What are some of the biggest Oscars injustices in history?

What are some of the biggest Oscars injustices in history?
Off the top of my head:
>Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise were not even nominated for Fire Walk with Me
>2001 lost to a fucking shitty musical
>Zootopia won best animated movie

Ryan Gosling getting nominated for his 'acting'

A Beautiful Mind winning over The Fellowship of the Ring and Moulin Rouge

Rush not even getting a single nomination

This hasn't happened yet, even though it unboubtedly will.

are you nostradamus?

anyway the animation category is a joke and there were a lot of actual injustices you could've chosen. Shrek winning over Monsters, Inc. Big Hero 6 winning over The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. Zootopia was great by the way.

Tron and tron legacy not winning best effects

>Gigi won over Vertigo
>subpar Bergman's were nominated in the 70s but not Magic Flute
>Going My Way won over To Have and Have Not

>Shrek winning over Monsters, Inc.
That's a tough call though.

Sean Penn playing a gay guy beating Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler

Denzel Washington beating Casey Affleck

>Suicide Squad gets nomination for Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
>literaly painted hair and gel

lol nope. Monsters, Inc is a masterpiece and Shrek has a macarena reference in the year 2001

I have to agree with you fellow user, both films were fun.

Sean Penn winning for Milk over Rourke in the Wrestler.

Completely political move, I knew the Oscars were just popularity parties in the first place but that's when I completely washed my hands of them.

I even liked Milk, but The Wrestler was 10 times the movie Milk was.

Not really, they both acted impeccably well

The actual upset and injustice would be Gosling

>What are some of the biggest Oscars injustices in history?

I dunno about injustices, you can always argue one way or another, but god is there a lot of Best Movies that are just forgotten.

Anyone remember The Artist? Fucking Hollywood giving itself a handjob about a forgettable movie.

How about Spotlight? It won just 2 years ago. Not heard it mentioned then or after.

Argo was in 2012.

>>Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise were not even nominated for Fire Walk with Me

Lmao

Should have been nominated

The Artist was far more tolerable than La La Land. Probably because silent films are such a distant artifact and were on their way out in the early days of the Oscars.

Shakespeare in Love? Huh?
-No nomination for Andy Serkis for LotR or PotA
-Annie Hall beating Star Wars for Best Picture (at the time, maybe it was okay, but History is shaking it's head.)
-For people who think Fellowship of the Ring or The Two Towers should have won Picture or Director, I really feel like the Academy was waiting until the trilogy was done, and gave everything to Return of the King.

That's pretty much academy's voters understanding/appreciation of animated films. It's all just a bunch of fun kid's movies, whatever.

Shrek was cultural diarrhea though.

Ice Station Zebra had great VFX didn't it?

Also Oliver! is much more of a classic than 2001, at least imho.

This desu he uses the same "accent" in The Nice Guys, Crazy Stupid Love, Gangster Squad

Yes, Fences is an excellent play.

If Cate Blanchett reprised the role of Blanche from her award winning stage production of Streetcar, reciting the monologues word for word but on camera instead of on the stage, I wouldn't want her to win the oscar either. Plus she already has two, just like Denzel.

t. Didn't see Fences

All of these winners were perfectly deserved.

>martian nominated for best picture
like what the fug

Michael Shannon not getting nominated for Take Shelter and 99 Homes
Daniel Bruhl not getting nominated for Rush
Isabelle Huppert losing to Emma Stone

DDL didn't get the oscar for Bill the Butcher.

Bill felt truly alive, he was so fucking cartoonish he broke through the other side and came out real.

Big Hero 6 winning that year was super disappointing. It was easily the least inspired film on the roster. I would have even been cool with boxtrolls winning over it.

>DDL didn't get the oscar for Bill the Butcher.

objectively his worst role

Don't forget Memoirs of a Geisha

t. Filthy mick immigrant

Not even best score?

Big Hero 6 was just 'Lets do some DIVERSITY!'.

The characters were awful, it was a huge cliche with boring action tacked on. The early trailers looked great too. Just cringey appeasement of SJWs.

>Shakespeare in Love winning the best pic award over The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan
>Big Hero 6 winning over Song of The Sea and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
>Sicario not nominated for the best pic or the best direction
>Zero Dark Thirty getting nominations in the big categories
>Hurt Locker winning best pic and direction

I want Kubo and the two strings to win in best animated film.
it would be unfortunate if zootopia wins but at least its a fun movie

no user
animation is for children

Every category you can vote in comes with 3 questions that require having seen the movie to answer correctly. No multiple choice.

If you submit a ballot with more than 3 wrong answers it is discarded and you do not receive a ballot the next year.

Fuck the Academy.

drive not winning best picture

Babe winning best visual effects over Apollo fucking 13

drama > everything else, get the program

The Oscars is the greatest injustices,

Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption lost against Forrest Gump.

La La Land winning

Every year, literally who gives a fuck. It's 70 year old jews picking between the three movies with most advertising.

CGI FuckFest Life of Pie best cinematography

>frozen won that year

The Departed taking best picture while Apocalypto wasn't even nominated

FUCKING J E W S

why are you all mad about movies made for kids

grow up

If there are three questions, how do you get more than three wrong?

Zodiac not getting recognized at all

David Thewlis not being nominated for anything for Naked.

How the fuck that happened is beyond me

Shit taste bruh

>why are you all mad about movies made for kids

>grow up

you're a cuck if you watch the oscars or any award show.
>HAHAH ARENT US FAMOUS RICH PEOPLE SO GREAT? LETS GIVE EACH OTHER PATS ON THE BACK AND TROPHIES, LET THOSE NON FAMOUS/RICH PEOPLE WATCH US BE SO GREAT

embarrassing desu

calm down edgelord

>Big Hero 6 winning over The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.
This a thousand times, and I'm not even a weeb.

>and I'm not even a weeb.

King's Speech winning BP over Social Network
Tom Hooper best director over Fincher

Worst of this decade

Uhh Babe actually required skill in creating animatronic talking animals that actually looked realistic compared to everything else in the fucking 90s etc.

The Godfather has a lot.

Coppola not winning best director after having to fight against the useless studio who wanted to change everything along the way.

Al Pacino not winning best support actor (also a joke that he wasnt nominated for a lead role, but at least that would have given the academy a chance to give both him and Brando oscars).

I also think its a joke that De Niro won best lead for Godfather 2. Pacino's performance is simply better. De Niro's performance is wooden and probably the worst portrayal of character development of any character in Godfather 1 or 2.

I watched The Kings Speech on Tuesday. It was a solid film but no where near Oscar worthy. While the acting was great and the cinematography was good there was no depth and barely even a theme to think about.

Merryl Streep being nominated for almost every fucking decent roles in very forgettable movies.

She is completely irrelevant since 2003 at least and people are still voting for her!?!

de niro won supporting, not lead

someone else won lead

Social Network was shit

>muh epic rowing scene

Jennifer Lawrence over everyone but mainly Emmanuelle Riva

Even if Oliver is more of a classic the award is for "Best Picture" Not which film will live on to be more of a classic.

>actually watching movies, nah, i saw those two good ones, let's vote for that one chick you know the one i always vote for

>Monsters Inc is a masterpiece

>What are some of the biggest Oscars injustices in history?
user, I think you need to change your mode of thought.

This although I think Sean Penn is the most boring actor ever.
Mickey Rourke actually dedicated himself to every bit of The Wrestler.

Also Gran Torino didn't even get nominated for a fucking thing at the 2009 oscars whereas Slumdog Millionaire won best picture, what a shitty year.

Yea got that mixed up, its still a poor performance though, nowhere near Oscar worthy.

The entire Don Vito story is poor, the villain Don is a one dimensional joke character and De Niro has no character development at all, he just suddenly decides to become the main man and does it effortlessly with no prior experience.

This thread is full of shit everywhere, but this is insane. What are you people on? Oliver! is a very good musical but 2001 is gazillions of time the bigger classic, more influential and immensely more remembered and praised. One isn't even on the top 50 of the decade, the other is one of the few legitimate contenders for GOAT.

>tfw The Martian won Best Comedy at the Golden Globes
Even Ridley Scott looked confused

Third act butchered the whole film. Sometimes it's better to Let a monkey to be a monkey and bug samurai to be a bug samurai

Didn't even got nominated.

I don't consider Oliver more of a classic. I was saying even if it was considered that it still shouldn't have won.

I can understand him winning Best Actor that year but Best Picture is pushing it.

Babe and Babe 2 are pure kino you pleb

One of the worst he made so far.

Scorsese got that one because of all the years the Academy snubbed him hard, especially with Raging Bull and Goodfellas.
I have no qualms with it.

>De Niro is awful and bad on The Godfather II
Jesus

>Rocky over Taxi Driver

C'mon now

>Kubrick never won Best Picture

How

Kubrick is not a movie

He's a meme director who appeals mostly to teenage boys

desu everyone should compare that to the untouchables where he actually was fucking shit

Hitchcock, Kubrick and PTA not getting not one Oscar for directing/writing
Gladiator winning
Crash winning
Tom Cruise not getting one, not even from Magnolia. Wasn't even nominated for Collateral
Scorsese won for The Departed not his earlier better work
Birdman/The Revenant
Joaquin Phoenix not getting one
Art Garney over Pacino and Nicholson

When La La Land wins awards even though it is a meme film made to bait awards while kino like Moonlight gets a pat on the back

Dances with Wolves beating Goodfellas

don't worry moonlight will get a pity oscar, else it'd be asking for a racewar

Because he didn't make the easiest most popular flicks and wasn't greatly revered at the time.

I was gonna say that von Trier has never even gotten nominated but he actually got a song nomination for the Björk thing where he actually contributed nothing because Björk is popular and cute.

>plebs actually think La La Land is better than Moonlight

Your Name shoulda been nominated

OMG did you see that joke with the sloths!??! SO FUCKING GOOD.

Gran Torino had some of the shittiest acting I've seen a major picture largely on the part of the gooks.

jokes on you I haven't watched any of those 2 movies

>I love niggers and fags

If we're projecting this hard

Hitchcock never deserved one, PTA has already been in line to get one for his whole career. They learned enough from Kubrick that he will get one for a movie that's like his 4th best just like Scorsese.

quads confirm. is no one gonna check those numbers?