What happened to this show? The first season feels so tightly plotted and well written...

What happened to this show? The first season feels so tightly plotted and well written. The latest feels like the writing has dropped off a cliff. I've been given answers both that the later seasons drift away from the books so they're bad, but also that the later books are bad too so I'm not sure.

i just finished rewatching it. the first 4 seasons had some problems here and there but i forgot how much i enjoyed it. then season 5 comes along and ruins everything and it just gets worse and worse with some good stuff like hardhome scattered here and there

i believe the production was severely hampered by the loss of tax credits

The later books go hardcore into the lore and has twice as many characters. Some don't like it as much because the story moves slower.

The problem with the show is that GRRM is an autistic genius and once the show started to outpace the books it revealed that the writers are shit without GRRM's books

D&D had praise for what was really the Gurm's story early on, and interpreted it as being compliments to their own writing, and got from it that they could disregard the storylines Gurm had in mind what with thinking they were that much above him, and basically started writing fan-fiction for what a hundred million-dollar show.

Same shit happens in the books. Martin lost the plot after the third book

D&D and GRRM happened

D&D are terrible

But the shit started before they ran out of the books. They even invented own shit so that they would not have to do stuff from the books.
Bad pussy for example.
But to be fair, she has an awesome pair of tits

The books do get a bit scattered and I'm not sure if GRRM is able to end the series in a satisfying way. The writing is still far superior to whatever D&D shits out.

Jews,sjws and feminism.

The first few seasons are out to impress because Game of Thrones wasn't that popular outside its hardcore book fans. They had to make a tight poltical thriller with some realistic (ish) action scenes and some mystical elements thrown in. They manage to balance this quite well for a few seasons.

One it had established itself as a franchise people could watch regardless, and outpaced the books they could stop trying and write any old shit, people would approve and lap it up.

D&D feeling the need to add in forced progressiveness to feel like they are trying even though it's just a force field for how bad the story has gotten in terms of writing.

in the first couple of seasons they did a decent job of tweaking and simplifying plots and making them work for TV, a good example of that is having tywin be in control of harrenhal the entire time instead of it changing hands back and forth like in the books, plus the arya and tywin scenes were nice.

once they had to start writing their own stuff instead of tweaking already written material it went to shit

It's honestly a bad show, no idea why people bandwagoned it so hard. I dropped it at season 3.

There's always one isn't there

>deviate from the book
>eventually your story makes no sense

Yeah... who wouldve thought.

Dark fantasy tv was a relative rarity when it came out.
It's not anymore, but since it got its foot in the door it became the benchmark

When will one of you stupid fucks say which show you fucks are fucking watching?

Apparently plebs that have never read a /lit/ core in their lifes, which to me seems like the majority in this autistic shit hole.

What was Ned's tax policy?

It's sad how idiots acts like season 6 was so good and a return to form when it literally was just a fuckton of fan service and crowd-pleasing moments meant to distract people from how shitty the writing and storytelling has become. It's a train wreck.

>Hey remember that character that's been absent forever and you thought was dead, well here they are! And here's another one! And another one! And ANOTHER one! Get hyped!!

literally sums up the whole season

>The first season feels so tightly plotted and well written
because the book was tightly plotted and well written

the second book was too, but the show disregarded that for fanfiction

by season three the books start to bulk, meander, and fall apart as well and the show does even less strict adaptations

after that it's anyones guess

>What happened to this show? The first season feels so tightly plotted and well written. The latest feels like the writing has dropped off a cliff.
That's accurate to the books. The first book is the most tightly plotted because it actually keeps the majority of the characters in one place. After that they all fuck off in different directions and it's clear Martin can't handle keeping track of all the plot threads.

>I've been given answers both that the later seasons drift away from the books so they're bad, but also that the later books are bad too so I'm not sure.
Someone is misinforming you, however. They drifted away because they ran out of material to adapt. The main reason you hate the latest season is because of the writer change. It's no longer Martin's story.

>What happened to this show?

Sansa and Cersei were "raped", so D&D went full feminist retard in a transparent desperate attempt to ingratiate women. Seriously, from Tywin's death forward and then Stannis's death, this show became a chick flick. All the strong men were called (Ned,Roose,Robb,Tywin,Alisr,Jeor Mormont,Stannis etc..) and we are left with some chubby past-their sexual prime smug British women like Sansa and Dany leading a bunch of emasculated cucks (Even LF and Darrio have been turned into cucks) We're somehow supposed to believe that in a time of multiple wars, women had any role in politics. Jon is literally the last strong male character on the show, and Im sure Dany will make him her cuck somehow next season. Its pathetic, even Cersei has been portrayed in the show as a master manipulator.

>the second book was too, but the show disregarded that for fanfiction
Haven't watched the show, can you give me some examples of how they changed it? ACoK is my favorite book so that's disheartening.

the strong men were killed*

>Its pathetic, even Cersei has been portrayed in the show as a master manipulator.
That's exactly how she's portrayed in the books, what the fuck? Have you even read them?

no

Honestly this. The two incompetent hack writers are jewish and of course since they are jews they are also feminists

If you disagree that GoT is feminist then ask yourself this: how many of the key power players in the beginning of the show were male? Literally all of them. Robert, Ned, Viserys, Tywin, Dorian

Now who are the key players in the story currently? Olenna (who is a fucking Redwyne yet she still rules the Reach, are there no Tyrell cousins?), the Sand Sneks and their mom, Daenerys, Cersei and the lone male Jon.

you fucking shithead, iv read all the fucking books, dont samefag. AFFC is literally a whole book of Cersei self-imploding, fuck off, Cersei is the stupidest character, all her plots fail and she is transparent as fuck

Cersei is an absolute moron in the books. In the show she's some machiavellian mastermind feminist power fantasy with Mr Bean-tier luck for when she rarely fucks up

None of the books go hardcore into the lore. There's very little lore in this series.

They killed off the best characters, who were also played by the best actors. Now we are left with boring characters that are played by sub tier actors that are no longer carried in scenes by their superiors.

there's like 2-3 hours of Arya-Tywin scenes

they're good scenes but they butcher and cut a lot of shit from Dany's storyline and fuck up Stannis so hard you'd slit your wrists, and even then Stannis is still the Mannis and best character.

>AcoK is my favorite book
same, ASoS niggers need to fuck up. That was the beginning of the end, easily, with so much filler and repetition that you could easily cut the book to be 2/3 its length and lose nothing

who shows up?

Who have we got left that can act and actually puts the effort in?
It's what, Jaime, some of the northern supporting cast and that's it?
I'll give CIA an honourable mention, because it's clear he's loving the opportunities to chew the scenery and get paid for it

I was able to bear a few intial mistakes. I told myself that it would be alright, showmakes make mistakes; but then they made STANNIS THE MANNIS KILL SHIREEN. THAT WAS IT FOR ME. STANNIS WAS A SWEETHEART AND HE WOULD NEVER DO SUCH A THING. IT WAS BLASHPHEMY. I AM STILL PISSED AT GRRM THAT HE WOULD LET SUCH A THING HAPPEN

>Tyrion, Cersei,and Jamie aren't entertaining as fuck to watch
Nigger, I agree that most of the starpower is gone but the show isn't wholly devoid of good characters

Trailer when?

grrm hasn't had anything to do with the show since season 5

The show has gone completely off the rails. I had the same denial years ago with Lost after season 3. I'm probably going to drop the show. The decline in quality is remarkable. I honestly couldn't care less about anyone left in the show any more. Honestly, who cares who sits on the throne? It's lost it's appeal to me.

Only Jaime is entertaining on his own merits.
Cercei is like watching dick dastardly being played straight and having his luck reversed.
Dinklage has long since stopped giving a fuck, but in fairness to him, the people who write his parts have also stopped trying

I'm literally just watching to see if Petyr Baelish wins, the White Walkers, and to see Sansa and Arya naked.

The Leftovers, Fargo, New Twin Peaks.

I like to pretend the series ended once the War of the Five Kings ended.
Everything after it is boring as fuck and literally fan fiction tier.

The books get worse

It's bloated by adding new subplots faster than they are resolved

He gets killed by Arya this season.

>hardcore into the lore

Kek, what lore? Zombies on the other side of Hadrian's Wall? It's literally all lifted straight from European history.

The show went to shit because the books went to shit. Martin realized he doesn't know how to end the series with anything other than cliches and fantasy tropes, so he's been stalling for time until he dies by releasing 2 books (really one extremely bloated book) in which jack shit happens over the last 12 years.

Can someone post those "nailed it" comparison images?

>to see if Petyr Baelish wins
I bet you only even like him because he's CIA.

GRRM likes to keep it somewhat vague and mysterious, but there's quite a bit of lore. Dawn age, age of heroes, Andal invasion, rise and doom of Valyria, Nymeria's thousand ships, Blackfyre rebellions... Hell, we know about the lives of every Targaryen king since Aegon the Conqueror.

What do you know! The exact same problem the books have.

Don't forget fantasy war of the roses

GRRM literally just ripped off (badly) The Accursed Kings.

is that bad though? it made me love aiden gillen

>Show is a success
>gets slowed down and altered to appeal to a broader audience
TV isn't about making art, it's about making money obviously. You'd be retarded to miss out on all the gurrl and normie money.

No, he's honestly a great actor so even if something as silly as Baneposting is what made you notice him, the important thing is that you noticed him.

He could have vocally protested about it and his fans would have ripped D and D a new one.

Because Game of Thrones falls further and further from being good with every book. The story just gets too convoluted and dives too far into the fantasy element. Characters are all tarnished with complex story. There's just no real hero. That died with Ned Stark.

Because the first book was tightly plotted and well written. In fact, the first three books were. Then gurm made a bad call and the story got away from him. He fell behind schedule trying to write himself out of a corner and make sense of his timeline. Incidentally his last two books didn't manage to advance the plot by much, but contained a lot of "world building" (filler chapters, nonsensical subplots), making a them mostly useless for tv adaptation. So gurm's writing took a hit in quality and speed, and this forced D&D to add more of their terrible OC, gradually making the show worse.

And since gurm couldn't be arsed to finish TWOW in time, season 6 was completely written by D&D.

No, I fucking hate that meme, I just always like the schemers who pull the strings, makes for a more interesting story than half of the other bland characters

The Young Pope is the only true kino

.....A naked Arya?

It's the "Lost" dilemma. You come up with an awesome beginning and everyone's hooked, but you havent thought of an ending. The """mystery""" that ties everything together is a sham.

It becomes gradually more obvious.

The author blew his creative load. The writing is still talented but it isn't going anywhere. So the showrunners took over, who are not even talented let alone creative. That's why it just feels like completely uninspired schlock fantasy now.

Because the story has been altered to filter in modern identity politics. That's why there are so many female-centric plotlines now and why everything has really gone to garbage. I can't imagine how hard they had to fight to keep in the Sansa rape stuff.

Resurrecting Jon Snow was the turning point into pure drivel.

Contrast this event with Eddard Stark's abrupt beheading.

This.

I can't believe they took the liberty to leave out the shitting in the grass scene.

The Fat Man wants more HBO money.

/thread

The first season had a better distribution of screne time for the quality actors vs the shit tier actors. After season 1, they slowly started to shift towards prioritizing screne time towards a very small number of the characters, with each season getting worse in this regard and more quality actors being killed off (though they were following the books in this regard), and now we are left with 1 or maybe 2 quality actors, and they barely make up a 1/10th of the screne time.

I mean, I get why they put all of their quality actors with large contracts into the roles that get killed off. They want the audience to really care about those deaths to make the show seem epic, and cutting those contracts early helps them utilize that money for sets and cgi dragons/zombies. Ultimately, they took a bunch of risks with the young/unknown actors and hoped they would be able to sufficiently carry the show in the late stages, which unfortunately, didn't come to pass.

What good actors they have left are being under used due to their characters being absolutely butchered by story changes, with the exception of maybe Davos, but his character has become stale since the abrupt horribly written ending of Stannis.

GOT has literally nothing going for it at this point besides everyone just wanting to see it end. Wether that's because they hate it or have invested too much time and want to see the conclusion, or both, the fact is, D&D fucked up what could have been an epic 8-10 season long show.

Bringing Jon back isn't bad necessarily. It's foreshadowed by Thoros and Beric. However, it has no fucking repercussions. What they should have done is had Jon warg into Ghost as he died. Thus, when Meli resurrects him, Jon's spirit isn't their to be restored. So something else takes his place. Something related to the Great Other. As an audience we're not sure what to make of new Jon. He's clearly not the same person but he looks like good ol' Jon, right? He abandons the Night's Watch and marches south to declare himself King of the North. Stannis sacks Winterfell, defeating the Boltons. Jon rocks up with a Wilding army chatting shit about his rightful claim to the North. Who do normies root for? Evil!Jon or Stannis? And then at some point, Jon's spirit gets restored and we get old Jon back and boring people can cheer.

But holy fuck what we got was just 'hey death means literally nothing now!!!'

Thoughts on Death Note?

The writing does go off the cliff.

The books were stretched out too much.
Too many characters are constantly introduced, too many die with no real rhyme or reason.

The entire looming threat from the north should have happened books/seasons ago, instead it's just a constant buildup where even the buildups themselves don't hit as hard given how far they're space out along the narrative.

he doesn't declare himself king of the north, everyone else chose him to be king

The anime is kino, the live-action films were okay, and the american one is going to be shit.

Ya, I think ultimately they missed a good opportunity there. GRRM was obviously trying to make the direwolves more important than they ended up being in the show, and with Ghost/Jon specificaly, it seemed like he was always on the edge of wargging.

Maybe the souls of normal people reside within their bodies/aura around their bodies for a short amount of time, and so the fire magic is still capable of bringing them back. But with Jon, his soul goes into Ghost and becomes one with Ghost. So when Meli pulls him back, it kills Ghost/Ghost's shell, and pulls this new hybrid Jon/Ghost soul back into Jon's body. So "new Jon" will still have old Jon's memories (more or less), but now he also has Ghosts "I don't take no shit from anyone" attitude and basically is out for revenge/blood.

Well yeah it was how awful the resurrection was done.

It was like GoT role-playing as GoT. Fanfic-tier

Yeah but thats still deviation from the books. Presumably they did it because they realized they were gonna have to cut some shit and thought Dorne would be a good place to start, but as soon as they move away from the books they went to shit. The first few seasons by comparison are virtually exact retellings of the first few books.

The books definitely have their flaws (getting stuck in sideplots, some shit writing) but GRRM is great at the overarching plot and politics. Too bad he wrote himself into a corner and we'll probably never see it actually finished.

They have time to fix this in the show, even if she can pull off shit like blowing up the sept (which she'll probably do in the books too) its not going to pan out in her favor. Getting her way =/= smart.

Right on. I feel the same way.

>too many die with no real rhyme or reason.
This is a big problem. He kills characters not to serve any greater purpose in the plot, but just to go "Surprise! I killed that character you weren't expecting me to kill!"

The plot meanders in circles because all characters who can possibly progress the plot keep dying.

It's pretty much confirmed that all of the stark kids are wargs, one of the parts I was sad they cut from the show.
Agreed that they fucked up the resurrection though, it happens pretty much instantaneously, Jon barely seems different for it (when its established that dying fucks you up), and then no one talks about it at all.

First season was the one that most closely followed the books. Season 2 also followed closely but they started making troubling changes. To me, the series lost its charm by season 3. Season 5 is when I stopped watching cause D&D showed that they absolutely could not write a decent plot to save their lives.

The stopped using the books as scripts. And the writers are shit.

The books only really confirm Bran as a warg. While having a strong connection, none of the other kids are ever shown warging or having knowledge that they warged. Arya for example is shown dreaming of being a wolf, and you can assume she is a passenger in Nymeria, but she has no control and she only see's them as dreams. Robb used Grey Wind in every sense of the word and ended up keeping him in a cage, so I think we can assume no warging was done there. Jon may have warged, but most likely on in dreams like Arya. He would have been to afraid to admit it early on because it is tied to wildings and he wouldn't want his brothers finding out. Rickon is a savage and probably lets Shaggy Dog warg into him. Sansa Lady early on but she probably would never have been able to open her mind anyways.

HBO is the same faggot group of people that have both Bill Mahar and the current year goblin. What do you think?

they ran out of actual books to use...so being HBO they just wanted to fill it with faggotry, feminism and outright retardation.

There's a lot more evidence for it than that.

Arya's wolf dreams directly correspond with events confirmed by other PoV's (finding Cat's body, attacks on Freys etc). She also directly wargs the cat when she's blind and training with the faceless men. There's not a strong distinction between taking control and just co-inhabiting their head, as explained by Brann's chapters where he wargs hodor.

Robb doesn't have a PoV but Greywind isn't locked up all the time. There are several times where Cat sees him sitting staring into a fire for hours on end while Greywind is let loose, then he mysteriously knows enemy troop locations, etc- it's heavily implied he's warging in some capacity.

The best evidence for Jon warging is his spirit going into Ghost when he gets stabbed, but thats obviously not confirmed yet. He also has the same wolf dreams as arya which is a precursor to deliberate intentional warging.

Rickon is said to be "lost" in shaggy dog or something to that effect. Again, lacks a pov so it's hard to tell but Brann implies it.

Sansa can't warg because Lady was killed

The show was been going downhill since season 4. The plot went off the rails and now feels amateurish. I don't give a shit about any of the characters anymore and the only reason I keep watching is because I want to know how this shitshow ends.

Additionally, GRRM has also confirmed all the stark kids are wargs

Why the fuck was Danaerys in the show from season 1? She hasn't done literally anything that matters to rest of Westeros. She got the first army, loses that. We didn't need to see it. Then she gets another army and loses that. We didn't need to see it. She hasn't had an arc, isn't different from the beginning, so why bother putting her in the show? It's just a fucking waste of time, she's easily the dullest character in the entire show yet people seem to froth her.

Her arc is "learning what it means to rule" or some shit to that effect. Mereen and the slaver cities are a thinly veiled analogy to Iraq & the middle east. She's obviously also heavily involved in Westeros's end game.

Unfortunately GRRM appears to be incapable of planning actual concrete plot points more than a book or so ahead, so she's been stuck there for years and he'll more likely that not die before he writes the part where she actually retakes westeros

>GRRM is an autistic genius
>genius

what website do you watch it on?

I always got the impression stannis ruled over one wet keep and nothing more.

Tyrion has been barely more than a prop for over two seasons

Jamie has had such little character development and every time he does it's either negated or ignored to fit the plot

Cersei was interesting in the last season for the first time since season 2

everyone is sick of Dany

John Snow had the most boring and meaningless comeback of all time

Jorah is fucking around in God knows where and will probably only have another 20 minutes of screen time next season

it's over, the show sucks

grrms writing suffered in the later books, especially after killing off the better characters like tywin and replacing them with boring garbage. and once the shows writers got past the books, it got even worse, nothing but feminist garbage and retarded writing.

This must be bait, the only time anyone views her as anything but bitter and hysterical is when it's her pov.

This, only sensible answer

The show got worse for 2 reasons

1- The books got worse

2-Grrm writing is ridiculously slow and now the show writers are creating OC. They are good at complementing the books, like that part with Arya - Tywin, but they suck when actually creating plots