Babylon 5

Discuss?

Wondering if it's possible to just skip season 1 and get right in to season 2. It mostly just seems like filler.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZapAjjTDbh4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's possible, but everyone in /b5/ will laugh at you if you do.

Seems like a waste of time. A lot of development when the main character ends up leaving at the end anyway.

Haven't watched the show in years, but looking at an episode list, could you skip everything but Midnight on the Firing Line, Signs and Portents, Voice in the Wilderness, Babylon Squared, and Chrysalis?

You were watching the wrong guy. The main character is actually Londo and G'Kar.

Poor ,man's DS9

Yeah, it was so good, they stole the idea.

No dont skip it, but you can skip the last season its kind of bad compered to the rest of it.

Babylon 5 is a ripoff of Star Trek.
Star Trek is a ripoff of Forbidden planet.
Forbidden Planet is a ripoff of The Tempest.
The Tempest is a ripoff of Naufragium and De orbe novo.

Really makes me think, Meester Garabaldi.

>all space drama's are a ripoff of star trek
You're kidding right?

>all space station dramas are ripoffs of Babylon 5
You're kidding, right?

DS9 was actually developed by Brandon Tartikoff to be a ripoff of The Rifleman.
>father and son, keeping the peace, out on the edge of the frontier
>IN SPACE

His son doesn't do shit, and actually works against him later in the show.

But whatever. It's pretty clear how much DS9 ripped off B5.

I got a top mark in one of my A-level papers by spending half of it arguing that the Tempest was Sci-Fi, must have amused the moderator... shame about the rest of my work...

>Anyway back on topic
I'd agree with OP and say skip series 1 if it were not for a couple of amazing episodes and a few threads that get unpicked throughout.

Just make sure you skip episode 14; that's total garbage!

Way to completely miss the point.

DS9 was actually developed by Brandon Tartikoff to be a ripoff of The Rifleman, not a ripoff of Babylon 5. Part of ripping off The Rifleman is that DS9 was originally going to be set ON Bajor-- on the ground of the planet itself-- and not on a space station in orbit. The reason why DS9 is set on a space station instead is that the producers realized that their budget was too small for regular outdoor location shooting.

It's similar to B5, but the similarities arise because of coincidences and happenstance, not deliberate attempts to rip off.

Go actually read some behind-the-scenes shit instead of just making shit up on your own.

>wondering if it's possible to just skip season 1 and get right in to season 2. I

you´re an adult now my man, everything you want is possible.

>Go actually read some behind-the-scenes shit instead of just making shit up on your own.
You mean like you're doing? lol. You sound like some Trek fanboy trying to cover up and justify their blatantly ripping off of a series they were pitched and turned down, but then later released themselves. You'd have to be blind to completely disregard all the similarities.

I'd watch season one. Don't worry about losing the character: season 1 is great.
Every episode will give you new mysteries, and every answer brings more questions. They genuinely did a good job building mystery.

Yeah, you caught me. I totally made up Brandon Tartikoff and The Rifleman. Those don't actually exist, they're just in my imagination.

Also, I'm really disregarding all the similarities. That's why I just said "It's similar to B5", because I want to deny that it's similar to B5. You caught me good. Great job.

You keep saying this shit like it's supposed to mean something, and it's not even credited as a major source of inspiration for the show.

>You keep saying this shit like it's supposed to mean something
The #1 similarity between DS9 and B5 is that they're both set on a space station.

You think the DS9 producers saw B5 using a space station and decided to copy it, but the truth is that the DS9 producers were trying to copy the setup of The Rifleman, and they went with a space station because that was the best option within their budget.

It does mean something, it means that the #1 similarity is just a coincidence.

My hope is that, after you get this through your thick skull, you'll be able to open up and accept that other similarities might be coincidences as well.

Anyway, here's DS9 crediting Brandon Tartikoff.

The Rifleman statement was an offhand remark about a show including a father/son duo, and that's where it ends. The station, a place for aliens to work out differences, the "unknown enemy" conflict, shapechangers... all this shit was in the information given to Paramount 2 years before DS9 even released. I'm sure everything after the fact was damage control and an attempt to steer the opinion away from what actually happened; they took concept they had information for and used it for their own show.

Coincidence? Nigger, please.

Correction; information about B5 was given to Paramount in 89. DS9 didn't release until 1993.

Also, Tartikoff was a chairman of Paramount. lol.

Even IF DS9 is a bit of a B5 ripoff, it doesn't really matter. Hollywood studios rip off each other's ideas all the time, and nobody really gives a fuck.

Babylon 5 and DS9 are both good, but DS9 is better.
DS9 is better than any other Star Trek series too.
Nothing beats the Dominion War.

The Rifleman isn't just about a father/son duo, it's about WHERE they are and WHAT they're doing. That's where the concept of DS9 comes from, that's why DS9 is a little border town out on the edge of the frontier, right next to the great unknown, a place for people to work out their differences. It didn't come from Babylon 5.

I cannot tell you whether or not EVERY similarity is just a coincidence, but the most important similarity certainly is. So why not _consider_ the possibility for other similarities being coincidences as well?

>So why not _consider_ the possibility for other similarities being coincidences as well?
Because that's laughable bullshit.

Until today, you had never even heard of Brandon Tartikoff or The Rifleman before in your entire life. Today you learned something new.

Please don't operate under the assumption that you already know everything there is to know, and that none of the opinions you hold should ever be challenged.

lol, guy. Being wrong must suck for you.

All I asked was that you _consider_ the possibility. If that's too much to ask of you then we're never going to get anywhere.

I'm ready to stop shitting up the thread now. And you?

I don't need to consider shit when the evidence is right there in front of me.

DS9 fans not happy with ruining every star trek thread now they have to ruin every babylon 5 thread too

>not liking both equally
Don't be a dumb Drazi. I bet you like the wrong color too.

I watched DS9 and thought it was one of the best written shows ever.

I watch B5 after, sure the writings not as good but it has an unbeatable ending.

Definitely don't skip. There's some episodic stuff but you'll be glad for not skipping later.

Main thing with B5 is more than once you finish, don't feel the need to follow through with all the spinoff stuff. Basically none of it worked out.

If you want to make the most out of the epic ending watch it all user.

Eternal Permanent Reminder:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZapAjjTDbh4

I loved B5 so much I've started reading through all the canon books. I wanted to know what happened to people after the ending.

Why would you do that?

We don't watch Babylon 5

I love that I basically didn't even have to guess what that video would be. You just know.

Christ fuck I hate this show.

B5 is literally one of the greatest television shows ever created.

I we will never get it on blu ray in our life time.

Wow, that's a real dangerous opinion you have there. Do you think you can get away with hating BBT on Sup Forums unscathed?

You really shouldn't skip season 1. I know it seems boring now but I guarantee you'll appreciate the fuck out of season 1 later on.

Season 1 sets a precedent for how the station runs when there aren't galaxy ending crises around every corner. It plants the seeds for what happens between seasons 2-4 and if you pay attention you'll be saying, "Oh, yeah! There was that mentioned back in season 1, they actually followed up on it!" instead of "Where the fuck did that come from, literally nowhere!"

Just watch season 1 user. You won't be able to appreciate season 3 properly if you don't. Trust me.

Show gets good once Bruce Boxleitner shows up.

it's like a novel

Started rewatching B5 last week, been about 10 years since last time. It's really good Molari is still the king.