How the hell did anybody in Bateman's building not hear his chainsaw and maniacal yelling?

How the hell did anybody in Bateman's building not hear his chainsaw and maniacal yelling?
Fucking dropped and immersion blown.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's all in his head. The movie made this perfectly clear. Did you not watch the last 20 mins?

leave Sup Forums forever.

Where in new york city can you even buy a chainsaw?

Didn't the author say he definitely killed all those people though?

They thought it was the cleaners vaccuming.

It doesn't matter.

I've read the book and it makes it clear that none of it happened.

The building had good soundproofing.

the director, author, and scriptwriter all specifically stated it was all real

your interpretation defeats the entire purpose of the movie.

something something yuppies something self-absorbed something something 80's something or other

No it doesn't.

Bret always went on record as saying that SOME of the murders definitely happened.

Then the movie came out, some people came up with the theory that it was ALL in his head, and Bret just went along with it because he thought it sounded cooler.

The scene in OP's pic was 100% fantasy.

You're wrong.

>Bret always went on record as saying that SOME of the murders definitely happened.

Old fag here. I actually read the book when it came out. I distinctly remember the author making this claim.

You're wrong and no one cares.

Does the answer even matter? The movie is still fucking hilarious.

>no source

Jesus fucking christ

No actually he's spot on.

they just assumed that crazy guy in the expensive apartment was up to his usual shenanigans again and don't want to disturb for they may incur his wrath

New York Chainsaws and Yamakas.

Did the ATM really ask him to feed it a cat?

>your interpretation defeats the entire purpose of the movie.
There's no purpose beyond simple entertainment behind any movie, besides Video Games, movies are the most vapid form of media.

Yes. Bank of America has questionable business practices in the 80s.

I got my yamaka from there last year

The point of the movie is that dangerously sick men like Patrick Batemen exist and nobody will do anything about it.

It doesn't matter if the murders are real or not, only that society turns a blind eye to his bizarre behaviour.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Nigga gotta eat something besides paper all day

Rooney Mara in the bio-pic when?

underrated replies

>immersion
oh fuck off

The author is a legitimate dipshit that got BTFO by a women who directed the film.
She literally did the book better than he did

t. someone who read the book

He did all of the murders. That's the goddamn point.

The point of the scene is that everyone was so self absorbed that they didn't notice someone shouting outside of their doors. It's the movie's entire motif.

They were all out returning videotapes you fucking retard

That was sort of the punchline to the book. All these grotesque, gruesome murders, all these unimaginable atrocities committed. (And the book is WAY more fucked up than the movie). And in the end, when Bateman tries to confess, nobody believes him. They don't even know he is Patrick Batsman. In the world of this story, people are so vapid, so self-centered, so interchangeable that they confuse each other all the time and don't care at all for each other. The irony lies in the fact that by them all trying to be as perfect as possible and on the surface being very successful (they all look perfect, earn tons of money etc) they don't stand out at all anymore. Batman's violence is a desperate outcry for someone to even recognize his existence and the try to do anything remotely meaningful with his existence. Ironically Bateman is the MOST human of his peers since they appear all content with this hellish existence without any real uncynical meaning or value while he at least on a subconscious level is deeply disturbed by it.

I think the last 20 minutes imply both that a part of all this was only in his head (he's a psycho after all), and that people of his social status can get away with practically anything - their misdeeds will be almost automatically covered up and cleaned up without anyone noticing or giving a shit (and also that people in his upper-class yuppie world are so shallow and personality-lacking that they can be easily mistaken for one another, and so self-absorbed that they don't really care whether the guy they're meeting is that very guy or someone else).

He should have confessed to Dafoe. That would have gotten some results.

these two posts are correct

Maybe he did kill some and imagined killing others or he's going to do these things. Like everyone in the movie that you don't see get killed are the people he actually did kill.

>How the hell did anybody in Bateman's building not hear his chainsaw and maniacal yelling?

As if anyone in NY would give a shit about what's happening outside their apartment,

>watched this as a teen
>thought the murders happened because of the woman trying to rent his apartment
>everywhere I read online said it was all imagined
>was never convinced

I was a stupid as fuck teenager but even I managed to grasp that it was at best ambiguous.

This.
This is the best giveaway that at least one of the things happened, probably more.

the author said it could be both ways and he doesnt want to give a definite answer. i think he started out writing it as real but when he went a little crazy with the things he made bateman do and then decided maybe its just in his head.