What is the most important position in Quidditch and why is it Beater?

What is the most important position in Quidditch and why is it Beater?

Other urls found in this thread:

aminoapps.com/page/harry-potter/8872740/quadpot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>create a sport where a position can win it by itself with absolute no variables
What did JK Rowling mean by this

it makes tumblrinas feel special

Watch our national sport, it's a mix of Polo and Quidditch

she intended quidditch to be a satire of sportsball

inb4 ppl literally deny this

This has always bothered me,

Best way to balance it and still be batshit insane to fit in the whole wizard aesthetic is to make it worth 20 points and force the game to be over 10 minutes after the snitch is caught

The author

wow sexist much? it's 2017

No to mention that they have a whole position for something that is so fucking rare to achieve. At least the way I remember getting the Golden Snitch was not common.

I don't know anything about shitty Potter but I have seen scenes about this fantasy sport. Is there literally only one person who can catch the flying thing and win the game? If not why not make all your players chase the thingy. So what if you are losing by a lot of points if this one thing can win you the game instantly? Seems like its worth throwing all your resources at it?

Krum was the GOAT snatcher, he was faster and not a pussy

replace the golden snitch with a timer and you make the sport 100X better

>f not why not make all your players chase the thingy. So what if you are losing by a lot of points if this one thing can win you the game instantly? Seems like its worth throwing all your resources at it?
The sport is designed so that the main character in the books can be super OP and win the game by himself every time. Not even kidding.

>Black seekers

you don't win the game instantly, you get like a fuck ton of points and the game ends, but if you are losing by a million points it won't make a difference

Lol women are terrible at inventing sports

To be fair it wouldn't make alot of sense to make the whole team go after the golden snitch cause catch him won't gain the match instantly, and while everybody on the other team is looking your team would just keep scoring.

Why not get 3 really fat kids to sit in the goals and the others go to get the flying thing

what i don't understand is like, it is in england right, and no one watches football, i mean if i am from england i am a chelsea supporter or whatever, i wouldn't stop watching my team because i discovered i am a wizard, i know most people already know that and think common sports and stuff is dumb but honestly if am like hermione who grew up my whole life as a commoner i wouldn't stop watching footie to watch some fag uni sport.

unless you were referring to Rowling being sexist, the answer is no, not exist at all

There's a kid in the books who is a West Ham fan. He's also black iirc

Is there anything in the Harry Potter world that actually makes sense? The writing is dreadful.

By rule it happens once a game

In the books it accounts for like 75% of Gryffindor's wins lol

>"No!"

Even in the wizarding world, America makes their own versions of sports

aminoapps.com/page/harry-potter/8872740/quadpot

desu, this is 100% a better game than quidditch

Don't forget that players are allowed to have different equipment. It's like if one team was allowed aluminum bats and the other had wooden bats

>aminoapps.com/page/harry-potter/8872740/quadpot
>Exploding ball

>be black wizard Chelsea fan
>they don't let me on the train to Hogwarts
>miss the start of school
Ffs

>3 Chasers, 1 Keeper, 2 Beaters, and 1 Seeker
>3 rings
Why not employ 3 keepers (1 per ring), 2 beaters to protect them, and 2 seekers? Win every game 150-0

>parking the magical bus

I thought that was the only way the game could end?

Its for children

Like golf

You cant that’s against the rules?

So are sports

Too shay

Underrated comment

Is there a game/sport where this is analogous?

Like you can do all sorts of things but if you get this 1 thing luckily you win automatically

I suppose poker has a royal flush?

>fairybroom

>points can be arbitrarily awarded and deducted for entirely subjective reasons

>Dumblecup

Hello Jose.

seeker in quidditch is similar to quarterback in american football, you can't really win shit without a good one

I think it's called overtime in the NFL

nigga you dumb as fuck. Power is all about the stronger hand, and RF is the strongest hand that's why it's an auto win. You don't just "magically" win because of it, it's the best scenario that's why you win. It follows a progression of hand strength. That's like saying the quidditch shit is analogous to a hole-in-one in golf.

A better example would be a one-punch KO in points-based combat sports. Getting the higher points is the point of the sport, but knocking someone out is an autowin since they physically can't continue fighting anymore.

9-ball pool also has a lucky automatic win scenario when breaking. Potting in the 9-ball wins you the game. I think it only works for breaking though since in most tourneys you have to point out what and where the ball will pot when you shoot.

Poker*

I'm surprised no one has called you out here. This isn't true. Catching the Snitch isn't an automatic win.
To no one's surprise, Sup Forums doesn't read and has no idea what they're talking about, but speaks confidently on what little their tiny brains gleaned from the movies.

good autism
dumbcunt

RF isnt auto win you gotta get your hand to showdown, you dont just get to collect the chips when you get it

What semantics are you even arguing? Fuck yourself

Sounds like American sports desu. You guys are obsessed with heroball.

This. By that logic a straight flush and any other good hand are also autowins as long as you have the nuts.

Why would anyone care about some make up sport from one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

based

It's rich mans sport for sure but the wizarding world is stupid as fuck anyway. Get some carbon fibre broomsticks for fucks sake

fantastic post

>sport created by a woman

That answers every question you could possibly have about this "sport"

I didn't know >mouyes posted in here

>mark twain in shit tier
>no 1984
What did /lit/ mean by this

Ladies and gentlemen, your Gryffindor MVP

>no atlas shrugged in god tier
Great job ruining the meme faggot

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember reading something about winning or losing not mattering in quidditch. It all depends on the amount of points you score, so even if you won every game but only scored the bare minimum to win you could still lose the title to a team that lost 99% of their games but every game was high scoring.

The difference is that the game doesn't automatically end when you win a hand with a Royal Flush. It's the distribution of the chips that determines when the game ends in tournament poker, not the strength of any individual hand.

>le catch the snitch but still lose man! XD
Fuck off.

Mad you didn't think of it first?

The House Quidditch Cup at Hogwarts was determined by points differential. So you could quite feasibly win the league having suffered two narrow defeats as long as you steamrolled your opponents in the third game.

The fact that the final round of fixtures was not played simultaneously also meant that there was massive potential for match-fixing.

kek

If I recall, the Quidditch World Cup by those rules, at least. There was actually a PS2 game where I could check it, but
>effort

*wasn't by those rules

>atlas shrugged in the first place
do u even /lit/

The Quidditch World Cup was a knockout tournament, which made far more sense given how variable the scores can be.

Yeah. One would hope that the Hogwarts system would be restricted to Hogwarts and the pro leagues would use a more sensible system like the one we use in football. Kinda wish the books had cleared that up at some point.

You're not exactly wrong. Just look at baseball. One homer can win an entire game.

The seeker is the equivalent to if an NFL game having a 1v1 going on in the background where the winner of it would get 30 points and automatically end the game.

In the books in most cases it serves as the win except in the quiddich world cup with krum catching the snitch resulting in bulgaria losing 160-150, why he caught the snitch without waiting for his team to get another point i'll never know.

>why he caught the snitch without waiting for his team to get another point i'll never know
He knew it wasn't gonna happen and he was bleeding half to death at that point, so he decided to end the match on his terms.

Krum is like the Cristiano of Quidditch i.e. a selfish tosser.

the most ridiculous thing about quidditch is Ireland making it to the final of an international competition.

>be kid
>read hp
>think quidditch rules and krum especially retarded but you start doubting yourself because no one can come up with this shit unironically

>itt a bunch of people act like they know anything of how Quidditch works despite having never read the books and maybe having seen a couple movies

Come on now.

what a nice picture

>it's a peabrained Potter tumblrite faggots get peeved off when people mock and tear their stupid fantasy sport into the stupid disjointed mess it is

Just pull a Krum and leave the thread while you're behind, pencilwands.

It's a children's book and honestly the game would have held up real well if it was only 50 points or something

It's worth 150. That's 10 regular scores. And desu I would imagine most quidditch matches being pretty high scoring.

Idk about you guys but Harry Potter is super fucking comfy. Especially the first several movies.

Atlas Shrugged is so far up its own arse it should be non-fiction. In fact, I consider it non-fiction and some kind of fever dream by that bitch of a writer because it literally goes out of its way to read DOWN to its fucking audience that her way is the only way--though flawed--and that if everyone thought like her no one would be fucked over by "the man". It's a horrid book.

Read the books. Prisoner of Azkaban is comfy as fuck.

>The Stranger
>God Tier

>Notes From Underground
>Low Tier

LMAOing at you right now

>Quidditch
is it some kind of jewish sport?

Richard Hammond, is that you?

The PS2 game was pretty fun. Good times

>massive potential for match fixing
>he doesn't know about Raj Wizard Perumal

You win by chasing gold, who else would be behind this (((sport)))?

wow you have bad taste

Tennis injuries are hilarious. Ask a sports bettor.

>he doesn't watch the Harry Potter and LotR movies every fall and winter

patrician taste

Extended edition LOTR?

Really the only extended scene that is any good is the Mouth of Sauron. All the other ones felt kind of Hobbit-y almost