How the FUCK are toll roads legal? The concept doesn't even make sense...

How the FUCK are toll roads legal? The concept doesn't even make sense. I'm playing a toll to use a PUBLIC road that has traffic, speed traps, speed LIMITS, fucked up pavement, and what makes these tolls even worse is depending where you're going, it can severely impact traffic on roads without them. How is this legal? So I have to be fucking rich to avoid gridlock traffic? In NYC its especially ridiculous

Can someone explain this to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-07-15-u.s.-highways_x.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_road
m.youtube.com/watch?v=s2h92qYu_sg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>So I have to be fucking rich to avoid gridlock traffic?

No, you just go local.

In a libertarian world, all roads would be toll roads.

usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-07-15-u.s.-highways_x.htm

>public road

there's your problem.

the government is obligated to provide a moderate amount of transportation, but not obligated to provide enough transportation to make everyone comfortable. if you want to drive more comfortably then may the toll otherwise use the regular roads.

the people that use the roads pay for those roads. welcome to the real world. did you just get out of school or something?

*there would be no roads
FTFY

Parking meters.

The best part of it?
They used public funds for that toll road.
Your taxes went to funding that privatized toll road instead of getting the public road fixed.

Welcome to America. Will that be cash or charge?

Don't want to pay, don't use their road. Seems like a pretty simple concept to me.

damn this bitch is hot

Who is this broad?

Jess Davies

every road should be toll. Money goes to roads most used.

Most often toll roads are actually authorized by the government, but built and maintained by a private entity.

In order to pay the upkeep on the road and turn a modest profit that company is then allowed to charge a toll.

They're not even that expensive, here we can just buy a pike pass thats good for a year for around $100.

But who pays to maintain that dirt?

>How the FUCK are toll roads legal?

shut up it keeps the retards from driving on them

she looks like the wife from mad men only younger

That's my part tolls are an unnecessary burden on drivers WHO ALREADY PAID FOR THAT ROAD VIA TAXES

At minimum, the government is suppose to make its citizen comfortable. Yet somehow taxing you twice and calling it a toll is acceptable? How does that make sense?

Oh fucking Christ, don't even get me started on why parking meters are complete bullshit

Exactly you pay taxes to use those roads, yet SUPPOSEDLY tolls are used to pay for them AGAIN? THAT MAKES NO SENSE YOU GREEDY LITTLE SHITS

Its not a simple concept because its already paid for with taxes. So why am I paying again? Its like going to a bar and paying for one drink twice because "oh well you're sitting there drinking it" FUCK OFF.

No, it doesnt

could be worse.

you could live in California where you pay $1 in tax per gallon which goes directly to the "road fund" but the roads are still African tier.

This is the same state with 10% sales, income and property tax

>At minimum, the government is suppose to make its citizen comfortable
wut

Things like this is why I have always hated libertarians despite hating the government.

I have never seen a cop on a toll road

I know nothing about this topic. But I do want some sauce please.

I can't tell is that's a chick or a dude with boobs. Nice tits though.

roads shouldn't even be paid for by the public

I have never heard of a public toll road desu

>a dude with boobs
Australia, are you ok down there?

That's a man, baby

I live in New Jersey and I can pretty much confirm that tolls are the biggest meme in the world.

I've traveled a lot, and roads in other states look just as fine without their massive amount of tolls that we have. Our fucking transport money collected definitely doesn't all go to roads, but instead goes to other gay stupid shit or the pockets of politicians. Right now the system might go broke using the same budget as always and it's just been half the year so far, so now they're calling for an extra .23 cent gas tax to make more money for fucking roads.

Christie you fat cunt cmon, how much fucking money do you need to make the state fine, holy fuck what a joke.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_road

Maybe do some reading beofre posting dumbshit

For instance route 80 in Ohio has some tolls roads. It's public, and it has tolls.

I will second this.

As someone who maintains & builds roads for a living, most funding structures for toll roads do not receive additional revenues.

It depends on the specific entity because the bylaws are all made locally. In general though, most toll roads receive no funding from the gas tax or the state that they reside in. Some exceptions are made for federal dollars, but typically toll roads aren't given project priority by the FHWA.

The theme is that just because someone paid taxes doesn't mean those taxes went to the toll road. Threads like these make me realize just how willing people are to open their mouth on topics they know so little about.

U.S. numbered highways with the black and white shield, plus interstate blue shield highways are still free and will take you almost anywhere you need to go in conjunction with state and county roads. You don't have to pay the tolls.

They wouldn't all be toll roads. You libertarian skeptics see one scuff on the paint and burn down the whole house.

Why hold libertarianism to such a strict standard while giving the government a pass on virtually everything... from crappy roads to wanton murder?

nah i don't like those tits

>In a libertarian world, all roads would be toll roads.
There would be toll booths every 1000ft or so that force you to buy McDonalds or whatever, because corporations could do anything they damn well pleased - no regulations anymore!

Are you literally retarded? Other than her pussy being in CLEAD FUCKING VIEW, what tranny has natural tits like that?

Exactly it makes zero sense. The GSP and turnpike look like 3rd world roads, and NYC is an absolute joke. Then they have the BALLS to charge you up the ass to go in and out of the city ON TOP OF forcing you to go out via the Holland/Lincoln tunnel because you have to be fucking rich if you want to go through Staten island.

> mfw not knowing how to tuck

>"Hey guys the government is evil 100% not good get rid of it all desu"
>"What about all the things taxes fund?"
>"Hahaha don't burn down the house"

When will this fucking meme ideology die?

Exactly

There'd be flying cars

Stop repeating that meme.

In a libertarian world, very few roads would be toll roads because of the costs of maintaining and enforcing toll collection.

More than likely local entities would have to take a more proactive role in ensuring the roads stay fixed.

Japan does something interesting.

They use public funds and eminent domain powers to build rail and expressways. Then they hand over rail and the expressways over to private companies.

The companies collect the tolls and the train fares. They maintain the infrastructure. They get to run other for profit business on rail and expressways. Rail lines are usually run at a loss. Though the loss is made up by all the money they make from rail customers using the side businesses.

Same with the expressways.

Sounds like a great first step into fascism.

Japan also has an extreme problem with nepotism and lack of social mobility.

But that's none of our business

it gets even better

some toll roads are sold to private companies and they get the profit

I should also remind you that in Japan most cars are taken off the road after 10 years.

It's japan. Government and Corporate cooperation for the benefit of the nation is big there.

One of their airline CEOs has taken lots of pay cuts. Since he felt that it was his fault that the airline is doing poorly. He even eats in the company cafeteria, like a common worker.

I have. It's pretty common in New Hampshire, but they don't have a sales tax, so I guess that's where they get their money.

Meanwhile, in KS, where I live, my sales tax is over 10%, and my roads look like ass.

I know. I was stationed in Japan. I scrapped 3 cars in 6 years.

It is just cheaper for a military person to buy another beater that has 1-2 years of JCI left on it. Then to deal with the JCI inspection, repairs, etc.

If you see an old car. They are very well taken care of. that car is the owner's baby. if the car was wrecked. They would cry like a child died.

The real question is why do you live in a Communist state?
>tfw superior Wisconsin has no toll roads

When will straw man arguments die?

(OP)
You see, government is a monopoly. Monopolies are bad.

I don't need to tell you why monopolies are bad.

Social Mobility is a meme.

It is not the natural state of human societies.

mobility is only high when war, plague, or new colony causes a labor shortage. So labor can demand higher wages or grab ownership of land and capital for themselves.

otherwise you have to work your assoff to be exceptional. like imperial china's civil service exams. Roman military service turning Plebs into Patricians. Japan, where you have to work your ass off in school. Then land a good job in a good company. Then devote your entire life to the company. So you might get promoted up to the point of incompetence. Though if you screw up in Japan, your life is basically over.

For a practice that ends up hurting their new car export industry, you'd think they would stop it.

>Inb4 monopoly on roads and transportation

Yes it is the natural state of being.

You see that guy over there with the big fur? You kill him now you big guy with fur. Guy with woman? Kill him, now you guy with woman.

These artificial systems that supposedly support "merit" are just a way to cloak (((high achievers))).

So... Why are we paying for vehicle registration, tabs, and a driver's license if you're the ones who actually build muh road?

Let's eliminate the middleman.

>t. Sovereign Citizen

it keeps used car prices low. since cost of ownership is high. plus you can't own a car in japan until you own a parking space.

Japan doesn't have a place to dump their used cars either. They're a RHD country so the closet market for used cars are Australia and New Zealand.

England suffers the same problems with used cars.

used cars constantly getting recycled. means more domestic new car sales.

most of their export cars are made in the country they are going to be sold in.

social mobility as it existed in the USA after ww2. it was just a fluke. the fluke has run out and all the tricks are no longer working.

going to college and being a salaryman isn't going to rise you up to a better social economic standing than your parents. in fact Millennials are generally poorer than Gen X and Boomers. Which is the first time that has happened in the USA in a century.

We're not animals, and our ability to reason came from nature and is not artificial.

I want the big fur. I go kill a big animal and make my own, or I trade. Both are safer than conflict. Is it then such a surprise how quickly division of labor caught on and the prosperity that followed?

The bell is tolling soon for Hillary Clinton! Trump 2016! Watch****
m.youtube.com/watch?v=s2h92qYu_sg

Troll harder. No libertarian ever has said the government shouldn't at least coordinate the roads.

>Nissan
>Capable truck

Choose one.

It still depresses exports. IIRC most of the cars get shipped off to Africa anyway.

>social mobility after WW2

It never even existed so it wasn't even a fluke. The longer term trend was that there was an abundance of cheap land and very few people to work it. We are running out of land and have too many people cramming into ever smaller places. As it stands no generation has ever done better than their parents. Ever.

Division of labor occurred because people were pushed off of traditional pastoral lands. When you can't grow your own food you need to acquire food somehow. Cheap labor made the division of labor into a cost effective solution. If labor was not cheap then it would not have changed anything to be able to articulate a concept.

History didn't start when Adam Smith jewed a book into existence.

The problem isn't the toll roads. It's that you didn't bother to do a fucking five second Google search and answer your own retarded question. You are the best argument for eugenics/pro-choice.

Toll roads aren't roads the government, and therefore you, pay for with taxes. Toll roads are roads created by private businesses. They create and maintain the roads, and so they charge people to use them. If you don't want to use them, use a different road.

Not always.

Chances are, toll roads were not built when the original roads were made, and after years of observation, they had to fund the toll road and the tolls are to pay it back

This was done by bonds in a toll in my state recently

>I'm paying a toll to use a PUBLIC road that has traffic, speed traps, speed LIMITS, fucked up pavement, and what makes these tolls even worse is depending where you're going, it can severely impact traffic
b8?

Usually not, because to make a road you need considerable political and economic leverage to get the land for your road.
99% of the time its government built using tax money then they sell it off to a private company to run the road and collect tolls.
This isnt inherently.worse than paying road tax, in some ways it is more fair because you pay for the road when you use it, if you dont use it you dont pay. But usually what happens is the government sells off the road for a value far less than it spent to build it so taxpayers get double shafted by the governmebt and then by the private ownership

Yeah, everyone in Somalia is living like the Jetsons.

Just get an EZ Pass you cuck

NJ, PA
Especially PA. Pendot does the work on the roads...which involves putting out construction signs and barrels for 15 miles every 20 fucking miles.
Note PA already has a 50 cent gas tax (on top of federal) and still has a shit ton of toll roads. About 10 cents a mile.

Who is this woman? Please don't say she fell for the egalitarian meme.

>U.S. numbered highways with the black and white shield, plus interstate blue shield highways are still free
The standard highway signage has nothing to do with it being a toll road or not.

I bet you have to pay garbage collectors every week too...
>>Pleb-merica can't unto civic life
>>"What are taxes for anyway?"

>No libertarian ever has said the government shouldn't at least coordinate the roads

except for the part where some libertarians want to abolish the state all together
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism

This

>OP and many other anons here don't bother studying street maps, and learning which roads to take at certain times.

Baka, I have a mental map of my city's road network and which side streets to take/rat run in when traffic gets bad. Even know in my commuting routes exactly which lanes to be in and when to switch lanes to get somewhere in the shortest time possible.

>I'm playing a toll to use a PUBLIC road that has traffic,
its actually not public so good try.

>government has to be in charge of the roads, so we won't be tortured by libertarian toll booths!
>government goes to the market, envelopes are put in the right hands, Mr. Shekelstein's road company is hired, and receives the right to charge a toll until the cost of the road is paid off (which is easily inflated as there's no real competition) and in the end more envelopes are put in the right hands to keep the scheme going

you sure showed those libertarians

You could pay a subscription to use a network of roads.

You can tuck, but you can't tuck your dick into a vagina

Theres two branches. One leads to Anarcho-Capitalism(Non aggression principle is king). The other is just very limited government.

Power is dangerous, and we should confine it to only what is needed and expressly stated in the Constitution. The postal service is authorized and expressly mentioned and so even if UPS or FedEx is better. I still want USPS(except much less regulation on competition)

Yeah, the only way for any business to function and profit is to extract tolls, especially when they're highly obstructive to the service itself and derided by clients.

That's why the internet is so restricted. My wallet can't handle all the tolls I have to pay to open a browser, use a search engine, access new websites, install plugins, upload files in formats not owned by the government. The .webm license alone is $100/year.

A government monopoly on software development is the only way we're going to topple the modern robber barons and make the internet accessible.

I don't give them a pass on everything. I just said I hate the government. That said, there are valid governmental purposes, one of which is keeping a functioning interstate system of transit.

Roads are an example of an Public good, which is part of a market failure in the free market system in which a market would not form.
They're non rival in Consumption (Consumption by one consumer does not restrict consumption by other consumers).
Non rejectable (The collective supply of a public good for all means that it cannot be rejected by people, a good example is a nuclear defence system or flood defence projects).
Non excludable (The benefits derived from pure public goods cannot be confined solely to those who have paid for it).
Toll roads are quasi public goods as they are Semi-non-excludable:
It is possible but often difficult or expensive to exclude non-paying consumers. E.g. fencing a park or beach and charging an entrance fee; building toll booths to charge for road usage on congested routes.
Thus, in order to have the free market produce them, they require to charge so that the free market economy can produce them and make viable profit.

Econ101

* a (not an)

>I can't tell
therefore you don't need to know

Paige Judd

>In a libertarian world, all roads would be toll roads.
Implying it wouldn't just be like the internet or TV, billboards with commercials fucking everywhere and with coca cola and pepsi outbidding themselves each year to get to name the road.
>so you go down pepsi avenue, take a turn left on mcflurry street and then its just 5 blocks down to vagisil square.

I bet it would work better to since the corporations buying the advertising wouldn't want shitty roads bringing bad PR.