What was Smaug's tax policy?

What was Smaug's tax policy?

100%

>be fire-breathing dragon
>need to be surrounded by cold metal in order to maintain body temperature
did Smaug do anything wrong?

Man Tolkien was a fucking hack.

>Revenge! The King under the Mountain is dead and where are his kin that dare seek revenge? Girion Lord of Dale is dead, and I have eaten his people like a wolf among sheep, and where are his sons’ sons that dare approach me? I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong, strong

Not a single line from Saug about taxes, or at the very least about shitting!

you could say it was... draconian

>Not a single line from Saug about taxes

What did Smaug do for a living? Where did he eat? Did he just casually walk into a grocery store?

d f p

He didn't have to part a single coin thanks to his legal loopholes

Could Smaug die from old age?

hehe

more like DRAGONian hahahahahahaaa

What were Smaug's views on women? Did have a wife that he loved with little dragon children?

"Fork it over or die."

I think The Hobbit mentions that dragons "Live practically forever" or somesuch. It's not really specified further than that.

He was a neet. He moved into the Dwarves' home and never left.

Smaug was the only good part of the Hobbit movies

Well, Smaug and that awesome barrel riding scene.

Yes, little dragon children in little dragon cradles. Typical JRR Hackien not to weite about how Bilbo and the dwarves handled that dilemma.

>City declares all wealth from Dwarven mountain is tax free to boost business
>Smaug gets jewels embedded in his skin
>Smaug is now tax exempt
Lucky bastard

Trickle Down Economics

All tax revenue went to Smaug and whatever trickled down from the Lonely Mountain belonged to the people of Lake Town.

Why were the Elves so racist that they didn't want to bring the Haradrim with them to the West?

I actually miss this meme

I guess he could just chill on his gold forever then, unless he has to eat.

Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. The Hobbit had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Dain became king and reigned for 78 years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Dain's tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these dragons? By the end of the war, Smaug is gone but all of the dragons aren’t gone – they’re in the north. Did Dain pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby dragons, in their little dragon cradles? The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of Dwarfdom, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark dragons and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

I open Sup Forums today and almost instantly see 3 threads about taxes. Can someone explain what this is about?

see tolkien did an interview 3 years ago about taxes and tolkien and some faggot spammed about it non-stop all fucking day long

GRRM's comment was crafted to demonstrate how Tolkien's fantasy works only as far as high fantasy can. Tolkien's narrator never goes into the nitty-gritty of taxation because there is simply no conflict between the elite and their servants; the underclass never aspires to be anything but underclass. Agency is ascribed only to Tolkien's heroes, not to the unwashed masses. GRRM's fantasy is, conversely, democratic. The fantasy readership has expanded from Tolkien's time to encompass wider, more diverse tracts of the populace, and what's 'nitty-gritty' for a king is life-changing for a peasant. Believe it or not, the working class has a voice too, one that'a been neglected for far too long. At the heart of this meme is affected aristocratic contempt and class hatred

But Tolkien is not high fantasy, as middle earth is our earth. GRRMs schlok is high fantasy because he has never confirmed or denied it taking place on earth.

Every single POV character in ASOIAF is a noble, and the only people angry about taxes in his works are the nobility.

Sorry let me correct myself. Every POV character excluding the prologue/epilogue one offs, and of course everyone's favorite Areo "I am just a fucking camera for the audience" Hotah.

It's like The Hobbit was written as Child's Book on purpose.

Really Bombadil's my Tom.

There is no depth to anything GRRM writes about. It's just an edgy thirteen year's idea of what the Middle Ages were like.

>so there is a dwarf and everyone hates him
>but he really witty and cool XD
>and religion is dumb and taxes are too damn XD
>feminism dude!!!

Why did they kill the dragon again?
>all that build up for literally nothing

Why didn't Smaug release his tax return? Even the greedy dwarves did it.

A flat tax of 100% for all sorts of investments and incomes.

end yourself

Can someone give me a quick rundown on this meme?

There is no depth to anything JRRT writes about. It's just an edgy thirteen year's idea of what the Norse Mythology was like.

>so there is a ranger and everyone hates him
>but he really cool and is actually the king XD
>and industry is dumb and spooky caves are too damn XD
>Elves dude!!!

And GURM himself never wrote what Tyrion's tax policy was. Or anyone else's. He's just a huge hypocrite.

someone is trying to force it hard

Some fucking autistic retards been spamming tax posts all day trying to start his retarded meme.

This is why autists need to be purged

Epa, what did we do to you.

Basically
It's been incubating in /got/ for a few years and finally seems to have made its way out.

100%

Nice try GRRM, but that was explained. Don't you have 4 more books to write.

>Finished his series in 3 years

Tolkien took over 10 years to write LOTR, and never even finished the Silmarillion.

Back to Sup Forums, kiddo

The purpose of Lord of the Rings is not boring details, it's actual storytelling with good, fleshed out characters.

I'm sure if Tolkien gave a shit he could stretch LotR into 10 books while selling the rights to a bunch of hacks who will ruin the story for bookfags waiting 20 years to see it's end

Just so you know, Tolkien never finished his work. 90% of it remains in perpetual state of scribble and assumption.

That is so Kafkaesque.

Go here m8's

I think the idea in the image is that when he had a clear story people expected him to write and finish, he got to it and dedicated himself to doing just that.

The Silmarillion was never something he really had a publisher for, it wasn't tied to promises he made, beyond any he made to himself.

GRRM treats his main body of work with a fanbase that expects him to work on it, the same way Tolkien treated a pet project he had on the backburner while engaged in other work.

>while many like you demand maps, others wish for geological indications rather than places; many want Elvish grammars, phonologies, and specimens; some want metrics and prosodies— not only of the brief Elvish specimens, but of the 'translated' verses in less familiar modes, such as those written in the strictest form of Anglo-Saxon alliterative verse (e.g. the fragment at the end of the Battle of the Pelennor, V vi 124). Musicians want tunes, and musical notation; archaeologists want ceramics and metallurgy. Botanists want a more accurate description of the mallorn, of elanor, niphredil, alfirin, mallos, and symbelmynë; and historians want more details about the social and political structure of Gondor; general enquirers want information about the Wainriders, the Harad, Dwarvish origins, the Dead Men, the Beornings, and the missing two wizards (out of five)