How do you save this franchise?

How do you save this franchise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw
youtube.com/watch?v=ih_l0vBISOE
fanfiction.net/s/9658524/1/Branches-on-the-Tree-of-Time
deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/
youtube.com/watch?v=EEJMDet82Hk&t=29s&ab_channel=moviebob
youtu.be/96Ahq4NU1E8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it doesn't need saving, it's killer robots, make something original, terminator lore isn't nearly good enough to care

cute waifu robots

you kill it dead and erase everything after T2.

This.

No more time travel. Show the war like the battle scenes in 1 & 2.

have Arnold play his age, and for a change, not a terminator.

i remember before terminator geneses there was this rumor about the plot being Arnold playing the inspiration for the terminator.

it wouldve been a neat thing having Arnold play this human character who eventually ends up the inspiration for Skynet's T-800's

but honestly, what the series needs to do is become simple again, be Rated R again, and have effort again. AKA use practical effects and only use CG for enhancement.

the T-1000 in T-2 was almost 85% practical effects. pretty much the only CG was for transformation effects. but parts where he gets cut in half or blown open were practically done and they looked better for it.

give it back to Cameron.

Look at Aliens, one of the best action movies of all time and my favorite movie. What happens when we finally get the soldiers vs aliens moment? They take their guns away because muh reactor primary cooling.

Terminator has become muh reactor primary cooling. Terminator is supposed to kill people. The fear of them putting their hand down your throat and ripping your fucking heart out is gone. Bring it back!

Make it a never ending anthology of films set in various time periods and locations.
>Wild west terminator
>WW2 terminator
>Robin hood terminator
>Ancient Greek terminator (twist is terminator is the one who inspired Hercules myths)
>

They just need a scene where a terminator just nonchalantly walks down a hallway of people shooting at it while it follows its target. and then the one guy who gets in its way instantly gets his head crushed.

This is fear and better than any Terminator scene.

for how much terminators get hyped as close = too late, there's been way too many scenes of people running between their legs to escape unharmed

the initial concept for the terminator in T-1 was supposed to be a robot who can blend in with the crowd. an ordinary looking character who could be anyone. that went out the window when Arnold was cast because he doesnt blend in at all-

but the T-1000 had shades of that since he looked more like a normal person. (and blended in looking like a cop)

T-1 was also basically a slasher movie. It's a Slasher movie but with a sci-fi bend.

maybe they should actually try and play more to that slasher aspect of the concept, and actually do a terminator who blends in perfectly and can be anyone anywhere- without the gimmick of transformation that the t-1000 had.

of course the main problem with the series is that you cant make a convincing story if the good guy is some random person each time, and manages to win. the series is trapped by it's own plot, and by the audience expectations. people EXPECT a story that has something to do with John Connor or Sarah Connor, because the original 2 told us they were basically the 2 most important people to skynet's existence, and people expect Arnold to be in it because he is THE face of the franchise.

Crossover with Robocop.

that crossover comic was some great shit.

Hand to Hand, who would win: T-800 or The Mountain (book version)?

>franchise
That's the problem. There should have only been 2 movies.

pretty much this but add that universal studios 3d show too.

>i remember before terminator geneses there was this rumor about the plot being Arnold playing the inspiration for the terminator.

This was a deleted scene in T3:

youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

who wants to kill who? I can understand Predator wanting to kill the alien, but where does that leave Terminator? also who am i supposed to side with?

First, why does it need saving? It should just be left alone.

Second, if I was tasked with it, I would just make a movie near the end of the Future War -- I'd come up with some explanation as to why it still happened.

And I would use FAR MORE practical effects to mimic how T1/T2 looked.

I remember that, but i remember there was a rumor about the movie having Arnold as some human badass main character. which would have been a nice twist, where Arnold is the human and not the robot

In this timeline Skynet won and runs in to aliens after it develops warp jump hyperspace gravity drive systems.

You can't. It went down the shitter with T2.

>T1
Basically a slasher film with unstoppable murdering robot played by a menacing looking bodybuilder, pretty much Jason Voorhees with a metallic skeleton, trying to kill a defenseless young girl a few year before total nuclear holocaust happens.

>T2
LOOK MOM I MET THIS EVIL GUY FROM THE FIRST MOVIE EXCEPT NOW HE'S A GOOD GUY AND ALSO MY PERSONAL TRAINED DOG HEY TERMINATOR STAND ON ONE LEG AND BARK HAHA HE ACTUALLY DID IT THIS IS SO RAD AND AWESOME MY PERSONAL KILLER ROBOT DO I GET TO KEEP HIM MOOOOOM PLEEEEEASE ???

The first film was something like Halloween while the second film was pretty much Iron Giant with the same chase scenes recreated but with a comical twist and chock full of cheap family friendly sentimentality, complete with the Old Yeller moment as the robot kills himself by jumping into a pile of melted steel.

That's basically Terminator 4. Which then again, shouldn't have been done.

>the initial concept for the terminator in T-1 was supposed to be a robot who can blend in with the crowd. an ordinary looking character who could be anyone. that went out the window when Arnold was cast because he doesnt blend in at all
They went all the way to pre-production intending for Arnold to play Kyle Reese and Lance Henriksen to play The Terminator

I wonder how different the world would be if that had happened. I feel like it really could have worked and been pretty great but it wouldn't have ended up as a megafranchise afterwards.

>T-800 or The Mountain (book version)?
arnie

It cant be saved. Hollywood changed. Humans lost the war.
Skynet develops every movie for maximum profit.
Not risks or creative license allowed.

*tips*

oh god

that version makes more sense but I am glad it turned out the way it did. Lance would have been too good at pretending to be human. Arnie is very believable as a robot.

>people honestly thinking the effects are the issue
>not the atrocious writing
>not the terrible performances
>not the bland direction
>not the forgettable soundtracks

I hate reboots as much as the next guy, but I think Terminator is one series where it may actually be a good idea.

Time travel is already an inherently convoluted plot point, and then you have multiple sequels that have just made a mess of the "plot" to the point where it is now just ridiculous. At least with time travel they could work out a way to reboot the series with another timeline.

Aside from that, the movies just need to go back to their roots; an unstoppable killing machine from the future goes back in time to murder (the mother of) the future human resistance leader. That's it. Make the machines a menacing threat again. I know that Arnie wanted to play a good guy, and the whole "friendly Terminator" thing worked well in T2, but we need Terminators to be "terminators" again.

Terminator 3 was a straight-up comedy.

I don't even begrudge them that, I don't know why people are so assmad over it

Do you think a movie could be made entirely about the war with the machines?
I'm not talking about Salvation, but the James Cameron stuff. The future war scenes in T1 and at the beginning of T2 were so fun to watch, but was that because they were relatively short?

>Terminator 3 was a straight-up comedy.
Only until the graveyard scene, then it shifts to action.

>forgettable soundtracks
So much this. T3, T4 and Genysis basically sound like Call of Duty.

Eh, even a Band Of Brothers style future war pic is still leading up to one point: our heroes get to Skynet just as they're sending Arnie back in time, suddenly CGI de-aged cameo Michael Biehn appears - "...I'll do it... I'll go back..." Cut to T1.

Just seems so anti-climactic to me.

Why does this feel like Total Recall? It can't be just because it has Arnold.

The movie climaxes with the villain being slammed facefirst through a porcelain toilet

It would need to be stuff that is happening away from the main plot. I thought Terminator salvation was fine. Dont know it gets so much hate.

I totally see it

The Hauser tapes had the same lighthearted turned ominous tone featuring a Schwarzenegger character who doesn't feel like "the real Arnold"

The main reason I dislike it is because it didn't have lasers or that 80s futuristic/apocalypse look. The rest of it was okay, but there were too many contemporary elements that took me out of it.

I basically wanted this youtube.com/watch?v=ih_l0vBISOE as a movie. Likely wouldn't work, but I can at least dream.

That gunfire still looks so good. I wonder why they decided to stop using that effect.

You can't. For years, all anyone wanted was a look at the future and the war with Skynet just based on how badass the future scenes were in the first two. Salvation ruined that with its Terminator motorcycles and what not.

The whole "no fate but what we make vs. Judgment Day is inevitable" thing has been mined to death. There's nothing more you can do with that. The John/Sarah relationship has also been played out.

Whatever little interesting side stories worth exploring were done in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

It's done. Let it die.

Get rid of the Connors

Do a chase movie like the first two but instead the protag are other resistance members who'll do some important shit in the future

Or a movie with the resistance sending soldiers to kill the inventor of the time travel machine

Honestly there's a bunch of different interesting stuff you could do with this franchise

FFS just do a movie about Kyle Reese trying to survive in the post-apocalypse, dodging T-600s and escaping the concentration camps.

Give the Terminators AIMBOT as Skynet intended.

Have the Terminators swarm THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA.

UNDERWATER chase scenes. scuba vs terminator. ICTHYSNATOR! FISH ROBOTS!!!!

ROBOT PLANTS!!!! TOMATONATOR!!!!!

COW ROBOTS infiltrating the human's beef supplies!!

Just a movie about robot concentration camps would be interesting.
Scenes where T-600 are rounding up people peacefully and then the realization that they are fucked when they reach the camps.

It is supposed to be an orderly extermination.

I genuinely wonder why Skynet has to go full 1940s nazi with the extermination, I mean hoarding them in camps and all that hassle. Why not just bombard the entire planet with neurotoxins or some shit?

Has there ever been any movie that demonstrated how absolutely horrifying a combat robot with strong AI would actually be?

Because the Terminator franchise sure makes them job hard

Ski net only has access to America's nukes and some labs. Thats why the human resistance can actually fight it.

Once the bombs are all gone its actually quite weak. Rounding people up into camps makes sense if you present yourself as rescue. People wont resist then.

If you shoot on sight all the humans will run away.

Supposedly the camps were for study and experimentation, designing better terminators, poisons, etc.

>How do you save this franchise
fanfiction.net/s/9658524/1/Branches-on-the-Tree-of-Time
like this

Salvation was the right road to go down and was 100x better than Genesis.

Less time travel BS, less OMG REMEMBER THE ORIGINALS GUYS, more killer robots and apocalypse.

The main issue with Salvation was Sam Worthington again being shit, shoe horning Arnold in at the end, and revealing the tweest in the trailers. Meanwhile Genesis failed at every conceivable level and everything was terrible

Second renaissance although it kind of handwaves why nukes dont work.

>How do you save this franchise?

I dont have to

>deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/

Kyle Reese is done to death, it's pointless to do a movie about a character you know isn't going to die until 1984 in the timeline

New characters, if done right you could get completely surprised if they managed to kill some of them by competent Terminators

Terminator 4 futuristic wars look nothing like they did in T1 and T2. I guess lasers are to cheesy for a movie nowadays

Speilberg was going to make a movie about Robocalypse

He quit after World War Z (which is basically a companion piece to Robocalypse) became developmental hell and he found shit unintentionally funny, like how people walk up steep hills to avoid the robots on wheels.

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

There's a book series involving the Connors going to South America and some IRL Arnie guerrilla fighter covering there ass.

Well yes. I was only making a point.
>Terminator 3 flops critically, rightholders still want to make a new movie
"Let's just make it post-war"
>Salvation flops critically too
duhh let's just make it about time travel again
>Genysis happens

They've never cared about the presentation. They think the Terminator audience is made up of gullible idiots that'll just eat up anything they label as Sci-Fi.

>Salvation flops critically too
Because it was low budget desert apocalypse like the Resident Evil one. We want a night time Los Angeles battle. Not hard, but expensive.

Terminator Genesis was Kino.

Never seen Genesis, but Genysis was garbage.

>Los Angeles gets nuked to hell and back
>killer robots are deployed to exterminate the remaining population
I don't understand why some people think this would be a bad thing that we should strive to prevent.

World war z was a silly book but it had some cool parts in it. They managed to not include even one cool thing in the movie.

It can't be saved because it never made sense to begin with.

It created an infinite time loop. The world is always ending and being saved simultanously in different parallel universes forever.

you still need a plot. and war movies are pretty much overdone at this point.

i thought they took john in an interesting direction, dunno why they keep pushing a humanoid skynet though, it really sucks

Its always that way. A decentralized enemy or a wall of computers is too much for the audience.

Salvation was GOAT

*garbagekino

youtube.com/watch?v=EEJMDet82Hk&t=29s&ab_channel=moviebob

You should listen to MovieBob's way to save it.

You can only expect good opinions from him

>Wants a black actress lead BECAUSE she is black.
Retard alert.

This guy is saying that Terminator movies should be about disenfranchised men (who happen to be white in his examples) trying to stop a technofuture paradise ushered in by a black female genius (who we need specifically for the sake of it being a black female lead) where nerds rule and jokes drool.

This video is fucking brilliant. Im surprised its not posted more. Its so fucking stupid.

*jocks drool

the guy's whole life is a trainwreck

Fill me in.

Is he trolling? Its seems like a pretty good trolling routine.

There was a Sup Forums thread on him when the video was first posted

look up the guy's ED article.

I wish I could be in that thread for the tears and the people mocking this idiot.

Here's everything you need to know about Moviebob, straight from his own book

from his article:
>The autobiographical parts of the book are downright creepy. They tell about his psychotic obsession with Mario, his attempts to escape the real world with it and his desire to be Mario.

>He goes into some truly unsettling details about his life. For example: How his entire family hates him to the point that after work he would hide in his car and play Mario instead of going inside and facing them, how he got bullied in school and how disappointed he was by Yoshi's Island revealing that Mario was born in a fictional place and therefore Bob's schizophrenic delusions of being him were shattered. He equates Mario related events to the assassination of JFK and 9/11 and the Console Wars to the Vietnam War and talks about watching Transformers at the gym (his love for a children's shows continues to this day while his dedication to losing weight is long gone) or playing video games to overcome his grandmother's death while the rest of his relatives handle it like adults.

>The book ends on what Bob thinks is a positive note, but what any sane person would consider truly frighting, when he finally moves out of his parents' house at age 31 and goes on to live on his own with his plastic crap, vowing to dedicate himself to living a sad excuse for a life, doing nothing but playing video games until he dies.

There's also a pic of his living room jam packed with fucking nintendo and Mario shit EVERYWHERE.

That shit is gold. It took them a while to realize fighting Sup Forums is like fighting a retarded never ending bee hive.

Mite b cool but it would fuck up the time line too much

Ah that made me sad. Crazy people are everywhere.

The series should be a set of chess moves between Skynet and humans. Each movie is one set of agents sent through time, one human agent, one Skynet.

So, first movie you get the Terminator and Kyle Reese sent back, maybe they push Judgment Day to five years later or something.

Now Skynet knows that Sarah has five more years to prepare. It tries something different, the T-1000, because it's not really thinking out of the box yet.

After T2, THEN you can get crazy with it. Sarah Connor has a second pregnancy, and she raises this child to be a computer prodigy. His/her job is to make Skynet a benevolent AI instead of a murdermachine.

Or a strategy to make Skynet's architecture dependent on some rare mineral, then destabilize the world's supply of it. Or build a crippling flaw into Skynet.

Meanwhile, Skynet is trying its own things ... maybe it subtly tries to make Sarah Connor into a nihilist who doesn't give a shit if we all die by causing her to have a terrible childhood.

The basic idea is that it's a battle waged across time, where the moves actually change the players and their outlook.

Everything after T2 doesn't count, give it back to Cameron. The only place to go from the ending of t2 is the past and to just expand on the future war story but do it correctly.

4 erased 3, and 5 erased 4 and 3, and they were all shit.

Have the series be an anthology, half action and horror.

Let it take place in the future and have multiple perspectives. From feeble survivors to Resistance fighters.

I've always wanted to see another scenario like Kyle's nightmare involving different people.

youtu.be/96Ahq4NU1E8

There can still be references to John Connor too. Just have him in the background on a radio documenting the Resistance like in Salvation, but never actually see him.

Why didn't the Terminators just go back and kill John's ancestors back when there were no guns?

Link this to the jews asap!

go back in time and prevent it from being created

This feels like a scene from Robocop.

I never watched T3, does it have a lot of satire-like stuff in it?

No it's just completely garbage from beginning to end.

literally this.
If you were given control of the next Terminator, just make it a video which says, "Hello, my name is James Cameron. Nothing after Terminator 2: Judgement Day is canon or is worth your time. The story is finished with 2. You can all go home."

This, even though I don't mind T3 that much as its own thing.

Emily Blunt as Sarah Connor
Sebastian Stan as Kyle Reese
Sharlto Copley as John Connor
Arnold as the Terminator