For my intro to Film class at York University we have to write a feminist essay about the female characters in Love...

For my intro to Film class at York University we have to write a feminist essay about the female characters in Love Actually and it's worth 25% of our grade.
Love >Actually Kill Me

No way

Also feminist writing is really easy, just pretend it's self parody

They're teaching you how to subvert their ideology by doing this.

This. Some students don't understand this handwaving and have to be spoon-fed with trp.

This
I chose the feminist option for every single essay I didn't want to write because they grade way more easily and they are fine with you regurgitating nonsense because that's what most feminist discourse is anyways

Smells like an easy grade. You know exactly what your professor wants.

Finish up the course and then take some actually useful or insightful ones, ya dumbass.

OP here. This is the exact quote of what the essay is about
>"From the schoolboy to the Prime Minister, several of the male characters in the film Love Actually have spotted the female of their dreams. Did they find their soul mate,their
philosopher friend? In the context of the above query, choose two characters from the following list to consider their voices – literal and metaphorical – in the film. Be sure to demonstrate your knowledge from the lecture that presented Kaja Silverman’s observations and analyses of the soundtrack in classic Hollywood cinema – especially her report on, and analysis of, the human voice and speech.
We also spend three entire 3 hour lectures listening to the prof mumble about this topic awkwardly

At least study literature if you go for art.

That really doesn't seem that bad, it seems open enough to really say anything

>Reading

>university of york

That is the only movie I ever walked out of. Ever. Fuck that movie.

'Oh but user, Alan Rickman is in it, it must be good!' said my friends.

Fuck you too Alan, what were you thinking.

Why the fuck would you take a film class at York instead Of going to the Toronto film school? Unless it's just an elective class or something but then that's just standard York bullshit I swear that school is retarded

University of or York Uni?

alright Lancaster, fuck off

it's the Cucknadian one

stop bitching. using different ideologies as a critical lens is vital when critiquing any form of media, you don't have to agree with those ideologies.

plus feminist is always a fucking easy grade

Who /halifax/ here?

rip-off charlatans

fucking kys lad

TFS is pretty overrated desu

I've also taken that class at YU. He's exaggerating slightly, but yeah, that's the gist of it.

The teacher was a fat asian woman yes? And her favourite movie was "Spring, summer, autumn, winter... and spring"?

> using different ideologies as a critical lens is vital when critiquing any form of media
No, it isn't.

>Unless it's just an elective class or something

That's exactly what it is.

>Choosing to get a failing grade because the internet made you an alt right cuckmaster deluxe

>going to film school instead of going to films

There's nothing they're teaching you that you couldn't learn just by reading books from Amazon and using a camera at home.

>guys, i took a shit-tier course and now I have to write stuff about shit-tier subject matter

Shocker.

Just enjoy the easy 3 years while it lasts user. The rest of your life will be working 60 hours a week at McDonald's.

yeah, it is

No, it isn't.

OP. Idk man I've heard that TFS is pretty much a scam. Heard it's very hard to find any sort of career after it.
(Side note: majoring in psych now, but I plan on switching to the screenwriting program next year because fuck it I was never looking for a career in psychology anyways)

Yup that's the one. Seriously though how did you not consider this subject a waste of time for 3 weeks?

The one in Leaf, which, knowing nothing about the one in Brexit, I can confidently say is probably worse

figured I could also get the BA which might help with getting slightly more decent jobs than without while I worked on films and shit

school isnt about learning, its about getting a qualification.

>York University

Why don't you just throw your tuition money out the window.

Literally what part of this do you interpret as forcing you to write a feminist essay?

hang what do you mean i had something similar in my animation class, she literally told me to read all these feminist books and i didnt, but subvert their ideology? you mean to like fight them back? wouldnt that just make you look like a rebel or anti-feminist, i was scared to incase they were like he's not willing to see our way mark him down

You sound like a fucking idiot, no wonder you go to York.

what the fuck

Now which part of that sentence did you fail to process?

you know what they say: if you can hold a fork, you can go to york

fuck off back to 9gag and stop posting this fat shit.

I processed just dont understand the rudeness. All I asked was what do you mean by subvert their ideology?

This.
You just have to write an impossible parallel universe where women are more intelligent, stronger and wise than man. It’s pretty funny actually. I did that (obviously, essay was “deadly serious”) for a class last year and got a straight A lol

I'm OP btw. other dude's not me

You have to write entirely in sarcastic contradictions

>Through her sexual promiscuity and lack of proper morals she embodies the worthless slut.

However this is what makes her so empowering to women.

What year are you in? What's your major? Have you never written an essay before? Judging by your previous post here it doesn't seem like it.

I still don't understand where you get the idea that you have to write this essay using a feminist perspective. The question you posted here is very open ended, as has been pointed out, and no where does it state you must argue from a specific perspective.

Just from the fact you've repeatedly complained about the professor, the seemingly non existent ideology you believe you are being force fed, the fact you don't seem to give two shits about actually doing research and thinking about the topic at hand, the fact you don't even know what the word subvert means, has lead me to the conclusion that yes, you are a fucking idiot. No wonder you go to York.

I went to film school.

Graduated.

Have been working at temp agencies since.

24 now (too old to start any more schooling, not that I'd know what to do)

The reality has slowly dawned on me that I lack the intelligence, charisma and connections to work with film in any meaningful way and that I will likely be stuck behind a cubicle for the rest of my life.

If I had known this, I would have just gone to trade school and learned to become a woodworker or something so I could have learned a practical skill and still have enough time to work on film as a hobby.

I also have a ton of debt from school.
I am also addicted to opiates, which I use much of my income on.
And I have not had sex in 3 years.

thank you for listening.

You me and everybody else pal.

>too old to start any more schooling
Yeah fuck off

24 isnt really old dude. which film school did you go to? couldnt even get a job at a news place or shit channel stations after? i guess it depends where you live.
also fuck temp agencies. i swear all my construction and warehouse experience i did while i was younger amounts to nothing since no where hires directly anymore.

Not too old to start schooling at all, you just need the money to

Thank you for telling me this, because I thinking about doing a masters in Film at York of all places after my Physics PhD for a bit of fun.

Hmm, maybe I'll look at Edinburgh instead.

The Kaja Silverman thing we have to talk about is all about how every female character in flim is written in a way where they never actually say what they want to say and just say whatever a male character extracts from them through either interrogation or confession.

York U from Canada.

Op means York University in Toronto not University of York in England

For the 1 millionth time

Then argue against it if you disagree

just to be clear. I'm OP. This is me. This is another dude

>risking upsetting your professor and getting bad grades

I would if it wasn't worth 25% of the class. (Prof and TA are all overt feminists. I'm not willing to let a triggered feminist be in control of 25% of my grade)

>Falling for that meme
Any professor who grades like that isn't worth your time. I suppose I was lucky, I never ran into professors like that when I was in university.

You can argue against it so long as you have proper sources and can articulate your thoughts well. Profs look for critical thinking backed up by proper sources.

Also there is a 90% chance your paper is being marked by some shitfuck TA, not the prof.

Also, and this will be my last post. The best advice I ever got before going to university was that "sometimes you will have to write essays and argue for things that you don't agree with"

It may seem like a waste of time, but at the end of the day if you put effort into it you'll still get something out of it, i.e. improving your research skills, writing skills, critical thinking etc. At the very least you will have ended up learning something about yourself, even if it is only finding out what you DON'T believe in. Good luck buddy.

>Getting actual real advice on Sup Forums.
Damn. Thanks for at least making this a little more bearable.
Tbh I'm more pissed about Love Actually than the feminist part of it kek

change your major

get out while you still can

what's your PhD about

>Love Actually
Is this even a feminist movie

Love Actually is romancekino