Is Sauron considered a Lich? I know he was called a Necromancer...

Is Sauron considered a Lich? I know he was called a Necromancer, but he also poured all is life and power into a single magical artifact.

A what??

Liches are undead. Sauron is very much alive and isn't even killed at the end of the trilogy.

none of this DnD bullshit was invented in Tolkiens time, so he didn't think of him like that. can you try and retroactively put DnD labels on characters in LOTR? yeah, but whats the point.

No.

This

To begin with he's a maia
And not even in a mortal body like Gandalf afaik
I'm pretty sure death doesn't really even exist for him, losing his physical form like is like getting the wind punched out
It'll knock him down, but he'll be up in a bit again

BUT WHAT WAS HIS ALIGNMENT?!?!?!

Sauron is textbook Lawful Evil.

Lawful good.

He thought he was doing right and only wanted order and peace, and was willing to do anything to get it. He wasn't a bad guy, really, but he also wasn't a good guy. Morgoth was an asshole though.

>In my story Sauron represents as near an approach to the wholly evil will as is possible. He had gone the way of all tyrants: beginning well, at least on the level that while desiring to order all things according to his own wisdom he still at first considered the (economic) well-being of other inhabitants of the Earth. But he went further than human tyrants in pride and the lust for domination, being in origin an immortal (angelic) spirit. Sauron desired to be a God-King, and was held to be this by his servants, by a triple treachery: 1. Because of his admiration of Strength he had become a follower of Morgoth and fell with him down into the depths of evil, becoming his chief agent in Middle Earth. 2. when Morgoth was defeated by the Valar finally he forsook his allegiance; but out of fear only; he did not present himself to the Valar or sue for pardon, and remained in Middle Earth. 3. When he found how greatly his knowledge was admired by all other rational creatures and how easy it was to influence them, his pride became boundless.
>—J.R.R. Tolkien

>I'm pretty sure death doesn't really even exist for him, losing his physical form like is like getting the wind punched out
It'll knock him down, but he'll be up in a bit again
He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink
He sings the songs that remind him of the good times
He sings the songs that remind him of the best times

>Melkor, Song of the Ainur: Haha I'm going to act retarded on purpose, dad's gonna freak
Wew he was such shit

It's literally the other way around. Morgoth was just autistic and edgy. He wasn't really to blame.

Well the 'undead' aren't exactly 'dead' either.

Sauron dominates others against their will, that's really the core essence of evil. Morgoth was who wanted to create something of his own, Aule also went that way but he had humility and repented.

To be fair though, he wanted that because it would've been better for them. Free will is for chumps.

>And not even in a mortal body like Gandalf afaik
When the ainur take form, their form itself is vulnerable, but their "true form" is an immortal spirit/angelic being.
I think that their ability to take corporeal form can be revoked, because Sauron was only able to be bound to middle earth because of the ring, and the death of Saruman where he's dispersed into the winds. Morgoth/Melkor sank most of his energy into corrupting existence itself that he's ultimately bound to it as well - and would still be manifesting if he hadn't been suplexed by Tulkas, and thrown outside of the space time continuum, though he's still destined to return at not-ragnarok.

>Aule also went that way but he had humility and repented.
Aule is responsible for nearly as much bullshit as Melkor. Which makes sense since Tolkien was a luddite, and saw technology as a means of achieving power without wisdom and power of oppression. He fought in WWI and lived through WWII, so he had the horrors of technology eternally PTSD'd onto his brain. Sauron and Saruman both forsake wisdom and humility and used their knowledge to dominate and destroy others.

Interesting thing is that both Saruman and Sauron were Aule's heralds, both ended up being corrupted. The Noldor were also close to Aule and went batshit.

Who would win 1v1: Gimli or Legolas?

Assume too close for arrows

Dwarves can destroy anyone at close range brawls. They're sturdy as stone. Also read what happened to Thingol.