/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png
i.imgur.com/OR95Lah.jpg
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjtR2wP2lNfJ1aMPUAPajzRb
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjswVECsah7eHI62FU0tmkMD
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjuZAq2TarTCXPk8wbeDJyxH
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjuPCVMfI5t6hjQtHzAkCBzc
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjthpSzgWCpvK2Qocrx4Saas
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKOFawUskk6b--T-jZZBEfT645pU2_Vgt
discord.gg/9EMAAef
hungarianreference.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

LANGUAGE-SPECIFIC IMAGE GUIDES/WALKTHROUGHS:

>Arabic
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png

>Farsi
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png

>Finnish
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png

>French
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png

>German
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png

>Irish
i.imgur.com/OR95Lah.jpg

>Japanese
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png

>Mandarin (traditional characters)
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png

>Russian
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png

>Spanish
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png

>Swedish
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png

>Turkish
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg

>evacuate do to nothingburger hurricane
>come back wanting to visit a comfy language thread
>it's not here
>last one I can find was made on Sunday
We're really hanging on by a thread here at /lang/, aren't we?

Is it worth learning how to write Russian in cursive?

What do you guys think of Let's Speak Korean? The series is on youtube in HQ. The host is qt as fuck.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjtR2wP2lNfJ1aMPUAPajzRb
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjswVECsah7eHI62FU0tmkMD
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjuZAq2TarTCXPk8wbeDJyxH
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjuPCVMfI5t6hjQtHzAkCBzc
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzYHLNgFdRjthpSzgWCpvK2Qocrx4Saas
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKOFawUskk6b--T-jZZBEfT645pU2_Vgt

People had more time for it in Summer I guess

Oh, yeah, school is back in, that's right. I joined the discord hoping the autism will continue. Seems these threads will just keep dying.

...tfw haven't studied in over a week

help...

Just get back on it. Do a few days review, then you'll be back on track.

I'm fairly certain almost all handwriting in Russian is done in cursive, so if you plan to ever write it then yes.

Anyone else here studying German?

What is the best resource for grammar? Should I buy a grammar textbook?

So far I have been doing Pimsleur (almost done with level 1) and Duolingo. I feel like I really need to work on my grammar.

Is Duolingo Japanese on the app decent for someone who just wants to pickup a few things to say and get around with before going on a trip there?

What's the /lang/ discord? Is it active?

Is it... comfy?

See if this works: discord.gg/9EMAAef

Yeah, it's pretty comfy. I wish there was more people learning and speaking my language, but it's new.

I have mixed feelings about discords for threads. I feel like they steal traffic and the last thing we need is stolen traffic, but on the other hand they also keep a group together whom can make new threads and keep that sense of community when done right.

Why do all language sites have to be money grubbing paywall whores? What happened to the days people would share stuff because they were enthusiastic about what they were doing.

I found a really good, amateurish, site for learning the arabic alphabet and sounds. It would give you 2-3 letters a lesson, then 'flashcards' with a single letter in a word highlighted, you'd answer then be able to listen to the sound and get the meaning of the word. Then there was a second set of 'flashcards' which would use words containing letters you have learned so far, as well as audio and meaning of the word.

Really great except only the first 6 lessons get the flashcards free after that you have to pay for access to the remaining 8 lessons.

What a ballache.

>What happened to the days people would share stuff because they were enthusiastic about what they were doing.
That hasn't been a thing for a decade, and when people do share stuff for free and with quality, search engines favor highly commercial sites instead so such content is often hard to find. The Internet is more of a mall now than an information dissemination platform.

it cool to join and hang out if i don't own a mic?
i'm learning russian and ukrainian.

I've been using Routledge Intensive German Course as my main grammar text. Its not meant for self studying, but it was the best textbook i could find :/

Yeah, people just use it as a bloated IRC channel.

Do you have a pdf/ebook of it? It looks pretty pricey

Yeah, it's part of a collection of textbooks. It's called German Language Learning Pack on piratebay.

vielen dank

I tried memrise and I don't really like it.

Does anyone like memrise? Is it good enough to stick with?

kein problem

Nicht so gut. Ich kann spreche nur ein bisschen. Ich praktizieren nicht genug.

Chai and conversation is great.

>praktizieren
Conjugate that to match the first person sg.

They use "Rede" or "Sprache" for "spoken language"/"speech"

I'm not learning German but I had to. Sorry

Ich praktiziere nicht genug

Gave me a headache.

Never used a 'language site' in my life.

Go to Google Books, download every free, Victorian grammar book of [language] and learn.

It's seen me through Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Qur'anic Arabic, and now Sanskrit.

So you just start translating from text rather than any kind of structured learning program?

Yeah. Start at basic declension, work up from there.

Starting out with nonsense 'conversations' in coffee shops is no way to learn a language.

Here's my German book, from 1866.

Search on reddit, there's a subreddit for almost everything :D

>using a grammar book

Scrub. Two copies of the bible is all i need.

Seriously though, congratulations that's an impression list of languages.

>t. white male

Ich auch. Meine Kollegen können alles Englisch sprechen, deshalb wir sprechen Englisch. Am Supermarkt und so weiter es ist sehr stressig.

No, honestly, the problem with self-teaching is the minimal feedback. Thank you.

I'm supposed to meet my 6'2" swiss qt tomorrow for some irl german practice, so hopefully I wont embarrass myself too much

Good luck you lucky bastard

In Turkish, when should I use an Arabic loan word vs a newer Turkish word? I've seen lots of examples use either and then sometimes I see instances where one or the other is the only one used. Is it mostly personal choice or are there some loan words you just don't use anymore?

give an example

For the father-in-law bit in your pic, I would actually say "vous" unless the parent-in-law says it's okay to use "tu". Asking makes it look like it's a hassle to be polite and can be frowned upon by upper classes.

t. someone who has to use "vous" with his parents-in-law

Dream is one I see a lot, düş or rüya?

>brit learning Arabic and Sanskrit
pottery

makes you ponder

how is that poetic

they mean the same thing but their usage area is somewhat different. rüya is almost always used as the dream in your sleep, as for düş we usually use it as "düşlemek(which means daydreaming more than dreaming)" or "düşlerimde(in my dreams)". it is kinda a niche word which is mostly used by songwriters and authors, if you don't believe me you can google düşlerimde
there is no clear answer to your question, we use them in different contexts depending on what we are trying to say, given that they are popular enough( there is başarı and muvaffakiyet which mean the same thing but we never use muvaffakiyet). I think the popularity may be correlated with how beautiful it sounds, düş sounds shitty and it also means `to fall`, also we never say düşümde(in my dream) because it sounds even shittier
therefore you should avoid using düş. rüya and hayal are the words you should focus on

Cuck brit assimilates to foreigner instead of the opposite.

there will be more users on /lang during new years resolution time

here is my progress with Norwegian

Does that 'pretty' sound rule apply to other words? Like siyah and kara or beyaz and ak?

what culture would he assimilate to by learning dead languages?

>the only languages you can learn are either dead or come from brown people
pottery

it's not a rule, just a correlation that I observed, not limited to synonyms but all the grammar rules like consonant softening. hardening, dropping etc. are aimed to make words sound better, but there are definitely tons of synonyms that could prove me wrong.
siyah and beyaz are the most common ones, kara is really common too but ak is rarely used. imo again the reason kara is used commonly is that it flows with some nouns better than siyah
>kara tahta - black board
>kara kalem - pencil
>kara toprak - a metaphor for grave(don't memorize this)
as I said these are not facts, there is no exact rule for this so you better learn the most common words, then pick up the synonyms later. everyone will understand you regardless of whether you say siyah kalem or not so don't worry

Harika! Teşekkür ederim! That's been bugging me for awhile. The best answer I found is that people with more nationalistic pride will use the new Turkish words more.
Do you know if there are any of the old Arabic loanwords that were completely replaced?

Szia! Good resource for Hungarian?

The only language he learned that isn't dead is French.

And there's nothing shameful with learning the languages from ancient cultures.

Are you looking for beginner level material?

Do you take into account economic opportunities when selecting a language?

>that second image for Japanese
wew lad

Normalfag bullshit is the last thing you should care about.

Nope, I learned Japanese out of interest (read: I was a weeb that liked anime), and I'm learning German now because I'm in a German speaking country and languages are cool, so im cashing in on the opportunity

tl;dr
this

>Normalfag bullshit
Is money really a normalfag thing now?

I know where you're coming from. Studying languages is sort of a hobby for me, and I usually just pick a language that I like, the language used on a country/region I want to travel to and/or a language I can pick up with little effort, regardless of how "useful" it might be in the future.

It's just that I've realized that (perhaps unconsciously, or perhaps due to exposure due to relevance) all the languages that I've learned, that I'm trying to learn, or that I've studied informally for a while due to sheer interest, are on this list.

I mean, I just saw this chart relatively recently, yet I've studied to varying degrees every language on the top 9, and can speak with (at least) basic competency 5 out of the top 7.

>I learned Japanese out of interest (read: I was a weeb that liked anime)
俺もそうだった。
そして、実際にそれでチャンスを得たんだ。
来年から日本での大学院に入ることになってる。

Right now I'm trying to learn Chinese, mostly to remove my shortcomings with Japanese (i.e. Kanji and Chinese vocab), but also because I've become a huge chinaboo over time. If (when) I succeed, I'd have 6 out of the top 7 under my belt, by pure chance.

i am learning Spanish despite El Salvador being poor-hole
if economicc power mattered, the only language I would need in my country for work, would be German

マジで?どこの?東大や京大ならうらやましいわー。
高校生の時、日本で留学したんだ。多分その体験のおかげでいまスイスで働いていると思う。その留学体験で俺の未来は国際的になってるように見える。すごくたのしみにしてるね ^ー^

But El Salvador is far from the only country that speaks Spanish.

I'm not really advocating that people should take this into account, I'm just wondering aloud due to accidentally having followed that trend.

残念ながら、東大も京大も受けたけど、だめだった。
今のところ、三つの大学から承諾書が来てるんだけど、たぶんNAISTの方にする。
日本での高校生活って、マジでにうらやましいんだけど。やったな。

まぁ、それでもいいなー。ただ日本に住むでも楽しめる。頑張ってな。
wwwやったな。my fucking weeb ass やったわ。正直に言えば、日本での高校生活のおかげで自分自身やソーシャル能力を改善できてた。JKに何回も「きゃあかわいい!」って言われるとそんなことやんなーwwwww

>JKに何回も「きゃあかわいい!」
この通りなのか?
それはそれでうらやましいなんだけどな…

>duolingo is a good start, but apparently it's a little harder than other courses
>the devs tried to clarify grammar tho
>get a copy of colloquial or teach yourself, and do a chapter a day
>hungarianreference.com/ is what it says on the tin
>glossika might be a good resource to learn a large amount of vocab and speech patterns once youre around A2 or almost but their courses tend to be hit or miss
>use some memey shit like hellotalk to find natives
>have fun

>3,400 words for Norwegian
>2,700 words for Spanish
something is fishy

It's more related with age, old people tend to use Arabic words more since it was more common back then. some of the hardcore AKP supporters(that are not completely retards) intentionally use Arabic words more, all the pro-AKP newspapers do that too. educated people tend to not make grammar mistakes rather than trying harder to use Turkish words, they just go with the most common one
there are tons of words that were replaced, and they are still in our dictionary. one example is muaşaka which means sex

the norwegian tree got updated and has waaaaaaaay more content

>there will be more users on /lang during new years resolution time
Oh, that's kind of like my other general Glad to hear it really. I love this thread.

tbhonestly its the only reason I come to Sup Forums

Thanks again, mate. Big help.

Same. Sometimes I chime in on other threads I see in passing that are of interest, but I really like that this thread tries to keep a fairly high standard of quality. People are genuinely trying to help eachother learn.

>Go to a country
>Someone asks you something in English
>Use their native language back

Is this autistic?

>Well first, it started late.
Should this be:
>"Bien primero, comenzó tarde."
or
>"Bueno primero, comenzó tarde."

Generally, it's polite to respond in whatever language someone spoke to you in. You can always ask "Do you mind if we speak X? I'm trying to learn/practice."

My biggest fear is I asked to speak in their language and then we end up having to speak English anyway.

Ond þu? Nietst þu þin landsprǣċ wiþ þǣm?

This happens to me all the time in Spanish. They don't mind. I mean don't ask if it is something time critical or someone in a rush on the job, ask it in more relaxed settings to start. I.e. not the checkout counter when there is a line of 20 people behind you, but yes if you are the only one.

Things I've given up studying:
>Comfy music in the car
>Comfy tv at night

I hope it's worth it.

To clarify: I don't watch tv or listen to much music anymore because I'm always studying my target language. TV I can deal without, but, I do also miss the news and some more intelligent shows/documentaries. And I do miss the music...

I've studied english for more than20 years, and I speak shitty english . Fuck

How many hours per day? That's the issue there probably. If you only study a little bit here and there, you'll progress extremely slowly.

Bump

bump

How much time are you spending studying today, /lang/?

I did about an hour in public transport, I'll try to do two hours of listening-reading practice now... well soon
u?

Yeah, but for Farsi it's less about the amount of business done in the language and more the fact that few Americans learn it and it's politically relevant. That will lead to economic opportunities for me.

No, maybe, I don't know. We are all autistic here, how are we supposed to distinguish what's autistic from what's not?

I do a few hours of audio stuff at work but it's mostly the same stuff on repeat at this point. Then I try to do an hour or two of book stuff st home after work

>u?
I'll have about 45min of Pimsleur between going to work and back, plus an hour at lunch doing Quizlet Long Term Learning / SRS. Maybe a bit at home too, although I'm finding when I push too much studying in at night I don't retain it very well.

0 but i usually do most of my language stuff late at night.

I get sleepy. I wish I didn't need 7-8 hours sleep. I have a friend that does just fine on 4. I'm very jealous. 4 murders me.

Emruz chi kar kardid? Man gaza ra kharidam: nan, chai, mahi va berenj.
Thus, I learned the words "mahi" and "berenj" (fish and rice)

>Emruz chi kar kardid?
Man kar kardam diruz.
> Man gaza ra kharidam: nan, chai, mahi va berenj.
Emruz ham man daaram chai minusham.

wew, i'm still way below this level. I had to google translate a bit. I had class yesterday and I'm making some flashcards today.

I found a great video course site for arabic , it has everything from beginner MSA and Quranic courses through to intermediate stuff.

However, the alphabet/sounds lessons are 18mins for two letters. It's not even super detailed stuff, the 'teacher' just repeats stuff multiple times and talks as slow as fuck.

vacation in the US/Canada/UK

like 10 mins for anki (just started earlier this week so that should pick up over time)
like 10 to 40 mins of duolingo, depending on my level of tollerance for bullshit that day
Most days I try to do at least an hour of listening/grammer/writing stuff after work