressing high but it requires really good goalkeeper and forwards to not lose possesion again

>Look at how Portugal "won" the Euro. That was probably the worst display of football to ever win a tournament in the history of the sport. Does anyone care? Lol no.
I'm pretty sure the Greeks care about not having "the worst display of football to ever win a tournament in the history of the sport" anymore.

It was though. Eriksen managed to get in because it was Eriksen, Kane and Llorente against Ramos, Varane and Casemiro. Pretty sure there was another chance too. And that was all in the last 20 minutes at the Bernabeu.

What exactly do you do when a team wants to match you man for man all over the field? Play out from the back? That seems stupid.

>it requires really good goalkeeper
Why do Brits do it then?

This desu

This thread just turned into a malvinas discussion in disguise

You can pick up the second ball in midfield too, as Pep likes to talk about. If the opposition match your defenders and have a spare man at the back at the same time, logically you will have an extra man in midfield. That means that if they CBs head the ball from a long punt you have a better chance to retrieve second ball.

Does anyone understand what i'm saying?

Sure, but look at all the goals Spurs scored in both legs. None of them came indirectly from long balls. And I don't even mean straight for Lloris; give or take a few passes, even. The tie at Bernabeu was thanks to Aurier wing spam, first one at Wembley was from solid positioning from Trippier, a fullback, second and third abused Madrid's high line without long passes except maybe Eriksen's goal

Semantics aside, I think what I'm trying to say is it's probabilistic that long balls look good on paper but they require way too much leeway on forward to maintain possession and it's easier to defeat a high line with good positioning from full/wingbacks and low ground passes

Those offside goals wouldn't have even happened if Bayern's goal wasn't counted, which was also offside.
As for Portugal, their football was fine, it was the stupid format that allowed 3 teams to go through that was the problem.

Fuck, man. I'm drunk. It's Friday night. What you saying?

Poch will bottle it la

ALWAYS hoof it to the big lad up front la

>la
That's more my speed.

Poch is the best managerial potential in the world right now. Prove me wrong.

Yeah it makes sense. I guess that's why there's usually head tennis between teams when long balls are played a lot.

But Bilic's side beat Spurs so what does that make West ham hmmmmmmmm

it´s beautiful
youtube.com/watch?v=QRo3p6kO0QE